Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

note to myself : paint my car in crazy schemes so i can recognize in the pics... lol

Yep you learn to customize or make your car different from everyone else so you can spot it in pictures or replays. It would be nice if PD would make a livery editor for GT7 so we could make our own livery's for ours cars and make it easier to distinguish in races. Also the number plate makes it easier for races but not every car has it.

Yes, good times all around. Fantastic fun, everywhere, but I'm afraid it's time to move away from the beloved S13.

Congratulations Fire Yoshi!

I had fun racing with the CoTW group yesterday. Wish I would have had a Sileighty too at the time!

When you did grab a Sileighty you became a threat.

I noticed this today haha. I managed to get at least one win this time so I'm satisfied!

Now, let's see what you've selected for us to drive...

Ah, thank you.
I didn't seem to find it on the list, so I choose the...

Screen-shot-2011-09-21-at-4.29.05-PM.jpg

...it's the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5)!

We've driven the C4 previously...

Yes, I chose the standard model over the premium.
Why? Because this car holds a very special place in my heart, thanks to Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2. :)
I know other HP2 cars exist in the game such as the '00 Elise and 00 Cobra R, but the Cobra R was already selected, and I like the '00 C5 better than the '00 Elise.

Thanks for selecting me!

Well earned. Speaking of well earned, congratulations to @Vic Reign93 for taking the win on our weekly Playing With TTs! Time Trial event, with a stunning 4:57.040, 6 seconds faster than the nearest competitor! This week, by demand, features the deadly Mt. Fusterkluc with one big catch... Any idiot can pilot the road car around a track, let's see if any idiot can manage the '00 Z06 C5-R around! Excuses may be filed at the finish line, ladies.

An 'Murican car through and through, it's time to grab an apple pie, strap in and smoke those tires like tomorrow was Independence Day! And you thought the Mix-eighty was a drifting car, you have seen nothin' yet...

As for your COTW Video of the Week, I'd say this one is quite fitting and interesting. If you're a brave man, and are willing to accept this mission, be sure to watch this in full, to sample the true ZO6 experience for rookie owners;

(Yeah, it's a VHS, I know. GM may have been improving the Corvette at the time with modernism, but they were still somewhat arcaic in everything else...)​

Enjoy the film, folks. ;)👍
Also, as usual, that challenge is properly devious, McClaren. Typical you, haha...

Last edited:
I was an idiot... @McClarenDesign tricked me :P

My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-10-18 22-29-04.png

Oh look i bought my cool looking 00's Vette in Millennium Yellow...
And let's spend some money on oil changing it because it's an important thing to do....annnd maybe change the paint?
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-10-18 22-29-44.png

Okay..time to take the time trial challen.....wait...
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-10-18 22-28-26.png

Vette C5-R!?!? :ouch::banghead: I'm pretty sure it was the road one...NOT THE RACE... *Checks GTP* ...oh....kay...:dunce:

But i don't want to spend almost everything i got right now for a Vette that i won't use after...

My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-10-18 22-29-19.png

:indiff:

Yep you learn to customize or make your car different from everyone else so you can spot it in pictures or replays. It would be nice if PD would make a livery editor for GT7 so we could make our own livery's for ours cars and make it easier to distinguish in races. Also the number plate makes it easier for races but not every car has it.
A livery editor is a must for gt7!

With a Corvette, it's the only way to enjoy driving; no concern, no elegance, just trash that son of a gun until the brakes catch fire or something along those lines...

(insert "GM Recall" joke of your choice here)

I'm only going to say this a few more thousand times... Not a supercar.

So the next chance I have to race with you all is Tuesday? Where do you guys race anyway?

I may be online during the week, and if so you're always welcome to join. Tuesday is the next officially scheduled time for the group and public.

Last edited:

It can still keep up with a Ferrari, if anything...

(Yes, I know, it's about as elegant as a greasy hotdog that is being served in some sleazy joint of 48th Street, but you can't deny it has some speed to it. Not a supercar? Possibly, but it's still good for some fast driving, you got to admit...)

I agree. I like the term "Supercar Killer" a hell of a lot more. :P

Learning of this week's selection was akin to a "Kid on Christmas Morning" feeling for me, though I am going to call an audible and use the premium '04 that's already in my collection rather than buying the standard '00 model. It's one of my favorites to use in 500 pp seasonals, and in honor of the selection I'm running a Corvette Racing number as well as wearing the outfit of a driver who has driven the Corvette race car before.

And going to add this to the video collection: The racing hero of my youth piloting the iconic C5R.

Last edited:
I agree. I like the term "Supercar Killer" a hell of a lot more.

Designed and built by accountants. Accountants can't produce supercars.

So I should send a friend request to you then, so I can find you guys faster? My PSN is the same as my GTP name, so you can do the same too.

That'll work. If my list is full just send me a message on the PSN and I'll clear a spot for ya.

Last edited:
That'll work. If my list is full just send me a message on the PSN and I'll clear a spot for ya.

You're probably talking about your PSN list, however... Judging by the full rooms during CoTW, with people Ted Thomas-ing out and new names coming straight in, plus the fact more people want to join in from here, looks like there are going to be times when two rooms are needed.

hey guys how do i try the Playing With TTs! Time Trial event?

Join @McClarenDesign 's Car Of The Week club in the community section of GT6, you'll find them in there after you've joined.

Will have to check out Mt Fusterkluck myself and see how it compares to the GT5 version.

Lastly, shameless promotion for my own tracks in my signature. They're fun, I swear!

Would you look at that, so many people sharing Z06 videos... Lay off, that's my gimmick, I started the revolution!

I kid, I kid, the beauty of COTW is that everyone can share their favorite piece of media about the car, regardless of what that media might be. 👍

From experience, I've found that Corvettes fit this grey area between muscle car and supercar. Some models move towards the latter (C7, Z06s, etc.) while the rest move towards the former (C3, C4, ZR1).

Precisely, that's what makes the Corvette so interesting as a car; it tried to please two different types of crowd, while catering to its own brand's expectations at the same time. Although now that the term "muscle car" is slowly losing its unique position, perhaps it would be fairer to claim that the 'Vette treads the line between sports car and supercar...

I agree. I like the term "Supercar Killer" a hell of a lot more. :P

"raises hand awaiting a high-five from Jack" I like the way this guy thinks. :cheers:

You can argue about the "accountants image", you can argue about the engine overheating and power losing issues, but when the C7 ZO6 works properly, all that goes out the window. That can indeed kill supercars dead, or at least be a more than even match for them. And isn't that wonderful for a car which can cost you only a fraction of a Mclaren? :D

Also, do you have that magazine yourself, Jack? I'd like to see it, if you could share more pictures of the 'Vette's article...

Hey, I just joined your club in the community and I have a question. Are we allowed to do the "Playing with TTs" by ourselves or do we do them as a group?

You can do it by yourself, since you have to open a club lobby in order to set a time. Of course, if people join said lobby during your attempt, the more the merrier, as they say... ;)

My video illustrating the problems I had in the lobby on Saturday - any of you who were there will probably remember : If you weren't racing or would like to know more the video description contains all the details.

So, if you thought I was driving like a ****, now you know :P

I feel bad about you...getting blamed for being a reckless dirty driver when you're suffering a well known GT6 Online Bug... something which been annoying everyone since a long time ago...!

I feel bad about you...getting blamed for being a reckless dirty driver when you're suffering a well known GT6 Online Bug... something which been annoying everyone since a long time ago...!

The guys were pretty understanding for the most part, although I think one or two may not have realized that there was a technical problem. McD knows I'm slow but hopefully he also knows I'm nothing if not clean (ish) :)

I just spent a solid hour with this 'Vette at Mid-Field Raceway, and while I went into the experience with feelings of excitement and confidence, I came out of it with feelings of disappointment and frustration. Let me explain...

Understeer. You're going to see a lot of it. With a weight distribution of 53/47, the Z06 could use some more weight in the back. It has quick and sharp turn-in abilities, but can't hold the line whether you're on the gas or not. The only time I kicked the back end out was in slow, tight corners when the sheer amount of torque helped shimmy the car towards the apex.

Z06 means business in a straight line. A maximum speed of 150 mph on the front straight is certainly nothing to scoff at. Overall, the Z06 feels like a muscle car for the 21st century. Not a supercar by any means, and not a sports car because it can't corner at least as well as it can accelerate. I hear things are different for the C6 and C7 versions. Maybe they worked out the kinks 💡

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '00
378 hp / 6,000 rpm
358 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,409 kg (3,106 lbs)

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:19.452 - 522 - Ferrari California '08
1:19.454 - 558 - Ford Shelby GT500 '13
1:19.460 - 477 - Opera Performance S2000 '04
1:19.461 - 526 - RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87
1:19.475 - 516 - SRT Viper GTS '02
1:19.551 - 512 - Mine's Lancer Evolution VI '00
1:19.573 - 497 - BMW M3 GTR '03
1:19.593 - 486 - Shelby Series One Supercharged '03
1:19.598 - 513 - BMW M5 '08
1:19.612 - 521 - Aston Martin V12 Vantage '10
1:19.743 - 493 - Lotus Esprit Sport 350 '00
1:19.880 - 490 - BMW M3 CSL '03
1:19.885 - 531 - High End Performance G37
1:19.890 - 483 - Spoon S2000 Race Car '00
1:19.894 - 500 - TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
1:19.900 - 497 - TVR Tamora '02
1:19.952 - 504 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '00
1:19.989 - 500 - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione '08
1:20.207 - 474 - Mazda RX500 '70
1:20.404 - 483 - Oullim Motors Spirra Prototype '04
1:20.418 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 '02
1:20.423 - 488 - Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac Rally Car

Both the TVR Tamora and especially the Tuscan Speed 6 are prime targets for this car. Perhaps the Lotus Esprit's as well. The Viper '02 is half a second quicker.

I wanted to like the Z06, but its understeer quality in stock form just ruins the car for me. It needed more oversteer dialed in. With upgraded suspension, this car would be a dream to drive. As it stands, BEATER :scared: :sly:

It's sad that the Callaway C12, an upgraded C5, is considerably slower than the Vette.

It seems that the additional luxuries of the Callaway brought the C5's performance aspect down too much, sadly... It's a shame, really, the C12 had quite the potential to impress.

And if there's anything from Maven's fine car testing job which I can confirm already, it's the improvements made to both the C6 and the C7; I was so surprised by the C6 blatant liveliness in its rear end when I drove it, that I thought for a second the car had become worse than the C5. And the C7, with its modern suspension layout, perfect weight balance and smooth gearbox, is the pinnacle of the 'Vette's legacy (so far, at least)... If only we had the C7 Z06 in our virtual grasp, we could make a very good comparison between three different generations of one big family.

Last edited:
Back