Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Well its been 12 weeks since the last time. I tried to do a review only to end up with my ps3 having technical problems which made me just play on my PS4 and leaving the ps3 to collect dust.

Yesterday I decided to boot up GT6 since I haven't played it for long time. I heard that GT5/6 menu soundtracks and made me a bit nostalgic, I just wish if this game could been better and not just being thrown away to it's death. It reminded me of the past times where I used to have fun online back in GT5/6 but now it..it just feel...empty. it feels like it's been forgotten and left to die miserably. Not only affected GT6 but I started to loss that feeling of GTP back in the day where everyone still plays the latest released of GT series actively even though the next one is right out of the corner. Now GT sport (might) will be released later this year and it's seems as no one is interested as back in the day.

Lots of clubs, series, events...etc on GT6 Online sub forum are no longer that big compared to back then. A lot just abandoned this game and maybe the whole Franchise but even if I hate this game. I still like GT, I still want to play some of the previous games. Even though there are many great games released over the last years, I will still come back to GT in the end.

Okay..kay.. enough of what I said. Time to do the "Review"
-----
full

full

What you see here is a Porsche Boxster...
except it's not because this car is called the Ruf 3400s. it's more of a "calm down" Ruf compared to the others RUF's. It's basically a performance version of the Boxster. This is the alternative car for video game developers who can't add Porsche's because of that greedy company we all love to hate on.

full

full

What makes it so good is that while it's engine isn't at the front of you, it's actually handles better than the other Ruf's in the game. Other Ruf's are just insane beast that tries to murder you while this is more "minded" and relaxed. I did bump and spin off with this car but that's because I didn't play GT6 in a long time and sometimes I got distracted by my family and so on.

full

full

"Sorry Ma but this is not the time to talk on the phone while dri... *Goes off the road* OH..:crazy:

What about the looks? well It looks like a Porsche to almost everyone else unless they are a car geek and they really got close to it. The design and style is fine to me although it sounds a bit dated but looks good nevertheless.

full

full

The top speed of this? I decided to go to the Secret Runway in unknown Place on earth know as the Special Stage Route X, :P in there I tried to test the top speed and the results are rather impressive. It broke the 300 KM/H and reached up to 304 KPH only to go back down to 298 and back up again.

full

full

(Since i was in a Secret runway, they couldn't let me snap some images so have some random Ruf Speeding instead :P)

What about the price? The 3400S costs around 77,730 Cr. That's almost double the price of the Boxster and in that price you could buy something like a Nissan GT-R or even a Dodge Viper GTS!

full

full

Performance? Pretty Good. Style? Okay. Price? Well wishes if it was cheaper but at least it does it job better than some more expensive cars.

full

full

So how I gonna rate this car? Would it be a sleeper or a beater?

It's...
Definitely...
Going...
To..
Be...

a Beater sleeper for me 👍

full

full

It definitely packs some power that I didn't except it from a "modified" Boxster and It doesn't look aggressive as it looks like the sort of car you would just cruising around the beach to causal people.

And now here's some more screenshots of the Races we had earlier this day (or yesterday) to finish this off.

full

(Sounds like one of those 2D Old Arcade Racing Machines with this view)

full

full

"Damnit, now you just cost me the whole race...:grumpy:"

full

One make race gone wrong

full

Some more Cool shots

full

full

full

"Oh 🤬: - James May 2010
(I forgot how to gear and accidentally put it in reverse without knowing :P)

Last edited:
Low Voltz and Little Vibes...

Well last week we decided to have a look at the Crossover twins. Like most twins, they might look the same but they're usually quite different in personalities... no exception here either. Sure there are similarities between them, but different all in all.

dyWAY56.jpg

One thing I noticed at first comparison, is that they're both fairly light... even the Yankee Rose edition was under 1300 kg's. Pretty good considering that American vehicles can be heavy to say the least. So that was a plus in the right column. Having 4 bangers also gave it a check in the right direction too... and that's where it ended.

With no doubt, the Voltz was the worse of the two, but they both were unimpressive to drive. What really grabbed my attention was our little jaunt down SSRX with the Voltz. It got smoked by a VW Lupo... sure it was the GTi version, but c'mon, a Lupo?!? You may hang your head in shame anytime now.

The Vibe GT wasn't anything to brag about either. Had it been geared better, maybe it would've done better against the Lantis on Sierra. I don't know, to me both of them were in the "Would've, Could've, Should've category. But both just Didn't... and for me, they both get B ratings. B for Beater that is.

Cheers

It looked like you expected a RR layout, but the 3400S is MR. Are you joining us on Saturday?
If it isn't in the morning.

It's more the car is extremely front heavy for an MR and has shoddy brakes. I couldn't figure out how to drive the stupid thing.

And my FFB on my wheel was too high. I turned it down and will try the TT again tonight.

I use a few personal, non objective criteria when I am determining if car is a beater or sleeper. Fun is probably number one. Well last nights racing definitely was fun. Even when faced with the curse of AGS and comfort soft tires I still enjoyed myself. I didn't feel like changing cars tonight, so I put a quick tune on this and tried out the new drift seasonal at Silverstone. Cha-ching, 1.17 mil credits second try. Verdict, sleeper! I would never ever have figured out this would be so sweet as a drifter, and I s u c k at drifting. 👍

full

"Sorry Ma but this is not the time to talk on the phone while dri... *Goes off the road* OH..:crazy:

A little distraction pry helped you from not getting collected in me and PTRs accident. I went for the inside on the corner before and got a slight twitch and over corrected into PTR and spun him which I take full responsibility for.

full

"Oh 🤬: - James May 2010
(I forgot how to gear and accidentally put it in reverse without knowing :P)

I was wondering what happened there because I see a car coming towards me at the start and take evasive action.

As for the RUF 3400S, pure and simple its a Porsche 911 Boxster but we all know that we can't have any real Porsches because of the arcade game NFS and EA.

The 3400S is pretty decent with power and brakes. You could definitely push this car to it's limits and not be killed for it. Sometimes if you jumped on the gas to early in the corner you could find the back end slide out from under you but it's not as bad as the Yellow Bird where it tries and kill you. 3400S does give some great racing in stock form as some of the nights races where very close battles that in the end were only a few milliseconds between the groups. The most instance race was at Silvestone International Circuit as you had to plan and be aggressive in passing as the cars were stock and didn't a huge backstretch to make a pass.

All in all this car is great for doing one make races and a great car for setting up a Porsche Cup Series. I give the 3400S a sleeper title this week as it proves to be a great car to drive and gives a great opportunity for great battle between drivers.

Personal Opinion of cars so far:

Beater:

Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus(Possible Beater of the Year)

Sleeper:

RUF 3400S

Not Tested:
Toyota Voltz S
Pontiac Vibe

The RUF 3400S. One of my main cars I used way back in Gran Turismo 3. It was a great alternative to the Porsche Boxter (EA will probably sue me for saying that), but somehow isn't used in GT6 much. Probably because the BTR, Yellow Bird, RGT, and CTR2 have overshadowed this little demon, plus it's a semi-premium car. I'm giving it a sleeper rating for sure.

So, the famous Ruf 3400 S ( basically a Boxster S with a 911 carrera 2 engine wich was verry unreliable in the 2000's) is what i picked, why did i pick it? because it is a LOT better then most cars we have had in the last few weeks, and i am glad that i did, i went online with it being stock and decided to join a japanse room, it was a mountain that went up 2400 meters in elevation, the Ruf could do it stock on racing soft tires using first and second gear wich really impressed me, what i kinda dislike tough is that you cannot add a big wing on the trunk, it could severly use it for more rear end traction on the stock Sport hard tires, to me this car is also verry familiar since my dad used to have a 01 Boxster S (265hp) and he told me its verry easy to catch, i have experianced this in our current 05 Boxster S in controled environments and i was the only person to catch the rear wheel slide XD, its still a lot tougher to drive hard then the 944 but its so much faster in every other way i love it.

Back on topic tough, the Ruf is a great car stock and tuned, easy to catch and easy to be quick in, in a game that is XD, i call this car a sleeper since its so fast, even fastest in its PP range according to @MidFieldMaven.

To end this short revieuw i would like to thank @McClarenDesign for allowing to me to choose a car in my verry first week.

Personally I think the 3400S is an awesome little car. I have won many races in this thing against cars that you would not expect it to beat. I drove the wheels off it in GT4 in many cases earning 200 A-Spec points with it.

Sleeper for sure.

Yesterday we did a race at Chamonix and I was amazed. It turns out that the "Boutique Boxster" handles the snow just like the 911, I wasn't expecting it to be so versatile and usable. I was expecting a California sportscar, but it's more like a Swiss Army knife. Only German. And not a knife.

Oh, and congratulations HBR-Roadhog! (Insert holiday deity here) has chosen you to select the next car for the the rest of us mere mortals! What will we be driving the wheels off of this week?!

I have beaten cars with it on the Nurburgring and Bathurst that one would think would destroy it, but tuned to 500PP it is a pretty sweet ride.

5663563036_b995fbb381_b.jpg

It's the 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7!!!

One of my favorites.

You know what I love the most about Cougars?

Everything.

The RUF. The RUF. The RUF is on fire. We don't need no water, let the mother...

... but moderators might not take too kindly to sour language in any given comedy answer. Just my five cents, don't take it too close to heart.

I'm beginning to think that comedy has died. Perhaps it's just because @Vic Reign93 has once again walked away with yet another Time Trial, besting the closest rival by two seconds with his time of 1:30.364. To prove me wrong, this week's "Playing With TTs!" event is at Circuit Paul Ricard, courtesy of Willy-13104. Or it could be just another Pirelli test.

In completely unrelated-yet-somehow-related news...

From a knockoff Porsche to a boat, I see...

Oh please, I've said it before and I'll say it again...

RUF's are what little Porsches want to grow up to be. Alois and company take the ordinary and turn them into actually fast cars that handle way better than the originals. Hence the records beside their names.

I'd take a RUF over a Porsche ANYDAY!

Cheers

Well your welcome for the ice race Brad. :P

The RUF was definitely a "Jack of all trades" choice, Approachable at its limits, slides rather gracefully when drifting, fast and very impressive off road.

Hell the fact that You liked it and did well on Ice with it is high praise in itself. :D

So this Mini review concludes with a Sleeper verdict, if you want a Porsche Boxster ( Bring it EA :sly:) that's actually better than the Porsche Boxster, get the 3400S. ;)👍

Oh please, I've said it before and I'll say it again...

RUF's are what little Porsches want to grow up to be. Alois and company take the ordinary and turn them into actually fast cars that handle way better than the originals. Hence the records beside their names.

I'd take a RUF over a Porsche ANYDAY!

Cheers

RUFs are great cars, yes, but they're still knockoff Porsches. :lol:

So we drive a Vibe one week before the appearance of the dreadful Aztek, and now we are going to handle a Cougar one week after some dude name's Gordon own Cougar's addition to the game? We are really mimicking Forza's Alpinestars DLC pack with these car choices...

But truth be told, I usually don't think much of the Cougar. Not this Cougar, at least. Regarding underdog muscle cars, the Buick GSX and Mercury's own Marauder tend to impress more than the Cougar. Well, at least it isn't the last and disgraceful V6 Cougar that tried to ape Ford's Capri...

Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
6.4L
319 hp / 5,000 rpm
429 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,418 kg (3,126 lbs)
462 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds at Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires:

1:25.768 - 435 - Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
1:25.772 - 462 - Holden Commodore SS '04
1:25.778 - 443 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
1:25.794 - 474 - Chevrolet Silverado SST '02
1:25.802 - 466 - Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG '00
1:25.816 - 442 - Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster (Z33) '03
1:25.826 - 443 - Toyota Prius Touring Car
1:25.858 - 483 - Fisker Karma EcoSport '12
1:25.858 - 456 - Nismo GT-R LM Road Going Version '95
1:25.869 - 443 - Audi TTS Coupe '09
1:25.897 - 431 - Renault Sport Clio V6 Phase 2 '03
1:25.925 - 440 - Renault Sport Mégane R.S. Trophy '11
1:25.935 - 440 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
1:25.939 - 446 - Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
1:26.093 - 427 - Chrysler Prowler '02
1:26.206 - 440 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT Spec.B '03
1:26.207 - 419 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
1:26.208 - 442 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
1:26.222 - 473 - Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
1:26.237 - 462 - Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
1:26.241 - 441 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT '03
1:26.248 - 439 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version II '95
1:26.252 - 468 - Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70
1:26.276 - 402 - Dome Dome-Zero '78
1:26.286 - 480 - Plymouth Superbird '70
1:26.359 - 442 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07
1:26.372 - 427 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT-8 '02
1:26.398 - 449 - BMW M Coupé '98
1:26.460 - 479 - Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70
1:26.534 - 490 - Dodge Challenger R/T '70

1:26.543 - 427 - Volkswagen Golf IV GTI Touring Car '01
1:26.638 - 454 - Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '98
1:26.677 - 433 - Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '07
1:26.718 - 423 - Honda S2000 '06

I bolded all the relevant machines that compete directly with the Cougar. It holds its own against the fastest muscle cars GT6 has to offer.

Other cars with 462 PP:

1:21.939 - 462 - Amuse S2000 R1 '04
1:22.226 - 462 - Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst R (FD) '01
1:25.772 - 462 - Holden Commodore SS '04

I'll call it a sleeper.

Catching up with a slight backlog in my reviews...

Oh, Kaz. It took you to the sixth iteration of Gran Turismo to finally include a single Firebird into the game, and the only GTOs to be found are the respective alpha and omega editions of the nameplate. Yet with so many of the legendary cars produced under the Pontiac badge omitted, somehow the Vibe was deemed inclusion to digital form in the annals of GT.

That gripe put aside, the Vibe actually was something of a pleasant surprise. (I'm focusing on the Pontiac here, because while the Toyota Voltz is essentially identical, the Vibe is simply better because "MORE POWER!") After the woeful handling of the Fiat Coupe, it was rather pleasant to discover that this "Crossover before crossovers were a thing" actually handled fairly decently. It showed what crossovers could have been before they became a hit with soccer moms and predictably became unnecessarily heavy and bloaty to satiate the masses that used to buy minivans.

The Vibe is no Beater then, but with the number of good cars available at its PP range (including the premium Mazda 6 or the more sporty 240Z), the best I can give it is a Neutral verdict.

Theme song for this week (since this will literally be the only time I get to use it):

Now this is more my style. Hooray for luxury Mustangs.
And now we shall weep for what the Cougar would become later in its life.
images_mercury_cougar_1996_1_800x600.jpg

If you're gonna buy a more luxurious version of the Thunderbird, which was supposed to be luxurious in the first place, at least buy the Lincoln variant with the Mustang engine. The Mark VIII is of my guilty pleasures.​

So, the Mercury Cougar XR-7, how did i like the car you may ask? Well to be short, its a straightup beater, it has a top of 125mph, and it has 335hp, for a big V8 this is bad, the gears are way to short (like in most muscle cars) and it has 0,0 grip, i have to admit, there is no understeer, its all oversteer with its open diff and it cant climb hills worth **** to be honest, i dont like the car, neither the looks or the performance (if you can call it that).

Tuned, its a drift car, thats all i can say, 840 hp on the rear tires as skinny as they are is a hell, even the racing soft tires make it drift everywhere, i think i found my new drift car in the progress haha, still a beater tough besides drifting.

So, the Mercury Cougar XR-7, how did i like the car you may ask? Well to be short, its a straightup beater, it has a top of 125mph, and it has 335hp, for a big V8 this is bad, the gears are way to short (like in most muscle cars) and it has 0,0 grip, i have to admit, there is no understeer, its all oversteer with its open diff and it cant climb hills worth **** to be honest, i dont like the car, neither the looks or the performance (if you can call it that).

Tuned, its a drift car, thats all i can say, 840 hp on the rear tires as skinny as they are is a hell, even the racing soft tires make it drift everywhere, i think i found my new drift car in the progress haha, still a beater tough besides drifting.
You on a DS3 or wheel?

Back