Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Ack, drove home through a blizzard just to find 1.14 and community server undergoing maintenance standing between me and the funtimes. 'Twas looking forward to hopping in this car for the first time since GT4. :/
Had the same problem Jack. Couldn't get online because of the server maintenance. I was looking forward to racing with everyone with the fireblade.

Very little time I had to drive with this car it's pretty good. I never had the pleasure to drive this car in any of the other GT series but what I found is that it is very slow in acceleration but if you can keep it above 2nd gear it was pretty good.

Well Vic and I were in the lobby with McClaren before the server maintenance began, and Mc was saying if we couldn't race last night we would hold the races tonight... and with the latest updates and new cars I would speculate there MAY be some bonus races in store. Again just speculation on that part, but I would honestly say to get ready for COTW Wednesday!!! Hope to see you there!

Cheers

Last edited:
Probably will just use one of the other two M4s I already have in the virtual garage rather than ponying up credits for another just because of its paint scheme. :P

FIRE AND ICE
jsOvGrB.jpg

This week, we have a run down on the 2002 Caterham Seven Fireblade. Based on the Super 7, this version takes the Honda Fireblade's 900cc engine and drops it into a special version of the 7 chassis for a total weight of 369 kilos! It was apparently so good it was named as The First EVO Magazine Track-day Car of the Year!

“Like most Seven owners I have, over the years, gone for bigger engines, bigger tyres, more and more of everything. So when I drove a Caterham-FireBlade for the first time I was astonished at how much it felt like my Lotus 7 did when I’d first bought it back in 1971.
The Caterham-FireBlade is light, dainty, positive, wickedly responsive and the turn-in…….amazing. The only embarrassment is having to accelerate into bends to compensate for the tendency to brake too hard, too early”.

Steve Winterberg - Lotus 7 Club Chairman

XBLS1hK.jpg

Here in GT6, it comes as a 560pp, 138 hp with 90 ft-lb torque car for 60,000 cr. Unlike GT5, this version comes in a variety of colours instead of just the one (if I recall correctly). To be honest, this time round I had overlooked it until it popped up as our COTW this week. So after the events of server maintenance/update 1.14 Tuesday, it was off to the races on Wednesday!

bONCViS.jpg

Having been a fan of cars in general for most of my life, I knew of the car before this and was looking forward to it. But getting on the track left me with a lunch bag let-down type of feeling. Although being rather responsive in turns, it's gearing in stock form was WAY too long. Not being a perfect driver didn't help me either, and mistakes were very costly! If you lose control, your opponents are GONE as its slow wind up of power leaves you so far behind even history will forget that you were there! :lol: In stock form, this one leaves me cold and gets a Beater status from me.

4BzDZOE.jpg

Keeping pace with the future, we changed things up and tried out the new "Safety Car" known as the M4 M Performance. And just to spice things up @JackRyanWMU brought out the famous GTR version we all know... Much Faster than the Fireblade! To get a sense of what I think of the M4, just read the sign below...

wRcjOFu.jpg

Of course with the latest update we got another Vision car and a newer version of a great track...

vJowovo.jpg

I just love the SOUND! All hail the SUPERU VGT! No, it's not a mis-spelling! ;)

uimxu5D.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
No ordinary drive

As I stared out the window day dreaming about it not raining for at least one day in the UK, a phone call snapped me back to reality.

Not that it was a bad thing, I worked for a known car review magazine with a guy who had a habit of finding me odd balls to review and one of a kind machines to shakedown.

As I expected, it was Mac.
M: Glad to hear you're still in the land of the living Victus.
V: More like the land of the utterly sarcastic, :sly: what's new?
M: How would you like to drive some real oddballs?
V: More odd than a GTi Lupo?
M: Yep, speaking of which, quit dragging your heels and get that write up done.
V: Yes your Highness, :D what cars are we talking about?
M: A motorbike engined Caterham, A safety car from BMW and a experimental shooting brake from Subaru.
V: Not even gonna question how you got hold of these cars.
M: It's in your contract not to question it anyway. :cool:
V: Fair point, I take it that the regulars will be there too?
M: Baron and myself will be, Jack is catching a plane there.
V: Ok, see you there.

After hanging up, I muttered to myself, "No rest for the wicked" :rolleyes: and went to get packed.

On the flight over, I knocked out the Lupo's review, saying it's a simple yet effective Hot Hatch which handles great and is decent successor to the original Golf GTi. Worthy of the sleeper badge. 👍

Seeing the 3 cars parked in the pits, I decided to stick with the 'keep it simple' premise and took the Caterham for a drive.

I say I got through about 3 turns before I decided it was a Beater.

I expected a close ratio 6 speed, but instead got a 6 speed with first and second longer than some marriages. :lol:

It didn't matter that the car handled good, the gearbox completely killed the fun, so I drove back to the pits and got out, muttered to myself that there's a place in hell for the guy who set up that gearbox and jumped in the BMW.

Before I took off, I overhear that the M4 has been opened up for tuners to go nuts on, I make a note to vist one to work on my Frozen Black M4 and launch the safety car out of the pits.

Aside from the light show on the roof and the M colours all over, it drove like a normal M4 which is not a bad thing.

It handled well, had good pulling power and above all else, a decent ruddy gearbox. :bowdown:

I pull back into the pits with a sly smile. Despite the lack of a good sound, the M4 is still a force to be reckoned with. I step out and say it's a sleeper whilst searching for a decent BMW tuner. :P

The Subie Shooting brake was up next and judging by the smile on Barons face, it looked it was fun.

He wasn't lying either.... :drool:

The sound was intoxicating to say the least, properly captured what a Boxer engine should sound like at wide open throttle. :eek:

It also handled well despite sending most of the 650 horses through the front tyres. :scared:

I came back to the pits and decided it's the best sounding VGT projects so far by quite a way.

Me, Baron and Jack came to the conclusion that the Fireblade was a beater due to the gearbox but if corrected could be a weapon on the track.

The Safety car got a Sleeper verdict desipte being lit up like a Christmas tree and the Subaru also got an unanimous verdict of Sleeper for that noise and it's perfomance.

That wrapped up another shoot for us, we left wondering what Automotive shenanigans Mac had for us next time. :confused:

^ Yours had 138 hp after purchase?

Hmmm, to be honest I was quoting the stats shown on the Dealership page when doing my write-up... I will check it out and edit this post afterwards bud!

EDIT: Ok just checked and my Fireblade has 165hp at 567pp, but this is after 2 oil changes and 452.4 km's on it... switched it to Tuning Sheet C (my blank sheet) and defaulted all the settings just to be sure.

Cheers

Last edited:
After the formal race sessions had ended, some discussion ensued about which tracks the low-powered but light Caterham could triumph over a hypercar. That's when BBR decided to take us back to the Stowe Circuit and turn the theoretical discussion into a practical test, and I was happy to take part in the experiment with a McLaren F1.

The F1 was honestly far too overpowered for this track, it was hard work just to keep the wheels on the pavement. By all practical accounts the Caterham is probably the better car for this track. But the raw power of the F1 was enough for it to triumph even on that tiny circuit.

Now, if this more powerful version of the Caterham was in the game, this experiment would really have been interesting!

It looks as though I've been missing out on some COTW fun, obviously. I'm finally getting settled after the move and really enjoying this SoCal sunshine. Coming from Seattle, it can't get much better than this.

I plan on partaking in next weeks events so I'll see you all on the track.

It looks as though I've been missing out on some COTW fun, obviously. I'm finally getting settled after the move and really enjoying this SoCal sunshine. Coming from Seattle, it can't get much better than this.

I plan on partaking in next weeks events so I'll see you all on the track.

Welcome back... and I'm officially jealous! SoCal, really? We have snow and you have sand... oh ya, jealous for sure!

Cheers

I expected a close ratio 6 speed, but instead got a 6 speed with first and second longer than some marriages. :lol:

Congratulations Vic Reign93!!!

Your powers of observation are astounding. What'll it be this week?

I thought about running the (REDACTED) first but I decided that would too cruel for you guys. :lol:

So I looked for another FF car but decided to add a limitation in the form of the cars age.

More specifically, a car as old as me and I found one, or should I say two?

Only one pp difference between these to 2 litre V6 road cars so don't worry about there being too much of a difference. ;)

Another twofer! It's the 1993 Mazda 323F/Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R!!!

DSC_0022.jpg

Despite what the description says in the game, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the understeer on this thing. It's almost like the Eclipse's fat/ugly-friend-that-makes-it-look-hot.

You know the one.

Last edited:
Also, pardon the double post, but I think you got a word wrong on that car description. Shouldn't it be "understeer" instead of "oversteer"? I read GT's own description, and I did not see any word that starts with "over", sir.

Correct, my mistake.

You thought we were still driving FR cars? No siree Bob, this week is understeer land for you! :lol:

And in fact, I had a few laps with this around Twin Ring Motegi (the East course), and I'm comparing the time I did with the Eclipse's. Sadly, the Eclipse was faster (by around 3 seconds), but I still believe this car can be quicker with a bit of fettling...

If it needs to be tinkered with, it's a Beater. Cars shouldn't come broken, they should work as god intended!

I guess so, tuning a car does defeat the purpose of deciding whether it should be a Beater or a Sleeper. Pity, that engine is calling for more power and a slightly better chassis. Honda always knew how to get their FFs right (as the Civic FD2 clearly shows)... :bowdown:

Mazda Lantis vs Nissan S14 Silvia non-turbo...One is FF, the other FR. One has 20 more horses, the other weighs 40 kg less. Both were all-new for the 1993 model year. This is a rivalry nobody saw coming, not even me. The Honda Del Sol SiR is the closest FF Honda competitor, but even that car is capable of high 2:35 lap times, besting the Mazda by well over a second, which it should considering it doesn't have rear seats.

Mazda
2.0L
173 hp / 7,500 rpm
132 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,200 kg (2,646 lb)
381 pp
15.3 lbs/hp
Max speed achieved - 120 mph

Nissan

2.0L
153 hp / 6,400 rpm
139 ft-lb / 4,800 rpm
1,160 kg (2,557 lb)
372 pp
16.7 lbs/hp
Max speed achieved - 117 mph

2:37.678 - Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93
2:37.789 - Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '93

Last edited:
Mazda Lantis vs Nissan S14 Silvia non-turbo...One is FF, the other FR. One has 20 more horses, the other weighs 40 kg less. Both were all-new for the 1993 model year. This is a rivalry nobody saw coming, not even me. The Honda Del Sol SiR is the closest FF Honda competitor, but even that car is capable of high 2:35 lap times, besting the Mazda by well over a second, which it should considering it doesn't have rear seats.

Mazda
2.0L
173 hp / 7,500 rpm
132 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,200 kg (2,646 lb)
381 pp
15.3 lbs/hp
Max speed achieved - 120 mph

Nissan

2.0L
153 hp / 6,400 rpm
139 ft-lb / 4,800 rpm
1,160 kg (2,557 lb)
372 pp
16.7 lbs/hp
Max speed achieved - 117 mph

2:37.678 - Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93
2:37.789 - Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '93

Interesting. I wonder if that same advantage holds across the board, or at select tracks.

Is it just me, or is this car showing up everywhere lately?
Forgotten cars thread? 323F is there. This thread? 323F is there. [insert topic of thread] thread? 323F is there. Outside, near my house? SOMEHOW, A 323F IS ALSO THERE.
Well, you know what they say, if you can't beat 'em, be them.

It's a good time to be a Mazda owner, I guess. :lol: Maybe this proves how forgotten this car is, everybody saw it and went "Oh, there's one of these in game? Didn't knew that, better drive one. :dunce:".

Latest Posts

Back