Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I'm too lazy to scroll up but when the Saturday "Europe Friendly" Event starts?

Somewhere around 9:00PM, GMT+1 time. I do not know which country do you live in, so I don't know which is the correct time schedule around your home country. Of course, Baron (if he is doing the event today) will start a bit earlier to allow people to settle in and chat for a while before the actual racing.

Yep that's right... I'll be on about 3:30pm EST (my time) with racing starting at around 4ish.

Cheers

Alright, good to hear that I did not provide misleading information. :)👍

Also, are we driving the littl'Gordi on the snow this time around? It'd be an even funnier trip than the time when we used the Kar-Ghia... And I'm sure that people would approve of that, regardless of their rallying talent.

The Renault Gordini is one of those cars that's downright deceptive. Styling-wise, the R8 looks like it was designed by a 5 year old that was given a crayon and told to draw a car, and while it may feel like a muscle car compared with the Karmann Ghia, it's not that powerful. And once you have it, you're stuck with the color and the wheels the car came with. Customizers need look elsewhere.

That said, the racing tires it comes equipped with gives the Gordini ample grip in the corners. The rear-engine placement however, is a double edged sword. Take a corner correctly and you can fly through it, but the slightest mistake will send the car into a violent spin as the car exhibits a Porsche 911-like determination to murder its driver.

Now you'd think taking the Renault off the road and into the snow would make it do spins that would be the envy of Olympic figure skaters in every corner. However, if anything the rear-engine arrangement actually does better here, with the weight on the drive wheels helping gain traction on the snow.

It's been difficult coming up with a verdict on this car. To the good, it's performance exceeds it's PP level and it does get the premium treatment. To the not-so-good, it is expensive, and though you do get the race tires standard, you can't use them on any of the offline races the car would be competitive in. Despite that though, the car does enough right that I'll call it a Sleeper.

The Renault Gordini is one of those cars that's downright deceptive. Styling-wise, the R8 looks like it was designed by a 5 year old that was given a crayon and told to draw a car, and while it may feel like a muscle car compared with the Karmann Ghia, it's not that powerful. And once you have it, you're stuck with the color and the wheels the car came with. Customizers need look elsewhere.

That said, the racing tires it comes equipped with gives the Gordini ample grip in the corners. The rear-engine placement however, is a double edged sword. Take a corner correctly and you can fly through it, but the slightest mistake will send the car into a violent spin as the car exhibits a Porsche 911-like determination to murder its driver.

Now you'd think taking the Renault off the road and into the snow would make it do spins that would be the envy of Olympic figure skaters in every corner. However, if anything the rear-engine arrangement actually does better here, with the weight on the drive wheels helping gain traction on the snow.

It's been difficult coming up with a verdict on this car. To the good, it's performance exceeds it's PP level and it does get the premium treatment. To the not-so-good, it is expensive, and though you do get the race tires standard, you can't use them on any of the offline races the car would be competitive in. Despite that though, the car does enough right that I'll call it a Sleeper.
Yaaaaay

Er, @McClarenDesign? Should we know what "rally car" we will drive throughout next week by now? Or has some sort of personal life matter gotten in the way?

Nevertheless, yesterday was indeed of my all-time favorites when it came to Gran Turismo 6 racing in general. It had all I wanted; good drivers, friendly atmosphere and a slow-yet-fun car to join the other two together. In short, it was not something littered with bad Course Maker "jokes" and/or irrational hatred against Vision GT cars, it was fun. And yes, that last word had to be both bolded and underlined, because it seems that most GT6 players (or "former GT6 players", to be precise) have forgotten about the true ideal of a videogame. It is meant to be fun, first and foremost, and its player should be enjoying his/her game without nitpicking every 5 seconds. These races, these COTW races, are one of the reasons why I still frequent this thread. Because people are still enjoying "their" cars, their game, their races.

And with that out of the way, have some pictures from my point of view. Hope you enjoy them;

Apricot Hill Raceway.jpg
Suzuka Circuit.jpg
Suzuka Circuit_1.jpg
Toscana.jpg
Special Stage Route 5.jpg

Final Results of the 1st "Playing with TT's" Event: R8 Gordini Can you master the mountain?

Baron Blitz Red : 1:13.662

McClarenDesign: 1:14.599

Rob On Drums : 1:16.158

JackRyanWMU : 1:18.247

racer2833 : 1:21.333

Cheers

lol I'm horrible at dirt and snow but I try my best at it.

As for the R8 Gordini, I really enjoyed this car and it would be up there with one my other favorite the Alpine A110. The Gordini performs fairly well and the first time I brought it out against the other guys I had a problem of over driving it and having the back come out and cause others to run off track but the next few races I learned that it needs less steering input to keep up the speed. Also it performed well in the rain on slicks as long as you stayed in the dry line you were fine but once you got off the line you were in trouble. Fun little car to drive and if it were to appear in the next GT game I would buy it again and the same with the Alpine A110.

@McClarenDesign I manage to watch one race on twitch on Saturday and it looked pretty good. Hopefully this will happen on Tuesday.

Final Results of the 1st "Playing with TT's" Event: R8 Gordini Can you master the mountain?

Baron Blitz Red : 1:13.662

McClarenDesign: 1:14.599

Rob On Drums : 1:16.158

JackRyanWMU : 1:18.247

racer2833 : 1:21.333

Had to do it, didn't you? Couldn't let me have one little victory, could you? Smh....

It's Leena Brusiin from Finland, miss Europe 1968 :)

The license plates on that car are Finnish too (two letters, a dash, 3 digits, on a black background). The first letter (A) means that the car is from Helsinki city.

As for the car, it's one of my favourites! Can't go wrong with an RR drivetrain!

How did you not see this one coming?

Congratulations eran0004! You're the next victim on The Price Is.... whatwasthat?

Great :D

We'll stay in France for another week, this time for...

I blame myself for this...

pics-max-9174-176119-peugeot-106.jpg

...it's the 2003 Peugeot 106 Rallye!!!

I think the plate says everything I need to. (drops the mic)

*(I'll have the next "Playing With TTs" event up when I get home. Sorry about the delay - daughter's birthday.)

Last edited:
Joke's on you, Brad; if all girl cars were like the Rallye, I'd buy every single one of them.

...actually, it is a girls' car. Just not the sort of girls' car that matches the purse of its owner, but rather the sort of car that would belong to this specific girl;

(Drops the mic) ;)👍

And you have no idea how happy I am with this car being eran's choice. I always wanted to elect one of the 106 in the game, so I am beyond pleased with the Rallye finally getting the spotlight here at COTW. God bless Finland...

Late edit: Oh, and happy birthday wishes to your daughter, may you and your family have a great day and an every better birthday. :)👍 :cheers:

Last edited:
Despite having the fewest PP, the 106 Rallye is my favorite Peugeot in GT6, and it it is important to note that it is not the slowest Peugeot in the game. You can probably guess which one is...

1.6L
101 hp / 6,500 rpm
98 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
890 kg (1,962 lbs)

At Mid-Field on Comfort Softs:

^ Top speed 103 mph

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:36.190 - 381 - Honda City Turbo II '83
1:36.294 - 350 - Honda Fit RS '10
1:36.549 - 364 - Daihatsu Storia X4 '00
1:36.627 - 339 - Nissan Exa Canopy L.A.Version Type S '88
1:36.652 - 349 - Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00
1:36.668 - 338 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
1:36.669 - 348 - Peugeot 106 Rallye '03
1:36.723 - 342 - Isuzu 117Coupé '68
1:36.839 - 349 - Isuzu Piazza XE '81
1:36.842 - 348 - Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70
1:36.918 - 343 - Mini Cooper '02
1:36.918 - 344 - Renault R8 Gordini '66
1:37.019 - 347 - Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69
1:37.168 - 352 - Peugeot 307 CC Premium AVN '04

So it would seem the Mini Cooper '02 is its closest rival, considering it's within 1 year of the Rallye, and is a 3-door hatch with FF drivetrain. The Fiat Punto Abarth is another good choice. And hey look, it's our friend the R8 Gordini saying hello, less than 3 tenths behind the Rallye! And just barely making the cut, at 0.499 seconds behind the Rallye, is Peugeot's own 307 CC Premium AVN '04.

The 106 S16 is over 2 seconds faster than the Rallye. It has 15 more horses, 9 more ft-lbs, and weighs 70 kg more.

I'm calling the Rallye a beater, although it's towards the top of the beater pile, far far away from the bottom.

I wouldn't call the Rallye a beater per say, as it is faster than a newer Mini Cooper. And regardless of how fat that car may be, it's stil impressive for a much older design (yes, the Rallye is a 2003 car, but the 106 had been around for far longer than the BMW Mini) to outrun it. And yes, the Rallye's key problem is power; in corners, it feels better than the S16/GTI, but it simply cannot defeat it in a power battle due to the S16's better-honed 16-valve engine.

In the Rallye's defense, there was one magical time when, in certain countries, Peugeot decided to sneak in the S16's engine inside the engine bay of some chosen Phase 2 Rallyes. Yes, you could very well find a Rallye which hides a very-nifty secret, secret which only arises when you decide to grab it by its neck...

Had to do it, didn't you? Couldn't let me have one little victory, could you? Smh....

I blame myself for this...
(drops the mic)

^^^Kind of says it all quite nicely... ;) :lol:

Well, when we first started racing, you were kind enough to give me hints and tips to get better. See what happens when someone pays attention to what you say?

Hehehehe

Cheers

Last edited:
Well, when we first started racing, you were kind enough to give me hints and tips to get better.

A perfect opportunity to rub salt in his wounds, start giving him tips on how to keep up with you. :sly:

I've been in several 106's and driven one myself over a short distance, my memories of them do not have anything positive whatsoever. Cramped, feels as strong as a soda can, weak engine and pedals made for dwarf's feet. The last one was a major problem, I've got average sized feet and was accidently pressing both the accel/brake and brake/clutch pedals constantly.

Oh and leg room? You can keep dreaming about that too, it's non-existant!

I haven't done this before so I decided to give it a go this time since the 106 Rallye seems like lots of fun, and sure enough it wasn't disappointing! Very lovely car with great handling and very easy to throw around. Autumun Ring is my go-to track for slow cars like this, so I decided to drive it there for some time. It drove really well and I managed somewhere in the 1:38s, can't remember the time exactly. I forgot about it, but after quitting to try anther track I remember that this is the same track for the 350 PP cars :lol:. Considering I was using this car in stock settings and changing gears using the manual shifter on the G27, I'm sure it can be competitive in there :) Maybe not the fastest, but I'm sure it's pretty fast still. Comes with 348 PP stock, so it'll mostly be suspension tuning that will make it faster. Oh and the gears felt a bit long for it's power, so shortening that too will help.

Anyway, after that I tried the long Chamonix track since it's trying to be a rally car haha. And wow! This was seriously the most fun I had rallying in GT6. I never played it much, but it feels so good with this car, probbaly due to its good handling and low power. It's just full of fun. It also doesn't have the usual excessive rattling you usually have when you rally because of the FFB, maybe that's because of the lower power or weight? I kept playing for about 20 minutes there, beating myself by some seconds every time, proving that I never rally :P, but at the end I managed to get the hang of it. Maybe a low PP rally race can be lots of fun...

First of all, nice short review, rehdhogg, it was a fun read. 👍 Secondly, the Rallye was meant to be a homolgation car for rally racing (duh), so it should do well when things get dirty (keep your minds out of the gutter, silly people, I'm refering to the rally racing bits). And according to you, it passes that test with flying colors, which is great.

Again, speed isn't really its thing, but around tracks with many corners, the 106 feels so good to drive it's not even funny. It is a blast however, and that's what makes this car so great. If you want a bit more spunk, the S16 will always be there to help, so not all is lost if you want more powaaah. ;)

LATE ANNOUNCEMENT

@Vic Reign93 has graciously agreed to host the room tonight so that I can focus my limited, puny American resources on broadcasting via Twitch. AGS and the usual fun still applies, but the room will be in the community lobby, not the public lobby that everyone is used to. The reason for this is my stacked routers prohibit me from entering in a specific room number. If all goes well, we'll continue with this format each week, including on Saturdays (only with @Baron Blitz Red as our host).

If you'd like to watch the race while you race in the race (cause yo, dawg, I know how you roll), you can find the stream at: http://www.twitch.tv/mcclarendesign/profile

Back