Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Perhaps an apology is in order, then. My reviewing skills just weren't up to par this week. I drive the Prelude on like, Tuesday, and I didn't get the review written until last night. Lots of stuff going on. What I do remember most was being very happy with the Prelude's driving characteristics.

Anyway, expensive puppy this week. I might have to grind some seasonals or sell a few organs for this one.

Perhaps an apology is in order, then. My reviewing skills just weren't up to par this week. I drive the Prelude on like, Tuesday, and I didn't get the review written until last night. Lots of stuff going on. What I do remember most was being very happy with the Prelude's driving characteristics.

Anyway, expensive puppy this week. I might have to grind some seasonals or sell a few organs for this one.

No need to apologise for having a different view on the Prelude, everyone's mileage varys with each car. :)

If candles weren't meant to be lit at both ends, then why does the wick run the entire length? You can't explain that!
Because as the candle burns, it uses up the wax that it is composed of. The wick runs the entire length so the candle can keep itself supplied with wax. Also, if the wick didn't go all the way, you'd end up with a solid, half-melted block of wax.

Really can't add much more this week than what has been already said. This car felt like the Acura CL all over again. So much plowing in the corners, so much tire smoke from the fronts as the car fails to handle the cornering loads. This car truly is a beater, it has everything that should make for a good performance coupe, and instead it falls flat on its face. The only reason I can come up with for Honda selling a car this bad was to hopefully upsell their customers to an Acura Integra after a poor test drive experience at the dealership.

After that travesty last week, it was a treat to learn that the Ferrari Daytona had been selected as our car for the week. And it's a very appropriate selection, as this year marks the 45th Anniversary of arguably the greatest victory ever for the Prancing Horse Brand.....

...the 1971 Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash (a.k.a. The Cannonball Run), where race founder and car journalist Brock Yates teamed up with racing legend Dan Gurney to win the infamous and illegal New York to Los Angeles road race.

The story of this madcap adventure from Yates himself: http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ing-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature

See you at the Portofino!

Preludicrous...

That about sums it up for me. I've been struggling with how to review this car. My memory MUST be getting bad, because in real life, I could've sworn this was a decent car. Yes, I realise that real life doesn't transfer well to video games, but yipes!!! This was terrible.

First off, I made the mistake of buying the wrong year... I bought the '98 version. No big deal, the '96 has the same stats for power, torque and weight. The '98 also has the added bonus of having a nicer spoiler. The main difference was about 5pp, which went to the '96's advantage. Why??? Well that discussion would be about the game and not the car, so we'll leave that alone, won't we.

Is it simply the ATTS system that kills this car??? No, just no. There are a bunch of things wrong with it, and handling is a major issue. When I hear comparisons to other FF cars with 6 cylinder engines instead of the 2.2 litre 4 cylinder engine this one has, you know it's bad. That was further cemented in truth when @McClarenDesign brought out what should've been the Beater of the Year and pretty well toasted the field... a terrible car smoking the competition... I wonder what that tells me?!?

Beater and Forget 'er.

Cheers

Take it to the current seasonal at Apricot Hill. It's an easy win even sans modifications. If you have the 200% log in bonus it pays for itself in just 3 laps :cheers:

Took your advice on this...
It's a great car that does handle suprisingly well out of the box. and was an easy win with no aids.

although I reckon the SH tyres are probably too grippy for 1971...
I'll run it again with CH tonight and see if it still feels as good. I do like a loose car generally, so going to the CH tyres to make it slide around a bit should be fun

MCD never logged on today.

=====================
Obelisk's reviews
Week 2 - Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71

Hey, it's been a few weeks. I was supposed to review a Prelude last week, but the nice old lady from the RUF review came by and mistook her gas for her brake. Now I have a new doorway in my house, and I really don't like the view.

The fella who keeps sending me these cars to review sent me a text.
"Head down to Imola. I got a car you'll like this week."

...There's a catch here...

"I'm in trouble with the track marshals...Can you hold onto it?"

I knew it. I wonder what he got himself into this time.

Anyways, I headed over to Imola by plane. Long flight, but it turned out to be worth it. I was given the keys to a Nero Ferrari 365 GTB4. A front-mounted 4.4 liter V12 cranking out 366 horsepower after a fresh oil change and a meager curb weight of 1,200 kilograms means that this old horse was ready to stampede.

The marshals told me I only had ten minutes to run the Ferrari on track.

That's enough for five laps, so I took it. And what a machine this Ferrari is.
0-60 in 5.4 seconds and a top speed of 174 for a car from the 1970s, and remarkably modern handling to boot. A bit of careful throttle work made sure that I ripped through the corners at the limits of the old machine's tires. It was a bit iffy when the back got loose or if the car shifts weight suddenly, and it isn't easy to recover from fishtailing in this car. The brakes seem a tad weak for a Ferrari, but it may just be my imagination. The suspension was soft. Not "'Murican" soft, but enough to give it a slightly boosted sense of comfort.

After my five laps were up, they gave me my best lap time.

1:38.117.

Not bad at all. This car is definitely something.
I know I do these reviews backwards, but performance for me tends to take priority. Anyways, looks.

The car vaguely reminds me of the 250 GT (not the GTO) in terms of the body shape. The black really does look good on the car, but those hazard things under the pop-up lights could be a bit distracting. And I mean distracting like the Beast of Turin at last year's Goodwood event.

That said, all Ferraris look quite nice. This one's no exception. The problem is, it's a Ferrari. People will know that it's fast...

So this week, on behalf of my now-arrested friend at Imola, I declare this Ferrari a sleeper. You read that right. A sleeper. Why?

It can be upgraded to outperform its younger relative, the Enzo. That tuning potential earns it a spot in my collection of cars.

Until next week,
Obelisk.

Well people, I'm not sure what to say... @McClarenDesign hasn't sent me any messages on any of the websites we chat on. I'm just hoping everything is well and we'll see his smiley charming self soon.

Maybe #GranTurismoWednesday ???

Hoping you're ok RunBMc!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Anyone else get a bad feeling about this?

Well, where I am, we had a pretty bad snowstorm... 50ish cm's of the white stuff (that's about 20") here, so maybe it's something weather related that knocked out internet for him. He posted here today, and posted on G+ around 10:10pm EST, so I was expecting the norm.

Although concerned, I'm sure there's a logical, rational explanation to the night's Houdini act. Let's just hope he's having fun!

Cheers

What's up with the race tonight? You o.k. MC?

Well people, I'm not sure what to say... @McClarenDesign hasn't sent me any messages on any of the websites we chat on. I'm just hoping everything is well and we'll see he smiley charming self soon.

Maybe #GranTurismoWednesday ???

Hoping you're ok RunBMc!!!

Cheers

Sorry guys. Took a nap and set my alarm, then woke up today at 9a. I was sick, but only a cold. I'll be on tonight to make it up to ya.

Wait.. COTW on Thursday Wednesday instead of Wednesday Tuesday?

Also, the sudden Shut down of my PS3 came back again. I just realize that all the times happened while i'm playing GT6. Been playing older games like GTA IV and Gran Turismo 2 on my PS3 and i didn't get that sudden Beeps. Does my PS3 hates GT6?

Un dono di Dio.

Ahhh, Ferraris. They're one of those cars that manages to stick around within the lore of the automotive world. From their days in the racing leagues of the 1940s and 1950s, where they immediately became famous for their blood red paint and constant wins, to their record breaking supercars in recent years, everyone knows about Ferraris. And while some people don't regard Ferraris as their favorite machines, everyone at least has one favorite. Mine is the 458. That's why I own one.

12733559_229057810767518_4501741606435673025_n.jpg

My black 458 is one of my three most trustworthy cars, alongside my blue Miata and grey WRX Coupe. I've owned it ever since December of 2013, and I don't regret a single thing that I've done with this car. But, enough about my 458, because the topic of today is yet another legendary Ferrari...one that became famous through the means of the 1970s jet set and cocaine busts in 1980s Miami: the 365 GTB4 Daytona.

12743966_229057390767560_2040109521535555748_n.jpg

Okay, first things first, I'm gonna be honest. I was a little nervous walking into this review. It's been said that my Prelude review from last week was quite...controversial? Apparently the consensus says that the Prelude isn't as great as I thought it was. Something about one of its driving systems (predominantly the ATTS system) wears down tires...I never experienced this, and I never experienced any loss of fun behind the wheel, but nonetheless...it's not the first time I've disagreed with the majority (-glances at the Vibe/Voltz-). However, one glance at the Daytona's classic lines and I was suddenly back into my zone, and a wash of childhood memories came over me.

12743868_229057387434227_5446472999435691304_n.jpg

Let's face it...the Daytona is sexy. It's never stopped being sexy. This was one of the definitive Ferraris of the 20th century, right up there in the legends with the F40 and Testarossa. I first learned of its beauty about 10 years ago, when I received a little Hot Wheels of one, and it's honestly stuck with me ever since. I was shaking out of my bones when I was thrust with the opportunity to drive one, partly because it's been a dream car for me for quite sometime, but mostly because I didn't want to wreck this thing. It's serious money. Plus I don't want to see that perfectly formed body receive a single dent or scratch.

12718279_229057457434220_7324456155373423477_n.jpg

But as rare and as expensive as she is, you didn't tune in just to see me wimp out of an opportunity to drive one of the most sought-after Ferraris in existence. It's time to straddle myself into these fine, Italian leather bucket seats and let this prancing horse run. Let's do this thing.

12705490_229057517434214_4335849691718593101_n.jpg

It seems we've been driving a lot of cars on this series lately that felt like they were fast, when they weren't really fast. Well, this time, the Ferrari is fast. There's no denying its speed and general quickness at all. Within the Daytona's stable is a 352 horsepower V12, and a slippery streamlined body. And boy, does this girl sing. You'll find yourself knocking at her peak in just a few mere seconds, and it's a helluva joyous feeling, like this is what you were meant to be doing in this car.

12743634_229057620767537_5783760055899472189_n.jpg

Dip into the corners, and what do you know? Not everything falls apart. Okay, so it's not exactly up to the strengths and nimbleness as my 458, but it still manages to conquer a corner just as well as it did 40+ years ago. The one word I could muster up to define its driving characteristics is, "slightly heavy," as it does understeer a little bit, but not too much to take the fun out of it. Compared to the last car from this era, the Mercury Cougar, it's an F1 car.

12743525_229057577434208_7622927294951390515_n.jpg

Around long and sweeping bends, it glides like butter. It makes you feel like you're being caressed and carried by four Italian angels, all singing at a medium tone. Up until they all suddenly sprout fire from their throats and the car overheats. Luckily, nothing like that happened this time.

580358_229057650767534_5735426159393394022_n.jpg

In the end, the Daytona mustered a time of 3.08.659, which is actually quite quick in comparison to what we've driven so far on this series. It's actually quicker than that old Viper from last year, and that's honestly all that matters to me. And, yes, this time, I actually decided to race it.

12734048_229057730767526_8513140627966221894_n.jpg

I found the perfect series to enter the car into. A collection of purists from around the world with a selection of different classics from different countries on the Nurburgring. We had Mustangs, E-Types, Countachs, and there was even another Daytona in the field. I'm going to say that it was my driving style on this track that propelled me to a second place victory, but I definitely had a good deal of fun driving this old horse...and like that old attiche says...something about old dog, new tricks?

12744478_229057677434198_7918946201813576520_n.jpg

Driving amongst these old machines did make me feel like I was back in the 1970s, hence the black and white photos.

12742815_229057467434219_7568680809942412463_n.jpg

The Verdict

With good looks, a quick engine, and not-so-nimble-but-not-so-bad handling, I can't help but give the Daytona some sleeper cred, and I swear it's not only because beating on it would make me feel like I was pissing on old Enzo's grave. Cars like this are a dime a dozen. They're cars that you just don't turn down, no matter the circumstances. And it's cars like these that make me feel so proud of my 458 just a little more...now to save up some cash to own my own version...then we'd be alright.

Actually, @CaddyKOP, I also enjoy driving the Vibe. Yes, that present verb tense is accurate; I hated the slow-moving, cumbersome gearbox-ladden Voltz, but the Vibe was a pleasant surprise. Same goes for the Daytona, it almost seems too good for its... well, good. Then again, Enzo's legacy has such a power on his cars.

As for Saturday, I'm afraid I will not joining you for some Daytona racing. I'll be attending rallymorten's Midfield Sportscar Trophy, and with such a race being an endurance race, it'll last for quite a while. And afterwards, I won't have enough concentration to avoid being a nuissance for other COTW drivers. Have fun, and pull some powerslides in my absence. :)👍

Latest Posts

Back