Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Great story @Niku Driver HC, after having read it feels almost as been there! đź‘Ť I have to chime in your praise of enjoying online racing and appreciation of the special traits each game has to offer. :cheers: And yes, the tire trick feels like pulling the fangs of the Stratos and might well get you a verdict of car cruelty by some, but imho having a little more wiggle room to correct errors can give you the confidence to try to tame the unmuzzled beast. :D

Get well soon @Baron Blitz Red, take care of yourself! Take your time to fully recover, i'd be glad to see you when you are running on all cylinders again! :cheers:

Circuito%2Bdi%2BRoma.jpg
What color is that?

I drove mine tonight, 425pp, tuned with RS and SRF. Not bad, but not nearly as good as my 1970 Skyline.

Great write up, Niku, with great shots. Well done!

But as you'll see in your photos, my car is number 31, not 33. I look forward to a rematch, though I'm sure you'll find that you little Bluebird is no match for my. Even with help, you'd only be a flock...

With mine... we're a MURDER.

Thank you so much, McClaren. If there is one thing I greatly value, is written feedback, no matter how small it is. And your words count as such feedback, so I'm very thankful that you recognize quality in both my text and pictures. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading my write up, and that you did not skim anything over. It's worth reading, trust me. :)đź‘Ť As for the mistake, it was a result of me having to focus too much on the picture order and race events, consider that mishap fixed.

A MURDER, huh? Hahaha, in the words of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson;

Bring It. I will not back down from your challenge, my esteemed Sauber fan of a friend. There is a Bluebird in my wide array of cars, and while that was once used for a strange round of "GT6 Banger Racing", I will bring her back up to mint condition to bring you the Ultimate Challenge (trademark here). You are a Raven, I am a Bounty Hunter, like this person;

No, wait, that's the wrong Bounty Hunter song! Ah well, it suits me, my personality is half Latin with a dash of Japanese that doesn't fit my nationality, so why not? And I think I found a suitable nickname for my car...

Rika and I will be waiting, Brad. Let's have a true Wild West duel... :mischievous:

Oh, and how could I forget, welcome back, @Baron Blitz Red!

Man, it's great to hear that you are ok, and that you are touched by our concern. Take your time to recover, heart attacks are no joke, and paraphrasing Heero Yuy, "they hurt like hell". The good news have already been brought by you just showing up and explaining what did happen and why was it so sudden. Hopefully we will never have to deal with it again, and you can live with calmness and good health. Thank God I was right when I spoke about you possibly coming here and explaining the whole shtick to us lot, to clarify things. Good luck, and wishes of a speedy recovery. :cheers:

I'm relieved that @Baron Blitz Red is back and recovering. I'm definitely not looking forward to my first heart attack. I don't eat enough vegetables :scared: I feel like heart problems are going to be an even larger issue for the generation that's growing up today. When I was a kid in the early 90s, the internet barely existed, almost nobody had a cell phone, and kids crowded the streets after school to play sports or ride bicycles. I go for a bike ride these days and rarely see any kids outside. It's a little disconcerting. Anyway, enough of my depressing rant. Baron's back, so let's get back to business!

It's a bird! It's a car! It's Nissan Bluebird!

Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe (510) '69
1.6L
90 hp / 6,000 rpm
95 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
930 kg (2,050 lbs)
320 pp

^Top speed - 97 mph on the back straight, 1 mph faster than the front straight.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:41.133 - 313 - Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4 '01
1:41.138 - 321 - Mercedes-Benz A 160 Avantgarde '98
1:41.306 - 339 - Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95
1:41.565 - 320 - Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe (510) '69
1:41.565 - 317 - Nissan Silvia (CSP311) '65
1:41.576 - 334 - Nissan Leaf G '11
1:41.791 - 313 - Daihatsu OFC-1 '07
1:41.876 - 324 - Scion xB '03
1:41.899 - 326 - Suzuki Cappuccino (EA11R) '91

Besides the Silvia which finished its lap in exactly the same time as the Bluebird, the oldest car in the group is 22 years newer. Also, the Bluebird is 3 whole seconds quicker than the Honda S800 '66. In that context, it is a total sleeper.

There are two other Bluebirds in GT6, for further reference:

1:34.755 - 355 - Nissan Bluebird Rally Car (510) '69
1:39.836 - 327 - Nissan Bluebird 1800SSS (910) '79

What color is that?

I drove mine tonight, 425pp, tuned with RS and SRF. Not bad, but not nearly as good as my 1970 Skyline.

Looks like the "default" paint, or "glitch" paint. Used to happen when you painted something with Sonic Mica Blue when the game first came out, now it happens when you use a paint chip from the Peugeot VGT, the red one specifically I think.

Also great to hear you are still with us @Baron Blitz Red, what a scary experience that must have been and I and all the others here wish you a speedy recovery.

Hey hey people!

Just got back to the land of the living, and who do I run into??? (internet wise) @McClarenDesign . I've just been reading a slew of posts, and wanted to say THANK YOU to one and all for your concern and kind words about me. Here I was thinking no-one would notice my absence, but thanks for proving me wrong people! đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I've suffered a pretty major heart attack, but hope to return as soon as I can to my regular status here among you speed demons. Hope I remember how to drive! Seems like I missed quite a bit lately, and hope to get up to speed soon.

Please forgive my sudden unintended departure, but like a certain commercial says, they don't come with a warning. Be patient with me for the first little bit, it might take a bit of getting used to things again... but needless to say, it was heart warming to see that people care! Hope to see you soon, "Racing at the Speed of Life".

Cheers
Good to see you back!

What color is that?

Red# 743 is the name of the color.

A MURDER, huh? Hahaha, in the words of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson;

Bring It. I will not back down from your challenge, my esteemed Sauber fan of a friend.

You know what else The Rock said?

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ROCK SAID!

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes! I can't convey how much it means to me... suffice to say it's very much appreciated. "It does the heart good" is just one of the expressions that come to mind. ;)

I just did the latest TT, and looks like I need some practice... to say the least. All in time I guess!

Again, thanks to all for the kind words. I'll have to go back and hit the like button for a few pages worth of posts, just to say thanks in a different way.

Cheers to all!

You know what else The Rock said?

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ROCK SAID!

Surely you are misquoting his words, no? I believe it does matter... except when he's a tooth fairy, that doesn't count. :sly: :lol:

Again, thanks to all for the kind words. I'll have to go back and hit the like button for a few pages worth of posts, just to say thanks in a different way.

Cheers to all!

So that's why half my alerts feed today was you liking my posts here... hey, thanks for clogging my feed, smart alec.

Haha, just kidding, thanks for the kind words as well, Baron. Much appreciated. đź‘Ť

Well, @McClarenDesign, I couldn't go without making the proper introductions, after you presented "Raven" to me in such a sudden fashion. So, without further ado, please welcome my own personal steed for the Bluebird week;

Suzuka Circuit East Course.jpg

Ravens are fierce beasts for sure, but sometime all you need is a honest and cute smile. After all, it's "fun and games", not just "games".

Oh, and a pair of Wild West revolvers alongside a giant robot won't hurt matters, of course. :sly:

Seeing as you guys decided to give your cars their own personalities, I'm throwing my hat into the ring.:D

@Niku Driver HC went with a Anime character, @McClarenDesign went with a bird often referenced with ill omens and death.

Me? I decided to base my cars personality on a real life speed demon who drove a car also called BlueBird. :sly:

image.jpeg

Yep, if you haven't already guessed, it is of course Sir Malcolm Campbell. :bowdown:

The first man to drive an automobile over 300mph back in 1935 as well 9 land speed records and 4 water speed records. :drool:

His son Donald Campbell, also broke speed records and became the first and only person to break the water speed and land speed record in the same year. :eek:

If you talk about speed demons, the Campbell family are one very tough act to follow. :cheers:

Ahem, sir @Vic Reign93, my character is not an "Anime character". She is a videogame character who happens to look very anime in the process. Mind your saying, chap. :sly:

But yes, what an interesting Saturday this one is shaping up to be, huh? And I was going to do the Power Rangers joke, before I realized that McClaren had beat me to the punch with his own "3 + 2 = giant mech". Curse you and your good timing! :irked: :lol: Mind you, if someone could bring a red (I'm sure that your young Padwan Baron Red can bring the goods), a yellow and a pink Bluebird, we could really have a full Spandex Squadron.

Besides, it would tie in wonderfully with a certain thing which happened recently;

See? It's asking for it; our car is a Nissan, correct? Therefore, Nissan » Nissan-Renault Group » Infiniti » Underperfoming Infiniti-badged F1 V6 engines » Red Bull » Super Sentai (as the original concept for the Power Rangers is known) » Japanese tie-ins. Genius comedy timing, I'm tellin' ya!

See? It's asking for it; our car is a Nissan, correct? Therefore, Nissan » Nissan-Renault Group » Infiniti » Underperfoming Infiniti-badged F1 V6 engines » Red Bull » Super Sentai (as the original concept for the Power Rangers is known) » Japanese tie-ins. Genius comedy timing, I'm tellin' ya!
Is this where I threaten to quit if I don't get my way?

You could always play the role of the Vettel and claim that you got a bigger and fatter cheque from Maranello, to drive a podium-capable Ferrari...

I'd never deprive my teammate of a deserved win. Even I know what Multi21 means.

I also drive The BOO Bus in my free time. GTPlanet, sadly, forbids me from properly describing how I feel about him in the AUP.

I'd never deprive my teammate of a deserved win. Even I know what Multi21 means.

I also drive The BOO Bus in my free time. GTPlanet, sadly, forbids me from properly describing how I feel about him in the AUP.

Ah yes, the famed BOO Bus (trademark McClaren Design circa 2000-whatever 'cause I don't know when you started it), how could I forget? Perhaps it wasn't the right joke to use here, my attempt at comedy was off the mark.

On the plus side, you can breathe in relief that the Bluebird does not have a Renault engine, therefore it won't dissapoint us when we are expecting to have a good race perfomance. Although it is a bit on the gutless side, it is no Kar-Ghia levels of gutless either.

Well, I'm double posting again, it seems... Hey, at least I admit it in advance that it's a meaningful double post, if anything.

As for next week, I'll have a harder time finding time to practice, as university will officially start this Monday for yours truly. So, from now on, the time for practice will have to be halved in half (if not more) for the sake of studying and the classes which lead to said studying. I still have my Saturdays free from this world of university, but obviously my preparation may not be so good depending on the work which has to be done.

Special Stage Route 7.jpg

Last night's races were hurt somewhat by the lack of drivers at the beginning portions where I raced, I have to say. Yes, McClaren did start the lobby late due to an alarm mishap, but he still started it nonetheless. However, most of the time it was only us three (Vic, McClaren and myself), and only in the last races where I participated better drivers were joining (better than the first races at least, since the only non-COTW driver during the early part of the lobby drove erratically during the first race and didn't really bring much in terms of clean racing for the other races that he did, I have to say). The field was a bit too small for a Saturday session, and a car like the Bluebird would provide better racing in a more lively enviroment. Much like the Karmann-Ghia or the R8 Gordini, it's a car which can be better appreciated in larger groups of drivers. Think of it as a one-make for car for 10-driver-plus fields.
I understand that most of you are also beginning to have school/university concerns to deal with, but that should not stop you from joining some races from time to time and take some time off to have enjoyable racing sessions. Even if you're not a fast driver, that doesn't mean that there aren't drivers who you can race against. COTW is a wide field of drivers, from slower people to @Vic Reign93-type people (:sly:), so there are different classes of drivers within the same car.

Suzuka Circuit 2014.jpg

And the Bluebird? Well, I do not hate it outright, but these low PP-rating cars have always been a shaky relationship with me. I admire its plucky behavior and surprisingly lively (for a 1960's sedan) rear end, don't get me wrong, but it needs a bit more spark behind its delivery for me to be more entertained by its drive. The car is fundamentally sound when it comes to driving, since the handling is mostly stable with a dash of understeer from time to time and the engine has some grunt behind it, but it could do with some minor upgrades. I do not mean large-sized turbos or henious-looking rear wings, I mean more subtle touches such as a better clutch, a close-ranged transmission and some tinkering with weight balance, in order to minimize the 'Bird's penchant for nose-heavy handling. It is a classic car after all, so you do not have to be shouty about the way you customize it (this coming from a guy who painted his car in bright green with red Torq-Thrust rims, I know). It is not a terrible car to drive, it just needs a slightly bigger kick in the rear to spruce up a bit and be more open-minded. It needs a slighly more "modern spice" approach, you know?
The other issue is that the market for classic Nissan cars is a tough one to be in; there is one car which outruns and outprices the Bluebird, a car who acts as the father for one of Japan's greatest royal families, a family which has a 50-race destroyer amongst its early branch of ye ol'tree. I believe you know which family I am refering to, yes?

Gemasolar_2.jpg

My personal Nissan Bluebird, "Rika" and the 1967 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-B

Yup, it is none other than the great Skyline family, or in this particular case, the oldest grandfather; the 1967 Skyline GT-B. It is a heavier car, and it is indeed a larger one as well, but it also comes with more of the engine and drivetrain bits. 123 horsepower from a "borrowed" Gloria engine, a more proper 5-speed transmission (against the Bluebird's 4-speed) and a racing history which includes a one lap gutsy battle against a downright racecar in the form of Porsche's 904 during one infamous race in the Japanece track simply known as Fuji Speedway. While it is somewhat nose-heavy, mostly thanks to the larger engine which rests underneath its hood, the GT-B leans more on its sporty side than the B'Bird, as it is the sporty version of the Skyline from its era while the Bluebird we drove was the more luxurious side of the Bird's range (typical PD thinking, which states the existence of the SSS and its Porsche 4-speed gearbox but doesn't actually have the actual 1960's SSS in hand for the game, at work here). And if you are willing to part ways with more money, 80,000 credits to be precise, you could have yourself the ultimate vintage Skyline in the form of the legendary Hakosuka GT-R, a car which doesn't really need a presentation to be well-known around here. 160 hp, a racing rapsheet which spreads itself amongst Japanese car history... It has the whole works, and it is one the best classic 1960's Nissans in GT6.

The Bird was the word yesterday, it's just a shame that the word didn't spread out further and called for more bird handlers... Hopefully the beauty which will be called for this week can attract more folks out with its sheer beauty. Recommended reading? Maybe this;

quadrifoglio-deux-vol-4-englis-153dd4-h900.jpg

And yes, I already know what you are up to, Mr. McClaren. Or should I say...

Deep Forest Raceway.jpg

Mr. Robinson? :sly:

However, most of the time it was only us three (Vic, McClaren and myself), and only in the last races where I participated better drivers were joining (better than the first races at least, since the only non-COTW driver during the early part of the lobby drove erratically during the first race and didn't really bring much in terms of clean racing for the other races that he did, I have to say).

That was actually Sebastian Campbell, Jerrad Campbell's (husbando on the PSN) 4-year-old son. When I said that we cater to all skill levels, we (expletive) cater to all (expletive) skill levels! Hopefully we'll be seeing more of him each Saturday, and Jerrad will occasionally be driving as well.

And yes, I already know what you are up to, Mr. McClaren. Or should I say... Mr. Robinson?

Yeah... about that. Seems I was a tad mistaken... but I'm glad you were paying attention and knew where to go for the answer. I'll go ahead and give you the points due to my error.

Most certainly a sleeper - I race one in a league race, 400pp, sports/hard, 1970 or before. It's excellent!

Many replays of it kicking about too, but I'll not self promote (...my bad driving).

Congratulations Andyc709292! Your hard work and uncanny foresight have earned you this week's choice of our Car of the Week.

I'll go with this:

alfa_romeo_147_gta_02.jpg

It's the 2002 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA!!!

If nothing else Clarkson's review of it in Top Gear is a hoot.

Top Gear just isn't Top Gear without Clarkson. I can't bring myself to support whatever comes next, it just won't be the same.

Jeremy Clarkson
This car is insane, but that's okay because you'd have to be insane to buy one.

Sounds like our cup of tea! And speaking of tea, congratulations to @Lewis_Hamilton_ for taking 1st place in last week's Playing With TTs! with a time of 1:40.438! This week's Time Trial has already been created and will be open shortly. Good luck to all that participate.

Oh, and one more thing...

- Special Announcement -
Is there anyone here that is currently, or has in the past had experience with creating yearbooks, be it high school or other? If so, please send me a private message with a brief description of your experience.

Last edited:
Well, now I feel bad for criticizing the person who was driving as "husbando"... Indeed, all skill levels are catered in COTW, and by God you shall cling to that notion with all your might. Thanks for clarifying that for me, much appreciated.

Also, oi, you mislead me on this week's guess! Ah, don't worry, I am jesting, at least I got the wrong guess right. And you recognize that much, so no harm done. ;)đź‘Ť

The whole "recommended reading" thing still stands, however...

Hey guys, d'ya recognize me? Perhaps my avatar gives it away. I'm no longer the Star of Suzuka. No. From this point forward, until GT7 is released, you will know me as the MidFieldMaven! A member here, who may wish to remain anonymous (I have thanked them in private) gifted me a Premium account. Seriously, one of the coolest things to happen to me in a while and I'm extremely grateful to them.

Let's get into the Alfa Romeo 147 Grand Theft Auto edition, I mean GTA :lol:

3.2L
246 hp / 6,000 rpm
221 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,360 kg (2,998 lbs)
427 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds (I wanted to include the Chrysler Crossfire and Audi TT, since they also have 3.2L):

1:27.460 - 417 - Chrysler Crossfire '04
1:27.489 - 407 - Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
1:27.530 - 414 - Honda Civic Type R '08
1:27.539 - 414 - Honda Civic Type R (EP) '04
1:27.548 - 422 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 300GT '01
1:27.603 - 434 - Toyota Aristo 3.0V '91
1:27.613 - 439 - Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
1:27.762 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95
1:27.790 - 428 - Volkswagen Golf VI R '10
1:27.802 - 429 - Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
1:27.817 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
1:27.818 - 428 - Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
1:27.820 - 405 - DMC Delorean S2 '04
1:27.835 - 461 - Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
1:27.842 - 420 - BMW Z4 '03
1:27.847 - 421 - Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
1:27.861 - 435 - Subaru Legacy B4 RSK '98
1:27.892 - 426 - Mazda MX-Crossport '05
1:27.899 - 422 - Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
1:27.913 - 456 - Mercedes-Benz CL 600 '00
1:27.914 - 406 - Mazda RX-8 '03
1:27.964 - 427 - Alfa Romeo 147 GTA '02
1:27.991 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
1:28.115 - 424 - Audi A3 3.2 Quattro '03
1:28.167 - 405 - Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99
1:28.195 - 405 - Honda Civic Type R (EP, EU) '01
1:28.217 - 423 - Volkswagen Golf IV R32 '03
1:28.224 - 411 - Lotus Elise '00
1:28.228 - 442 - Ford SVT F-150 Lightning '03
1:28.294 - 409 - Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) '89
1:28.297 - 407 - Toyota 86 GT '12
1:28.304 - 415 - Ford Focus ST '06
1:28.330 - 402 - Mazda Kusabi '03
1:28.336 - 407 - Toyota 86 "Racing" '13
1:28.350 - 408 - Mazda RX-8 Type E '03
1:28.422 - 402 - Acura RSX Type-S '04
1:28.445 - 424 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
1:28.498 - 421 - Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '03

The 147 GTA is slightly faster than the Audi A3 and VW Golf R32. All three are pretty good sleepers that blend in perfectly with all other grocery-getting hatchbacks. It does exhibit quite a bit of understeer, but that's to be expected when you ask a 3,000 lb machine to attack all the apexes with 250 horses and 220 ft-lbs going to the turning wheels.

^ Top speed reached - 129 mph.

Back