Barclays Premier league 07/08 thread

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 184 comments
Ref on the payroll as usual then.

At the start of next season they might aswell give utd the 6 points but let us choose which player we can have sent off on each game.

Don't worry Liverpool, there's always next year.

Blame whatever you want for the loss, it was simply a case of being out played all game. That was a satisfying victory 3-0 win for us. Now we'll see if Arsenal have the bottle to get something form Chelsea or not, ideally for us it will be a draw.

I sincerely hope we draw and murder you in europe

Bitter much?

It could have been worse, Rob Style's could have been the ref. Your Lucky he had to ref Northampton vs Forest, he was shocking. I think Man U would have won regardless of the sending off.

Bitter much?

It could have been worse, Rob Style's could have been the ref. Your Lucky he had to ref Northampton vs Forest, he was shocking. I think Man U would have won regardless of the sending off.

Rob styles awarded chelsea a penalty becuase steve finnan didnt move out of mikel's way running into the box as he was concentrating on the incoming cross.

Well that was entertaining. After all the press coverage this week, why Mascherano feels the need to run 25 yards to say 'why?' is very stupid. Every foul he went to the ref or said something to the linesman. Just seen him say '**** off' to the ref.

I think the main problem for liverpool was 'Over Arousal'. Both him and Pepe were very Irrate during the game. Pepe was very wild. He seemed to have made up his mind, every ball that came into his box was his and this cost him. It didnt seem, maybe its just the highlights, but no one seemed to take control when all others were losing their heads. We've seen Gerrard to that time and time again, but today he was very quiet. Rooney grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and this lifted Manchester United.

You hardly heared of Gerrard barring a couple of corners and he had a powerful shot deflected over in the first half. Liverpool in the first half at least tried to get forwards thoguh, they were having no success and we broke them down two or three times before the first goal. But after the sending off which was well deserved. How stupid was Mascherano to see Torres booked for dissent then decide to run over to the ref who told him to go away before actually booking him.

He was hounding the ref like a rash, every time the ref blew his whistle regardless of who the decision was for, them or us, he was in the refs face telling him to f-off all the time. Really Gerrard and/or Rafa should have got hold or Mascherano and told him to calm down because there was only ever one outcome for him if he didn't.

Rooney was a wizard today, he didn't score but his play was immense, his passing and movement was great and he opened Liverpool up several times. Nani's goal was the best, flicking the ball through the two defenders and then hammering the ball home from the edge of the box. That lad has some shot when he connects with the ball. He needs to learn a lot, but he's got loads of potential. Anderson was very good again. All in all Liverpool didn't really trouble us much, not in the first half and certainly not in the second.

Alex, I'm sure you would love to murder us in the CL, but you know the only way we will play each other is if we both get to the final. We have to beat Roma and probably Barca and you have to beat Arsenal and probably Chelsea. So it's not going to be easy for either of us. I doubt you'd win though tbh, our record against you in recent years in particular speaks volumes. We don't give you the time or space to play, we marshalled Gerrard and Torres out of the game today just like we did when we played you at Anfield. Like I said, I'm sure you'd love to hammer us and rightly so being a Liverpool fan and all, but if we met in the CL final I'd be fairly confident regardless of what Mark Lawrenson might predict.

Arsenal managed to throw away thier game at Stamford Bridge today, I thought they were the better team. I'd have preferred a draw but a Chelsea win was the second favoured result.

Yes everyone knows your the best in the country and top 2 sides in the world at the given minute but our champions league record speaks for itself. We have disposed of Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Chelsea (X2) and AC Milan in the last 3 champions league seasons. If we met in the final It'd be game on the decade but whether or not it'd be pleayed like a euro and domestic game would be the dominating factor.

👍

If Manchester United won the title, it would be the worst final in history. Man U would only need to sit back and let Liverpool come on to them because they don't need to win the final, however they would love to win it.

Alex, you could beat all the teams you like in the past but its the now that counts. I mean look at Barnsley.

However if utd didnt win the title it would be two teams desperate for their minimum 1 trophy per season. What a game that would be.

Even if we won the league we'd still be well up for a CL final match, especially against Liverpool. Winning the CL this year of all years would be massive for us, Liverpool seem to be better in Europe than they are domestically so a CL final between the two would not only be great for English football but it should be a game and a half.

I can't see Man United sitting back and just letting Liverpool come at them in a CL final, they're not like that. Premiership wise...I think Man United have it just about settled, with Arsenal bottling it and Chelsea still not looking like they'll catch up and overcome Man Utd.

Even if we won the league we'd still be well up for a CL final match, especially against Liverpool. Winning the CL this year of all years would be massive for us, Liverpool seem to be better in Europe than they are domestically so a CL final between the two would not only be great for English football but it should be a game and a half.

I can't see Man United sitting back and just letting Liverpool come at them in a CL final, they're not like that. Premiership wise...I think Man United have it just about settled, with Arsenal bottling it and Chelsea still not looking like they'll catch up and overcome Man Utd.

What I mean is, Man U can just hit on the counter. They don't have to go Gung-ho to win their only cup of the season. Like the FA cup final. Liverpool Vs West Ham cup final was better as West went for it, if they lost it didnt matter.

I see no reason why we'd do that either way though. A cup is too big a deal to play a safe game for. We're at our best when were attacking and we've never palyed a cup final any way but attacking in my life time, even if it is for our second trophy of the season. Losing the CL final would matter regardless of league success, sure the league is the big competition to win that's the most important one but the CL is up there. We've only won it once under Fergie and he would give an arm and leg to win it again while he's in charge.

Well Derby are the first to be relegated...not that it surprises anyone. But they're back down where they belong, far from good enough for the Premiership.

Agreed, as for the top of the table. We were awesome yesterday, it wasn't just the goals, because 4-0 doesn't do Villa and justice, they played pretty well in the first half. But playing like that, we'd beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The question is, will be play like that at Stamford bridge.

Even I must admit, Man U were absolutley amazing on saturday. Their level of technical quality was astounding.

👍

Did I just say that?

What a game, the first half Arsenal were dominant, they were bossing the mid-field but uncomposed infront of goal. Both sides had equal shots and shots on target, but Arsenal controled the first half. The first goal was a blatant hand ball mind, as was the penalty against Gallas. We didn't have our strongest side out and it showed int he first half, then we brought Tevez and Anderson on in the second half and the game changed. Anderson was great and closed the mid-field down very well, got into the Arsenal players faces and from then on we controlled the game, barring the last 5-10 mins when we sat back, which I hate to see us do with only a 1 goal advantage.

It was a great game though, it wasn't Uniteds best performance but it wasn't a bad one overall, First half, Arsenal were better, second half, we were. Blackburn is the biggest game in the run in now for us, forget Chelsea, we need to beat Blackburn away. If we do that, then we have a hand on the trophy. We can afford to lose against Chelsea (though I don't want us to) because the last two games are Wigan and West Ham and we have no excuses if we don't win either of thoes.

Arsenal deserve credit, not for todays performance in particualr though they played very well, but for thier part in such an entertaining season that's been edge of the seat all the way through.

Chelsea have slipped up today, 1-1 against Wigan. Big blow to thier chances of overtaking us, which is nice.

arsenal_time.gif

4-1 to United at Old Trafford and 1-0 to United at Derby. In the away leg Derby played their best game all season and really suprised everyone but that seemed to be a one off and they went back to conceeding like mad.

It's kind of funny that C.Ronaldo scored his 40th goal with his wiener. Yet another way by which to score.

Back