Barclays Premier League 2008-2009 Thread

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 180 comments
The move for Kaka, is great for City, in football terms, but in every other way it's not and if it happens it won't be so good for everone else. The current transfer market is already over priced and this will only make it worse and not just for City but for everyone.:yuck:

I hope for the sake of football Kaka rejects the transfer, loyalty seems a thing in the past for football though,👎 so I wouldn't be surprised if he does go to Manchester City:yuck:, money talks.

I just feel the owners of City could be doing some real good in the world with that money, instead they are throwing it around to the very people who don't need it footballers and the clubs.

If this transfer does happen it will be a black day for football, for every paying fan.

I hope he doesn't move, and shows that loyalty. A team in 15th place in the Premier League, the only lure will be the money, and he's surely getting enough of that at Milan. I just hope he sees sense and stays (so I can see him when I go to Milan in April. ;)).

Good season so far for Fulham, we've looked a much better outfit, solid in defence, and faring well against a lot of the bigger teams. Also, 10 match unbeaten run now, we haven't lost since the 1st of November. 👍

The only plus of this Kaka deal is that we will get the chance to see him playing in the Premiership. Everything else doesn't add up.

Let's be honest, there are three players who currently stand on a pedastol, regardless of your opinion of what order they come in, Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi are currently the worlds top three players and recognisably so. I know that United wouldn't sell Ronaldo for less that £70 million, it would probably take about that much to get Messi. Is Kaka a better player that thoes two, he's with them, but better, that's very debatable so even if he is we're talking small differences in quality here.

If City had offered £70 million and then maybe negotiated upto £80 million, I'd think that as rediculous as that ammount of money is for one player, it's about what the market would dictate he's worth. But £108 million is stupid, and to offer £100 million right off the bat is not business sense regardless of what Hughes says. Hughes also says he's the man in the driving seat at city. I don't think so Mark.

I laughed when he said the deal made good football and business sesne, because it doesn't make either. Business wise it's obvious, Manchester City are enver going to make this kind of money back in profitts, very few clubs can. What's more stupid that the transfer cost is the wages reportedly offered, £500 a week. Five Hundered Thousand Pounds A Week. Isn't Frank Lampard the highest (or one of the highest) earners in the PL with £145k a week, which in itself is ridiculous considering he'll still be earning that when he's 35. These new City owners don't seem to understand the long term inplications of what they are doing, if they pull it off. City are giving every big name player they want from now on an open license to ask for weekly wages that in in the multiple hundereds of thousand pounds. They are giving Robinho a license to ask for a rather vast pay rise since the poor fella is only on £90k per week after tax. They are shooting themselves in the foot, actually they are blowing thier feet clean off.

They have the money to pay these wages, but at some point it will stop, at some point the money will go. Either the owners will pull out, or they will be hit with a serious situation that requires them to lose focus of City and concentrate on other more important things. The money won't be there for long. Poor old Abramovitch has stopped funding Chelsea for their bi annual £100 million team upgrades.

The only teams that will still be there or thereabouts when the City mayhem dies down and the money river starts to ebb away will be the clubs that earn more than they spend, the Arsenals, the Manchester uniteds and the Liverpools, sure they may be in debt but none of them are in debt because they pay money they don't earn on players and all three of them pay off thier debts and annual running costs and fund transfers etc and still come out with a profit. If Abramovich pulled out of Chelsea tomorrow, we'd all be seeing at a firesale of Chelsea players in the summer, unless another billionaire bought them, and even then there's no guarentee he'd keep players like Lampard on £145k a week contracts.

Chelsea cannot afford to be where they are without some one at the top putting money in that he will not get back. Manchester City are exactley the same, they will never be as big as United, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona. They may become successfull for a period of time, but it takes decades to become a genuinely big club. Chelsea are perfect proof, everyone knows they're a good team, but they still arn't a truely big club, they still don't have that fan base the really big clubs have. And you need that fan base to sustain you. Having a rich owner is great, as long as he's there, but if you arn't self sustaining, as soon as he goes the club effectively dissapears too.

Mark Hughes really is stupid to think that it makes PERFECT business sense. Oh, so Wayne Bridge at £12m was also perfect, and this bid for De Jong, a player who can be bought in the summer for £1.8m, and yet they've put in a bid for him in the region of £13.3m!?

It's crazy what Man City are doing, and despite the fact they'll have a player of undoubtably amazing quality in their side, or two if you want to count Robinho, it's not going to bring the team closer together, it's not really going to help their results as much as they might hope, and for £108m, they are going to make a HUGE loss. Kaka may be a fantastic player, but he isn't going to repay that alone.

Looking at the state of the Premiership now, Manchester City would need around 10-15 seasons in the top four and around the European to even come close to being a great club. In my own opinion, Arsenal and Chelsea both aren't great clubs, Arsenal have only recently (since mid-90's) returned to the top of the table, and Chelsea have benefited from the huge injection of cash from Abramovich. I wonder how many of their fans can remember the game against Wimbledon where less than 9,000 turned up for a Premiership match in the 44,000 Stamford Bridge? I wonder how many of them supported them then, this event being barely 10 years ago.

Manchester United and Liverpool are the two biggest clubs in the Premiership right now, United probably more so. I would even go so far to say Everton and Aston Villa are also bigger than both Arsenal and Chelsea, the heritage and history of both clubs, allied to their fantastic fan bases, and old-style grounds which really hark back away from the days of concrete bowl stadiums. Manchester City have got a long way to go yet, I remember us beating them in the 2nd Division (League One) 3-0, just 10 years ago, and its going to take a long period of time establishing themselves as challengers before they get a higher status than they currently have.

Awesome posts guys :eek:

I totally agree, but sadly I think nothing will stop the juggernaut of hyper-spending... If I were Kaka, I'd take it... but I hope Kaka ain't like me! :P

Let's be honest, there are three players who currently stand on a pedastol, regardless of your opinion of what order they come in, Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi are currently the worlds top three players and recognisably so. I know that United wouldn't sell Ronaldo for less that £70 million, it would probably take about that much to get Messi.

Breaking News!

Arsenal sign Messi!

Argh, I support the most infuriating team in the whole world. :ouch:

10 games unbeaten in all competitions, a very solid defence and we go and lose 3-1 thanks to 3 terrible defensive mistakes. It makes no sense!

Only high point was the wonder goal from Konchesky, possible goal of the season contender. :)

Thanks to Berbatov's last minute heroics, United is top of the table. Yea! 👍

That, coupled with the narrow win against Wigan were really important wins for us. The pressure is now on Liverpool a little now, let's see how they respond. I think this title race is not going to be over for a while yet, unlike in Spain.

Also who do you guys think is going down, aside the top six, with a bad run anyone could go down. West Brom looked almost certain to go down a couple of weeks ago, but they have picked up some important points since. I guess the smaller teams can still count on a game against Middlesbrough to get some points. I think it will West Brom, Stoke and then either Portsmouth or Middlesbrough. Although both Newcastle and Spurs are not playing well enough at the moment and if Hull continue to lose then they could get dragged down in the fight.

With all this going on, I think it's the greatest premier season for years.

With all this going on, I think it's the greatest premier season for years.
Indeed... rarely seen a closer top or bottom of the league at this stage... the bottom 5 teams are separated by goal difference (and the bottom three by just one goal each!!), and the bottom 9 by just 1 win/3 points :eek: And with the top 4 all separated by one point from the next, it really is amazingly close 👍

Oh, and Man City have started the "dream team" splurge, with.... drum roll..... (contain yourself people...) Craig Bellamy! :ill:

Thanks to Berbatov's last minute heroics, United is top of the table. Yea! 👍

SAID WHAT??? YAY!

Think that Craig Bellamy is going to Man City, to be used as a sub. That's not what he'll be looking for...

But if Kaka does go to City, he could be gone next January if the storys about the caluses he'd want in his contract are true.

Props to Kaka, "kaka" to Man City... :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7838966.stm

I think Man City's bid for Kaka has set a new precedent, and a bizarrely good one for the sport... which is that there is a limit to what money can buy. What now for the "we can buy anyone" big-spenders from Abu Dhabi who thought they could rule the footballing world through their wallets?

Anyhoo, they've got Bellamy, so who needs Kaka? :lol:

Bellamy's not actually a bad player, not in terms of ability anyway. The problem is the baggage he takes with him, he's got one hell of an attitude problem and after a while the other players at his clubs have a tendency to want him out. That's one reason he can't settle at a club.

I'd love to Kraka joke about City but tbh I genuinely believe that it is only a matter of time before they start competing near the top of the table and we'll be talking about a top 5 in the PL. I think or I hope that they will start to realise that turning a mediocre team into a world class one can't happen in one or two transfer windows, it will take a few seasons.

Well after yesterday's merseyside derby ended 1-1, Manchester United remain top,👍 with a game in hand too.

With Kaka not going to City and Robinho storming out of their training camp, things are not looking as good for City, maybe they will accept that money can't buy everything.:sly:

Good look tonight United, we should beat Derby tonight, but if we play like last time we won't. I hope we will play a lot better though.

The biggest thing I'm looking forwards to tonight is seeing if we get chance to get Tosic on. I'm looking forwards to seeing what the fuss is about and hopefully seeing a good player in the making.

The biggest thing I'm looking forwards to tonight is seeing if we get chance to get Tosic on. I'm looking forwards to seeing what the fuss is about and hopefully seeing a good player in the making.

Agreed. They need to actually give someone newly-signed a chance, they didn't really sign anyone from the summer transfer window.

Obviousely as a Man Utd fan the last thing I want to see is Liverpool challenging for the title, but objectively your challenge isn't over yet. I do personally think the league is ours to lose and I think the odds are that Chelsea will be our stronger opponents in the run in, but even if you do drop off this is the most competetive you've been in a long time. If it's built on then who knows. I tihnk Liverpools biggest enemy is Benitez, I've said that for the last few years. He's like Ranieri, he can't help but mess around with the team too much. And a lot of his comments lately have seemed odd, it's like he's trying to put pressure on Fergie but he's hitting very wide of the mark.

Who knows, Mourinho will be available soon, I'd love to see him back in the Prem. A lot of people think he'll come to United, he might, but there's nothing rubber stamed. I'm a bit in the middle over him being United manager, he's clearly got the ability to lead a team to success but the tactics he uses to get that success arn't the most entertaining. Personally I'd want a manager who could come in and take over from Ferigie and recognise that very little needs to change. I wouldn't want a manager with too big an ego to come in and say "that was his team, I need to make my mark" and start fiddling with things too much.

West Ham midfielder Faubert has gone to Real Madrid on loan for the rest of the season... "Amazing!" said Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports Gillette Soccer Saturday... "Amazing?" replied Paul Merson, "His agent should be knighted by the Queen!"... :lol:

10-man Stoke have beaten Man City. Shock!

Arsenal - West Ham will be either a 1-0 to Arsenal or a 0-0.

I can't believe Faubert has gone to Real Madrid, I don't watch a lot of West Ham but from what I have seen he is barely good enough for them nevermind Real.

Back