Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

So we're on for tonight? I'll be there. 10:00 pm Central in the club room, right?
The Tuesday races will be in a public lobby. If needs be just message me on the PSN and I'll reply with the room number. The Time Trials are in the club room, simply sign up, open a room and run the event. I'll try to have a room up by 9:30p CST so everyone can practice.

We may need to open up multiple rooms. If so, volunteers will be asked to switch along with whomever hosts.

The Vette and Gran Turismo.

The C5 Corvette Z06 first appeared in Gran Turismo 3. It was featured in a licence test which required you to drive in a looping circle for a few laps, and it earned the title of being an iconic car throughout the series. It kind of lost its luster in GT4 because a lot more cars became available in the series, but thanks to @Fire Yoshi this car is about to be brought back to life and reviewed by yours truly.

The looks.

I'm gonna start this review by saying that this is one of the better looking standard cars. The C5 is in my opinion the tamest looking Vette ever made. It keeps the Corvette tradition by having the four rear tailights and is the last generation to have the pop up headlamps. Looking at it from the side it looks quite relaxed and smooth with no sharp lines.

Under the hood.

The '00 Z06 packs a mighty 5,665 cc engine with an output of 379 HP and 358 ft-lb if torque. It is naturally aspirated and has a weight of a hefty 1,409 kg. The transmission has an unusually short 5th gear and an unusually long 6th gear. The price of this car is reasonable, at $53,570.

Acceleration Test.

• 0-60: 3.733 seconds
  • 0-100: 10.016 seconds
  • 400m: 12.133 seconds
  • 1000m: 22.366 seconds
  • Top speed: Over 210 mph
Biggest thing on acceleration is that the car struggles to gain speed in 6th gear. Didn't get even close to the top speed but I'm gonna guess it's somewhere around 230mph, which is way over the real life top speed.

Track Test.

I decided to test the Vette on the infamous Laguna Seca. I used no driver aids other than ABS: 1. First thing I noticed was that there was some understeer that was gonna have to be dealt with. Slightly early braking was required too, but once I got the feel of the car it became fun and comfortable. Coming from a Ford guy myself this is one of my more enjoyable Cheverolets to drive. After a test of three laps, I ended up getting a time of 1:36.761.

The Verdict.

Hmm, do I choose the more powerful '04 Vette or the '00. It really comes down to choosing premium or standard, which is probably why not very many people use this car. I'm gonna give it a sleeper rating because it is capable of beating its younger brother as well as enjoying the drive.

Last edited:
Truth be told, the C5 Z was designed by proper race care drivers - the chief engineer for the Corvette program actually raced C5 Corvettes while the car was a current model - The C5Z was really built for and by race car drivers :)

Doesn't explain the plastic bumpers or cheap interior.

I honestly don't care what people think about it. The Cobra R is always going to be one of my all time favorite cars. I drive it as much as I can in any game that it's in. :)
I have a pretty decent tune for it on GT6 that does well in 500PP races. ;)

I'm with you on this one. I, too, love the Cobra R.

Doesn't explain the plastic bumpers or cheap interior.

Pretty typical misinterpretation of facts :)

Deformable bumpers are a federal mandate - every vehicle of the era has a plastic/deformable overlay that deforms to survive the mandate 4mph impact test. The actual bumper bar is steel covered with high density impact foam.

I am guessing you have never put pressure on a 2000 Cobra R in person - those front and rear plastic bumper covers also deform when pushed - as required by federal mandate.

As do BMW M3 bumper covers ad even the worshipped Ferrari 360.

The interior... again misunderstanding of car manufacturing - have you ever actually sat inside a 2000 era Porsche or BMW or even Mercedes or Ferrari and observed the interior component materials and construction? Clue to the clueless, the very same component manufacturers molded Toyota, Ford, Mazda, VW, Fiat, Dodge and GM interior bits and pieces.

Some manufactures then take these PLASTIC pieces and may glue some leather or leather-like material over them - but the actual interior pieces and assembly methods are the same.

The final sale price of the vehicles in question reflect these details quite accurately.

Another Vette to Forget...

Unlike some people in this thread, when I saw this week's pick, I bowed my head... in disgust. "OH NO!" was my first thought. We already did the non-explosive C4 and now we get to the ugliest one of them all, the C5. People who like this version must just love Kim Kardashian and this song:

Like seriously... hang your head in shame! :lol:

FYMe8Tt.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Corvette at all. Sure there are some models that I like more than the others, but as a whole, this is a car I could do without. Period. If I were rich in real life, you'd have to pay me to have one in my collection. It certainly doesn't help that I almost died in one, in real life many years ago. As a North American however, you can't escape the aura of the Vette, as it was America's Sport Car for the longest of times.

So going into this week, I already had it pegged as a Beater. This week's Playing with TT's event showcased the C5R... a car I was REFUSING to buy just because it only came in yellow. Of all the colours on this planet, yellow is my most hated, especially on cars. But I bought it anyways, cause I had decent memories of the C5R in other Gran Turismo's, and I had 50 Million in the bank. Another race car is always a good thing, even if it is yellow... :yuck:.

Come Tuesday, it was time to turn my attention to the road car edition. I had 2 of the premium 2004's. One I bought just to add to my premium car collection, the other I won in a Seasonal TT event some time back. Both were collecting dust just like a bunch of cars in my stockyard. There was only 1 or 2 PP difference between the 2000 and the 2004 anyways, so no need to buy the 2000 I said. So I sold the one I could sell, and used the one I couldn't. Having done Mt. Fusterkluc in the C5R, I took it there for a true comparison.

4FEqcJz.jpg

Expecting absolutely nothing, I fire it up and launched down the road. The C5R is a true race car and can actually spell downforce, let alone have it. The Z06 I was now in, I eased into the turns and curves expecting to die horribly. To my surprise, I didn't turn into somebody's BBQ dinner. Hmmm, ok push it a bit harder... still alive. As an auto gear guy in GT6, I also noticed the stock tranny/diff combo wasn't that bad either. After a few practice laps, I was comfy enough to say I was ready for the night of racing against the crew.

So after last night's racing, I must admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be... but would I call it a Sleeper? HELL NO!!! It's lucky enough to get out of Beater territory in my mind. I wouldn't recommend it either, but I'll say to anyone that asks me, that it won't be getting the worst car of the year vote. Another Neutral rating... to my surprise!

Cheers

Last edited:
oh boy 3:41.848 to my PB of 3:337.374 at the MT.
i don't have a curve i have a bloody mountain to climb!
Only so much you'll be able to do. A DS3 controller is going to be anywhere from 2-4 seconds quicker than a time turned in with a wheel. However, driving with a wheel completely changes how you experience the game. Much more fun, challenging and realistic than driving with a DS3 which I did from the time GT1 came out until I finally got the wheel for GT5.

Only so much you'll be able to do. A DS3 controller is going to be anywhere from 2-4 seconds quicker than a time turned in with a wheel. However, driving with a wheel completely changes how you experience the game. Much more fun, challenging and realistic than driving with a DS3 which I did from the time GT1 came out until I finally got the wheel for GT5.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on DS3 users being faster overall.

Just last night we had a regular who has a G27 wheel and he pretty much drove around me at Cape Ring.

Don't get me wrong, a good car/track combo will favour DS3 users, but there's a reason why the majority of very fast times in the Time Trials are done with wheel setups.

A DS3 will have quicker responses to steering input, But a wheel will allow more steering lock than a DS3 and thus more control.

And this is coming from someone who's being called an 'Alien' many times for being incredibly quick by many COTW regulars. :D:lol:

@basswerks1 As a wheel user myself I think there is merit in what both @Baron Blitz Red and @Vic Reign93 are saying. I find myself struggling against the field in the few COTW online races I've done with you guys against both DS3 users and wheel users. You could argue that I'm just not very quick, and I concede that I'm not compared to the regular racers in those lobbies.

I have no idea if I could go faster by switching to a controller for online racing but to be honest, even if I could, I don't think it would be by enough to make a huge difference. Vic may have had trouble last night racing a guy using a G27 but he was hardly troubled by yours truly using a DFGT like the one you've just acquired (smart move :) ).

Sure you can laugh and say all that proves is that I suck but the point is, regardless of control input, it's the player who makes the car go, stop and turn and some are just better at it than others, end of.

I agree with @VacekS on one thing though; GT6 is a driving game and playing with a controller just doesn't feel like driving. I drive in cockpit view, with a wheel, because for me the enhancement and immersion that brings to the whole experience is worth any penalty I may or may not experience in terms of speed. Once you feel the force feedback of a wheel and experience the satisfaction of correcting a slide, the rumble of the road through your hands and the actions of actually "driving", you'll begin to appreciate all a wheel has to offer.

One thing you will definitely notice if you watch carefully is that wheel users invariably look far less erratic and twitchy on the road/track, simply because the control you have is far more progressive and less switch like when it comes to steering. Ultimately, whether the wheel improves or degrades your times, your driving experience will be transformed.

(BTW, @basswerks1 thanks for being a gentleman at the first Cape Ring race yesterday and giving me back the place after the little shunt you gave me - it was one of the few races I wasn't dead last :lol: - Beating Baron across the line at Spa by a hair's breadth when he was on CS tyres hardly counts as something to write home about!

Last edited:

@basswerks1 As a wheel user myself I think there is merit in what both @Baron Blitz Red and @Vic Reign93 are saying. I find myself struggling against the field in the few COTW online races I've done with you guys against both DS3 users and wheel users. You could argue that I'm just not very quick, and I concede that I'm not compared to the regular racers in those lobbies.

I have no idea if I could go faster by switching to a controller for online racing but to be honest, even if I could, I don't think it would be by enough to make a huge difference. Vic may have had trouble last night racing a guy using a G27 but he was hardly troubled by yours truly using a DFGT like the one you've just acquired (smart move :) ).

Sure you can laugh and say all that proves is that I suck but the point is, regardless of control input, it's the player who makes the car go, stop and turn and some are just better at it than others, end of.

I agree with @VacekS on one thing though; GT6 is a driving game and playing with a controller just doesn't feel like driving. I drive in cockpit view, with a wheel, because for me the enhancement and immersion that brings to the whole experience is worth any penalty I may or may not experience in terms of speed. Once you feel the force feedback of a wheel and experience the satisfaction of correcting a slide, the rumble of the road through your hands and the actions of actually "driving", you'll begin to appreciate all a wheel has to offer.

One thing you will definitely notice if you watch carefully is that wheel users invariably look far less erratic and twitchy on the road/track, simply because the control you have is far more progressive and less switch like when it comes to steering. Ultimately, whether the wheel improves or degrades your times, your driving experience will be transformed.

(BTW, thanks for being a gentleman at the first Cape Ring race yesterday and giving me back the place after the little shunt you gave me - it was one of the few races I wasn't dead last :lol: - Beating Baron across the line at Spa by a hair's breadth when he was on CS tyres hardly counts as something to write home about!

I guess we DS3 users should just buy an steering wheel, because we a) don't stand a chance against them, and b) it's "unnatural" to use a controller in a racing game.

I'm puzzled on how a controller is faster than a wheel... More consistent, maybe, but not faster.

Controller vs wheel is an age old debate, and everytime the conclusion is that a wheel is always faster, particularly in understeering cars.

As for the Vette, it gets a beater status from me. It's great in a straight line, but the understeer is too much. It suffered both on corner entry and exit, corner entry bring the worst culprit. For the short time I took out the V8 Vantage, it's corner entry was no worse than the Vette's, despite having a 63/37 weight distribution and being 600kg heavier.

Then there was another previous car of the week entrant, the Pikes Peak Quattro. Again, another 600kg heavier vehicle than the Vette and a giant soccer mom/grocery getter to boot, easily outhandled the Vette on inferior CS tyres.

@MidFieldMaven ... I have never liked yellow as a colour, but that's just my preference. The only thing (in my mind) that should be yellow is mustard. :lol:

As for the wheel vs. controller debate...

It's not which device that you use that makes one fast. It's a combination of experience and confidence that makes you fast. The old adage "First you get good, then you get quick" applies to either device.

For myself, I have been practicing incessantly to try and improve with what I have. I use a DS3 and in Automatic Transmission. Automatically I give up time and pace to those who use Manual Transmission and have the experience and confidence behind it. Sure, there are people that I'm faster than that use both wheels and MT. But not all people practice to the extent that some people do.

It's been discussed ad verbatim which is better... wheel or controller. I wholeheartedly agree with @Vic Reign93 that history has shown wheel users dominate the TT's. But, as with anything, there are always exceptions to the rule. I honestly believe that it's the person that is quick, fast or alien and not the device.

@OGGamer ... If there's one thing that I've learned here, fair play is always more FUN. I'm nowhere close to perfect, but when I know I've effed up, I will admit it. Which by the way, is common throughout the lineup here at COTW headquarters. I've learned tonnes from the regulars here... and that's just part of it. Great people make for great racing, something that keeps me coming back for more!

Cheers

I guess we DS3 users should just buy an steering wheel, because we a) don't stand a chance against them, and b) it's "unnatural" to use a controller in a racing game.

I'm puzzled on how a controller is faster than a wheel... More consistent, maybe, but not faster.

Not sure why you quoted my previous post ahead of this statement? First off, I didn't say that either were "faster" than the other. I did state (reasonably clearly I thought) that in my view it's an individual player's ability that affects performance irrespective of their chosen method of control input.

Secondly, nowhere did I say it was unnatural to use a controller in a racing game. I did say that I prefer using a wheel because for me it makes for a more immersive experience; no more and no less. As with so many things in life, your mileage may vary.

Most importantly of all I was certainly not trying to start a futile and childish wheel vs controller squabble, I was simply engaging with @basswerks1 over the subject of his new toy.

As @Lewis_Hamilton_ rightly says, it's an age old debate and one that will probably always cause differences and in the words of one Mr Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that" ;)

I'm sticking with a DS3 because I'm about to upgrade to a PS4 and there's no sense in getting a wheel now. While a wheel does allow drivers to be more precise than DS3 users, thanks to SRF the difference is negligible. The only thing keeping me from being as fast as a wheel user is the fact that I still use the default button layout instead of the triggers.

Old habits die hard.

As for this week's car, @Baron Blitz Red nailed it: Another vette to forget.

If the Vette is a supercar, then so is the Quattro SUV that kept up with it all night last night. You can't have one without the other, and SUVs aren't supercars, either.

first off thanks for the great feedback on the move. I really feel like i belong.. :)
@VacekS you are right about the wheel being Much more fun, challenging and realistic. emphasis on the Challenge!
@CowboyAce57 that's my lightly tuned baby! only 28psi of boost!
@OGGamer I may make mistakes (alot more now) but it was never intentional, i try to be clean first then fast. unfortunately i hit alot of the guys lol
@McClarenDesign tell me again about old habits.....

The C5Z is a pretty good car in GT6. With my basic Logitech Driving Force, it is fairly easy to drive and quite fun. I can't think of a reason to pick the '01 over the '04. The latter is premium, slightly more powerful, and has better color options.
hey i just got one, is there a way to stop the thing from shaking so much?

Corvette Z06 (C5)
@OGGamer ... Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get used to the wheel? I hear it's quite the learning experience, but is that really true?

I'm curious, cause I do plan on getting one for the PS4 and GT7, but as @McClarenDesign says, old habits die hard. :lol:

Cheers

I'm still getting used to the wheel mate - can't you tell? :lol:

Seriously though, I think because it's so different from using a controller, that there is no real conflict - what I mean is that if you were to start using one, you won't suddenly forget or be unable to use a controller, nor will you suddenly become a worse driver - you'll still be playing GT6 and the game itself remains unchanged. It's more of a familiarization process I guess, rather than some steep learning curve. Some people find that the feedback from a wheel can be a bit overwhelming at first, largely because it's a lot more immediate and intense than a controller, particularly when you first experience Force Feedback in a game. Of course all that delicate and dextrous finger work becomes a thing of the past so it can feel as though you are having to "fight" the cars more.

On force feedback - it varies considerably from game to game and wheel to wheel but you can, in most cases, adjust it in game to suit you best. Some people prefer very little, others prefer a lot and that's one area where finding your own "sweet spot" can take some experimentation and I often alter settings depending upon the game I'm playing to get it feeling the way I want.

Then of course there are pedals - that's an adjustment too as you learn to "feel" your throttle, brake (and maybe clutch) sensitivity, progression and input. Shoes? Socks? no socks? That my friend is the question ;)

The good news is that some things get way easier - manual shifting becomes a viable option as you no longer need 21 fingers. I also find holding a line is much easier with a wheel but to counter that, correcting a slide or controlling an intentional drift can be much more challenging.

Really though, all that matters is the fun you get out of playing and for me, the wheel makes me a happier, albeit relatively slow, little bunny.

Last edited:
Not sure why you quoted my previous post ahead of this statement? First off, I didn't say that either were "faster" than the other. I did state (reasonably clearly I thought) that in my view it's an individual player's ability that affects performance irrespective of their chosen method of control input.

Secondly, nowhere did I say it was unnatural to use a controller in a racing game. I did say that I prefer using a wheel because for me it makes for a more immersive experience; no more and no less. As with so many things in life, your mileage may vary.

Most importantly of all I was certainly not trying to start a futile and childish wheel vs controller squabble, I was simply engaging with @basswerks1 over the subject of his new toy.

As @Lewis_Hamilton_ rightly says, it's an age old debate and one that will probably always cause differences and in the words of one Mr Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that" ;)

Fine, you're right. I'm not going to discuss it further. First night out with you guys and already I'm beginning to regret racing at all with you guys. I just... don't think I have the drive anymore. Then again, last night was the first time I raced in almost two months...

Last edited:

Corvette Z06 (C5) 2004

One word summary - Underwhelming.

I guess I agree with the neutrals on this one. It's not bad, it's not great, It does understeer in stock trim, it goes OK in straight line but to me the acceleration felt sluggish (that could just be me though).

I have to confess though, that my initial impressions were clouded by the fact I had a bit of a brain fart and practised in a car fitted with CS tyres! No surprise that I seemed unable to match other people's laps - DUH! This clouded my judgement naturally, and when I raced yesterday I just didn't have the confidence in the grip levels even though we were running SH tyres - my mind was probably still feeling CS.

Looks wise it leaves me a little cold. It's not exactly ugly but it's not a thing of beauty either. A lot depends on what angle you look at it from. It does bear some resemblance to an NSX - one that's overdone the botox in its a**.

Overall though, I enjoyed driving it and it made for some fun races in the COTW arena. Thanks to all you regulars for having me along. To prove that the action was going on throughout the field here's a quick look at some of the racing going on way behind all the fast boys up front :)

Last edited:
hey i just got one, is there a way to stop the thing from shaking so much?

If you mean the wheel, go to the in game options and adjust the force feedback settings. If you're finding it too violent, reduce the numbers until you find what feels best to you.

You can fine tune the options further in the steering controller options menu (from the main options menu)

At the top you have a steering characteristics option where you can choose to have power assisted steering on or off, and select a steering type from amateur, pro or simulation (I like simulation). You can also set the Force Feedback Torque and Sensitivity on a sliding scale from 1 (least) to 10 (most).

You can then select the wheel you are using to set up all your button control layout the way you want.

Last edited:
All this wheel talk is making me, A) regret my past financial priorities; partying>wheel. 2) jealous. And D) incredibly impatient. Like MCD I'll most likely be waiting till I get a PS4.

As for the porvette, I don't have enough time behind the, controller, to give it a proper review. It did however give me a "W" at Apricot reverse last night. I still don't know how that happened so I think I owe the porvette another go.

Back