SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
GTPlanet Comparison: Gran Turismo and Forza Garages

This thread is meant to let us discuss the differences (and, just as importantly, the similarities) between GT6 and FM6, specifically the stars of the show: the cars. How, you ask? Let me lend you a hand:

GTPlanet Comparison: Gran Turismo and Forza Garages (Google Sheets)
New: GTPlanet Comparison: Console Game Car Garages (Google Sheets)

Legend:
P - Premium car (Gran Turismo Series)
S - Standard car (Gran Turismo Series)
Y - Included in base game (Forza Series)
U - Unicorn car (Forza Horizon 1, Forza Motorsport 4)
DLC - Downloadable (Paid) Content (Forza Series, GT5)

Above, you'll find some 2101** cars from the two series, spread across seven titles (FM6, FH2, GT6, FM5, FH1, FM4, GT5). The spreadsheet is sorted by manufacturer then year, but you can sort it however you'd like with your own filters. There are two sheets that divide each game up by country and decade, respectively, giving you both the total numbers as well as percentages. All you need to do to find out which games hold you desired car is (Ctrl/Command + F), and start typing in the name (or make).

Now that this is all set up, I'm hoping to continue expanding the offerings from both Gran Turismo and Forza, but this could conceivably cover all the other games that GTPlanet encompasses. Other planned additions include performance indexes (more for same-game breakdowns, as they can't be compared across titles), as well as more in-depth sheets to nail down things like cars dropped across iterations (look at all the FM4 cars) or returning favourites.

Fun Facts:
  • Number of cars that appear across all seven titles (FM6, FH2, GT6, FM5, FH1, FM4, GT5): 15 (1973 BMW 2002 Turbo, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe, 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, 2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia, 2009 Ferrari 458 Italia*, 2005 Ford GT, 2004 Honda Civic Type R (EP), 1961 Jaguar E-Type Coupe, 2010 Lexus LF-A, 1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe, 1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI GSR, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR*, 1980 Renault 5 Turbo*, 1998 Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STI Version, 2010 Volkswagen Golf VI R* ) * requires DLC
  • Forza received its first Canadian car in September 2015, with the Terradyne Gurkha. Gran Turismo has had Canadian-based tuners HPA's offerings since GT4. Almost 11 years earlier, and before Forza Motorsport 1 hit consoles!
  • Both series have received two modern F1 cars apiece.
  • Despite vastly different garage sizes, FM6 and GT6 (looking at Premiums only) both have 24 French cars, as of September 2015.
  • With 54 more Japanese cars over GT5, GT6's overall percentage still went down (57.41% vs 60.93%).
  • While Gran Turismo is widely thought to have a very heavy Japanese preference in its car list, GT6's Premium list has the lowest percentage in the series, at 43.15%.
  • Conversely, Forza is largely considered to focus heavily on new metal. This holds some truth - FM6 ships with around 55% of its car list being produced from 2000 onwards - but GT6 has 57% of its lineup from the same time period, and a whopping 77% if you look at Premiums alone!

** - There are indeed some cars missing from this list: for Gran Turismo, I've removed the Chromeline, 15th Anniversary, and Stealth versions of vehicles. For Forza, any Team Forza or similar cars (typically paintjob'd and tuned-to-the-top-of-a-class versions of existing cars) have been taken out. Comparing pre-tuned versions of cars is not the point of this. That being said, Base Models from GT6 have been kept, as well as Vision GT's, and PD's own Race Mod / Touring Car creations.

Update History:
09.03.15 - Thread created.

Last edited:
Wow. Awesome work as always Slip! It'll be great to see the prospective garages of both franchises grow with FM6's DLC/FH3 and all of the new premiums they add to GT7!

Um, here's a few comparisons I've made myself.

- GT6 has the Lamborghini Diablo GT & GT2 models and FM6 has the Diablo SV.
- Forza 6 has all generations of the BMW M3 while GT6 just has the e92 and e46.
- GT6 has Kei cars while FM6 didn't have many or any to begin with.
- FM6 has modern V8 Supercars, BTCC, WTCC and GT6 has Super GT, Nascar, and 2008 WRC.
- GT6 has Pikes Peak hillclimb cars.
- FM6 has modern LMPs.
- GT6 & FM6 both have the 2 Honda S2000 generations.
- GT6 & FM6 both have a bunch of classic muscle cars.
- GT6 & FM6 both have a bunch of historic race cars such as the Ferrari 250 GTO and Ford GT40.
- GT6 has the mk.1 & mk.4 Ford GT40 and FM6 has the mk.2 GT40.
- FM6 no longer has Ruf while GT6 retains all of the Ruf models from GT4 including the CTR Yellowbird.
- GT6 doesn't have the current supercars while FM6 does.
- GT6 has the classic Shelby GT350 and FM6 is going to have the Shelby GT350R.
- GT6 has the Plymouth Cuda AAR and FM6 has the Plymouth Cuda Hemi (w/ current graphics).
- FM6 has the 1970 Chevrolet EL Camino SS and GT6 has the 1966 EL Camino SS.
- Both GT6 & FM6 have the 1971 Mustang Mach 1 & 2013 Shelby GT500.
- FM6 has the Dodge Charger Daytona and GT6 has the Plymouth Superbird.

Woops, it appears the Formula E cars should actually be classed as UK, not France. Gonna have to fix that, and it means my Fun Fact about France is no longer accurate.

474 in GT6 and 495 in FM6 accordingly and obviously a ton more incoming by DLC. So in some 4 years T10 has caught up with what PD has been cooking for a decade, how do you feel about the 2 car lists in general, what are some of the gems and what cars are completely rubbish?

Disappointing Forza series doesn't have a lot more cars with the resources they have. GT7 might take the lead again but after that, as long as Forza developers don't have to massively downsize, there is potential for a big gap in car count to open.

I like GT6 car list better but I'm more concerned about the physics given how good pCARS and Assetto Corsa are, far ahead of both franchises IMO.

GT still yet to move to PS4 so exciting what they might do regarding physics and is a big unknown at the moment. Forza though, FM5 and FM6 I don't have any desire to drive the cars in FM5 or get FM6 due to the way the cars handle. If physics are still similar for FM7 and FM8 then it might have a lot of cars but handling being a big put off for some like myself. Also there will be pCARS 2 and Assetto Corsa as competition on same console.

Disappointing Forza series doesn't have a lot more cars with the resources they have. GT7 might take the lead again but after that, as long as Forza developers don't have to massively downsize, there is potential for a big gap in car count to open.

I like GT6 car list better but I'm more concerned about the physics given how good pCARS and Assetto Corsa are, far ahead of both franchises IMO.

GT still yet to move to PS4 so exciting what they might do regarding physics and is a big unknown at the moment. Forza though, FM5 and FM6 I don't have any desire to drive the cars in FM5 or get FM6 due to the way the cars handle. If physics are still similar for FM7 and FM8 then it might have a lot of cars but handling being a big put off for some like myself. Also there will be pCARS 2 and Assetto Corsa as competition on same console.
How can you know how Forza 6 handles if you don't have it? And if you base your opinion on the demo, then the physics in the final game are very different imo. At least I've noticed the difference immediately.

474 in GT6 and 495 in FM6 accordingly and obviously a ton more incoming by DLC. So in some 4 years T10 has caught up with what PD has been cooking for a decade, how do you feel about the 2 car lists in general, what are some of the gems and what cars are completely rubbish?
Not sure how you get that T10 has done that in 4 years. In Forza 4 the cars were already what you would call premium but that is beside the point. The number is also slightly lower as some of those are basically the same car with a different paint job on it.

As for the car lists GT is the better of the two but both are good. Forza wins in terms of muscle cars and super cars and most recently open wheelers. Gt has some great road cars and some great race cars, many of those are still a bit behind of the graphics but that does not bother me in the least. It would be better if all of them were up to the standard of the best ones but some of those standards are awesome cars and some of my favorites are not in any version of Forza.

Another thing I like about GT over Forza is that in GT when you get a new version of the game and get in your favorite car from the previous version you know how it is going to drive, you know what the performance is going to be. In Forza it is a crap shoot. A car can be awesome in one version and a waste of time in the next. It can go from being on rails to all over the track. Top speeds change, grip changes some cars become completely different from one version to the next. The old Porsche race car that was in 2,3 and 4 is a good example. In two it was a very solid car. It was not the fastest but was fast enough to be competitive and handled great. In 3 it handled well but was to slow to compete in 4 is handled horribly but was faster than almost everything.

Not sure how you get that T10 has done that in 4 years. In Forza 4 the cars were already what you would call premium but that is beside the point. The number is also slightly lower as some of those are basically the same car with a different paint job on it.

As for the car lists GT is the better of the two but both are good. Forza wins in terms of muscle cars and super cars and most recently open wheelers. Gt has some great road cars and some great race cars, many of those are still a bit behind of the graphics but that does not bother me in the least. It would be better if all of them were up to the standard of the best ones but some of those standards are awesome cars and some of my favorites are not in any version of Forza.

Another thing I like about GT over Forza is that in GT when you get a new version of the game and get in your favorite car from the previous version you know how it is going to drive, you know what the performance is going to be. In Forza it is a crap shoot. A car can be awesome in one version and a waste of time in the next. It can go from being on rails to all over the track. Top speeds change, grip changes some cars become completely different from one version to the next. The old Porsche race car that was in 2,3 and 4 is a good example. In two it was a very solid car. It was not the fastest but was fast enough to be competitive and handled great. In 3 it handled well but was to slow to compete in 4 is handled horribly but was faster than almost everything.
Maybe it's a sign that Forza has evolving physics as they're still developing, while GT hasn't had a major overhaul in a while.
Forza 4 models had crappy interior details and textures and didn't have modelled engines and other details.

How can you know how Forza 6 handles if you don't have it? And if you base your opinion on the demo, then the physics in the final game are very different imo. At least I've noticed the difference immediately.
Seen enough videos to know how it handles and played the demo.

This is because PD are stubborn and still operate with a tiny amount of staff compared to others. They are building current era games with 90's levels of staff. I cannot understand given the revenue the series had brought in why they don't treble the size of the studio. Taking six months to model one car is unacceptable. At this point I see GT7 probably only having maybe 50 more premiums than GT6.

Turn 10 - 300 Staff
PD - 140 Staff

...Says it all really.

This is because PD are stubborn and still operate with a tiny amount of staff compared to others. They are building current era games with 90's levels of staff. I cannot understand given the revenue the series had brought in why they don't treble the size of the studio. Taking six months to model one car is unacceptable. At this point I see GT7 probably only having maybe 50 more premiums than GT6.
Because Kaz likes to drive race cars.

Maybe it's a sign that Forza has evolving physics as they're still developing, while GT hasn't had a major overhaul in a while.
I think it is more a sign that they just can't make up their mind what this car should be like. It is really odd how huge a difference it has had from one game to the next. The question is which do they thing is the correct performance for the car? In FM3 it would finish dead last in the Nurburgring endurance race. IRL it holds the track record.

GT has improved the physics in each version and even tweaked it more in patches in the last two versions so it is not exactly static but in GT the cars performance is predictable. In GT typically two cars that have the same basic shape, tires and aero options are going to behave very much the same but the one with the better power to weight ratio is going to be the faster of the two. In forza this is not the case. I have saw cars in Forza where the car with the better power to weight ratio would be slower. Sometimes it seems that they just plug in a number for grip and top speed in Forza and that is what the car does where as in GT it seems more like the physics are in control and power to weight is a huge factor in that.

As for the handling, Forza 6 is ok but it has some issues and it still has some oddities with the tuning where you sometimes need to do things that should destroy the way a car drives in order to get it to drive well in Forza.

Turn 10 - 300 Staff
PD - 140 Staff

...Says it all really.
PD are the second biggest in the sim racing genre only behind T10. Forza franchise has probably over 600+ working on it, one of the biggest development teams in the gaming industry since the very first Forza game. It takes 6 months to model one car also for T10. I see GT7 getting up to somwhere around 600 cars. I see that as a lot of cars, car count I don't think is a problem for the GT series personally. Kunos Simulazioni seem to be doing a great job with 27+ people, better physics and sound than both GT6 and FM6 IMO with high quality content.

Technically even F4 had more premiums than GT6. Keep in mind EVERY car in F4 has interior views and there are close to 700 cars in that game.

I am honestly just so done with the GT standard argument. Until the GT series no longer has standards, I will not ever be interested in that series ever again. Which will be a LONG time since it is already confirmed GT7 will have standards.

Last edited:
I miss the regular saloon cars of GT, but then the best line up of these was 15 years ago in 2.

Technically even F4 had more premiums than GT6. Keep in mind EVERY car in F4 has interior views and there are close to 700 cars in that game.

I am honestly just so done with the GT standard argument. Until the GT series no longer has standards, I will not ever be interested in that series ever again. Which will be a LONG time since it is already confirmed GT7 will have standards.
Did FM4 have rear part of interior modelled?

Standard cars are not confirmed for GT7.

Standard cars are not confirmed for GT7.
Actually yes standards ARE confirmed for GT7. It was posted many months ago in the GTplanet news section. I believe it was posted by @Jordan after he had an interview with Kaz. Regarless I know for sure standards were confirmed. I would not post false information.

EDIT: As always, I back up what I say with proof.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...standards-are-here-to-stay-poll-added.312265/

There was also info posted on the GTPlanet news section shortly after that.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

Last edited:
Actually yes standards ARE confirmed for GT7. It was posted many months ago in the GTplanet news section. I believe it was posted by @Jordan after he had an interview with Kaz. Regarless I know for sure standards were confirmed. I would not post false information.

EDIT: As always, I back up what I say with proof.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...standards-are-here-to-stay-poll-added.312265/

There was also info posted on the GTPlanet news section shortly after that.
This news article I assume: Link

That is no confirmation.

That is no confirmation.
Unless you are brand new to the GT series, it is guaranteed confirmation standards are in GT7 if they keep ALL the cars in the game from GT6. Especially if they try to release GT7 by 2016.

That is my last reply in this thread about this discussion.

"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

Last edited:
Unless you are brand new to the GT series, it is guaranteed confirmation standards are in GT7 if they keep ALL the cars in the game from GT6.

That is my last reply in this thread about this discussion.

That is not guaranteed confirmation. Also if you are familiar with the series, what is said before can change. Don't see FIA Online Championship for GT6 yet for example. Also this old interview with Kaz gives more insight: Link

I've merged this @SimTourist's thread with my existing one, as it covered essentially the same stuff.

I tend to not put much stock in peoples' opinions when they actually prefer driving GT's Red Bull "cars". Just a heads up. :P

Not sure how you get that T10 has done that in 4 years. In Forza 4 the cars were already what you would call premium but that is beside the point.

This is a good point. While some of the cars in FM4 were well below GT5/6's Premium-level quality (the 22B, the NA NSX-4, C4 Vette, etc), they were still closer to Premiums than to Standards in basic design makeup (multi-piece versus textured shutlines). FM5 dropping all those cars was such a sore spot for so many people precisely because they were already made to X360/PS3 standards. As far as I can tell, the only major changes that came with the new One versions were working head/tail-lights, properly dished wheels, and detailed engine bays and other opening parts of the car, though the latter isn't available on everything.

Still, either way you cut it then, Forza has more cars than GT does Premiums. Either FM4 at roughly the same quality (the later cars, especially DLC, were on par with GT from a modelling perspective), wrapping up with something like 600 at the end of that generation, or FM6 currently closing in on 500, modelled to a level higher than nearly all existing Premiums (as far as I know, only the Rally cars have been modelled underhood).

The number is also slightly lower as some of those are basically the same car with a different paint job on it.

For both games.

*snip* some of my favorites are not in any version of Forza.

Which, naturally, is true the other way around too. :)

...have you played GT4? Cars in that game handle completely different than they do in 6. I'm not sure what you're really aiming at with this comment either; shouldn't it be expected that cars will change over each iteration? If not, don't we then accuse the developers of being lazy for not improving the physics?

FM2 was undoubtedly the best physics T10 thought they could provide at the time, with the knowledge they had. After that, they improve. The same with GT. More on this later in the post.

I think it is more a sign that they just can't make up their mind what this car should be like. It is really odd how huge a difference it has had from one game to the next. The question is which do they thing is the correct performance for the car? In FM3 it would finish dead last in the Nurburgring endurance race. IRL it holds the track record.

To be fair, IRL, a lot of its competition from the game's endurance race has never laid tire on the track.

A sign of not being able to make up minds would be PD fiddling with the physics numerous times in one game. How many times did tuning garages have to throw out all of their tunes during GT5's run, because PD decided to change the physics? Even worse, they would sometimes change them without even mentioning it in the update notes.

GT has improved the physics in each version and even tweaked it more in patches in the last two versions so it is not exactly static but in GT the cars performance is predictable. In GT typically two cars that have the same basic shape, tires and aero options are going to behave very much the same but the one with the better power to weight ratio is going to be the faster of the two.

That happens in real life. Look at how the GT-R completely upset the establishment when it arrived eight years ago.

I think the reason we see what you're mentioning happen in GT comes down to how they approach their tire model.

In forza this is not the case. I have saw cars in Forza where the car with the better power to weight ratio would be slower. Sometimes it seems that they just plug in a number for grip and top speed in Forza and that is what the car does where as in GT it seems more like the physics are in control and power to weight is a huge factor in that.

After fiddling with hybrids in GT5, and recognizing a few variables that worked very similarly to how some did in GT3 (with MK's old Garage editor allowing for easy hybrids back then), it's very much the other way around. GT has random grip levels applied to it; that's why things like the NSX-R and Evora just consistently dominated in any PP range they were dropped into.

To be fair to both games though, I don't expect their ranking systems to be perfect. The PP/PI system will always have flaws; I ran a bunch of (stock) cars around Lime Rock last night, and while they generally follow a PI order, there are anomalies. The '74 Celica is faster than you'd expect given the PI, while the Limo and Gurkha are slower, much slower in the case of the latter.

As for the handling, Forza 6 is ok but it has some issues and it still has some oddities with the tuning where you sometimes need to do things that should destroy the way a car drives in order to get it to drive well in Forza.

Which, again, is true of GT as well.

PD are the second biggest in the sim racing genre only behind T10. Forza franchise has probably over 600+ working on it, one of the biggest development teams in the gaming industry since the very first Forza game.

Source?

It takes 6 months to model one car also for T10. I see GT7 getting up to somwhere around 600 cars. I see that as a lot of cars, car count I don't think is a problem for the GT series personally. Kunos Simulazioni seem to be doing a great job with 27+ people, better physics and sound than both GT6 and FM6 IMO with high quality content.

Not to take any credit away from Kunos - they should be commended for what they've accomplished - but the situation is hardly comparable. T10 and PD are both saddled with the expectations that their titles are system sellers: they have to straddle the line between sim-like realism and casual approachability that KS just don't have to concern themselves with. Both Forza and GT are also dealing with an absolutely huge family of cars, so their physics engine has to take that into account.

I'm very excited to see how Assetto Corsa fits in the console scene, much as I was for PCARS. 👍

That is no confirmation.

So now we shouldn't take Kaz' word?

:lol:

You're right of course - lord knows things he's said haven't panned out before - but until further notice, where they change their tune or give us information about GT7, that is the closest thing to a confirmation we have. It's more than acceptable to assume, at this time, that Standards will be in GT7. Whether they're upgraded or not, like the RUF's in GT6 (which, it needs to be said, would still be woefully out-of-date), there is no way PD has converted the entire Standard garage as it exists in GT6 to that level of quality*, nevermind to Premium.

* - Unless they've changed their mind on the idea of outsourcing.

Which, naturally, is true the other way around too. :)
Actually no, surprisingly I can not think of a single car in Forza that I have liked so much that i would miss it when playing another game though the Lotus 77 may make the list. There were a few in Forza 2 that I missed in Forza 3 even though they were still there they just weren't the same anymore. The S7 is a good example and the CLK GTR both were great in FM2 and not all that special in FM3.

In GT the list is pretty long and even though a few of them are in Forza they just aren't the same. They are prettier in Forza and I may be able to see the engine compartment if I wanted to but that is not what is important. What is important is how do they feel on the track and how do they run. I am disappointed almost every time I get in one of them in Forza after having driven them in GT.

@Tornado
GT6 camber. GT5 ride height and camber. GT4's pretty much everything.
And in Forza it is ride height,springs, camber, caster, dampers and anti roll bars, not to mention the ridiculous AWD glitches

Last edited:
Seen enough videos to know how it handles and played the demo.
I'm not sure how that works in.. well.. any instance.

Actually no, surprisingly I can not think of a single car in Forza that I have liked so much that i would miss it when playing another game. There were a few in Forza 2 that I missed in Forza 3 even though they were still there they just weren't the same anymore. The S7 is a good example and the CLK GTR both were great in FM2 and not all that special in FM3.

In GT the list is pretty long and even though a few of them are in Forza they just aren't the same. They are prettier in Forza and I may be able to see the engine compartment if I wanted to but that is not what is important. What is important is how do they feel on the track and how do they run. I am disappointed almost every time I get in one of them in Forza after having driven them in GT.
That sounds more like a liking towards the game's physics system rather than something boiling down to the actual car. That does not take away from the point that the same happens in both games. Its just a bit odd that out of the 450+ cars, you can't find one car. That sounds a lot like purposely turning a blind eye, but if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

As for you mentioning tuning and how you'd have the way it's set up should have broken the car, I would have to disagree. Even with your concerns earlier, no one was able to recreate any problem that you had, except for the varying strength with ARB's from car to car. So after tests from the community, if you still feel that way after being shown otherwise, I'm not sure what's going to change your mind in that regard. There is one thing that is backwards though, that changed from last game, and that's the Decel setting with the Diff. I didn't realize that until this past week.

Last edited:
Back