Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Keeping up with the Karmann Ghia, so easy even a Fiat 500 (with 20% of its power taken away) can do it.

A lot of ideas were tossed around during the races regarding engine swaps to try and improve this car's power, but I think I've got the problem licked. I've found a way to make it immediately faster.

Now I just need to figure out how to mount a trailer hook on the front bumper of the VW.

Apologies for my sudden disappearance guys, after the moncaco race every house on my street had a power outage. :crazy:

Anyways, I'll be making an important announcement when I post my review of the Ghia, but what it's about isn't 100% guaranteed at the moment and won't be happening to me immediately, sometime next year probably, but I figure I'd keep you guys in the loop. :D

Apologies for my sudden disappearance guys, after the moncaco race every house on my street had a power outage. :crazy:

Anyways, I'll be making an important announcement when I post my review of the Ghia, but what it's about isn't 100% guaranteed at the moment and won't be happening to me immediately, sometime next year probably, but I figure I'd keep you guys in the loop. :D

Tell me they're getting rid of Maldonado and you'll be taking his place... you would save them thousands of dollars on insurance alone!

Thanks to all that showed up today btw... @tarnheld , @Niku Driver HC , @Vic Reign93 and of course @McClarenDesign ... I'll take everything suggested with me to make things better next time. If I'm allowed that is. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Let's try it this way @McClarenDesign ...

wj8dVoN1g4Tz2ivnh6wswiRFetl7JJF5kNcr2r3kpW0JOdxm8355wCXCgEo-33ay2fWvsbzr4XR-gGWQib1wCuY94lcvLXCBeWbjT1wCXiTlIk6fPkSFItM=s0-d-e1-ft
trLmA4tPLmkIPRVMrGJ1nnw8xWJQOWXqI_FK1TRp67cEzKoEl7SI3noLVV40QmwEP1Ak8svMOmp3E3xw9NeIxIDsJIK3sGckuLVDqsiN=s0-d-e1-ft

Clubs are places where like-minded players can get together. Each player can create one club. The player who creates a club becomes its owner. Each player can be a member of up to eight clubs, including one that they own. There is no limit to the number of players in each club.

The Club Screen
Select "Clubs" from the Community area to display the club list. On the left side of this screen, there are four icons: "Club List", "Favorites List", "Search for Clubs" and "Create Club". These icons' functions are as follows:

Club List
Displays clubs that are relevant to you. Use the tabs at the top of the screen to switch between "Current Clubs", "Recommended Clubs" and "New Clubs". Select a club from the list displayed on the right side of the screen to proceed to that club's overview page. A maximum of eight clubs can be displayed on the "Current Clubs" tab. Up to 100 clubs can be displayed on the "Recommended Clubs" and "New Clubs" tabs.
Favorites List
Displays the clubs you have added to your favorites. Clubs can be added to your favorites from "Recommended Clubs" or "New Clubs". Simply select "Add to Favorites", displayed on the right side of a club's top screen, and that club will be added to your Favorites List. The "Search for Clubs" feature (see below) can also be used to find clubs to add to your Favorites List.
Search for Clubs
Filter clubs using keywords or country, as well as selected tag information. Enter a club's unique ID to jump directly to that club. A club's ID is displayed on that club's overview page.
Create Club
Create a club and become its owner. The following settings can be adjusted on the Club Creation Screen. Once you have chosen your preferred settings, select "Create" to confirm. You cannot own more than one club at a time.
  • Club Name: Enter a name for the club. You can enter a maximum of 30 characters.
  • Club Profile Picture: Choose a photo to use as a symbol of your club.
  • Club Description: Describe why players might want to join your club in 140 characters or less.
  • Tag Settings: Set tags in six categories, including "Policy" and "Race Type". Setting tags makes it easier for like-minded players to find your club. Tags are also used to determine which clubs are displayed in a player's "Recommended Clubs".
  • Club Type: Choose whether to make your club one where only friends invited by the owner can join, and decide whether or not you want your club to appear in the public club listings.
What You Can Do in a Club
Select a club from the club list or by another method, and you'll be taken to that club's overview page. On the left side of this screen, there are four icons: "Overview", "Club Lobby", "Club Events" and "Forum". These icons' functions are as follows:

Overview
An overview of the club is provided on this screen. You can choose to join or leave the club, add or remove it from your favorites, and invite friends to join it. For more details, please refer to "A Club's Overview Page" below.
Club Lobby
A list of all the rooms within the club. In these rooms, club members can enjoy racing and chatting. Select "Create Room" from the right side of the screen to create a new room.
All club members can create rooms. Creating a room within a club is the same as creating a room in Open Lobby mode. Please refer to the "Online Races" section of this manual for more information on how to create a room. Rooms have one of three privacy settings: "Public", "Club Only" and "Friends Only". Selecting "Public" means the room is displayed on the room list in Open Lobby mode. This can be a good way of attracting new club members.
If everyone leaves a club lobby room, or there is no one capable of being the room owner, the room is closed. If a room's privacy setting has been set to "Public", the room is closed when all members of the club leave it (even if there are still guest players in the room).
Club Events
A list of race events in which only club members can take part. Only the club owner can create club events. Each club can set up a maximum of 10 club events.
Select an event from the list of club events to proceed to that event's Event Details Screen. You can also select "Create Club Event" or "Manage Event Settings" from the right side of the club event list. Please refer to "Creating a Club Event" below for more details.
To take part in a club event, select it from the list to proceed to the Event Details Screen, then select "Enter" from the right side of the screen. Once you have entered, select "Room" from the right side of the Event Details Screen, and select a room for that event. On the Room Selection Screen, you can join the club event by selecting an existing room, or you can select "Create a Room" to create your own room for that event.
Apart from "Enter", the other options on the Event Details Screen are "Add Comment", which allows you to write a comment about the event, and "Invite Friends", which allows you to invite friends to join the event.
Forum
A message board for club members. Each club forum contains a variety of topics. Only the club owner can create a new topic. Non-club members can read the topics on the forum, but only club members can post comments. A club forum can contain up to ten topics. Each topic can contain up to 1,000 comments.
A Club's Overview Page
H-agshKsAkr5PIjRxfoGtxL6Djk0ShBtd5Pc2QOJ8bheeVF3nkUCpnFtq0HxBxLG9G3T5aSTDnct8qPg6_mG7dFG5ayc0glJahAGsRn9=s0-d-e1-ft

Each club's overview page contains the following information:

Club Name
Owner's Online ID
Club's Location
Date and Time of Club's Establishment
Number of Members
Number of Members Who Are Your Friends
Selected Tags
Club Description
Your Status (Member/Owner/Favorite)
Club ID
Notifications
Add to Favorites/Remove from Favorites
Invite Friends
Manage Club*
*This option is only displayed if you are the club owner. The club owner can also change the information that is displayed to members.
Creating a Club Event
Y0Klp13N9fWrHwLzyVVtwhqsHTOP3WY4wuWloCM9AxnbDNItlK7CPG4uWG9UY72kdHuIMyAWPbMPKSjQdx3Cs1dIQHuJ_lLViHmlyXib=s0-d-e1-ft

Only the club owner can create a club event. A maximum of 10 club events can be created for each club.

To create a club event, first proceed to the club that you own from your "My Page" or from the "Current Clubs" tab of the club list, then select "Club Events" from the left side of your club's overview page. The Club Events Screen will be displayed. Select "Create Club Event" from the right side of this screen to create an event.

The following settings can be adjusted on the Club Event Creation Screen:
  • Club Event Name: Enter a name for your club event. You can enter a maximum of 30 characters.
  • Club Event Settings: The various decisions you need to make about your club event (tracks, regulations etc.), are referred to as "Event Settings". To create brand new event settings, select "Create New". Event settings are set up in the same way as room settings in Open Lobby mode. If you have already created and saved the event settings you want to use, select "Manage Event Settings" followed by "Load Saved Event Settings" to load them. For more details on the "Manage Event Settings" option, please refer to "Managing Event Settings" below.
  • Club Event Duration: Set the club event's starting date and time, as well as its ending date and time.
  • Club Event Profile Picture: Choose a photo to use as a symbol of your club event.
  • Club Event Description: Describe why club members might want to join the event in 140 characters or less.
Once setup is complete, select "Create" at the bottom of the screen to create the club event. Your event will be displayed on the club event list. If you are using gran-tursimo.com's Community features to create a club event, please refer to the "Linking with gran-turismo.com" page in the "Community" section of this manual.
Managing Event Settings
In order to create a club event, you will need to select event settings. You can either select each of your preferred event settings when you create a club event, or you can select "Manage Event Settings" and load a set of previously saved event settings.
To create event settings, select "Manage Event Settings" from the right side of the club event screen. On the "Manage Event Settings" screen, you can create, change and save event settings using separate storage methods.
The two storage methods for saving event settings are "Local Storage" and "Club Owner Storage". Select "Local Storage" to save settings data on your PlayStation®3 system. Select "Club Owner Storage" to save settings data on the network, making it available from the Club Event Creation Screen and gran-turismo.com's Community area. Up to five event settings can be saved using "Local Storage", while up to ten event settings can be saved using "Club Owner Storage".
Once you have selected a storage method from the left side of the "Manage Event Settings" screen, select "Create New" from the right side of the screen. The Room Settings Screen will be displayed, allowing you to choose a track, regulations etc. Select "Apply Changes" from the far left of this screen to save your event settings. (Room privacy settings cannot be changed from "Club Members Only"). Please refer to the "How to Create a Room 1-3" pages of the "Online Races" section of this manual for more details on room settings.
A list of saved event settings is displayed under the "Create New" button on the right side of the "Manage Event Settings" screen. These event settings can be called up, adjusted, and then saved once again.
Related Pages
- Friends
- News
- Photo Stream
- Timeline
- Connect to gran-turismo.com

© 2015 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Manufacturers, cars, names, brands and associated imagery featured in this game in some cases include trademarks and/or copyrighted materials of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Any depiction or recreation of real world locations, entities, businesses, or organizations is not intended to be or imply any sponsorship or endorsement of this game by such party or parties.

Cheers

Tell me they're getting rid of Maldonado and you'll be taking his place... you would save them thousands of dollars on insurance alone!

Thanks to all that showed up today btw... @tarnheld , @Niku Driver HC , @Vic Reign93 and of course @McClarenDesign ... I'll take everything suggested with me to make things better next time. If I'm allowed that is. :)

Cheers

Sadly that's not the case, but I like your way of thinking. :lol:

The announcement I gonna make is that if everything falls into place, by this time next year I won't be Victory_Reign ,The British Bullet",

I'll be Victory_Reign, "The American Anti-Hero" ( sorry @McClarenDesign :D)

Yep, I could be moving out to North Carolina with my mum, it's all still up in the air at the moment, but it looks promising.

It'll be a fresh start for me, but don't worry because whilst the flag may change, I'll still be the same. ;)

Ok, back to regular programming. :P

'KARMANN GET SOME!' :cool:

This weeks chariot for the COTW regulars was the '1968 Volkswagen Karmman Ghia Coupe (Type-1)'.

It's quite simply, the slowest car we've ever tested. :ouch:

Packing 45hp, the Ghia is painfully slow, in fact it took the downhill section at Sierra and a slipstream just to hit 100mph. :crazy:

It doesn't weigh much on the other hand at just 840kg.

The Handling does sometimes show its rear engined characteristics when pushed and thanks to its stock Comfort Mediums, it can get sideways heading into turns.

Whilst this all that sounds bad, it does encourage the driver to be smooth so as to keep his momentum up and not rely on the brakes as much which also brought some close racing too which is always a plus.

But the unanimous thing we all agreed on is its just too damn gutless in stock form, fully tuned it'll make around 175hp and weigh less than 735kg.

We discussed engine swaps and whilst some went the Small Block Chevy route, I thought I keep it in the VAG family and went with the 2.7 V6 out of the Corrado VR6. :D

If you tune the Ghia for at least 100hp, it'll make a decent cruiser, but in stock form it's just too slow.

Verdict: Beater 👎 (shame, it's not a half bad looking car either)

Why's that?

Still can't login to the GT6 web interface on gran-turismo.com. No clue why.

Yep, I could be moving out to North Carolina with my mum, it's all still up in the air at the moment, but it looks promising.

If this does happen, hopefully your mum will let you join us for the USGP in Austin, TX. Everyone here is, of course, welcome to attend!

- Special Announcement -

1. Euro-friendly races will now be weekly, so we will have two (2) Car of the Week races each week- Tuesday @ 10p CST and Saturday @ 3p CST. If you can't make one, aim for the other. If you can make both, so much the better!

2. @Baron Blitz Red will be creating a new GT Club event on our GT6 Club Community - Playing with TTs! This week's event is already available! You'll have ten (10) minutes to get the best time at a selected track using the current week's car. This week it's at the Eiger Nordwand.

3. This Tuesday we'll attempt to incorporate voice chat into our Car of the Week races in preparation for when we're able to broadcast on Twitch. If you've got headset, please hook it up and chat with us during the races!

Now, on with the show...

Just put it in the bed, go fast, take a sharp corner let it slide out, and ??? Then profit

Congratulations ALeftRighter! You've been chosen to determine our collective fates. Be gentle.

His choice...

1964-1970-Renault-R8-Gordini-Front-Angle-Open-Door-1280x960.jpg

It's the 1966 Renault R8 Gordini!!!

Gotta go Gordining!

Erm, yes, quite. I'd like to point out that this is the hipster R8... Before Audi, this was THE R8... before it was cool.

I'm sure someone may find out the answer to such a mysterious question... :sly:

On the plus side, MC managed to find a car picture with a woman and the actual right model in question. Well done, Mr. Mcclaren. 👍

Dunno who the driver is, but women drivers at the time weren't uncommon in France.

And if we're going to complain about accuracy, it's McClaren.

Dunno who the driver is, but women drivers at the time weren't uncommon in France.

And if we're going to complain about accuracy, it's McClaren.

Quite, let us not forget that one of those French women once won a FIA-sanctioned rally, and then went on to win at Pikes Peak...

Point taken, I bypassed that one as I was writing on my smartphone.

Also, if it happens, good luck for the moving into Cally, @Vic Reign93. Hopefully everything will go well to both you and your mother. :)👍

Renault R8 Gordini '66

1.3L
101 hp / 7,000 rpm
86 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
850 kg (1,874 lbs)
344 pp

Max tune:

313 hp / 7,800 rpm
219 ft-lb / 7,300 rpm
763 kg (1,682 lbs)
515 pp

The only non-German car in the game with RR layout as far as I know. How does it compare with other cars from its time?

1:36.549 - 364 - Daihatsu Storia X4 '00
1:36.627 - 339 - Nissan Exa Canopy L.A.Version Type S '88
1:36.652 - 349 - Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00
1:36.668 - 338 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
1:36.669 - 348 - Peugeot 106 Rallye '03
1:36.723 - 342 - Isuzu 117Coupé '68
1:36.839 - 349 - Isuzu Piazza XE '81
1:36.842 - 348 - Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70
1:36.918 - 343 - Mini Cooper '02
1:36.918 - 344 - Renault R8 Gordini '66
1:37.019 - 347 - Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69
1:37.168 - 352 - Peugeot 307 CC Premium AVN '04
1:37.215 - 351 - Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR '70
1:37.284 - 342 - Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '00

So there you have it. It's as quick as the more powerful Mitsubishi Galant and Isuzu Bellett. It puts up a great fight against the Toyota Celica, Isuzu 117 and Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale.

^ Top speed 102 mph

For me, it's a sleeper. It's got a small engine and is low on power, but being RR helps it get around corners with ease. Weight distribution is 46/54. I can't think of anything wrong with this car except that it could use more power!

Renault R8 Gordini '66

1.3L
101 hp / 7,000 rpm
86 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
850 kg (1,874 lbs)
344 pp

Max tune:

313 hp / 7,800 rpm
219 ft-lb / 7,300 rpm
763 kg (1,682 lbs)
515 pp

The only non-German car in the game with RR layout as far as I know. How does it compare with other cars from its time?

1:36.549 - 364 - Daihatsu Storia X4 '00
1:36.627 - 339 - Nissan Exa Canopy L.A.Version Type S '88
1:36.652 - 349 - Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00
1:36.668 - 338 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
1:36.669 - 348 - Peugeot 106 Rallye '03
1:36.723 - 342 - Isuzu 117Coupé '68
1:36.839 - 349 - Isuzu Piazza XE '81
1:36.842 - 348 - Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70
1:36.918 - 343 - Mini Cooper '02
1:36.918 - 344 - Renault R8 Gordini '66
1:37.019 - 347 - Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69
1:37.168 - 352 - Peugeot 307 CC Premium AVN '04
1:37.215 - 351 - Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR '70
1:37.284 - 342 - Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '00

So there you have it. It's as quick as the more powerful Mitsubishi Galant and Isuzu Bellett. It puts up a great fight against the Toyota Celica, Isuzu 117 and Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale.

^ Top speed 102 mph

For me, it's a sleeper. It's got a small engine and is low on power, but being RR helps it get around corners with ease. Weight distribution is 46/54. I can't think of anything wrong with this car except that it could use more power!

*cough* Delorean DMC S2 :sly:👍

The only other problem I have with the R8 is the strange choice of tires; why Racing Hard compound? Surely any R8 Gordi owner doesn't really think about using this against any race car, much less a classical one... Besides, tire compounds with lesser grip fit the car's character much better in my opinion, as its RR personality feels more accurate (ergo, it's more lively at the rear).

And here is a new segment which I like to call "Ways to prove that a R8 is better than a Kar-Ghia". Picture #008 will lead the way;

Silverstone National Circuit.jpg
(Although just barely. And yes, that is an Integra Type-R behind it, therefore proving that I beat not one but TWO Type-R cars.)
What better way to prove my Sleeper rating that doing something which would require God's miracle to happen with the Kar-Ghia? I'd say this is a pretty good one, gentlemen... ;)

Last edited:
I'm sure someone may find out the answer to such a mysterious question... :sly:

It's Leena Brusiin from Finland, miss Europe 1968 :)

The license plates on that car are Finnish too (two letters, a dash, 3 digits, on a black background). The first letter (A) means that the car is from Helsinki city.

As for the car, it's one of my favourites! Can't go wrong with an RR drivetrain!

Why can't you guys be more like @eran0004 , huh? There's a winner if I've ever seen one. Well done, @eran0004 , well done!!!

Oi, it's not like I'm a specialist in Swedish female models, my knowledge is that not comprehensive! The sexiest model I know from Sweden is an IKEA table, to the best of my knowledge... Well, my knowledge about female models in general is not really incredible, but still. And last time I checked, not even you knew about her true identity, so I'll have to ask you to step down from your high horse and join us in the "corner of non-knowledge", Mr. McClaren. :irked:

I'm only kidding around, for those who may not understand it. I feel that I must state that when I do this sort of thing. ;)

The only other problem I have with the R8 is the strange choice of tires; why Racing Hard compound? Surely any R8 Gordi owner doesn't really think about using this against any race car, much less a classical one... Besides, tire compounds with lesser grip fit the car's character much better in my opinion, as its RR personality feels more accurate (ergo, it's more lively at the rear).

And here is a new segment which I like to call "Ways to prove that a R8 is better than a Kar-Ghia". Picture #008 will lead the way;

View attachment 435628 (Although just barely. And yes, that is an Integra Type-R behind it, therefore proving that I beat not one but TWO Type-R cars.)
What better way to prove my Sleeper rating that doing something which would require God's miracle to happen with the Kar-Ghia? I'd say this is a pretty good one, gentlemen... ;)

There's a reason why the gordini comes equipped with RH tyres as standard:

This car is actually classified as a rally car. If you go into the "Rally" section of "Recommended Cars", it'll be on the second page.

There's a reason why the gordini comes equipped with RH tyres as standard:

This car is actually classified as a rally car. If you go into the "Rally" section of "Recommended Cars", it'll be on the second page.

Still, it's an odd decision. I am aware that most Rally cars come with Racing tires stock, but why do they not come with Dirt/Spiked Snow tires instead? And the R8 does count as a production car, you can use it on the Classic Sports Car and even the 400PP races... So it's a rally car with a production car license.

Last edited:
I am aware that most Rally cars come with Racing tires stock, but why do they not come with Dirt/Spiked Snow tires instead?

It's because if a car comes with gravel/snow tyres as standard instead of racing tyres, it's only runnable on gravel/snow events instead of vice versa.

Think about it. Would you rather have a rally car come with gravel tyres stock and spend around 16k on RH tyres to use it in IA events? Or come with RH tyres as standard and need to spend only around 4k for gravel tyres to run the Dirt Trials events?

It's because if a car comes with gravel/snow tyres as standard instead of racing tyres, it's only runnable on gravel/snow events instead of vice versa.

Think about it. Would you rather have a rally car come with gravel tyres stock and spend around 16k on RH tyres to use it in IA events? Or come with RH tyres as standard and need to spend only around 4k for gravel tyres to run the Dirt Trials events?

Fair enough, your point is a valid one. It is indeed more useful for a car to come with Racing tires than with Dirt/Snow ones, as there are more races for Racing tires than actual Rally races. And since GT6 doesn't really offer many single-player rally racing, well...

I was watching the broadcast on TV when it happened, so very sad for Justin and his family. RIP.

My thoughts are also with Sage Karam tonight, to go from leading the race with a great shot of winning as a rookie to something like this, the poor kid must be devastated right now.

Back