Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Well, beating a Viper while using about 250 horsepower is sleeper material, that's for sure. Defeating our former COTW contender, which uses a twin-turbocharged V8 engine, is even more impressive once you put the RX500's specs into play. The gearbox seems to be far too long in terms of gear ratios, the handling shifts between nose-heaviness and sudden sliding under power and back, and yet the 1.0-litre RX-500 matches cars far more modern in terms of lap times...

This car is a real Wankel of a mistery, isn't it? And yet, it isn't as terrible as other contemporary sports cars in the game. You have picked quite the condrum to solve, Baron...

You have picked quite the conundrum to solve, Baron...

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Excellent!

Cheers

Well, first impressions after the first COTW meet up...
1. Torque isn't great. Which is to be expected from a rotary, especially one that hasn't been as refined yet as an RX7 or RX8.

2. Handling is relatively on point. I had a great little duel with todally_lit at Cape Ring South during the practise, and it was able to hold its ground without major issues, both on defense and offense.

3. It can sure as hell drift!!! Aye @Vic Reign93 :D Expect pics of those sideways antics soon!

4. It sounds terrible. Like, reeeallly bad. No sexy brap-brap-brap coming from this rotary!

5. What's up with those yellow lights that only come on when you're moving? Seriously Mazda, why??? Maybe it's just my ADHD kicking in, but that really bugged me XD

So, mixed feelings about this car. It is very popular in online lobbies, but is it worth $500,000? Personally I'd rather put that sort of money into a Mercedes SLS GT3 and spend the change on some racing soft rubber. Perfect!

5. What's up with those yellow lights that only come on when you're moving? Seriously Mazda, why??? Maybe it's just my ADHD kicking in, but that really bugged me XD

Funny you should ask that, Nismo... A quick Google search is mine and your best friend;

Japanese Nostalgic Car blog says:
By the way, those funky tail lights had an extra feature too…when you were accelerating green lights at the top would be lit up, when you were cruising, the yellow lights would come on, and the red brake lights would come on progressively depending on how hard you were braking!

So apparently, the car is constantly cruising according to PD, which is odd when you are clearly hammering this thing around the track... Where are the green lights? I somehow wasn't paying attention to the brake lights during the periods when the chase cam was being used while driving yesterday, so I need to look at this matter more thoroughly. All in all, it was just a very concept-y design decision on Mazda's part, which is the answer you are probably looking for in the first place. ;)

Oh, and it costs 500,000 credits (not dollars, more along the lines of Kazollars or something along those ridiculous lines) mainly due to the car's exclusivity (only one in the world, daddy-o!) as well as its age and concept car status. One should not look to the RX-500 as a racing car, because then it will look gravely out-of-place against cars on the same price range. At best, it's a road-legal car that can be used for 500PP racing with a few minor tweaks...

Well, first impressions after the first COTW meet up...
1. Torque isn't great. Which is to be expected from a rotary, especially one that hasn't been as refined yet as an RX7 or RX8.

2. Handling is relatively on point. I had a great little duel with todally_lit at Cape Ring South during the practise, and it was able to hold its ground without major issues, both on defense and offense.

3. It can sure as hell drift!!! Aye @Vic Reign93 :D Expect pics of those sideways antics soon!

4. It sounds terrible. Like, reeeallly bad. No sexy brap-brap-brap coming from this rotary!

So, mixed feelings about this car. It is very popular in online lobbies, but is it worth $500,000? Personally I'd rather put that sort of money into a Mercedes SLS GT3 and spend the change on some racing soft rubber. Perfect!

The RX500 is a sports exhaust away from solving the sound problem. :D

It's expensive to get if you're spending more than you're making, but for what it's capable of its more than worth its price tag.

Something was bugging me though, I noticed that the rev counter went much higher than what the engine in game is capable of doing and some reasearch later I found out why, the real life car has a single rotor instead of a twin rotor engine. :eek:

Some sites say it has the 982cc Two Rotor we got, But other websites, including MazdaMotors.com say it's a 491cc single rotor that was 14k Rpm capable that made the same claimed HP as the twin rotor. :drool:

So I dug deeper and found this video from over a year ago at GoodWood.

So unless that car went from a two rotor to a single rotor when it's was being restored ( for whatever reason :confused:), the car we have here is not like the actual model in reality. :eek:

Does that change what I think of the RX500? no it doesn't as it's still a brilliant car even on comfort tyres. :)

But it does show that it could have been even better if it was the 14k rpm engine instead. :ouch:

Verdict: Sleeper ;)👍

Now on to the Lotus Esprit '02.

Just go read my review on the '98 GT Esprit if you want to know what I think of it. :lol:

Next!! :sly:

The Isuzu Bellet GT-R was once described as the Japanese Ford Lotus Cortina which given the Cortinas history is high praise indeed, but it's easy to see why.

The Cortina weighed just over 900kg and had around 110hp from a 1600cc 4 pot motor, where as the Bellet GTR (It was the second GT-R, the first Skyline GT-R beat it by 6 months. :D) weighed 970kg and had just under 120hp also from a 1600cc 4 pot motor. :)

Both had 4 speed gearboxes, but the Cortina had a stated top speed of 104mph compared to the Bellet's stated top speed of 118mph. :bowdown:

So far so good, the Bellet handles great despite an open diff that could smoke the inside tyre in tight turns and can be chucked around and it's just overall a blast to drive. ;)

Even though the Ford Lotus Cortina isn't in the GT franchise, I'll stick my neck out and say that the Isuzu Bellet GT-R is the next best thing to the Cortina.

Verdict: Sleeper. ;)👍

So I dug deeper and found this video from over a year ago at GoodWood.

So unless that car went from a two rotor to a single rotor when it's was being restored ( for whatever reason :confused:), the car we have here is not like the actual model in reality. :eek:

I should have known the ingame rev counter was too short for what I had read about the engine, the PD inaccuracy bug strikes again! And the worst part is that said bug does not make the car cheat for the better, it just gimps what the car could be capable of... My knowledge of Japanese is limited, but I might have to look deeper into this matter; it is known that the Hiroshima City Transport Museum was responsible for the car's restoration. And, according to this Japanese link, the engine unit is a twin-rotor engine "like the Cosmo" (from what I can deduct within a poor Google translation). Perhaps the old high-revving unit was worn out beyond repair, prompting the Museum to source a newer, two-rotor engine and smack it into the 500's engine bay.

If this is the case, then PD did not cheat. But unfortunately, once again, it doesn't make the car better by making it more accurate... It's a shame, really.

Early edit: Perhaps this Youtube video, which shows the engine without a hood in the way, can solve this condrum:

Last edited:
With all this going on about the engine, it's a wonder PD didn't make two RX500s, one with the twin rotor and one with the single rotor.. it would make sense, since they love making tons of varieties of other cars, like 3000GTs, NSXs, and Skylines, why should the RX500 be any different?

With all this going on about the engine, it's a wonder PD didn't make two RX500s, one with the twin rotor and one with the single rotor.. it would make sense, since they love making tons of varieties of other cars, like 3000GTs, NSXs, and Skylines, why should the RX500 be any different?

Well as was already said, the car was restored (back in 2008) and whilst it's possible the engine could've been replaced with a 2 rotor then, it just wouldn't make sense.

I mean why restore the whole car and not the engine? It just strikes of laziness and given the history of the RX500 they wouldn't have done that.

Now as to why PD didn't do two RX500's for GT6 IF this info was known to them, I don't have a clue, but as a long time fan of GT I'd say consistency (or rather lack of) is definitely a trait known for GT either in sounds or factory settings for cars.

Two recent examples that come to mind are the '13 Ford Focus ST's ultra long 5th gear which is not in the real car ( something we touched on when we drove it. ) and the '91 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-S sounding like a V8 on the stock exhaust (even though it's a 2.5 N/A 6 cylinder engine. :crazy:).

But it's fun to note that my curiosity for finding out why the Rev counter went up to near 15k rpm lead me to find this cars whole engine history. :D

Threw the car around at the Deep Forest reverse seasonal. Actually really like this car when I'm not over driving it which gave me a fairly easy win once I got a good rhythm. Was in 1st place halfway in to the 4th lap. I'm giving it a sleeper status because reasons.

Textbook example of a lag spike making life difficult. Meet Ted Thomas, the bain of Gran Turismo.
Ah Ted Thomas, A tragic tale that. :D

We do honor him every year with an award for 'Most Improved Driver', but I do sometimes question why we still do given his saboteur tendencies against us. :dunce:

Due to mega-rendering (Power Director 13- 48500 max, Power Director 14- 60k max) It'll be around 10p CST before I'm able to announce this week's winner and the selected car. Sorry about the delay.

I'll also be racing tonight because I have 1 vid with the RX500, so if you can, join me on or around that time.

Due to impending thunderstorms, better make that 11:30p CST, just in case.

Last edited:
Sorry about the wait, and about missing Saturday. I hadn't intended on sleeping, but after experiencing the disappointment of Monza for a second time, the psyche could take no more.

On with the show...

The rx500 is definitely a sleeper

Congratulations Marc30599! Observant observation obviously obliterated opinion. Encore?

Omg McCLaren, I love chicken and I'm honored to be selecting next week's car!

That's what the ladies said...

...this is beater or sleeper, right?

Does it look like "GT6 Duel of the Week" can afford Kentucky Fried Chicken? Now enough of the @Lewis_Hamilton_ tactics, quit stalling! (Too soon? #AssieGP #BahrainGP)

hqdefault.jpg

It's the 2002 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V・spec II Nür (R34)!!!

(whistles innocently, fading to darkness, sound of a closing door)

Last week- @Vic Reign93 1:35.596 - This week, your butt and the R34 COLLIDE! Suzuka, Suzuka, Suzukaaaa! Gate open at 10p CST, be sure to catch the opening feats of Bigfoot vs. Godzilla! Tickets are $25 this week, $45 at the door, but you will only need the EDGE!

Last edited:
Here is a little trivia : The Bay Side Blue paint in GT6 has been swapped by PD with another Blue color from another car, the original correct Bay Side Blue is not used for the premium R34 GTR.

GT5 premium R34 GTR Bay Side Blue is accurate, the picture above is not Bay Side Blue :) I'll check my GT6 again from which car is the correct Bay Side Blue ( I think one of the standard R34 GTR )

If anyone interested driving OEM setup R34 GTR ( corrected stock spring rate, corrected weight/distribution, Nissan alignment etc ), check my garage, it's built to replicate real life Best Motoring lap record at Tsukuba, 1:04s on CS tire.

Back