Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Thread title announces that its the V-Spec, but the announcement post says its the M-Spec. But seeing as how the former is a Premium that was lovingly and painstakingly crafted by a modeler working to get every detail just right while the latter is a GT4 port-over standard that was likely thrown together last thing on a Friday afternoon, no question which version I'm going with this week.

Okay, the correct Bay Side Blue in gt6 is from standard R34 GTR '99, it's the same as Bay Side Blue in GT5 R34 GTR premium.

Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A)_9.jpg

Ah, a car I haven't tested! It'll be nice to compare this car with the M-Spec Nur version.

You haven't tested all GT-Rs? Maven, you heretic, don't you know what Kaz does to people like you? He could force you to purchase a Honda Fit and lock you inside said Honda! Your own safety is at risk! :crazy:

Joke aside, shame that your psych wasn't on edge Saturday, MC. I was looking forward to drive the RX-500 in proper racing pace, just to see how well I had tamed it during the week... Sunday had no open space on my agenda for COTW racing, so I couldn't attend that session. Hopefully you are feeling better now, no one wants to see the boss having a bad time in terms of hapiness.

As for the R34, well, what else can be said about it that hasn't been said already? It doesn't really look like a sleeper, and it's somewhat limited in terms of top speed (although not in the game, I assume). Handles quite well, even if PD has apparently failed to capture the car's real essence (according to Ridox one page back), and there's enough power on tap at all times. Is it bad? Far from it! It has the EDGE required to be a sports car, if anything...

Had a go at the TT at Suzuka. So far the car is doing good, so we'll have to see how it does in the real test.

Speaking of real, I have found what may arguably be deemed as a GT-R version of El Dorado; a wonderful R34 with the same specs as our own! And what makes it an El Dorado GT-R, you ask?

gtr-r34-v-spec-ii-nur-sale.jpg

http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/91-gtr-r34-v-spec-ii-nur-sale.html

Well, how about the minor part that states that the car is 100% full stock, free of any tuning mods? Indeed, no joke here gentlemen, this car is pure in spirit, just like a fairy's. But it also stings like a horde of African Assassin Bees...

You haven't tested all GT-Rs? Maven, you heretic, don't you know what Kaz does to people like you? He could force you to purchase a Honda Fit and lock you inside said Honda! Your own safety is at risk! :crazy:

Joke aside, shame that your psych wasn't on edge Saturday, MC. I was looking forward to drive the RX-500 in proper racing pace, just to see how well I had tamed it during the week... Sunday had no open space on my agenda for COTW racing, so I couldn't attend that session. Hopefully you are feeling better now, no one wants to see the boss having a bad time in terms of hapiness.

As for the R34, well, what else can be said about it that hasn't been said already? It doesn't really look like a sleeper, and it's somewhat limited in terms of top speed (although not in the game, I assume). Handles quite well, even if PD has apparently failed to capture the car's real essence (according to Ridox one page back), and there's enough power on tap at all times. Is it bad? Far from it! It has the EDGE required to be a sports car, if anything...

Try this Niku if you have time :) You can use sports tire, install power upgrades etc but try to keep the essential setup to reflect the real car if possible ( keep suspension and weight/distribution, use stock LSD or 1.5 way replica tune if you wish ) :P

Nissan BNR34 Skyline GTR VSpec Gr N LM Mag / Nur '02
Tsukuba Best Motoring Lap Record

Tuned to replicate R34 GTR Vspec
Comfort Soft

CAR : Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec II Nur (R34) '02
Tire : Comfort Soft

Specs 350HP Nur RB26DETT Base Dyno Power
Horsepower: 350 HP / 355 PS at 6400 RPM
Torque: 370.5 ft-lb at 4500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 97.3%
Weight: 1560 kg
Ballast : 172 kg
Ballast Position : -29
Weight Distribution : 57 / 43 - used real life 57 / 43
Performance Points: 479

Specs N1 RB26DETT Dyno Power
Horsepower: 345 HP / 350 PS at 7500 RPM
Torque: 356.7 ft-lb at 4500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 99.7%
Performance Points: 476

Specs GT6 Stock
Horsepower: 336 HP / 341 PS at 7500 RPM
Torque: 346.3 ft-lb at 4500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Performance Points: 472

GT AUTO
NO Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( NOT INSTALLED )
Wheels : Standard Size Stock or RAYS TE37SL in White
Car Paint : Cyberia Blue, Champion Blue, Bay Side Blue or Gran Turismo Blau

Tuning Parts Installed :
Intake Tuning -ONLY FOR 350HP
Isometric Exhaust Manifold -ONLY FOR 345HP
Adjustable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension
Weight Reduction Stage 1

Suspension - Nissan OEM Springs/Damper
Base Street/Track Alignment

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 130 130
Spring Rate: 4.07 5.09
Dampers (Compression): 4 3
Dampers (Extension): 6 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 2
Camber Angle: 0.8 1.2 ( Camber range Front 0.8 +- 0.75, Rear 1.2 +- 0.5 )
Toe Angle: 0.12 0.25 ( Toe In Front Range 0.12 +- 0.06, Toe In Rear 0.25, Range 0.00 to Max 0.25 )

LSD NISSAN A-LSD Base 2 Way - Base
Front
Initial Torque : 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 5
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Rear
Initial Torque : 14
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36
Braking Sensitivity: 30

LSD NISSAN A-LSD Base 1.5 Way - Optional
Front
Initial Torque : 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 5

Rear
Initial Torque : 14
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36

AERO
Rear = 30 ( MINIMUM )

Brake Balance:
5/4 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 4/3, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 6/5 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :

This is a simple replica build of a stock BNR34 GTR Vspec, particularly the N1 and Nur Edition R34 with the best evolution of RB26DETT engine capable of 350+PS in stock trim. The Vspec is the top of the range R34 GTR, in real life R34 GTR Vspec N1 and Nur has been dynoed with reports of around 345HP to 350HP ( 355 PS ) at the engine. I have included 3 spec, 350HP Nur, 345HP N1 ( Gr N ) and 336HP stock GT6.

The Vspec suspension spring rates of the real car 4.00 kg/mm front and 5.00 kg/mm rear. The spring rate can't be set in GT6, but can be very close, and I used the ratio as well, with damper and ARB tuned for neutral balance. The stock factory alignment has been used for the base suspension.

The car weight is 1560kg, with weight distribution using real life spec at 57/43, and both has been replicated. This should give the close to neutral balance of the real car and oversteer when pushed hard.

LSD is set in 2 way this time, with setup giving good amount of lock and low preload. An alternate LSD with 1.5 way arrangement also provided, the 1.5 way will give much more freedom in turn in under braking.

Tire base set is comfort soft with aim to set performance against real life Tsukuba lap record which is 1:04.57 driven by Keiichi Tsuchiya on a R34 GTR Vspec Nissan test car with LM mag wheel, race brake pad, some track tweaks and N1 spec engine which very likely have 350+PS.

In GT6, the time can achieved with comfort soft tire with near perfect lap just like the real life 1:04.57 lap did, perfection at the limit. While the factory stock R34 GTR Vpsec lap record is 1:05.32 driven The Professor Nakaya Akihiko, this can be achieved in GT6 with 336HP stock power.

The R34 was mainly tested and tuned at Tsukuba and Bathurst. The replay of the lap at 1:04s has been included, the lap was done with 350HP spec to match the real lap acceleration/speed/RPM at braking entry and exit. Suspension uses base set and 2 way LSD.

Try this Niku if you have time :) You can use sports tire, install power upgrades etc but try to keep the essential setup to reflect the real car if possible ( keep suspension and weight/distribution, use stock LSD or 1.5 way replica tune if you wish ) :P

Don't worry, I will give it a try if I can at a later time. Just one question; is your setup specially directed at Tsukuba, or is it usable on any other given track? Just asking out of curiosity, that's all. ;)

Don't worry, I will give it a try if I can at a later time. Just one question; is your setup specially directed at Tsukuba, or is it usable on any other given track? Just asking out of curiosity, that's all. ;)

It was tested at various tracks, Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Apricot Hill, Midfield, etc. The picture that I posted above is when the R34 driven at Gran Turismo Arena Layout A, it did 31s lap on CS :) The car should be okay on sports tires, you can use stock LSD or 1.5 way option if you feel the base LSD is too aggressive :)

The Tsukuba is the lap record used as reference to be more closer to the real car performance limit. Keiichi Tsuchiya drove 1:04.5xx lap at Tsukuba, this can be done offline time trial, I did 1:04.1xxx, online with tire wear should be more accurate. I used video onboard cam as reference, driving in similar pace. ( the CS tire and specs give close performance in braking point, corner speed, gear shift, etc at Tsukuba )

Last edited:
Since I did choose the car (which is my fav Nissan GTR by the way:P:)) it's only right that I test it out too:):sly:... I tested it out at 550-560PP with 550 something HP
Here's my best lap at Suzuka Circuit :)
Best time of 2:10:XXX

Pics from the photo shoot:sly: (Need to add other pics that didn't make it to my flash drive lol)
image.jpg

Thread title announces that its the V-Spec, but the announcement post says its the M-Spec.
I wanted it to be the V-Spec II Nür :lol:;)

Last edited:
Uh, yeah. Where have you been?
Right.. I missed all the "do one lap and get the VGT car free!" events cos I had no GT6, no Ps3, no money, and was left running around in Gt4. Now that I got Gt6 I got the outrageous VGTs (all Tomahawks, Chaparral, Alpine Race Mode, and Mercedes), but can't justify spending a million bucks a pop just to play catchup, I wouldn't really use them all that frequently.. I don't think.. how often do you guys use your VGT cars?

If memory serves me correctly, I don't remember that one. I think I might have missed that week. See? Memory like a steel trap.

It was a long time ago when the Aston DP-100 and Nissan 2020 first came out back in week 29.

Right.. I missed all the "do one lap and get the VGT car free!" events cos I had no GT6, no Ps3, no money, and was left running around in Gt4. Now that I got Gt6 I got the outrageous VGTs (all Tomahawks, Chaparral, Alpine Race Mode, and Mercedes), but can't justify spending a million bucks a pop just to play catchup, I wouldn't really use them all that frequently.. I don't think.. how often do you guys use your VGT cars?

I hardly bring them out much to mess around with but they are more of a collectors item then something you race or drive around with. The VGT car I used to most was the Aston Martin DP-100.

So the R34, what is there to say?

A car that has welded its place into automotive culture through movies, the tuning industry and especially in games.

Debuting in 1999, the R34 took over the mantle from the R33 as THE car for the PlayStation generation.

Packing the same 2.6 Twin Turbo 6 cylinder engine as the R33 and R32, it was further refined to make the most of the Japanese Gentlemans Agreement which limited HP to less than 280hp.

Known to be a great base for tuners with its tough, but rev happy engine, the R34 remains a fierce contender in the world of performance tuning.

If you need an ultimate example of a very good tuned R34, allow me to present to you..

The Mines tuned R34. :bowdown:

Of course, the R34 wasn't flawless, compared to its main rivals of the time, the Evo, Impreza and NSX it was a porker by comparison at 1560kg. :crazy:

We've driven a mildly tuned version in the past in the form of the pace car so it'll be interesting to see how the last model year of the R34 stacks up against it. 👍

The R34 GT-R V-spec II Nur. Long name isn't it. People who have seen the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious just need to know the R34 part, since those people dream of owning one. Fanboys aside, the R34 has been around since GT2, but the V-spec Nur has been around since GT4. The car has an interesting character, with those intimidating headlights, smoothed out boxy side profile, and those signature four tailights for your opponents to stare at.

cgcZDKaYXhd4zAoPL9_0.jpg

Since we're on the topic of looks, the car certainly has them. Not as good looking as the R32 in my opinion, but good enough for an early '00s sports car. Another opinion of mine is the rims, which I think bring down the looks a minor amount. Then you have that thing on the hood that I have no idea what the use of it is. On the outside, it looks like a regular Skyline, and the same is for the interior. Things change drastically under the hood though.....

Power, moar power. Under the hood one can find a neat six-cylinder producing just over 330 horses, apart from the 276 HP that the dealership says. It's a bit of a hefty one too, weighing in at over 1,500 kg, but the RB26DET helps it overcome the weight.

On to the track test. It ain't a Nur without the Nürburgring, so that's the venue with this one. At Suzuka, the car was quite stable with the not so bad understeer, but on the Nürb if was a different car.

mJ87InOjyvV4sRrolp_0.jpg

The Skyline tackled the first few corners like a running back getting a 60 yard touchdown, and had a steady flow throuout the sector. On Flugplatz, it wasn't quite fast enough to get any air, but that doesn't matter, since catching air on that part is quite dangerous.

1zDqWEKPuxyoHxnyRH_0.jpg

The next obstacle was Adaneuer Frost, one of my weakest point in thus track. Fortunately, this car plowed right through it with no errors. It has the brakes to slow way down when needed, which is exactly what is needed here. No loss of grip was present as well, even if it is not RWD.

jyqmPCqTX7aouhvT4K_0.jpg

Skipping ahead a few miles, we come to the Carousel, a signature part of the 'Ring. I for one am not a professional on this corner, in fact I usually take the outside part. The Skyline however is able to take this corner safely and fast. Then it's on to my favorite part of the course.....

bsSzILqkuhdoopyyDD_0.jpg

Ah yes, the final miles of the track. A place filled with sweeping curves, constant elevation change, and that long straight right before the end. Once again this car tackled this part with no problems whatsoever, although in the picture above I had to brake heavily to avoid that gravel trap, but other than that there was no issue to be heard of.

3HtTqkFui4jngI7DS_0.jpg

So the verdict. To a muscle car fanatic, this is a beater because it's an import. To a lot of others it's neither because they think it's so good. In my opinion, this is barely a sleeper because it has sports car attitude, yet can face up against the toughest kids on the block. Of course, let's not forget this guy:

CVFk38zVAAA0tbW.jpg

Will you be hosting anymore races this week McLaren?

There is usually a Saturday lobby as well, unless some last-minute commitment comes along for McClaren, at the same times as the Wednesday races.

And I hope this week does have a Saturday night of racing as well, if the Wednesday races are anything to go by, because that was some incredible wheel-to-wheel action. A bit rough around the edges sometimes (but that's to be expected when you can't really guess who will you race against in these lobbies), but great racing nonetheless.

Nissan Skyline GT-R V•Spec II Nür (R34) '02
2.6L
336 hp / 7,500 rpm
346 ft-lbs / 4,500 rpm
1,560 kg (3,439 lbs)
472 PP

Nissan Skyline GT-R M•spec Nür (R34) '02

2.6L
335 hp / 6,800 rpm
350 ft-lb / 4,400 rpm
1,580 kg (3,483 lbs)
475 pp

The "V" makes 1 more horsepower than the "M" but peaks at much higher rpm. It also makes 4 ft-lbs of torque less and is lighter by 20 kg (44 lbs.)

End result is that they're pretty much equal on this track, though I was a few tenths quicker in the M.

No video for the V right now, but the M is close enough.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:22.233 - 509 - Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02
1:22.260 - 469 - BMW Z4 M Coupé '08
1:22.288 - 477 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) Touring Car '04
1:22.292 - 484 - Jaguar XKR R Performance '02
1:22.374 - 471 - Honda Integra Type R Touring Car
1:22.386 - 470 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C (Type-II) '04
1:22.521 - 459 - Mazda RX-7 Type RS (FD) '98
1:22.529 - 454 - Honda NSX Type S Zero '99
1:22.544 - 447 - Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type-II) '01
1:22.664 - 471 - Subaru S206 NBR Challenge Package '12
1:22.673 - 499 - Mercedes Benz C 63 AMG '08
1:22.687 - 475 - Tommykaira ZZ-S '00
1:22.710 - 478 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII RS '03
1:22.732 - 475 - Nissan Skyline GT-R M•spec Nür (R34) '02
1:22.783 - 490 - SRT Challenger SRT8 '08
1:22.822 - 467 - Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport (C4) '96
1:22.858 - 447 - Acura NSX '04
1:22.931 - 498 - SRT Charger SRT8 '11
1:22.941 - 460 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Spec C Type RA '05
1:22.962 - 468 - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) '99
1:22.965 - 475 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR '04

1:22.978 - 458 - Isuzu 4200R '89
1:23.027 - 460 - Nissan 350Z (Z33, US) '03
1:23.091 - 497 - Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG '02
1:23.169 - 472 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII RS '01
1:23.230 - 473 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '03

Looks like the Lancer Evo VIII RS '03 is a great match for the Vspec.

Even non-car-people know what a GT-R is, right? So it can't be a sleeper. And STi/Evo are cheaper and can outperform R34's on occasion. It still doesn't feel right to call it a beater, so I won't. I'm not a huge fan of the R34. My favorite is the R32, even the FR model. Shame they didn't make an FR version of R34...

Back