Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_5.png

I was wondering where that random like in my review came from. :lol: Welcome back, Monty! :)👍 Hope you've been doing well.

Also, I know this may sound like begging, but I would like to know your opinions on my review. I accept all kinds of feedback, after all I need it. Just make sure it's constructive. :)

There's not much I can offer, you have a pretty good lay out on how you did it. :cheers:

Everyone's got they own writing style, McClaren's early write ups have a great story that revolves around the car ( I recommed his NSX review as a good example :P).

Suzuka tells you how a car can perform with the figures and times around the Suzuka Circuit ( or his Laguna Seca Premium car Comfort tyre series ).

Mine is more comedic in storytelling and facts. :D

The key is finding a style that suits you well but like I said, you have a good starting point. 👍

There's not much I can offer, you have a pretty good lay out on how you did it. :cheers:

Everyone's got they own writing style, McClaren's early write ups have a great story that revolves around the car ( I recommed his NSX review as a good example :P).

Suzuka tells you how a car can perform with the figures and times around the Suzuka Circuit ( or his Laguna Seca Premium car Comfort tyre series ).

Mine is more comedic in storytelling and facts. :D

The key is finding a style that suits you well but like I said, you have a good starting point. 👍

Thanks. :cheers:

I guess, thinking back on what you said, that I need to find my own groove amidst all the other grooves you mentioned. Personally, I'd like to make reviews focused a bit on the car's driving, with a bit of comedy added to the mix. :) A few history facts here and there (but not too many :P) and then some pros & cons.

I have a good starting point, eh? That's a good start, then. :D

Bewildering Mirage: The story of the Mitsubishi Mirage ZR
Wow, it has been a while since I did one of these, eh? "Author's block", some might say, but I prefer the term "finding the non-lazy spot". I've seen so many good cars I passed by while seeing this thread, including one of my personal favorites: The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. Boy I felt stupid when I found out about that one...

But that is besides the point. And speaking of Mitsubishis...

(Insert lots of good stuff)
Final Verdict: Sleeper -The Mirage might not be the Civic-killer that Mitsubishi had hoped for, but it still is a very good hot-hatch all things considered. Just beware of the less powerful engine and the lack of graphical detail when buying one...

Great write up. Love it. 👍

I was wondering where that random like in my review came from. :lol: Welcome back, Monty! :)👍 Hope you've been doing well.

Also, I know this may sound like begging, but I would like to know your opinions on my review. I accept all kinds of feedback, after all I need it. Just make sure it's constructive. :)
Thanks for the Welcome Niku! I've been looking forward to rejoining the COTW series ever since I got my WiFi back up and running.

I'm no expert when it comes to reviews, but I'd be glad to share what I thought about yours. :)
- First of all: "Milly's" history. I thought this section was well constructed as you made your way to describing the Cyborg's purpose. Which brings me to my next point;
-Comparison with the Civic Type R: Although it's been a popular topic of discussion in the past week of this forum. In my opinion, you are the first to accurately describe what separates these two cars. I also appreciated the fact that you excluded the Civic from the Mirage's road test. The focus was how the car performs, not how it performs differently or similarly to the Civic.
Finally, the summary of pros, cons and the Final Verdict at the end was a nice way to conclude the review. 👍 The length was good, and I didn't feel bombarded with pictures. Really, I don't have any complaints.

There's my review... of a review...:odd: Hope you find it helpful in some way. Cheers.

Thanks for the Welcome Niku! I've been looking forward to rejoining the COTW series ever since I got my WiFi back up and running.

I'm no expert when it comes to reviews, but I'd be glad to share what I thought about yours. :)
- First of all: "Milly's" history. I thought this section was well constructed as you made your way to describing the Cyborg's purpose. Which brings me to my next point;
-Comparison with the Civic Type R: Although it's been a popular topic of discussion in the past week of this forum. In my opinion, you are the first to accurately describe what separates these two cars. I also appreciated the fact that you excluded the Civic from the Mirage's road test. The focus was how the car performs, not how it performs differently or similarly to the Civic.
Finally, the summary of pros, cons and the Final Verdict at the end was a nice way to conclude the review. 👍 The length was good, and I didn't feel bombarded with pictures. Really, I don't have any complaints.

There's my review... of a review...:odd: Hope you find it helpful in some way. Cheers.

It is great to hear that you managed to sort out your Wi-fi connection, hopefully you can enjoy the thrills of COTW again without issues. :gtpflag:
I did find it helpful, make no mistake about that. :)👍 Even if you're not an expert, good feedback is still good feedback. That's what I believe in, at least.

It seems that my layout looks good, just like Vic stated before. It was also interesting that you brought up the fact that I didn't add my review of the Civic to the Mirage's, that focus on the car at hand also is something that works really well on single car reviews. The length of the review was my main concern, as I'm still trying to balance out the amount of pictures with the size of my text. Finally, the Final Veredict and the Pros & Cons section are going to become my own trademark as I feel that the veredict of the car as a whole is the most important fact of all in a car review, so I'm glad that bit works well. :cheers:

All in all, thank you very much for your "reviewception". :odd: :lol: It was really helpful, good to know that I am on the right track as a car reviewer.

Please see the special announcement at the end of this post.

Congratulations JackRyanWMU!

Your recent #GranTurismoTuesday win has earned you this week's choice! What say ye?

Normally I wouldn't select yet another front-drive car after we've had so many of them in a row.

But after what I managed to do in this car, I pretty much can't not pick it.

This weeks car:

...the 2007 Mazda Atenza Sport 25Z!

db_Mazda6_2_3_aus_ZurichIMG_1250_b1.jpg

Once again, we're stuck in Japan with FWD. I loved the Mirage Cyborg ZR, hated the Lantis, and the Atenza typically gets good reviews. However, there's an entire planet of cars to choose from, yet we seem to be stuck.

Is it the Saki?

As a bonus, pick up one of the Atenza/Mazda6 touring cars. I'm not saying it's a Targa, but it's a Targa!

Special Announcement:

There will be no winner chosen for week 52, our 1 year anniversary. Instead, please send me a message (titled Car of the Year) containing your picks of the Best and Worst car we've tested all year. Week 52 will be our Car of the Year ceremony, with various awards handed out. If there's a goofy award that you'd like to nominate (Worst Facial Feature- Fisker Karma's moustache, for instance) then include that in your PM and I'll try to work it it.

In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen by myself as the tie-breaker. Submissions must be entered no later than 12/31/2014 (31/12/2014 for everyone across the pond) at 11:59p. The winners will be announced for week 52, and I'm sure we'll do something for that Tuesday. Please keep all votes to cars that have been reviewed by us over the year- a handy list is on the OP (so the Karma was a bad example, but you get my point).

Finally, please also select a Driver of the Year. Please base your decision on not just racing prowess, but also content of posts within this thread. Otherwise it'd be down to Vic and Lewis, and everyone deserves their shot!

If you have any questions, please message me directly.
(Please note that the '07 Mazda Roadster RS (NC) is not qualified for this award)

Can we just take the girl instead ? :P

To a hospital ? :lol:, I don't think that shade of orange is healthy...

Then again, Vitamin C & all that :D

#firstworldconcerns #girlsbeforerides :lol:

Actually, I just had a few drives with the Atenza, and once again I was very pleased by the car. 👍 I must say, despite the oddly constant picking of Japanese FF cars we've been having lately, these cars have been doing remarkably well. Must be something they put in the food... :lol:

Mazda Atenza 25Z '07
2.5L
168 hp / 6,000 rpm
167 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,470 kg (3,241 lb)
375 pp

Price - 26,200 Cr.

From the Car Info screen:

"The Atenza, known overseas as the "Mazda 6," changed to its 2nd generation model 5 years from its initial debut. Though the 1st generation model was slightly large at first, the world has come to match the Atenza, and it has become the standard size for a mid-class car.

Its design concept was the "ultimate high speed long distance tourer," to allow safe and comfortable drives during high speed tours on European roads. For this reason, it was designed to achieve high marks in both the reduction of road noise and aerodynamics.

The body size and wheel base were enlarged, making the interior passenger space significantly larger. The interior combines leather and metal, creating a combination of dark and light, and the design of the meter panels makes them look as though they are floating in mid air.

The power unit was enlarged from the previous 2.3 liters to 2.5 liters, but this was not to pursue more power. By tuning it for abundant torque, it achieves a flexibility that is useful in a long-distance tourer. The 5-speed AT feels good, allowing the driver to enjoy every driving condition from cities to winding roads without stress.

The sporty grade model 25Z is given 18 inch tires, which match the car well, due to the same suspension tuning geared for European specs.

Mazda kept their stance of being less expensive than their rivals, and it is one factor which raised the popularity and gained good reviews for the Atenza."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Onboard lap at Laguna Seca on CH tires, no oil change:

Nearest Premium FF competitors include:

Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 T Sport '09
Citroen C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '05
Abarth 500 '09

All 3 cars finish within 1 second of the Mazda.

Well, I just had a few 'meet & great' laps with the Atenza, and honestly...

I missed the Mitsu' Cyborg :lol:

For being a Mazda, I found it a little underwhelming. Will it follow a line and 'get around' ? - Yes, Will it put a smile on my face in the process ? - No, I felt bored if anything while seeing what it had to offer, it's heavy and 'tuned' for torque - Great for city driving, but not for elevated track-speeds.

This one I'll call a Sleeper, in the sense that it wanted to put me to sleep ;). Gimme the keys to the Mitsu', I need to wake up :D

I will spend more time with both, especially the Mitsu' (perhaps we 'got off on the wrong foot'), and see if my impressions change throughout the coming week. 👍

Perhaps the Mazda 6 Touring car (that yellow/blue one) is worth a look into tomorrow ?, See if that redeems the stock car any ?

Been watching too many touring car videos on YouTube, and now I'm in the mood for some. If only GT could provide :lol:

Let's just say the only Atenza I like is the Mazdaspeed 4WD version. It's over 6 seconds quicker around Suzuka than the '07 on SH tires.

2014-Mazdaspeed6-7.jpg

I was kinda expecting that answer, to be honest. No Atenza\6 can set your heart racing quite like a 4WD Mazda with 276 hp. Although I do have one minor beef:

It's a Concept car. A STANDARD Concept car. PD!!! 🤬:mad:

But I guess that also had to be expected. I haven't driven the MPS yet, but I did buy one for that purpose...

Also, I agree with @Kurei, there is no racing car that can give you the thrills that a Touring Car can give. 👍 I just love that close racing you get when racing Touring Cars.

image.jpg
My first post on beater or sleeper so it might be a little bad and short.

After testing the Mazda Atenza in 400pp cup and a few laps of Monaco I've decided that it is a nice 4 door that certainly grips through the corners with minimal problems. The Mazda's 2.5L engine doesn't produce many thrills or competitive lap times but it'll get the job done with a steady 168BHP.

But is a sleeper or beater? Definitely a sleeper, This car makes you quite bored and there's not much else to say.

I have to say I quite like this car. Sure it may feel as exciting as a dead whale on a beach to drive. However the styling is like no other Mazda. I rather like and think the styling is quite nice and functional. I find it quite easy to throw around tracks like Nordschleife as it is really forgiving to drive.

Overall I woukd give this car a 7/10. But in saying that I am slightly biased as I like the car.

I'd say it's a beater as it's more of a company car than sports car.

Last edited:
The Racer from Vegas

The night started as any normal night for the COTW crew, prepping the cars for battle and then meeting McClaren at the starting point.

Only this time McClaren had an big ace up his sleeve. :sly:

Our special guest was none other than Barrett Rolph, A finalist from the GT academy. :eek:

Our good friend Monty also made his return to the track this week and he hasn't lost his pace either. 👍

Whilst the Antenza was the reason we're there, the real comparison was between one of COTW's speed demons with no real life racing experience and the GTA finalist who did and both ended up taking victories throughout the night.

My verdict on the Antenza is a sleeper, but it's not the Antenza I recommend. :confused:

Whilst the car drove well, I couldn't help but notice the older models were lighter, more powerful and cheaper.

Ted Thomas decided to make another apperance and really messed with the set dressing. :P

Aside from that, it's definitely an night to remember with the good racing and the fact we raced alongside someone with huge potential for a great racing career.

So, thank you again McClaren for giving us that opportunity. :cheers:

The Racer from Vegas

The night started as any normal night for the COTW crew, prepping the cars for battle and then meeting McClaren at the starting point.

Only this time McClaren had an big ace up his sleeve. :sly:

Our special guest was none other than Barrett Rolph, A finalist from the GT academy. :eek:

Our good friend Monty also made his return to the track this week and he hasn't lost his pace either. 👍

Whilst the Antenza was the reason we're there, the real comparison was between one of COTW's speed demons with no real life racing experience and the GTA finalist who did and both ended up taking victories throughout the night.

My verdict on the Antenza is a sleeper, but it's not the Antenza I recommend. :confused:

Whilst the car drove well, I couldn't help but notice the older models were lighter, more powerful and cheaper.

Ted Thomas decided to make another apperance and really messed with the set dressing. :P

Aside from that, it's definitely an night to remember with the good racing and the fact we raced alongside someone with huge potential for a great racing career.

So, thank you again McClaren for giving us that opportunity. :cheers:

As the Americans often say:

"Ah, son of a million b:censored:s." :ouch:

Welp, that in fact happened, you lot had the chance to lock horns with an actual GTA finalist. What a golden opportunity I missed! :drool: I have to tip my hat to Mr. @McClarenDesign, you pulled out all the stops to give this week a special feel. :bowdown:

A shame I missed last night, would love to have raced a GT Academy finalist. The other half and myself were out celebrating two years together though.

I will try this car out tonight as I have not driven it yet, but I expect disappointment. The night before COTW, cars that I thought would be dogs, such as the Renault Avantime and '81 Toyota Celica, were able keep up and even set faster lap times than the Atenzas during the races. The big, ugly Avantime was able to pass the Atenzas on Matterhorn's uphills like the Mazdas were on a country walk.

At Sierra, I took out an '01 Nissan Primera which had very similar power and weight statistics, but it blew the Mazdas away in acceleration.

Back