Batman vs SupermanMovies 

• Thread starter andrea
  • 385 comments
Is it necessarily the director's responsibility to accurately recreate comic books on film? Nolan might have shied away from dedicated adaptations, but I don't think that it automatically disqualifies his films from being considered good films. Look at The Dark Knight as a prime example of this - the Joker's plan isn't to frame Batman or kidnap his girlfriend or get revenge, but rather to corrupt the idea of Batman, which is pretty revolutionary for any film, much less a comic book film (which until then had been aimed more at kids than anything else). His only real mis-step was the lack of focus in The Dark Knight Rises - it's a shame he didn't get the opportunity to work in Lincoln March and the Court of Owls; they would have worked so much better than the League of Shadows.
My comments weren't necessarily a knock on Nolan himself, rather his body of work in the Batman series as a whole.

Saw this last night. I enjoyed it, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. It did feel like it went on for too long, though.

Just saw it.

Where do I start?
The one shortfall in past Spider-Man movies, was somehow involving a kid scene. This time it's Lois- again.
Batman is the world's greatest detective. Superman not so much. He always seems the last one to know about anything. I liken it to the explanation of Asgard. Things slip through the cracks because no one of the people of Asgard expect anything to happen there. I guess Superman is at the height of the battle chain. Therefore, doesn't expect or plan for a threat. I get it(and always have).

We all have visions of how the movie should have played out. I'll forego that and spew about how jumbled all this was. The 4 symbols.
How corny was that? Wonder Woman was fine. The other 3 were horribly done. It was like an episode of Smallville, how it was done.

Batman's dream didn't have to be a dream. That was a wasted fight scene.

This movie is like a Sunday night plate of food that an aunt dishes up. All the trimmings piled up on a paper plate. It smells good and you're hungry but, not to the point of gorging yourself.

There was nothing wrong with any of the actors. The script is to blame. Too many ideas on the plate at one sitting. The battle we have all waited for and all they had to do was use Frank Miller's version.

5/10.

Saw the movie yesterday and what a let down, not what I was expecting to be honest.

I hope Civil War will be better :/

Finally watching the first few minutes of this now that the Ultimate Edition is out.

Erm... it's certainly shot nicely.

I didn't watch the cinema release, but I already watched the Ultimate Edition.

The movie is a bit of jumbled mess IMO, Clark Kent lacks screen time and I hardly knew about the character, it's like watching a stranger doing his stuff separated by other characters plot. This is from someone who know quite well about Superman ( watched many shows/movies from Superman movies, Superboy, Smallville, read the Death and the Return of Superman ) The movie is like a compilation of 3 different movie shuffled/stitched together, Lex, Batman and Superman.

Lois Lane and Clark Kent relationship also seems to be cold/distant, Lois doing her own investigation, and Clark going to Gotham, they are on separate ways, no calls, no chat ... then every time Lois needs saving, Superman is there from God knows where ....

The only good thing is Batman, although I wished Bruce could show more in details why he wanted to get rid of Superman. The last act also feels rushed, how did Batman prepped all the traps, and how he can be sure Superman will come when he pointed he Bat lights into the sky ?

Everything lacks cohesion and intimacy with the viewers, the story is nothing special, and Doomsday is too weak compared to the comic, would have been better if Doomsday is saved for different movie in a few years time and introduce different antagonist, no need to make Superman "die" this early.

If we can hear what Superman think through self narration ( is this the right word ? ), it would add more immersion to the audience. Max Payne comes to mind :) This would be great in scenes like when Clark met Bruce and Lex during the Library of Metropolis Benefits party, hearing what Clark thought of Lex and Bruce, what he knows about them, his plan, his worries etc.

Lex, wow, this character is the worst part of the movie, shallow/dense may be appropriate. He also seems to be way too talkative for a rich boy genius. How did he became so hateful of Superman ? Envy ? or fear, too much fear that leads to desperate measures ?

Why did Potus can only be heard on the phone ? I was expecting to see Patrick Wilson in person :)

Wonder woman is a good distraction, really interesting to watch, her own movie will rock :)

About the ending, when Lex got arrested, interesting how he was seen with someone, and when Batman paying a visit at his cell, he gave clues to what's coming, then the last scene of the Clark Kent casket, looks cheesy, why not just show the casket from above and that's it, everyone knows Superman don't die permanently :lol:

Now how it looks and sounds :
The visuals is great, on plasma tv+dark room, everything looks impressive, the night scenes, the lights, looks surreal with darkness vs light source, the last act battles also can be a real showcase of plasma tv, the Batman eye glow, Superman Heat Vision, the Kryptonite Spear, the Doomsday energy attacks, explosions, the rain, and the space, although short, really contrast the land battle.

Music/score is great, some cues to the Man of Steel score, the mixing is superb, sound effects are top notch.

Watched the ultimate cut two times now, Kind of have a change of heart, it fixes some pretty substantial plot holes and overall the package is much cleaner, I was disappointed alot by the theatrical release but have to say the UC changed my mind, I like BVS...... there I said it. Bit hyped for The DCEU now atleast.

I watched the ultimate cut for the third time yesterday as my mom want so see it twice, still do not really like it ( so many things bugging me :lol: ). I was right not to watch the theatrical release :)

So whats the difference the Ultimate Cut and theatrical in both quality and content?
There's more than 30 minutes of new scenes, some that are actually pivotal to the plot and Superman Arc, if you've seen the TC then the UC you'll find yourself saying ohhhh now that makes more sense.

It improves on alot of things but won't probably change your mind much if you hated the TC.

If those extra 30 minutes of BvS really do bring it up to 6.5-7/10 territory, the guy who decided to cut them out needs a slap from Joachim Löw's ass-scratching hand.

DK
If those extra 30 minutes of BvS really do bring it up to 6.5-7/10 territory, the guy who decided to cut them out needs a slap from Joachim Löw's ass-scratching hand.

But who would sit through all this time in a theater? But yeah feel the extra minutes do infact do that.

...So, finally I got to see the "ultimate edition" cut and....

Well, it's still a problematic movie. Snyder has a great eye for visuals and committing a memorable scene to celluloid is like a second nature for him but as a coherent story teller, he's a dog's ass.

Even with extra 30 minutes added to the film, the first half is still a disjointed mess. Holes in logic are still as large and wide as The Grand Canyon, and Jesse Eisenberg is wrong, wrong, wrong as a Lex Luthor.

Sigh. :irked:

I tried so hard to like this movie. It's not working. Oh well.

So many things wrong with the movie :lol:
1. Why does Bruce Wayne, a seasoned crime fighter/detective do not recognize Clark Kent as Superman the 1st time they met at the Libary Benefits party ? 18 months or was it 2 years, that's a long time ...
2. Why does a reporter like Clark Kent do not recognize Bruce Wayne, the owner of Wayne Enterprise, a billionaire from Gotham City, a city not far from Metropolis.
3. How did Superman managed to save Lois in time, many times, but could not save his own adoptive mother when she's about to be kidnapped ?
4. Where did Superman go when he was on exile ? What was he doing ? He just went off ...
5. Why do I feel Superman is much more incompetent than Batman when Superman has many advantages like super hearing, super vision and super speed that he could use to investigate Lex. Superman instead fixated on Batman, and he still didn't do squat except for a few lines talking to Bruce ( when did Superman knew that Bruce is Batman ? :banghead: )
6. The way Superman uses the Kryptonite Spear, why did he hold it in way that weakened him ? Why not throw it from close distance then hit the spear to go through the monster ? Maybe Wonder Woman can help, she has super strength after all and not allergic to Krytonite.
7. Why is Lex acting like a teenager with mental issue ? No charisma like a suave seasoned business man, no smart talking, no woman, no taste in clothes and cars ...

Just some that bothers me :lol:

So many things wrong with the movie :lol:
7. Why is Lex acting like a teenager with mental issue ? No charisma like a suave seasoned business man, no smart talking, no woman, no taste in clothes and cars ...

Just some that bothers me :lol:

Because Jesse Eisenberg is playing him and has no clue how to do any of those things.:lol:

I'm still somehow pissed at some parts of this movie even though i kinda enjoyed it a bit. It just feels like a visual candy type movie, plot felt rushed. Oh well i'll try watching the Ultimate Cut edition.

So, a Zack Snyder film, then. He's always been a director driven by spectacle before narrative.
Like what some people said here, Clark Kent just feels like a stranger. Some of the scenes he's in just doesn't connected to the plot.

Also him and Lois doesn't have any chemistry at all to me.

Still, far from a 30% rating but the faults are a bit annoying. It feels too long too. Batman was fine but the dream sequences aren't necessary either.

Like what some people said here, Clark Kent just feels like a stranger. Some of the scenes he's in just doesn't connected to the plot.

Still, far from a 30% rating but the faults are a bit annoying. It feels too long too. Batman was fine but the dream sequences aren't necessary either.

Clark Kent gets more time and benefits from the Ultimate cut. The problem with UC is that you can't view the TC again, some of the stuff they cut is mind boggling.

The main issue I have with the movie is thay they actually set up the BVS conflict well but negate all the hard work and movie time with
Lex kidnapping Martha, why didn't he do that without all the planning anyway, wasted all this time for nothing.

Those sequences are supposed to set up Justice League.

That's the Tomatometer... plain yes/no.

Aggregate critic score on Rottentomatoes is about 5/10.

Aggregate critic score on Metacritic is about 4.4/10.

-

I wonder if they're going create a new aggregate review score for the UC in the DVD/Bluray sections of those sites.

The main issue I have with the movie is thay they actually set up the BVS conflict well but negate all the hard work and movie time with
Lex kidnapping Martha, why didn't he do that without all the planning anyway, wasted all this time for nothing.
And that's ultimately what makes Eisenberg so unconvincing. One of my pet hates is the way films set up the villain as a master manipulator in lieu of any actual characterisation. While Lex Luthor is indeed very skilled at manipulation, his plot in the film hinges way too much on accurately predicting everyone's actions and reactions, and if just one thing went askew, the whole thing collapses around him. A better actor would be able to pull it off, but Eisenberg's goofy Luther fails horrendously.

And that's ultimately what makes Eisenberg so unconvincing. One of my pet hates is the way films set up the villain as a master manipulator in lieu of any actual characterisation. While Lex Luthor is indeed very skilled at manipulation, his plot in the film hinges way too much on accurately predicting everyone's actions and reactions, and if just one thing went askew, the whole thing collapses around him. A better actor would be able to pull it off, but Eisenberg's goofy Luther fails horrendously.

His plan makes a bit more sense in the UC but yeah it does have the "we'll that's convenient feel" but then again so did Zemo's somewhat.

His plan makes a bit more sense in the UC but yeah it does have the "we'll that's convenient feel" but then again so did Zemo's somewhat.
You kind of got the feeling Daniel Bruhl could conceivably have pulled it off though as opposed to Eisenberg who I'm uncertain about (Eisenberg uncertainty principle).

It's what I call "easy evil". Why bother establishing a character when you can just have him (or her) accurately predict the heroes' actions and reactions to the point where they can factor them into their plan and have the heroes unintentionally work for them?

If you want good examples of actual villains, look no further than Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins and the Joker in The Dark Knight. Ra's plan is simple: pump the water supply full of drugs, then steal the microwave emitter and use it to drive Gotham insane. Of course, that requires actual characterisation, but that's exactly what the Nolan brothers deliver: a fanatic who genuinely believes himself to be a saviour; a man who has the capacity to bring about genuine change in the world, but who takes his anger at himself out on it; and a man whose pretense of civility and sophistication are ultimately betrayed by the brutal methods he employs while hiding behind the facade of intellectualism. Likewise the Joker, who was always depicted as a force of nature; erratic and inconsistent, the physical manifestation of our collective fears; a man who is both seemingly superhuman and less than human at the same time; a representation of the paradox of human nature. I suppose you could include Bane in there as well, though in terms of quality, The Dark Knight Rises was less than it could have been. There's a real juxtaposition in his bloody, brutal tactics and the eloquence of his speech; likewise, his clothing evokes the ideology of a revolutionary, but his actions are ultimately undermined by the ephemeral nature of love.

I agree completely @prisonermonkeys but I feel the TDK trilogy is the exception to the superhero movies rule of having weak antagonists. The bar is so low that this Lex is one of the better ones.

I blame Tom Hiddleston. He's clearly got something juicy on Kevin Feige and Marvel, since he's the only person allowed to do anything interesting in the MCU.
If you mean villains then David Tennant and Vincent D'Onofrio may beg to differ. They didn't play movie characters but at least the long form TV format allowed them room to develop.

Back