Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Took your advice on this...
It's a great car that does handle suprisingly well out of the box. and was an easy win with no aids.

Congratulations Robbks! Robbks?

Hello?

No word from this week's winner, but the show must go on! @Robbks just contact me and we'll set you up for next week, maybe?

In the meantime, how do we follow up a Ferrari? With another horse, of course, of course!

No? Well, maybe this will change your mind.

00302.jpg

It's the 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1!!!

Yeah, I though that might do the trick. (Ed. note: "Illusion", not trick. Tricks are what hookers do for money. Or coke.)

Again, @Vic Reign93 leads the Time Trials with a lap of 1:33.472. This week's "Playing With TTs!" event is at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca!

Congratulations Robbks! Robbks?

Hello?

No word from this week's winner, but the show must go on! @Robbks just contact me and we'll set you up for next week, maybe?

In the meantime, how do we follow up a Ferrari? With another horse, of course, of course!

No? Well, maybe this will change your mind.

00302.jpg

It's the 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1!!!

Yeah, I though that might do the trick. (Ed. note: "Illusion", not trick. Tricks are what hookers do for money. Or coke.)

Again, @Vic Reign93 leads the Time Trials with a lap of 1:33.472. This week's "Playing With TTs!" event is at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca!

Laguna, huh? Finally a step away from the course maker tracks (the one last week had too much banking on the chicanes)

Also @Vic Reign93 teach me to be an alien please!

Oh silly Obelisk, Vic's alien skills aren't things one can simply "teach"... All one can do is practice. A whole metric ton of practice, patience and zero procrastination. Having passion for driving can also come in handy, one would say. ;)

As for the Mach 1, well, it's not a muscle car that I pay a lot of attention to most of the time. Being a Bow Tie man may have something to do with it, but there are also other Mustangs (something with the name "Shelby") that do a better job of being high - power Mustang versions. Whether or not this Mach 1 can out entertain the Nova in terms of driving pleasure, that remains to be seen...

As said by Niku, Practice, patience and passion go a long way to improvement and I definitely didn't get to where I am in one week. :lol:

On to the Mach 1, as stated, the Mustang was brought back into the limelight when Top Gear went on a very infamous trip to Argentina ( and all the fallout from it :rolleyes:)

But that wouldn't be doing the Mach 1 any justice so here's the Mach 1's real claim to fame..

(Apologies if any swear bombs are dropped :))

That is the original "Gone in 60 seconds" absurdly long 40 minute car chase in which scripted and unscripted moments are put together in a rather excellent piece of cinematic brilliance. ;)👍

Heck reading the Wiki for the movie and all the interestings that happened in this chase is also something I'd recommend.

And the cherry on top of all this? come race night I'll be officially joining the 23 year old club. :D

But that wouldn't be doing the Mach 1 any justice so here's the Mach 1's real claim to fame..

(Apologies if any swear bombs are dropped :))

That is the original "Gone in 60 seconds" absurdly long 40 minute car chase in which scripted and unscripted moments are put together in a rather excellent piece of cinematic brilliance. ;)👍

Ah yes, Gone in 60 Seconds, in the days before Nic Cage took a Shelby GT500 and treated it like a woman (in more ways than one)... A fine movie, but that ending chase scene is definitely its highest point. Bullit isn't the only movie that made a Mustang chase seem credible and exciting at the same time.

However, being the buzzkilling guy I am (:sly:), I do have to state one thing; the Mach 1 used by Sir Not-Cage is a 1973 year model. If we want 100% accuracy considering "our" own Mach 1, we must call another man. A man who is quite the famous personality in Britain, well-known Martini lover and Walter P38 user. A man Vic must know down to a tee, and one who should be familiar to just about everyone else here;

The name's... actually, you already know this bit, complete it for me will ya? :P :lol:

Also, here's an early and belated welcome to the "23yrs Driver Club". Don't go Motoharu "Gan-San" Kurosawa on us now, old man... :cheers: :)👍

Last edited:
Ah yes, Gone in 60 Seconds, in the days before Nic Cage took a Shelby GT500 and treated it like a woman (in more ways than one)... A fine movie, but that ending chase scene is definitely its highest point. Bullit isn't the only movie that made a Mustang chase seem credible and exciting at the same time.

However, being the buzzkilling guy I am (:sly:), I do have to state one thing; the Mach 1 used by Sir Cage is a 1973 year model. If we want 100% accuracy considering "our" own Mach 1, we must call another man. A man who is quite the personality in Britain, well-known Martini lover and Walter P38 user. A man Vic must know down to a tee, and one who should be familiar to just about everyone else here;

The name's... actually, you already know this bit, complete it for me will ya? :P :lol:

Also, here's an early and belated welcome to the "23yrs Driver Club". Don't go Motoharu "Gan-San" Kurosawa on us now, old man... :cheers: :)👍

The name's Vic, Tricky Vic? :lol:

I know the 1973 thing was gonna get brought up, but I do have a nicely prepared retort. ;)

'Eleanor' is a customised 1971 Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof ( redressed as a 1973 model) -Courtesy of the Wiki on the 'Eleanor' Mustang. :sly:

However, being the buzzkilling guy I am (:sly:), I do have to state one thing; the Mach 1 used by Sir Not-Cage is a 1973 year model. If we want 100% accuracy considering "our" own Mach 1, we must call another man. A man who is quite the famous personality in Britain, well-known Martini lover and Walter P38 user.

That's pretty funny considering that James Bond uses a PPK and not a P38.

EDIT: You also made another mistake... it's Walther btw. :lol:

Cheers

Last edited:
(I'm just gonna ignore the fact that Niku got to posting this before me)

Oh no you don't, I called dibs on that just by posting the video. You can't escape my (somewhat inaccurate) cowboy eye... :mischievous: :lol:

That's pretty funny considering that James Bond uses a PPK and not a P38.

EDIT: You also made another mistake... it's Walther btw. :lol:

Cheers

In my honest defense, my gun knowledge is mostly limited to mainstream FPSes, lesser known FPSes (Fistful of Frags) and this. Of course I'd make mistakes regarding James Bond's gun, right? :P :lol:

The name's Vic, Tricky Vic? :lol:

I know the 1973 thing was gonna get brought up, but I do have a nicely prepared retort. ;)

'Eleanor' is a customised 1971 Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof ( redressed as a 1973 model) -Courtesy of the Wiki on the 'Eleanor' Mustang. :sly:

Silly Vic, it's Speedy Vic, not Tricky. Being Tricky would require you to be in difficult situations often, and you aren't that slow to be in such situations. Am I right? :sly: :lol:

Well spotted, I eventually realized that after taking a look at the Wiki article myself. It may not be accurate 100% of the time (like myself), but you cannot underestimate the Wiki god...

I think his original pistol was related to the P38. /OT

He had a Beretta in the beginning of Dr. No, which M forced him to switch to a PPK as part of, "standard issue."

He used the PPK until Tomorrow Never Dies when he lost the PPK, and replaced it with the P99, which was used through the end of Brosnan's tenure. Craig marked the return of the PPK.

/bondnerdgasm

The Ferrari Daytona, it's hard to believe it was considered obsolete when it first released in the early 70's as the mid-engine craze among the European exotics was just starting to take hold. But much like human babies have no shortage of teething problems, the early mid-engine efforts from Lamborghini (the Miura and Countach) and from Ferrari itself (the 512B) had shown that while the drivetrain layout may have been ideal for all out speed, it was often a Widowmaker for drivers not prepared for the unpredictable sudden oversteer of those early designs.

The Ferrari 365 on the other hand, which kept the tried and true philosophy of "engine up front, wheels driving at the back", feels like a far more reliable steed. It's still possible for the rear end to get away, but it takes far more throttle input and g-loads to make it happen. As a result, the car not only handles as good as any car in its time period, it handles as good as any car ever, period.

Simply put, I regard the Daytona as the best road car Ferrari ever produced. Not the F40, not the Enzo, not the LaFerrari. No other car encapsulates the mythos of what the Prancing Horse Brand is about quite like this does. To call it a Sleeper would be an understatment. What I have to call it, is simply wonderful.

Last edited:
I have temporarily misplaced my USB stick. Boo. Here's a condensed review of this Mustang.

Pudgy Pony

mump_1006_01_o+1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+mach_1.jpg

This is pretty much an adequate recreation of what the Mustang I chose looked like.
Mustangs are kind of love/hate for me, with the overall decision coming from what generation it is. To sum it up:

64-66: Love
67-68: Love
69-70: Love
74-78: Neutral
79-93: Hate
94-98: Hate
99-04: Hate
05-09: Hate
10-14: Love
15-: Love

Notice I left out the 71-73 like the one we're testing this week? That's because I literally don't know how to feel about it. I really love the aesthetics of the model, the look is very fitting with muscle cars of the time, and I like the stripes and two-tone paint of the Mach 1 and Boss 351 models. However, the rest of it just doesn't move me. Especially considering it comes right after the best iteration of the first generation Mustang.

mump_0406_09_z+1971_ford_mustang_boss_351+red_rear_view.jpg

This is a Boss 351. However, the badging is literally the only thing that differentiates it from the Mach 1 on the outside.
I was hoping this review would help me decide once and for all where it stands on my list. But, well...

Things I like:

• Straight-line speed is as good as always. It is a 70s muscle car after all.
  • Long, wide bends are a walk in the park.
  • The noise...god the noise.
Things I don't like:
  • Brakes were quite spongy in my eyes.
  • Tight corners were next to impossible.
  • There's really no difference between this and the Cougar from a few weeks back in terms of driving.
It gave me a lap time of 3:25.011, which is dead in the middle when compared to other muscle cars I've tested here. Yeah, maybe I just don't like this thing all too much, however, perhaps there's room to grow from it. I'll give it a neutral for now.

Latest Posts

Back