Batman: Arkham Knight

The story is pretty good, but there's one big problem:
Arkham Knight is Jason Todd. The story builds up the mystery of his identity, and Rocksteady were proud of the way they had created a new character for the franchise, but then they just went with Jason.

Don't get me wrong - Jason is one of the most fascinating characters in the Batman universe. But having him as Arkham Knight is a massive let-down. It's a bit like the revelation that Black Mask was actually the Joker in Arkham Origins.
It is quite obvious where they draw that from. In the animated movie, Batman: Under the Red Hood, after Jason Todd died, he was revived by Ra's Al Ghul in the Lazarus Pits, for a reason that I never quite understood (something that involved the Joker I'm sure since he was a key player in the story in question.) Ra's, not fully understanding the power of the pits since he goes into them himself when he is nearly, but not, dead himself, miscalculated and Jason eventually escapes back to Gotham. Since he was legally dead (with a tombstone at Wayne Manor to prove it), he adopted the persona of Red Hood (the same persona that the Joker allegedly used to break into a chemical plant that he worked for in The Killing Joke) and took on Gotham's underworld in violent fashion, up to and killing criminals, eventually crossing paths with Black Mask who put a bounty on his head.

Eventually Batman deduced Red Hood's identity when he visits Ra's at his headquarters and Ra's confesses in reviving Jason Todd as penitence. After flying back to Gotham, Batman eventually tracks down Jason, only to find himself with the Joker tied to a chair, beaten. The two fight while Black Mask's men track them down, and eventually Batman and Todd fight Black Mask's men.

It is quite obvious where they draw that from. In the animated movie, Batman: Under the Red Hood, after Jason Todd died, he was revived by Ra's Al Ghul in the Lazarus Pits, for a reason that I never quite understood (something that involved the Joker I'm sure since he was a key player in the story in question.) Ra's, not fully understanding the power of the pits since he goes into them himself when he is nearly, but not, dead himself, miscalculated and Jason eventually escapes back to Gotham. Since he was legally dead (with a tombstone at Wayne Manor to prove it), he adopted the persona of Red Hood (the same persona that the Joker allegedly used to break into a chemical plant that he worked for in The Killing Joke) and took on Gotham's underworld in violent fashion, up to and killing criminals, eventually crossing paths with Black Mask who put a bounty on his head.

Eventually Batman deduced Red Hood's identity when he visits Ra's at his headquarters and Ra's confesses in reviving Jason Todd as penitence. After flying back to Gotham, Batman eventually tracks down Jason, only to find himself with the Joker tied to a chair, beaten. The two fight while Black Mask's men track them down, and eventually Batman and Todd fight Black Mask's men.
Oh, the source is obvious - although the film has a very different backstory for Jason compared to the comic of the same name, largely because the comic wouldn't translate into film; Superboy Prime broke out of his extra-dimensional prison, the trauma of which undid certain events in the DC Universe that were never supposed to happen, including the death of Jason Todd.

The problem is that Jason never wanted to kill Batman. He probably wouldn't have been too upset if Batman had died, but he wanted to prove the futility of Batman's actions by refusing to kill the Joker despite numerous chances to do so. Jason accepted the argument that Batman could not kill, but felt that the Joker was such a supreme evil that it was justified, even without considering that killing the Joker would have meant that he lived. Batman has been surprisingly tolerant of Jason's tactics ever since.

But Arkham Knight changes that. Jason goes from a moral relativist to a revenge-crazed sociopath, which is a devolution of the character. Although I suppose that with its seventy-year history and rich ensemble, it's very difficult to insert new characters into the Batman canon.

I think it was pretty much established that the Arkham series is an Elseworlds story, and has no real impact on the main Batman storyline, New 52 or otherwise.

Been enjoying this game(ps4), and while the Batmobile is cool, I think you're forced to use it way too much. I miss Arkham City's game play a little.

Batgirl - A Matter of Family releases July 14th on PSN & XBL. $6.99/£5.79
batman-arkham-knight.jpg

August DLC/Season Pass release.

1989 movie pack

Battle through the streets of Gotham City with this pack that includes the Batman skin and Batmobile from the 1989 Batman film, as well as two tracks inspired by the film’s sequel.
img4477_01.jpg

Bat-family skin pack
Included in this pack are six character skins based on the alternate timelines - - 1990s Catwoman, One Year Later Robin, Arkham Origins Batman, Iconic Grey & Black Batman, 1970s Batman and the Original Arkham Nightwing.
img4477_02.jpg

A couple of months ago, I heard talk of a Game of the Year edition that was speculated to be released in July alongside the Return to Arkham remaster. However, I haven't heard anything about it since, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about it. I never got to play the DLC - I'm on a pre-paid mobile broadband device, so 12 gigabytes of data is pretty expensive - but I heard a lot of positive feedback on it.

I'm not that far into it still but this game seems to have got alot of lower rep than it deserves. Im on std ps4 by the way, not the pc version which i can understand was a bad port.

To compare it to spiderman latest game which was heralded so much, it seems more impressive to me.
The city is way cooler in looks and gameplay wise, its destructible to a good degree, you get attacked and have alot of opportunities to find action, it has alot of challenges that are actually challenging compared to many shallow challenges in spiderman like the swinging in toxic clouds etc, you have more stealth it seems, the predator and combat maps, lots of puzzles, the batmobile which is pretty cool even if many complain about it, and well personally i prefer also the darker gothic style.

I love spiderman's combat and movement controls of course and it's a polished game. Just an observation..

Edit: i never tried batman origins, it looked cool, some said it was better story wise than the previous games, and for investigations.
I heard it's the same dev working on the next batman game, maybe I'd give origin a try if they remastered it.

Last edited:
After trying spiderman newgen ps5 upgrade, i went back to arkham knight, what a jewel, it be so nice if they did same, or at least a bc mode patch to make it run sharp and smooth, still is ok but it could be lot nicer with a high res/fps patch.

Back