Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Shame they didn't make an FR version of R34...
Actually they did ↓

Nissan_Skyline_1998.jpg

I love learning something every day. Why is this not in GT? :boggled:

http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/car-reviews/nissan-skyline-r34-turbo-review/

The only possible explanation is Kaz's brain having a short-circuit failure that caused brief moments of amnesia while compiling the final list of Skylines for post-GT2 games. And sadly, that meant that all non-4WD variations of the R34 got shafted for no good reason, which is baffling on several accounts. As Cowboy nicely put it;

There was one in GT2:

:D

There was more than one forgotten FR Skyline, in fact. The R33 also had its own FR version in GT2, and much like the 25GT Turbo, it went the way of the dodo after GT2;
048.jpg

There was even a 4-door version of the GT-R in the same generation! Somehow, all 3 of these cars were simply forgotten, despite the common "Kaz loves a good Skyline" jokes that are still being thrown around these days. Again, it's both baffling and sad that the R34 only has the GT-R to defend its honor, when surely many FR versions still roam the streets of Japan, tuned to oblivion or not...

There is usually a Saturday lobby as well, unless some last-minute commitment comes along for McClaren, at the same times as the Wednesday races.

And I hope this week does have a Saturday night of racing as well, if the Wednesday races are anything to go by, because that was some incredible wheel-to-wheel action. A bit rough around the edges sometimes (but that's to be expected when you can't really guess who will you race against in these lobbies), but great racing nonetheless.
Wednesday races? What rock have I been under?

Off topic, COTA tickets are on sale. I'm seriously thinking of going and I'm not sure exactly what to ask or expect. Any suggestions?

Will you be hosting anymore races this week McLaren?

Saturday @ 3p CST

Off topic, COTA tickets are on sale. I'm seriously thinking of going and I'm not sure exactly what to ask or expect. Any suggestions?

I'll be there. Don't stay in Austin without a small fortune, and book your room early. I went to the first one in 2012 and have been planning this trip for the last 4 years.

Wednesday races? What rock have I been under?

Apparently I was the one under a rock, given that my line of thought was clearly stoned when I wrote those words... :dunce: :lol:

The good news is that I got the (more) important part of Saturday lobbies right, even if I didn't write their starting time when I clearly should have. Of course, boss MC did this a lot better, so nothing major was lost during these times.

I just hope I can still join in, cos seriously it seems every week you guys start earlier and earlier. It used to be that I could get home from college, get changed, have a leisurely snack, then I'd see McClaren come online so I'd join in from the start. Lately, I've come home and you guys are already on, and I get about two ore three races in before everyone leaves. :/ I know daylight savings happened recently, but that would have compensated for itself by now.. right?

You and me both Baron. Hoping now that exams are over I can rejoin!

Congrats and welcome back Monty!

I just hope I can still join in, cos seriously it seems every week you guys start earlier and earlier. It used to be that I could get home from college, get changed, have a leisurely snack, then I'd see McClaren come online so I'd join in from the start. Lately, I've come home and you guys are already on, and I get about two ore three races in before everyone leaves. :/ I know daylight savings happened recently, but that would have compensated for itself by now.. right?

We get back to normal around November 6th... ;-)

Cheers

Last edited:

Time for another Fashionably Late Review.

I will freely admit I would have completely overlooked the RX500 had it not been for Car of the Week. It's brief appearance in the GT6 opening movie had been my only previous exposure to this one-off model with a cross between a Ford GT and Lamborghini Countach for a front end and a shooting brake at the rear. And in chase cam mode, you have a very helpful banner there on the RX500's behind in case you ever forget its engine is devoid of cylinders.

You don't realize how good the Mazda is though until you drive it for yourself. The handling is right on point, and the car's light weight makes for some blistering lap times that will put some 500 PP cars to shame. The biggest challenge to the car is controlling the throttle to mitigate wheelspin on corner exit. It's fortunate the RX500 was selected. I would have missed out on not just a definite sleeper, but another win behind the wheel of a Mazda. Zoom-Zoom, indeed.

I would have completely overlooked the RX500 had it not been for Car of the Week
And that's the beauty of this club, getting drivers into cars they otherwise would never have bought, let alone driven! Already, I myself have discovered numerous cars I enjoy I never would have otherwise. The Bellet GT-R, the Mach1 Mustang, and now the RX500 to name a few..

I'm pleased to know I entertained you! Not enough coffee, laying in bed, typing on my kindle. Good thing I wasn't doing something really important.

Dance for us, puppet-boy!

Congratulations Draggon! You've been chosen by our elite committee to select next week's Car of the Week.

My choice ticks all the boxes: Italian good looks, 439 HP, naturally aspirated, FR drivetrain, nice exhausts note, SH tires, drives nice, and is reasonably fast with a top speed over 200mph.

britney-spears-in-a-maserati-granturismo-30047_1.png

It's the 2008 Maserati GranTurismo S!

More importantly, it has the words "Maserati" and "Gran Turismo" in its name. The many easy to find gratuitous pics of nubile young things posing with it pretty much seal the deal.

Quite. It's also the car that got Luca di Montezemolo fired.

Now leave Britney alone.

Once again @Vic Reign93 tops the Time Trial time sheets with 2:24.842 being his best time around Suzuka. This week's event is the home turf for the silver trident- Autodromo Nazionale Monza: 80's circuit. Ask your doctor if sandtraps are right for you.

The Gran Turismo has everything you could possibly want out of a sports car... except agility. And lightweight components. And the ability to take corners without showcasing just how heavy the car's nose is.

Apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record about the Gran Turismo being a whale of a car, but... it just is. It's gorgeous, sounds like a dream (not in GT6 of course, because that's where all glorious Italian engine noises go to get ruined), but you can tell it's not meant for track work. It's a wonderful point-A-to-point-B cruiser, but all it bruises is its driver's ego, as well as most of his body.

And his patience.

The Gran Turismo has everything you could possibly want out of a sports car... except agility. And lightweight components. And the ability to take corners without showcasing just how heavy the car's nose is.

Apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record about the Gran Turismo being a whale of a car, but... it just is. It's gorgeous, sounds like a dream (not in GT6 of course, because that's where all glorious Italian engine noises go to get ruined), but you can tell it's not meant for track work. It's a wonderful point-A-to-point-B cruiser, but all it bruises is its driver's ego, as well as most of his body.

And his patience.
And some of the owners are so cheap that they buy stuff at the dollar store instead of the supermarket next door. One of my regulars at Dollar Tree has a 2012 GranTurismo.

And some of the owners are so cheap that they buy stuff at the dollar store instead of the supermarket next door. One of my regulars at Dollar Tree has a 2012 GranTurismo.

Well that's some depreciation in value, if dollar store "enthusiasts" can get their hands on a GranTurismo... They'll live like kings off the dollar menu in fast-food restaurants, if anything.

Maserati GranTurismo S '08
4.7L
439 hp / 7,000 rpm
362 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,780 kg (3,924 lbs)
489 pp

Mid-Field Raceway. Comfort Soft tires.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:21.407 - 499 - Callaway C12 '03
1:21.461 - 560 - Caterham Seven Fireblade '02
1:21.479 - 493 - Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00
1:21.498 - 487 - Nismo 400R '96
1:21.636 - 449 - Spoon S2000 '00
1:21.715 - 474 - Citroën Xsara Rally Car '99
1:21.715 - 454 - Honda NSX Type S '01
1:21.716 - 465 - Renault Sport Clio V6 Trophy 24V '00
1:21.731 - 485 - BMW Z8 '01
1:21.738 - 470 - RUF 3400S '00
1:21.773 - 490 - Nissan C-West Razo Silvia '01
1:21.824 - 466 - Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02
1:21.830 - 489 - Maserati GranTurismo S '08
1:21.849 - 489 - Mitsubishi HSR-II '89
1:21.876 - 471 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Rally Car '97
1:21.910 - 521 - Cadillac CTS-V Coupe '11
1:21.911 - 480 - Mitsubishi Starion 4WD Rally Car '84
1:21.922 - 518 - Audi RS 6 Avant '08
1:21.933 - 509 - Lexus IS F '07
1:21.939 - 462 - Amuse S2000 R1 '04
1:21.971 - 440 - Lotus Elise 111R '04
1:22.025 - 449 - Honda NSX '01
1:22.142 - 460 - Lotus Evora '09
1:22.147 - 503 - Jaguar XFR '10
1:22.173 - 470 - BMW M3 '04
1:22.174 - 470 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C '09
1:22.226 - 462 - Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst R (FD) '01
1:22.233 - 509 - Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02
1:22.260 - 469 - BMW Z4 M Coupé '08
1:22.288 - 477 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) Touring Car '04
1:22.292 - 484 - Jaguar XKR R Performance '02

It's as quick as the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe '11 and Audi RS 6 Avant '08, which are also very powerful, and very heavy. I would argue those two cars are more "sleeper" than this Maserati, specifically the Audi because it can be made to look very plain, while the Maserati can't.

Back