Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Time for 2 cars which were made in the same year, but drastically different in the end result. :)

Gone In 60 Seconds Of Miami Vices

We start with a car that shares its iconic name with a Dodge and a Shelby, but was made in Italy.

The 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB4 'Daytona'. :bowdown:

Packing a 4.4 litre V12 with 6 carburettors, the engine was capable of around 350hp which gave it a claimed top speed of 173mph which put it up against the Lamborghini Muria.

It has quite the race history too in the GT Class at Le Mans, 5th overall in 1971, 3 GT Class wins in a row from 1972-1974.

It's final racing achievement was fittingly at the 24 hours of Daytona in 1979 where they finished 2nd overall in a 1973 Daytona. :eek:

And of course Dan Gurney and Brock Yates used a Daytona for the inaugural Cannonball run from New York to LA in 35 hours and 54 minutes with an average speed of 80 mph over 2,876 miles. :bowdown:

It's other claim to fame was the TV show Miami Vice, but not how you're expecting as the producers used a Corvette chassis and built a replica Daytona around it. :crazy:

Naturally this got back to Ferrari and they weren't what you call happy campers about it ( More things change, more things stay the same eh Ferrari? :sly:) and sued, that led to the Daytona getting killed off on screen and the Purely 80's Ferrari Testorossa taking its place. ;)

These days Daytonas go for big money, like almost a Million Dollars kind of money. :drool:

As for the GT6 version, it's both great to drive and quick thanks to its light weight of 1200kg, decent handling and forgiving.

It's almost too good for its age. :D:tup:

Granted it's 550,000Cr to get, but as classic beautys go, it's good around a track as well as good on the eyes. :lol:

It's a good example of getting what you paid for, so my verdict is Sleeper. :cheers:👍

From the roaming hills of Italy to the two lane blacktop of USA.

The 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1. 👍

If it's not running from cops, it's running from ticked off Argentineans whom were misguided by their own government to thinking the licence plate that caused all the chaos was intentionally put on Clarksons 928 ( it wasn't ) and are trying to charge him with swapping the plates with ones which would've got rid of the offending plates in the first place. :rolleyes::crazy:

(Small disclaimer: Argentina is actually a good looking country from what Top Gear showed and a good majority are quite nice people so if you get the chance to go, take it. :)👍)

Dragging myself back from my beef with that whole thing, the Ford Mustang came with an assortment of V8 engines, We got the 351 (5.8 liters) Clevland CJ with Ram Air making around 300hp.

Of course if you wanted more, there was a 429 (7.0 liters) Super Cobra Jet with Ram air making 375hp. :drool:

Now a lot of what I said about the Mecury Cougar could apply to the Mustang, Short gearing, open differential, not too tricky to drive and can be quite fun. :)

But it's slightly more expensive, less powerful and slower at top speed than the Cougar and that does make the Mustang a Neutral Verdict winner, a decent Neutral mind you. :D

Great things can go wrong so quick. In a nose-dive that was even quicker than the one Chicago suffered when Peter Cetera left the band; it only took a single model year for my favorite Mustang, the '70 Boss 302, to be replaced by one of my least favorite, the far boxier and uglier Mach 1. And if that wasn't enough, they made this Mustang iteration more nose-heavy, slapped Comfort Softs on its wheels, and capped it with a ridiculously low 110 MPH top speed.

As a result, it feels worse not only compared to the previous generation of Shelby GT350 and Mercury Cougar I've driven, but it falls victim to that rabid creature that makes a habit of eating Mustangs alive with impunity.

Yes, enter the '69 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. Despite being a generation older than the Mach 1 Mustang, the Camaro can more than easily hang with it in the corners and then leave it in the dust on long straights with a transmission that allows speeds close to 130 MPH.

With one of the low points of Mustang design combined with some better alternatives from both the Blue Oval and the rival Bow Tie available in game, I have to call it a Beater.

Score another win for me and the General.

"Wild, wild horses, we'll ride them someday..."

Htt9Wjb.jpg

Like the Rolling Stones song says, "Wild horses couldn't drag me away"... they actually make me come back for more. The past 2 weeks have been good to us, from a prancing horse to a pony that I used to own in real life... the memories that these cars bring back are nostalgic. I used to have fun in my '71 Mach 1 Mustang and I enjoyed watching the fake Daytona Spider in Miami Vice. I miss those days of my younger life, but most of all, I miss my hair. :lol:

Besides the year, the drivetrain and the first letter of their maker's names, that's really about it for similarities. The 365 is a car to die for in real life, the Mach 1, not so much. The allure of the Ferrari is similar to gravity... people just get pulled towards it. The Mach 1 you need to be fan, or at least a former owner... if owning one didn't turn you off it, that is. Both are collector cars in real life, but I'm sure what you'd pay in insurance for a Daytona would buy a pony car outright.

While I'm happy that both were crafted in great detail in GT6, the Mustang's depiction is off the mark. Sure it handled decently in game, but it's top end speed was off to say the least. Sadly, I wouldn't know about the Ferrari's capabilities in real life, but in game it gets a Sleeper and Keeper status from me. The Mach 1 gets a neutral status, as it's worth having just for the premium treatment it got.

Cheers

My small minor review, seeing as how Ted, ATT&T, and Playstation kept me from actually racing this week.... I was surprised that the 71 came with CS tires, and how much different it was than the other Stangs in the game. When doing a direct comparison by fitting CS tires to all test subjects and using the power limiter to get PP the same, I found it to be the best. It seems to enjoy leaning over and sliding through the corners, and rotates a heck of a lot better than the others. Its actually fun stock. The closest to having the same feel and fun factor was the Cobra R, but it pushes more than the Mach 1 so a decent entry to mid corner requires some effort. With the Mach 1, its brake, crank the wheel, slide, power out. I give this one sleeper status, not because its fast or anything, but because its fun 👍

Hey Captain Snarker, when are you announcing the next car?

Now I'm late, I do apologize, but it's with good reason. Local crackhead thought that threatening the neighborhood kids was a productive use of our time, I had to step in and point out the error of his logic... or lack of. I'm also currently in the midst of a potential nuclear war between my wife and daughter, because neither seems to be aware of when to be silent and let the little things go. I've also recently upgraded my motherboard, requiring the re-installation of everything and the inherent problems that come with it... so, yay?

Good times.

So, without further delay....

Congratulations Robbks... again! (last week updated to reflect whom actually chose the car)

Sorry about that, had a weekend out in the wilderness.

What I wouldn't give for one of those right about now...

(This) Was one of the first torque-steering JDM pocket rockets I actually drove in real life.
the other being an old '84 Nissan ET Turbo Pulsar.

msg-2-1245025293.jpg

It's the 1997 Toyota Starlet Glanza V!

It's a pity that PD's stock alignment values are so rubbish, the real car has MUCH more lift-off oversteer and is an absolute hoot to drive. I had a quick few laps yesterday around Matterhorn short, but will try and test it tonight or tomorrow and adjust the alignment values to give it the real feel of the car.

I'll let the photo speak for itself, while yet again the jokes write themselves.

Congratulations also go to @Lewis_Hamilton_ for besting @Vic Reign93 by the slimmest of margins, with a victory lap of 1:42.037! Well done, sir! Nico Rosberg (aka Britney) doesn't stand a chance this year! This week's event will be at Tsukuba, though hopefully without the tactical element as pictured above.

Is anyone sure that someone other than Vic or Lewis wins these Time Trial events nowadays? I have to say, perhaps we should set up two types of events; one where Vic and Lewis can duke it out, and other where us mere mortals can battle amongst ourselves. Don't think such would be an offense for the VL duo, because let us face it; since they are from a world apart, why not give them said world? :sly: :lol:

Also, yay, it's the Glanza! Otherwise known, like the Honda Civic Type R FD2, as "JDM car Japan deemed unworthy of sales outside the country itself"... Still, in GT world, we can at least revel in the Glanza's furious turbocharged powerplant and nippy feet. However, it does have a rather fierce rival, who is also a brother of sorts;
autowp.ru_daihatsu_storia_x4_1.jpg

Monster Storia, kenzan (forth)! And I'm looking forward to seeing @Robbks' setup which apparently is more in line with the car's true performance, one can only wonder how different an actual Glanza owner makes his GT6 steed...

Is anyone sure that someone other than Vic or Lewis wins these Time Trial events nowadays? I have to say, perhaps we should set up two types of events; one where Vic and Lewis can duke it out, and other where us mere mortals can battle amongst ourselves. Don't think such would be an offense for the VL duo, because let us face it; since they are from a world apart, why not give them said world.

No replays are saved on the community, so I can only go by the posted results. Then add the fact that several drivers were able to reach 114 mph with the Mach 1, while myself and others could only reach 111 mph. Then add the natural buffer those two get just for having a better ISP than us mere mortals.

As I told Vic on Saturday, I'm starting to dislike this game because when you can race against one another it's never actually a fair race. Our odds of winning anything are actually better in Vegas.

No replays are saved on the community, so I can only go by the posted results. Then add the fact that several drivers were able to reach 114 mph with the Mach 1, while myself and others could only reach 111 mph. Then add the natural buffer those two get just for having a better ISP than us mere mortals.

As I told Vic on Saturday, I'm starting to dislike this game because when you can race against one another it's never actually a fair race. Our odds of winning anything are actually better in Vegas.

Well, blame the so-called "throttle control tip", I suppose. Some were capable of putting it into practice with ease, while people like me had to rely on either better cars in terms of gearboxes (Shelby GT350), or just uber-late braking. Then come other things, like SRF or track experience...

Our dream duels never turn out that great, do they? At best, we can strive for 2nd place, or 3rd if Lewis races with us. The life of a human racer is never easy...

I'm perfectly content with running in a seperate TT with Lewis if it means giving some variety of winners to the normal TT events. :)

Of course anyone could run in our TT if they want a challenge, but we'll be locked out from the main TT event.

Just an idea in throwing out there. ;)

As for the fair race thing, I understand what you mean, I want a fair race as much as you and everyone else.

In another thread on here, it's talking about why the servers are unreliable on the weekend and I noticed that there will be a routine PSN maintenance on the 2nd of March at 5:30 AM GMT according to the Ask PlayStation Twitter account.

Hopefully something good comes of it.

I'm happy to go back to a tyre grade lower again, that can chop away a few seconds per lap.

While we are on the subject of TTs, I had been wondering over the past few weeks whether there would be any interest in doing a tuning allowed CoTW TT, where beaters could be turned into sleepers? If it were regulated for the tuned cars to have the same specs/PP/tyres as the stock version [thus leaving us with suspension and gearing], a comparison of lap times could be made between the two and I think it would add further weight to deciding whether a car really is a beater or a sleeper.

Is anyone sure that someone other than Vic or Lewis wins these Time Trial events nowadays? I have to say, perhaps we should set up two types of events; one where Vic and Lewis can duke it out, and other where us mere mortals can battle amongst ourselves. Don't think such would be an offense for the VL duo, because let us face it; since they are from a world apart, why not give them said world? :sly: :lol:

I really don't know if I should be sad or just disgusted by this... sounds like segregation to me, which is what happens when prejudice takes hold of the masses. My first reaction was "Suck it up buttercup, they're BETTER than you!!! Then came the anger, because you're talking about separating FRIENDS of ours, and ardent supporters of this thread. But after calming down a bit, I decided that maybe a compromise is needed.

Maybe it is time we introduce a tier system, similar to what the WRS has, along with numerous racing communities. This way, everybody stays but gets put into a distinctive division. Gold, Silver and Bronze divisions if I understand correctly. That way, everyone has a possible shot at glory. We have multiple levels of skill here, so why not have multiple levels???

Shy of that, I really don't like the idea of alienating anyone... Vic and Lewis have been and always will be important parts of the COTW. Same goes with everyone else. I'd hate to lose anyone, especially if they took the quoted comments as badly as I initially did. Personally, I take their numbers as goals to try and achieve... benchmarks. If I ever get that good, I'll be beyond happy.

Cheers

I'm happy to go back to a tyre grade lower again, that can chop away a few seconds per lap.

While we are on the subject of TTs, I had been wondering over the past few weeks whether there would be any interest in doing a tuning allowed CoTW TT, where beaters could be turned into sleepers? If it were regulated for the tuned cars to have the same specs/PP/tyres as the stock version [thus leaving us with suspension and gearing], a comparison of lap times could be made between the two and I think it would add further weight to deciding whether a car really is a beater or a sleeper.

I don't like separating anyone from the group, as I'd much prefer to include everyone. What's going on isn't entirely due to skill or lack of, it's due to tech issues that none of us can prevent. I don't want to banish/punish anyone for things outside of their control. I'd rather punish people for succeeding, hence AGS (lol).

While we're discussing it, however, it'll be an excellent time to think about how we'll keep this going for GT Sport, but don't expect that this Spring. Summer seems more likely. Assetto Corsa have already given a release date and a delayed date, yet nothing from PD since last Nov. Tenured players should recognize this chorus.

As for a Tuned event, I'm all for it... except that's yet another task to keep track of, and I'm already overburdened with projects, CotW, and F1 is starting up again. I don't mind the strain, but I seem to remember predicting this would happen a few months ago. I have a sneaking suspicion that a CotW PSN account will be needed, it's credentials shared by more than one person, hereto referred to as "Staff members", or "Crew", or "Intern". @Baron Blitz Red has thankfully helped with providing tracks for the TT event from time to time, but I'd rather not give him another medical issue if I can help it. Lets face it, each of our actual lives and the events of said life are more important than this event/group, but we're also growing, so I think having this discussion now is a pretty good idea.

Perhaps instead of using whatever tyres the COTW comes with, we just use the same set for each car? So if it's a road car, we always use SM tyres, if it's a race car, we always use RH? Just a thought, then all these issues about tyre grades are eased. As for McClaren Design being overburdened, I am happy to help out there, just sing out if you need an extra pair of hands

For the time trials, I'd like to propose a "Simpler Is Better" solution. Continue it the way it is with a single club event, recognize Vic or Lewis for their inevitable overall best time, and then also acknowledge the best effort achieved among us mere mortals. I think it allows a decent resolution while placing minimal additional burden on McClaren and Baron.

For the time trials, I'd like to propose a "Simpler Is Better" solution. Continue it the way it is with a single club event, recognize Vic or Lewis for their inevitable overall best time, and then also acknowledge the best effort achieved among us mere mortals. I think it allows a decent resolution while placing minimal additional burden on McClaren and Baron.

Well I suppose this man has the best possible solution overall, really.

If I may, @Baron Blitz Red, there's no need to get upset or even angry over my own words. When I wrote them, I was merely speaking in jest for the most part. Heck, I don't participate in these events myself, I hardly have the skills to contest against most of the grid on an even basis. Or perhaps I am underestimating myself as a driver, you decide...

In essence, I don't hate Vic and/or Lewis for being that damm good, it's just how they drive day in and day out. For the rest of us, it's practice, practice, and oh look, practice. Even if I was being thoroughly serious with this whole "split" thing, others have already placed good counter-arguments, for example Jack's. The last thing anyone wants is seeing Baron and McClaren spending a day at their local hospital after a physical breakdown from living two very tough lives... Ergo, let the gods stick to their guns, we'll stick to ours and the eternal battle is allowed to continue unharmed. Perhaps one day Vegas's luck shall smile upon us for a change, who knows? ;)

Well I suppose this man has the best possible solution overall, really.

If I may, @Baron Blitz Red, there's no need to get upset or even angry over my own words. When I wrote them, I was merely speaking in jest for the most part. Heck, I don't participate in these events myself, I hardly have the skills to contest against most of the grid on an even basis. Or perhaps I am underestimating myself as a driver, you decide...

In essence, I don't hate Vic and/or Lewis for being that damm good, it's just how they drive day in and day out. For the rest of us, it's practice, practice, and oh look, practice. Even if I was being thoroughly serious with this whole "split" thing, others have already placed good counter-arguments, for example Jack's. The last thing anyone wants is seeing Baron and McClaren spending a day at their local hospital after a physical breakdown from living two very tough lives... Ergo, let the gods stick to their guns, we'll stick to ours and the eternal battle is allowed to continue unharmed. Perhaps one day Vegas's luck shall smile upon us for a change, who knows? ;)

I should've known @Niku Driver HC , I over-reacted and for that, I apologise. I care, sometimes too much... and as previously said, it's really hard picking up on context or the meaning behind the written word as opposed to spoken. Again, I'm sorry.

Cheers

I should've known @Niku Driver HC , I over-reacted and for that, I apologise. I care, sometimes too much... and as previously said, it's really hard picking up on context or the meaning behind the written word as opposed to spoken. Again, I'm sorry.

Cheers

It's ok, we all tend to be overly serious video games at some point in our lives. Just mind one thing; whenever I am being dead serious, I tend to avoid this type of emoticons ":lol:" and just write my opinion as I see fit. Ambiguous languages such as English don't help, granted, but that's why we use emoticons to ensure that jokes look like jokes and serious insight looks like serious insight. Those who can use them correctly, that is...
Even when we speak, sometimes tempers flare suddendly, correct? ;)

As for our Glanza, here's a fun fact I discovered; it was also a minor star in Japanese studio CLAMP's magical ride otherwise known as "Cardcaptor Sakura";
Sakura Starlet.jpg

Yes, there are no "Glanza" decals, and the horrendous rims are far from being accurate, but that's what IMCDB states as this Starlet's name, so we shall go by it. It also makes the Glanza electable for our "Movie Car of the Year" award, so there you go...

The incident between @BaronBlitzRed and @Niku Driver HC is under investigation and will be reviewed at the end of GT6.

The English language is under investigation for inappropriate ambiguity.

For the record, the stabs I take at each of you should be considered light-hearted and in a joking manner, much like an older sibling to the younger. If I cross a line, let me know and I'll issue a public apology. I consider each of you family.

My frustrations are with the tech aspects, not the players (though I frequently voice those as personal, but only for comedic effect). I hold Vic, Lewis, and everyone else in high regard, and the fact that each of you couter-attack my quips speaks to your character. I like to think that the banter between Vic and I, or myself and RM, Baron, et al, adds to competitive environment that we've created and nutured.

I'd be upset if prizes were involed for the Time Trials, but thankfully it's just bragging rights. You all should be commended for coming back to this abuse day after day, or treated for Stockholm Syndrome.

In short, I hate (or am starting to) the game, not the playas. You all make the effort worth the time invested on a daily basis!

As for McClaren Design being overburdened, I am happy to help out there, just sing out if you need an extra pair of hands

Yeah, we'll talk! Or sing. This week is hectic, but expect a PM sometime this week.

You'd have to sign to me if you want my help, MCD. I'm deaf.

There's always the draft, Private! (99% is done in text via messaging on G+ and here, 1% is me just hurling obscenities at a wall.)

Also. MCD under investigation for improper usage of my name. (if RM means me)

Corrected above, Private Joker. No further action will be taken.

Back