Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I've been having a lot of problems too. Baron's trick of disabling the media server connection may have helped a little, but this game is still so awful. I had wondered about the number or cars too, but one of my accounts has only 67 cars and is just as bad.

Some of it may be the router and needing to set up a DMZ. Unfortunately that's above my pay grade.

I think a lot of my problem is my PS3 and internet. I'm figuring there is a corrupt data issue, or a worn out system. I have a brand new PS3 here now, and super speed internet is coming at the end of the month. When those are up and running, I'll know that if I'm having problems at least its not me.

I've been having a lot of problems too. Baron's trick of disabling the media server connection may have helped a little, but this game is still so awful. I had wondered about the number or cars too, but one of my accounts has only 67 cars and is just as bad.

Some of it may be the router and needing to set up a DMZ. Unfortunately that's above my pay grade.

I think a lot of my problem is my PS3 and internet. I'm figuring there is a corrupt data issue, or a worn out system. I have a brand new PS3 here now, and super speed internet is coming at the end of the month. When those are up and running, I'll know that if I'm having problems at least its not me.

Nothing can rescue your connection to the GT servers, I had a smoother experience with GT5P on 17Mb ADSL than I currently do in GT6 with 156Mb Fibre TTP. I suffer from astronomical ping spikes all the time in GT6 only.

Toyota Starlet Glanza V '97
1.3L
132 hp / 6,400 rpm
116 ft-lb / 4,800 rpm
920 kg (2,028 lbs)
368 pp

100+ hp/L is always a huge plus in my book. That tells me the engine is about as efficient as it can possibly get. This Toyota also comes very close to 100 ft-lbs of torque per liter of displacement.

At Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires, it's capable of 1:33 lap times with a maximum speed of around 111 mph in 4th gear.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:33.427 - 367 - Toyota Altezza AS200 '98
1:33.477 - 384 - Volkswagen Bora V6 4Motion '01
1:33.576 - 373 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000GT-R (KPGC10) '70
1:33.615 - 371 - Abarth 500 '09
1:33.651 - 376 - Abarth Grande Punto '09
1:33.687 - 370 - Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73
1:33.721 - 379 - Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81
1:33.806 - 366 - Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twin Spark '02
1:33.849 - 378 - Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800GSR IC Turbo '83
1:33.881 - 365 - Renault Mégane 2.0 IDE Coupé '00
1:33.889 - 353 - Toyota MR2 1600 G '86
1:33.900 - 368 - Toyota Starlet Glanza V '97
1:33.937 - 410 - Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) Race Car '95
1:33.983 - 356 - Mazda Cosmo Sport (L10B) '68
1:34.241 - 364 - Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) '78
1:34.243 - 383 - Citroën Xantia 3.0i V6 Exclusive '00
1:34.249 - 362 - Nissan Silvia Q's (S13) '91
1:34.329 - 375 - Renault Avantime '02
1:34.334 - 361 - Peugeot 206 CC '01
1:34.338 - 357 - Mazda Roadster 1600 NR-A (NB) '04

Other cars with 368 PP:

1:33.243 - 368 - BMW 120i '04
1:33.390 - 368 - Nissan Primera 2.0Te '90

The Peugeot 206 S16 '99 seems to be its best in-game rival, and it is over 6 tenths of a second quicker than the Starlet. It has 5 more hp and 19 more ft-lbs of torque from an engine 700 cc's bigger in size than the Toyota's. This comes with added weight, a whole 160 kg's (353 lbs) of it.

Last edited:
And it is about as quick as the first-gen MR2, which is no mean feat for a hot hatch built on the foundations of a grocery getter. That engine reminds me a lot of what Daihatsu managed with the Storia X4 and the YRV Turbo, although those achievements were a tad bit more impressive than Toyota's (especially the Storia, considering that Daihatsu managed to squeeze 120-plus hp from a 713cc engine, now that is space management). It's just a shame that neither Toyota nor Daihatsu felt that their cars were worthy of non-JDM markets, because potential was something that their cars did not lack.

As for my absence yesterday, blame it on a last-minute grocery trip to purchase some toners for my multifunction printer. By the time I got home, it was a little too late for me to join the fun. Was the connection a bit better than the last times, at least?

Was the connection a bit better than the last times, at least?

The short answer: No

The sad but true answer: It did help with my getting a win at Ascari by eliminating quite a bit of the field. Another joyless win is still just another joyless win.

Sad to think it's taken us this long to build up a great list of people to have great races with, just to see them disappear in micro-seconds from what everybody knew was going to be a great race. Frustrating...

Cheers

The short answer: No

The sad but true answer: It did help with my getting a win at Ascari by eliminating quite a bit of the field. Another joyless win is still just another joyless win.

Sad to think it's taken us this long to build up a great list of people to have great races with, just to see them disappear in micro-seconds from what everybody knew was going to be a great race. Frustrating...

Cheers

Well, guess I was being overly optimistic again, sadly...

Either way, a 👍 for your Ascari victory, and a 👎 for servers that seem to be dying a slow death without taking its protectors into consideration. You are right, seeing a big field of cars erased by connection issues is a frustrating sight...

Well, guess I was being overly optimistic again, sadly...

Either way, a 👍 for your Ascari victory, and a 👎 for servers that seem to be dying a slow death without taking its protectors into consideration. You are right, seeing a big field of cars erased by connection issues is a frustrating sight...

You weren't the only one who was optimistic. :indiff:

And if MC isn't exaggerating, next weeks car is gonna be total rock bottom, it's something he's dreaded since GT5. :scared:

As for the Toyota Starlet...

Hollywood Starlets

The Toyota Starlet Glanza V comes to us with a 1300cc Turbo 4 motor making over 130hp which as mentioned, gives the Starlet over 100hp/L which back then was quite respectable. (modern turbo cars have spoiled us abit on 100+HP/L engines :lol:)

Weighing only 920kg, it got up to 60mph in a factory quoted 8.3 seconds which again is respectable for the time and for young drivers today.

Packing over 60% of the weight over the front axle, the Starlet does understeer when pushed hard, the differential and soft suspension also can compromise handling and tyre grip.

Despite all the server issues, when there was a battle it was usually a close one. 👍

I wouldn't call the Starlet terrible as its a good tuning base, but it didn't really standout either.

So for me, it's a Neutral verdict. :)

This week I tested this as well as some similar cars at Midfield to see how they matched up, with the intention of using one of those during our races for comparison. The 97 Mitsubishi Mirage, 95 Honda Civic, and sister to the Glanza 98 Corolla Levin were all faster, lapping Midfield in the 1:31 bracket, while the Glanza could only get high 1:33's. Trying to catch the Levin ghost and watching it disappear rapidly made it clear to me this is a beater. But like Vic said, its a good tuning base and is actually quite delightful with some mods. So I'll go with neutral too.

...And if MC isn't exaggerating, next weeks car is gonna be total rock bottom, it's something he's dreaded since GT5.

I've put this off long enough, let's get this over with. I'd also keep a trashcan nearby, in case of vomiting.

Helmet anyone? But with a bit more wacka wacka whah wow! Speaking of butt...um, wait a minute.

Oh yeah, this isn't the music thread. Glanza!

Congratulations turismoslayer!

Okay, I hate this car almost with a passion. Never liked it when it came out and probably never will. The thought that production was extended an extra year due to popular demand boggles my mind. Silly Americans. For reasons unknown and I hate to say it, I think there just may be something to this thing they call the ...

60816f1_mccartney_h_b_gr_01-L.jpg

It's the 2000 Chrysler PT Cruiser (omg, I just threw up a little)!

I asked some of the mods if we could ban turismoslayer for this choice, but apparently poor taste isn't against the AUP. I'm still lobbying, though.

Lol! Chrysler was calling.

Precisely why I have caller ID!

The car that tried to kill a Beatle.

Congrats to @Vic Reign93 for the 1:10.478 at Tsukuba, this week's event is at Madrid. Because groceries.

Well @turismoslayer , I'd say you have one of, if not the most interesting ways of selecting a COTW. You said you hate it, but still have us try it out. Things that make you go Hmmmm...

@McClarenDesign , with your hint of killing a Beatle, I went to one of my books to remind myself of how Paul McCartney died... which was why I guessed the Mini Cooper after we left the Twitch discussion.

Cheers

Confession time: First time I ever played GT3, I picked the PT Criuser as my starter car. :scared:

But I can argue that I was too young to know better back then. :lol:

Given the circumstances, this video seems somewhat relevant in more ways than one. :sly:

Any other version other than the 2.4 Turbo model has no good qualities at all.

Courtesy of @MidFieldMaven times at Midfield, the 09' Toyota Prius is over a second quicker on the same tyres. :crazy:

@McClarenDesign your Fiat Coupe Turbo might be safe from a certain 'Honour' depending on what the PT Cruiser does on race night. :D

I know, I know. Definitely the response I was expecting but in a non sinister sort of way. Yes the turbo variant would have been nice but then we'd be driving the SRT Neon, right? I wouldn't go calling the SRT Neon a sleeper unless it was just a regular Neon which led me to my choice. Although the SRT could very well end up a beater too in its own right. Like I said before, maybe there is something to the PT that might be good. My expectations are low. Cheers!

This car is.......a car....

I'm sorry, there's just not a single interesting or clever thing I can come up with for this. I can only drive so many thoroughly average and unremarkable front wheel-drive hatchbacks before I run out of funny and witty analogies. The Starla isn't horrifically bad, it just doesn't do anything that stands out well or make it memorable. It's bound for the furthest depths of "Beaters I'll Never Drive Again" section of my garage.

With it out of the way now, I can thankfully look forward to this week's selection. Maybe it'll be a lightweight roadster or a luxury sedan, surely something other than yet another front-wheel drive hatchback.

...................................I hate you people sometimes.

Obelisk's reviews
Week ???: Chrysler PT Cruiser '00
=

"Oh, dear God. The idiot's back." is the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the guy coming my way. He spent three weeks in prison for that debacle at Imola. Anyways, what does he want?

A new car this week, that isn't on illegal plates?

Sure thing... Oh, he's gesturing to one behind me.

I turned around to look, and oh motherf-

A 2000 PT Cruiser.

God, I hate you and your friends, dude.

Well, let's get this crapsack machine out of the way. This week's event is at Madrid, and it's a ten minute time trial. That gives me about four solid laps I can work with. The event itself went pretty well, with a 1:55 overall laptime. Now, performance numbers escape me right now, but it's nimble for a big thing. I noticed that it favors left-foot braking and lifting off the throttle. The oversteer there is beneficial for those twisty Spanish circuits.

So now I decided to see how hard it was to race, so I flew it back to Daytona. A modest group of family cars, with a BR-Z and MR2 at the front. The best I could yield was a third place finish, thanks to the meager top speed of the stock car.

Then I had an idea. I gave the RUF grandma a call and asked if she would race a PT Cruiser. She happily agreed, and I got to work on it. I brought it up to 366 HP and 1035 kilograms, which is impressive in itself. I sent her out to High Speed Ring with it against supercars to see how she and the car fared. She
took it to a pretty impressive 7th place finish in a pack of 12 cars.

That said, it's the ugliest thing to happen to me since meeting Mr. McClaren.

The ugliness plays out, though, so I'm naming this car a Sleeper.

Note: lol sorry for the harsh jab MCD.

Last edited:
....I want the Starlet back. I don't care if it doesn't shout its credentials out, at least I know it has good ones. Where's my time machine? Mcclaren, you're American, buy me a Delorean. Actually, go back in time, switch places with slayer and make the DMC-12 this week's COTW. Anything, anything but this hearse, have mercy... I'll drive an Aztek, weight loss through vomiting can be useful. I'll even race until midnight if I have to, please!

Sigh... there is no choice, is there? Fine, time to experience Chrysler's worst joke since Corinthian Leather, it can't be helped.

This car is actually kind of cool with the 2.4L turbo engine, producing 215-230 hp depending on the year, and 245 ft-lbs of torque.

More info here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2003-chrysler-pt-turbo-first-drive-review

I know, I know. Definitely the response I was expecting but in a non sinister sort of way. Yes the turbo variant would have been nice but then we'd be driving the SRT Neon, right? I wouldn't go calling the SRT Neon a sleeper unless it was just a regular Neon which led me to my choice. Although the SRT could very well end up a beater too in its own right. Like I said before, maybe there is something to the PT that might be good. My expectations are low. Cheers!

If only, Maven, if only... To be fair, while the Turbo may be a tad less differentiated due to its SRT Neon roots, it would make for a better drive. Nothing against you slayer, but the Neon did impress when I drove it, even if the FF drivetrain was rather good at smoke creating through corners. It may shout its credentials out, but it did make for a rather good match against FF legends such as the Honda Integra. It is not better to drive than them mind you, but it did do a good job for a souped-up Neon.

Let's not forget about our old "friend"; the Vibe... Between the mild Toyota variant and Pontiac's GT, who won out? :sly:

"Oh, dear God. Well, let's get this Geography Lesson out of the way. This week's event is at Madrid, and it's a ten minute time trial. That gives me about four solid laps I can work with. The event itself went pretty well, with a 1:55 overall laptime. Now, performance numbers escape me right now, but it's nimble for a big thing. I noticed that it favors left-foot braking and lifting off the throttle. The oversteer there is beneficial for those twisty Spanish circuits.

You know there's this new fangled invention that's making all the news lately... it's called a map. And what's really neat, is when you put a world map on a ball, they're actually calling it a globe nowadays. Oh how technology has changed our lives in the oh so recent history of our planet... :banghead:

Just thought you should know. ;)

Cheers

You know there's this new fangled invention that's making all the news lately... it's called a map. And what's really neat, is when you put a world map on a ball, they're actually calling it a globe nowadays. Oh how technology has changed our lives in the oh so recent history of our planet... :banghead:

Just thought you should know. ;)

Cheers
Oops. memory fail

Fixed it.

Too soon to make a definite verdict, but this thing is surprising. So far Ive won the IA championship race at Brands Hatch, International Circuit Tour at Ascari, and the 10 lap Ascari challenge. Those 10 laps would have been a lot easier with traction control turned on since it burns off the front tires pretty fast at 366hp.

No offense taken @Niku Driver HC. My hopes with the PT are to find something good that no one would expect, even though I don't like it. Performance wise, or lack there of, is what I'd expect. But it's better than that of the dreaded Voltz. I'm going for the under dog here, cheering for the awkward kid playing little league sports. We'll see if my optimism lasts the entire week.

Too soon to make a definite verdict, but this thing is surprising. So far Ive won the IA championship race at Brands Hatch, International Circuit Tour at Ascari, and the 10 lap Ascari challenge. Those 10 laps would have been a lot easier with traction control turned on since it burns off the front tires pretty fast at 366hp.

I'm actually surprised with it as well. I hate FF vehicles with a passion, both in real life and my virtual life... but I'll be damned, it's shockingly fun. My prejudice towards this thing had my expections kind of like a limbo dance competition... "How low can you go?!?", but it's already dug itself out of the grave I've always put it in. We'll see on race days just how well it does in the long run.

Cheers

No offense taken @Niku Driver HC. My hopes with the PT are to find something good that no one would expect, even though I don't like it. Performance wise, or lack there of, is what I'd expect. But it's better than that of the dreaded Voltz. I'm going for the under dog here, cheering for the awkward kid playing little league sports. We'll see if my optimism lasts the entire week.

Well, so far, the response to the awkward kid has been rather surprising, on the good side of things at that. Perhaps this underwhelming-looking baseball player can hit an unexpected homerun, but I have to drive it myself to be sure... Can it be fun? Can it make up for its looks? The PT is treading across a dangerous minefield...

Well, so far, the response to the awkward kid has been rather surprising, on the good side of things at that. Perhaps this underwhelming-looking baseball player can hit an unexpected homerun, but I have to drive it myself to be sure... Can it be fun? Can it make up for its looks? The PT is treading across a dangerous minefield...

If it pulls off the mother of all comebacks, then I'll happily admit I was wrong. :D

The Fiat set the bar low, the Prelude dug a small trench and set the bar there, So already it's making a good impression. :lol:

Of course I've yet to drive it and that'll be the PT Criuser's acid test, can the PT avoid being christened " The PoTus" ( it's not what you think it means and I'll explain what it stands for on race night. :sly:) and become an underdog Sleeper?

Watch this thread. ;)

Back