Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I'm stealing that.

Oh how did I know you'd appreciate that one???​

@Baron Blitz Red flipped a coin (so he gets 50% of the blame should something go wrong, Vic gets the other because reasons).

Note to self... turn off the webcam when discussing anything with RunBMc! How in the 🤬 did you know that?!? :nervous: Very very scared now! :scared: :odd: :lol:

As for "some assembly required" for Kat Von D... that's a job I'd gladly take all day to do!!! :drool:

Cheers

Last edited:
Don't know what they're like in stock form, but used to have both in GT5 for some 425PP racing and they were both pretty good with a tune and competitive. They also had good power to weight ratios for their PP but aerodynamics are an issue at high speed.

Have them both in GT6 but haven't driven either of them yet.

I'd rather have the Fiat
5368976_zpshmsffg8g.jpg

What is wrong with you? You are not normal.

Last edited:
Pontiac Vibe GT '03
1.8L
180 hp / 7,500 rpm
130 ft-lb / 7,000 rpm
1,273 kg (2,806 lbs)
375 pp

Toyota Voltz S '02
1.8L
131 hp / 6,000 rpm
125 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,250 kg (2,756 lbs)
341 pp

The Vibe GT makes about 50 more horses than the base Voltz/Vibe, but only 5 more ft-lbs of torque, and has a 50 lb disadvantage. So how do their lap times compare at Mid-Field?

Difference of 6.2 seconds. The Vibe GT saw 112 mph at the end of the straight, while the Voltz managed 103 mph.

Cars within 0.500 seconds of Pontiac Vibe GT '03:

1:32.109 - 388 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST165) '86
1:32.124 - 388 - BMW 120d '04
1:32.247 - 385 - Citroën C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '05
1:32.415 - 372 - Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence '99
1:32.581 - 375 - Pontiac Vibe GT '03
1:32.587 - 389 - Peugeot 406 Coupé 3.0 V6 '98
1:32.594 - 379 - Hyundai Tuscani CCS '03
1:32.608 - 381 - Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93
1:32.734 - 375 - Mazda Atenza Sport 25Z '07
1:32.737 - 413 - Chevrolet SSR '03
1:32.748 - 392 - Citroën C5 V6 Exclusive '03
1:32.772 - 382 - Mazda Atenza Sports 23Z '03
1:32.835 - 376 - Toyota Vitz RS Turbo '02
1:32.884 - 372 - Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '93
1:32.898 - 359 - Alpine A310 1600VE '73
1:32.954 - 371 - Nissan Silvia Varietta (S15) '00

The Vibe GT is pretty quick for a naturally aspirated 1.8L 5-door hatchback.

Cars within 0.500 seconds of Toyota Voltz S '02:

1:38.323 - 340 - Toyota Carina ED 2.0 X 4WS '89
1:38.351 - 344 - Nissan March 12SR '07
1:38.493 - 332 - Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '07
1:38.651 - 384 - Mini Marcos GT '70
1:38.660 - 340 - Honda Accord Coupe '88
1:38.670 - 327 - Toyota Prius G Touring Selection (J) '03
1:38.728 - 330 - Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 '00
1:38.734 - 346 - Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (S54B) '67
1:38.794 - 341 - Toyota Voltz S '02
1:38.831 - 328 - Honda Fit W '01
1:38.952 - 338 - Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto '66
1:38.969 - 331 - Citroën C3 1.6 '02
1:38.989 - 327 - Toyota Vitz F '12
1:38.997 - 331 - Volkswagen Lupo1.4 '02

The base Voltz is barely quicker than a Honda Fit of similar age. I'd rather drive the Fit any day.

Vibe GT vs. other 375 PP cars:

1:31.934 - 375 - Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68
1:31.938 - 375 - Spoon CR-Z
1:32.581 - 375 - Pontiac Vibe GT '03
1:32.734 - 375 - Mazda Atenza Sport 25Z '07
1:33.202 - 375 - Mazda Familia Sedan Sport 20 '02
1:34.329 - 375 - Renault Avantime '02
1:35.862 - 375 - Lotus Europa S.2 '68

Voltz S versus other 341 PP cars:

1:36.061 - 341 - Toyota Sera '92
1:37.916 - 341 - Mazda Demio Sport '03
1:38.794 - 341 - Toyota Voltz S '02

Clearly, the base Voltz/Vibe is beater-iffic. There's a decent amount of enjoyment to be had with the Vibe GT, though, so I'll give it the sleeper award for the week.

For those of you wondering why on Earth I would pick this thing. Well, there's a backstory.

One, I admire them for reasons I'll go into in my review.

Two, a couple of my good friends own Vibes, but none interest me more than this one owned by a guy with the initials N.H.

11539713_927321437326262_4044905373326917251_n.jpg

It's an ongoing project, but as of right now it's been lowered (plus other things I can't think of), and supercharged. Yes, supercharged. The way he loves this car has always impressed me, and he's not the only one I know of. Well, he's the only one I know of that has one that's supercharged, but you get my point.

12476090_1025793990812339_1185641480_n.jpg

You should hear it whine. So glorious.

It's not that bad man... think of it this way... when you do our Time Trial this week, you can say you're "Playing with TT's using a Vibe'rator"! Sounds like fun to me!!! ;) :lol:

Cheers

Maybe I'll get into the mood if I turn up the "Volt"s on the "Vibe"rator!

I took both of them to the Maven's hangout at Midfield and they're actually not that bad. After a few hours with that Fiatsco yesterday the Vibrating Volt is pretty nice.

I'm stealing that.

Congratulations CaddyKOP, and well done! You've earned this week's selection, but please, no more Stalone references. Mick might have to cut ya.

Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson?

407602=13151-28289_wp_-3.jpg

It's the 2002 Toyota Voltz S AND the 2003 Pontiac Vibe!

So nice, it helped euthanize one while being disavowed by the other. Not sure if it's a Car of the Week or a government spy, but we get both anyway!

But before you pick up the controller, there are a few things you may want to know about these two.

Make: '02 Toyota Voltz S - '03 Pontiac Vibe
Performance: 347 PP - 381 PP (cause 'Murica!)
Phatness: 1250 kg - 1273 kg (also cause 'Murica!)
Puniness: 137 hp - 187 hp
Dolla Bills, yo!: 17,880 - 21,120 (and will probably be recalled before it's delivered to your garage)

The answer? If you join us on either Tuesday or Saturday, you'll need BOTH!

"But Brad, what about the Time Trial events?"

Well, to answer your second question first, shut up! Secondly, you already know that @Vic Reign93 won last week with his overachieving time of 2:53.087, and I'm willing to bet that it was his mom that bought that time. Or maybe what @Obelisk said about me is actually true for him and he sold his soul (who do I talk to about that, anyway?. I'm not using it.) For this week's challenge and the major performance gap between the two cars, this week will have to be a little different in that we can only test one of the two and be competitive.

We consulted United Laboratories about tests they had run, Kelly Blue Book for gross over-estimations of approximate value that no one will ever pay for these cars, track analysis from Aichi, Japan and Detroit, Michigan, reviewed all available data from the Department of Energy and the Department of Transportation, verified the data from the California emissions tests on both... whatevertheyares (it's not a "car")... and then we punched a puppy and @Baron Blitz Red flipped a coin (so he gets 50% of the blame should something go wrong, Vic gets the other because reasons). This week's challenge will be on the Matterhorn Rotenboden with the Vibe, and again, that's assuming that you were able to take delivery and transport the car before being served with a recall notice.

(Kat Von D requires some assembly, consult your prenuptial agreement for details.)

I thought we already talked about the fact that I did sell my soul, I figured that was commonly known. :sly:

Anyways, Another double FF car shootout and they couldn't be any more different.

Toyota's effort if I recall correctly has the 4 speed auto and GM's version is a 6 speed manual, apparently there was a GT-R version which was a SEMA show car which had a whopping 10hp more than the standard Vibe GT. :P

Both cars are capable of well over 300hp fully tuned with the Toyota Voltz coming in a 326hp and 1052kg and the Vibe at 350hp and 1046kg.

And remember people, the difference between Science and screwing around, is writing it down. :lol: ( I picked up some Mythbusters vibes from that "Funny cause it's true" line @Baron Blitz Red :D)

Oh, Fiat. You checked so many of the right boxes on the Coupe. It's light, has plentiful power, and looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, they completely missed the mark on the handling front. Did it not occur to anyone at Fiat to go a couple doors down where the Ferrari offices were to consult on remedying the car's horrendous understeer? This is easily one of the poorest handling cars we've been presented.

This combined with the fact that it's twice as expensive as better handling front drive cars at the same performance level, means that it easily earns a Beater label. Seriously, anyone thinking about buying this car; Stop. Turn back. Go to the Honda dealership. Buy an Integra. You'll be seeing a lot more of these than you ever will driving the Fiat Coupe:

iWKad22.jpg

Really...

In this instance, the whole "Blame Vic" shtick is actually justifiable as I kinda brought Puns and one liners to the forefront of COTW in the past. :D:lol:

And I'm not sorry for doing so. :P:tup:

Ford and Honda gave us plenty of car name puns to work with, I would give a few examples, but @McClarenDesign will probably put another contract out on me for Tuesday's races. :sly:

It was a joke... if someone doesn't like my sense of humour, TOO BAD. Wouldn't be the first time, not even close.

Cheers

Well, comedy is beyond subjective, there is simply no way to please every person in existence with your jokes, so trying too hard is unnecessary. Just take it in a lighter tone and if it offends you somehow, just let it happen naturally and move on. Comedy is comedy, nothing more.

This isn't the "Jokes review" thread, this is the Car Of The Week thread. We just like to makes things a little lighter in tone and funnier for others... ;)

Speaking of the COTW...Every time I tried to run the TT, my PSN imploded or my PS3 crashed. That tells me all I need to know about the Voltz and Vibe. :lol:

It was a joke... if someone doesn't like my sense of humour, TOO BAD. Wouldn't be the first time, not even close.

Cheers

Well, comedy is beyond subjective, there is simply no way to please every person in existence with your jokes, so trying too hard is unnecessary. Just take it in a lighter tone and if it offends you somehow, just let it happen naturally and move on. Comedy is comedy, nothing more.

This isn't the "Jokes review" thread, this is the Car Of The Week thread. We just like to makes things a little lighter in tone and funnier for others... ;)

Did I say I didn't like it? I only posted that because of how absurd (and clever) that joke was.

BTW, "Voltz" doesn't kill you, current does.

Did I say I didn't like it? I only posted that because of how absurd (and clever) that joke was.

BTW, "Voltz" doesn't kill you, current does.

Well, my interpretation of the Star Trek Facepalm meme is that it's usually meant for negative responses, not praising. That is why I thought you didn't like the joke...

I won't be able to join you guys tomorrow because I'm on vacation and away from the PS3 but I'll try and make it on Saturday.

Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus isn't the best car and nothing to get too excited about. I remember buying this car back on GT3 and racing it in the Turbo Series. The car wasn't bad but I had a hard time when modified trying to keep up with the 3000GT. Now jumping forward to last weeks races. It had decent speed but it lacked acceleration coming out of turns. Felt like it was sluggish in the turns and once it got going it was better but with this car you couldn't late brake or you would find yourself out wide or off the track. Like others have said it had a very hard time turning into corners.

For the Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus I would give it a beater status as it personally didn't fit my style of racing and was sluggish accelerating out of corners. As of right now it would be in contention for Beater of the Year but this only week one of 2016 COTW so there could aways be worse cars then this one.

Jesus christ. Where do I start?

Edit: OB had a brain fart.

Okay. Let's begin.

@Obelisk is under investigation for unapproved cranial emissions, and the device used to pass initial testing. VW and
Apple are both currently litigating the patent on this, so expect the judgement to be announced once those court proceedings are completed. (My money is on VW, because unlike Apple products, it actually works.)

Note to self... turn off the webcam when discussing anything with RunBMc! How in the 🤬 did you know that?!? :nervous: Very very scared now!

Neither the NSA, nor the Canadian government can either confirm nor deny any involvement, nor can they confirm or deny my employment by the NSA or any interactions with any other covert agency. But then again, you've got nothing to hide, right?

5368976_zpshmsffg8g.jpg

What is wrong with you? You are not normal.

When you figure it out, the Norwegian Nobel Committee would like to submit your findings for peer review and testing before offering any reward.

I thought we already talked about the fact that I did sell my soul, I figured that was commonly known.

@Vic Reign93 is under investigation for intentional deception for personal and/or monetary gain. Additionally, a charge of Providing False Testimony has this was not previously discussed, as stated by the Defendant.

Never mind.

@RacingOtaku86 is under investigation for failure to provide adequate attention, as stipulated by the rules and regulations accepted in the Car of the Week Concorde Agreement of 2012.

In this instance, the whole "Blame Vic" shtick is actually justifiable as I kinda brought Puns and one liners to the forefront of COTW in the past.

And I'm not sorry for doing so.

Ford and Honda gave us plenty of car name puns to work with, I would give a few examples, but @McClarenDesign will probably put another contract out on me for Tuesday's races. :sly:

@Vic Reign93 has been fined 300,000 Cr as punishment for bringing our sport into ill repute. Because he has cooperated with the investigation and assisted with correcting the damage done, this penalty is considerably lighter than typically awarded. However, the sanctioning body reserves the right to administer punitive damages at an exponential rate for each further occurrence at a minimum rate of 1,000,000 per offense.

We are not amused.

Forgive him. He plays with rabbits.

@photonrider is under investigation for copyright infringement.

Comment removed.

@Baron Blitz Red is under investigation for censorship.

@Niku Driver HC is under investigation for failure to ensure laughter met levels equal to or greater than the total number of participants, as well and failing to ensure that satisfaction was received by said participants.

The sanctioning body would like to remind the participants that if you aren't offended at least once, you probably aren't a participant the sanctioning body approves of, and will likely find yourself under investigation if not already in the process. Participation in Car of the Week constitutes initial warning and acceptance of the terms of use, even when offended by said terms of use. By breathing you agree to those terms and waive all rights to challenge the authority, conclusions, and punishments handed down by the sanctioning body for past, current and all future investigations.

Speaking of the COTW...Every time I tried to run the TT, my PSN imploded or my PS3 crashed. That tells me all I need to know about the Voltz and Vibe. :lol:

@Obelisk is under investigation for console genocide, as stipulated by the Geneva Convention.

Well, I made myself look like an ass again, so I took it down.

@RacingOtaku86 is under investigation for identity theft.

I won't be able to join you guys tomorrow because I'm on vacation and away from the PS3 but I'll try and make it on Saturday.

@Racer283 is under investigation for failing to ensure the PS3 was offered the same benefits and rights as offered to other members on his team, including the drivers and staff. This constitutes console abuse and will be punished with the same sentencing used in child/animal abuse cases per appropriate statute. The sanctioning body reminds @Racer283 that said accommodations were met when he traveled to Los Angeles last year, and "neener."

Dudes, sorry I haven't been around much but I had a beater of a time in what I'm already going to call beater of the year Fiat Coupe Turbo. What's the "plus" anyway? I saw no plus about it. Anyway, I've got Vibes and a Fry's promo code this week to buy a T300RS for $307.99 plus Uncle Sam's share. I'm stoked!

@turismoslayer is under investigation for failure to ensure his likeness is on adequate milk cartons, as to alert local authorities and the general public of his absence in a timely manor.

IF you have any information about the location of @turismoslayer please contact your local authorities, or dial 911.

Jesus christ. Where do I start?

Okay. Let's begin.

@Obelisk is under investigation for unapproved cranial emissions, and the device used to pass initial testing. VW and
Apple are both currently litigating the patent on this, so expect the judgement to be announced once those court proceedings are completed. (My money is on VW, because unlike Apple products, it actually works.)

Neither the NSA, nor the Canadian government can either confirm nor deny any involvement, nor can they confirm or deny my employment by the NSA or any interactions with any other covert agency. But then again, you've got nothing to hide, right?

When you figure it out, the Norwegian Nobel Committee would like to submit your findings for peer review and testing before offering any reward.

@Vic Reign93 is under investigation for intentional deception for personal and/or monetary gain. Additionally, a charge of Providing False Testimony has this was not previously discussed, as stated by the Defendant.

@RacingOtaku86 is under investigation for failure to provide adequate attention, as stipulated by the rules and regulations accepted in the Car of the Week Concorde Agreement of 2012.

@Vic Reign93 has been fined 300,000 Cr as punishment for bringing our sport into ill repute. Because he has cooperated with the investigation and assisted with correcting the damage done, this penalty is considerably lighter than typically awarded. However, the sanctioning body reserves the right to administer punitive damages at an exponential rate for each further occurrence at a minimum rate of 1,000,000 per offense.

We are not amused.

@photonrider is under investigation for copyright infringement.

@Baron Blitz Red is under investigation for censorship.

@Niku Driver HC is under investigation for failure to ensure laughter met levels equal to or greater than the total number of participants, as well and failing to ensure that satisfaction was received by said participants.

The sanctioning body would like to remind the participants that if you aren't offended at least once, you probably aren't a participant the sanctioning body approves of, and will likely find yourself under investigation if not already in the process. Participation in Car of the Week constitutes initial warning and acceptance of the terms of use, even when offended by said terms of use. By breathing you agree to those terms and waive all rights to challenge the authority, conclusions, and punishments handed down by the sanctioning body for past, current and all future investigations.

@Obelisk is under investigation for console genocide, as stipulated by the Geneva Convention.

@RacingOtaku86 is under investigation for identity theft.

@Racer283 is under investigation for failing to ensure the PS3 was offered the same benefits and rights as offered to other members on his team, including the drivers and staff. This constitutes console abuse and will be punished with the same sentencing used in child/animal abuse cases per appropriate statute. The sanctioning body reminds @Racer283 that said accommodations were met when he traveled to Los Angeles last year, and "neener."

@turismoslayer is under investigation for failure to ensure his likeness is on adequate milk cartons, as to alert local authorities and the general public of his absence in a timely manor.

IF you have any information about the location of @turismoslayer please contact your local authorities, or dial 911.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Charlie Whiting Jr. :D:lol:

Prepare for my short and sweet review:

The Vibe and Voltz don't really have a special place in the GT series. To me it'e like PD added these two just to get the car count up, but these two are the "performance" versions. I have a thing for the Vibe. It has that mid 2000s Pontiac style, and has the performance to go with it. In the right sense, this could be a sleeper or even a possible troll car, but if you're gonna add a car like this, at least try to put it in some sort of spotlight or somewhere where it could be noticed. So for now, my vote is beater.

Back