Barclays Premier league 07/08 thread

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 184 comments
Why sack Sam? He was doing well with Bolton and has a decent track record. He needs longer than 8 months to make an impression on Newcastle. It's not as if they have ever been consistently good. I heard Harry Redknapp is favourtie to get the job.

The question begs, why would Harry leave Porstmouth? He's turned them into a good side and is on the brink of getting them into Europe, why would he leave right before that happens.

The question begs, why would Harry leave Porstmouth? He's turned them into a good side and is on the brink of getting them into Europe, why would he leave right before that happens.

Well I was told he turned Tottenham for that very reason. I can't see them getting anyone English as they know what they are letting themselves in for. Jol would be a good call. I'd like to see Stuart Pearce there.

No. Newcastle are a Championship side. They clambered up on the back of Kevin "LUV IT" Keegan and have somehow stayed there. It won't be long before they - and Fulham - are back where they belong.

Hm, I beg to differ at this, we (Fulham) belong in the Championship no more than clubs like Derby, Wigan, Sunderland, Birmingham, etc.
I think if you look at the last 6 years, apart from the last season, we have comfortably stayed up each year.

Sacking of Lawrie Sanchez 👍 He needed to go, never agreed with the appointment anyway, we should have either kept Coleman, or actually brought a manager who could coach properly on board. Disagreed wholeheartedly with his tactics and am now happy at the new manager, Roy Hodgson. Yes a loss today, 2-1 away from West Ham United, and we still haven't won under Hodgson, but I have already seen enough to be happier with the situation. We were unlucky in the 2-1 loss at home to Chelsea on New Year's Day, and should have really taken a point, and we also dominated our FA Cup tie with Bristol Rovers, just couldn't find our way through. All in all, I am relatively optimistic, despite us being in 19th place, and I think we can fight our way out. Arsenal at home next week - 3 points anyone? :sly:

Hm, I beg to differ at this, we (Fulham) belong in the Championship no more than clubs like Derby, Wigan, Sunderland, Birmingham, etc.

Correct. All five belong in the Championship. And for Fulham, that's being generous.

I think if you look at the last 6 years, apart from the last season, we have comfortably stayed up each year.

Prior to 2001, Fulham had spent just 12 (TWELVE) years in the top flight of football - compared to 18 years at the third grade.

In 2002, Fulham finished 8 points and 6 places from relegation.
In 2003, Fulham finished 6 points and 5 places from relegation.
In 2004, Fulham finished in the top half, 4 points and 4 places from European football.
In 2005, Fulham finished 11 points and 5 places from relegation.
In 2006, Fulham finished just in the bottom half, safe by 12 points, but 15 from Europe.
In 2007, Fulham finished 1 point and 2 places from relegation.

They've only finished in the top half once and have never won more league games in a season in the Premiership than they have lost - even in 2004 they won 14 but lost 14.

It's just one of those things - a fleeting dose of cash from a rich benefactor has seen Fulham stay afloat in the top flight, but they've never attracted a big name player in their time in the Premiership - you've always got to make do with the imports no-one else really wants.

I was going to put money on Fulham, Derby and Sunderland going down this year. Wish I had now.

we also dominated our FA Cup tie with Bristol Rovers

No Offence, but thats not really something to be boasting about.
Bristol are no better than us and we (Northampton Town) are quite poor.

I dont think Fulham are a bad side. They just dont seem to have a base. Is money still there? If so how much?

West Ham have Upson, Green, Ashton, Parker, Ferdinand, Solano & Boa Morte. Thats whats got them out of the band of teams that may go down.

I dont see a solid base like that at Fulham.

The only two that stand out at Derby are Savage & Barnes
Birmingham - Johnson, Forssell and Kapo are player that can get them out of trouble.
Sunderland just have a bit of money and some pace in Jones.

I have to agree with Famine with those 3 going down. I think it might have been a safe bet. (Sorry to say)

Correct. All five belong in the Championship. And for Fulham, that's being generous.

Fulham are now an established club in the Premiership, a 7th season is enough to confidently say that, the other 4 clubs I mentioned, amongst some others in the top tier, have not managed to stay in the Premiership as long as us. We don't belong in the Championship at all, all truth be told, those stats you pulled out just prove that we have easily stayed up every year.

I personally loved the days when we in the 2nd or 3rd Division (now known as League 1 and 2) and even before our days of Mo Al Fayed, we were on the rise - not saying it would have got us into the Premiership.....

Anyway, all I can say is, our performances this season don't warrant us dropping into the Championship. We have played well enough just some circumstances which have prevented us picking up the points (dodgy referees, poor finishing and inability to go 2 or 3 goals ahead when in control) but we have definately deserved more than we have got.

No Offence, but thats not really something to be boasting about.

Definately nothing to boast about - just using this example to show the slight progression we have seen already under Roy Hodgson.

Is money still there? If so how much?

There is some amount of money available, how much it is is debatable, but money is not the problem - its like Famine said, its the type of player we can attract to Craven Cottage. We get the best of the Championship, or so it seems, and they just aren't good enough. Although I heard the rumour this week that Hodgson was using his Inter Milan contacts to try and drag Luis Figo to us! :crazy: Would be interesting to see him in a Fulham shirt....

(It wouldn't let me edit for some reason, sorry.)

6 flipping nil! Blimey we got trounced by Man utd..

You.got.owned! :sly:
I can't understand Newcastle, I don't remember them performing so badly its crazy and with Harry turning down the job things are going downhill in a huge way.

I kinda see Martin Jol taking the job.

There is some amount of money available, how much it is is debatable, but money is not the problem - its like Famine said, its the type of player we can attract to Craven Cottage.

Depending on who you bring in, it may be between Fulham and Birmingham for the 19th place in the league. I just think Birmingham have that base of players that are consistent and do play well.

Watching MotD Fulham have good attacking positions its just there isn't a finish. I think at 0-1 the 2nd goal is very important. If it goes your way it takes the pressure off. If it goes the other like it did to West Ham, your in trouble.

6 flipping nil! Blimey we got trounced by Man utd..

Some shocking defending and some even worse luck. Louis Van Gaal has been mentioned for the job and that wouldn't be half bad.

That second half was amazing, from my perspective anyway. 6 goals in 45 mins, we played with a pretty high level of confidence. Back at the top, hopefully for longer than the last time we were :ouch:. Owen was unlucky to have been called offside, but if the call hadn't been made he might not have scored since everyone else stopped playing when the flag went up, he might, but we don't know. Also there was a foul at the other end of the pitch not give right before he was put through, so it's swings an droundabouts. Some decisions go for you like the offside, some don't, like the two penalties we didn't get.

I'm very happy with that result anyway. Unlucky for Newcastle, great for Man U. Oh and Liverpool dropping two points just put the icing on the cake for an all round fantastic day.

After his interview Mike Ashley phoned him and said "how do you think the interview went, do you still want the job?"
Keegan replied "I tell you now honestly, I'd love it if you gave me the job, I'd love it".

Sorry.

No pressure, Keggy

A sign of how highly regarded Keegan is on Tyneside was reflected in a statement on the Newcastle website: "Geordie messiah to be unveiled as new United manager."

Liverpool have dropped points yet again. Man U beat Porstmouth very comfortably, it's a wonder we didn't score more than 2 but the game was over early on as soon as Portsmouth started playing behind the ball. Ronaldo scored one of the best free kicks I've seen, the lad is on fire. He's played 26 games this season and he's scored 27 goals. Andersons looks like an absolutely amazing prospect, he's got almost everything, vision, movment, passing and tackling ability, all he needs to do is start scoring. He'll be one of the best players in the league in a couple of seasons imo. Today was an easy win thanks to the two early goals and the way Porstcmouth clammed up after them.

Transfer deadline today...

...and apparently someone has spotted Kaka on the King's Road in London... and someone else spotted him on the No. 76 on his way to Bramall Lane in Sheffield :lol:

BBC Sport website
I think Chelsea and the Blades have an equal chance of signing him - none.

s'Funny, I heard he was boarding a Manchester train and asking alot about Stretford.

On a serious note he'd be an expensive luxury that we don't really need at Old Trafford. We've got the now (Scholes) and the future (Anderson) and both are good enough. Kaka wouldn't keep Scholes out the squad at the moment and by the time Scholes leaves Man U for Oldham I'm fairly certain Anderson will be exceptional.

Back