Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Despite fairly sparsely populated COTW lobbies this afternoon/evening there was some excellent racing once again - a really enjoyable session - thanks to all who were racing. Our esteemed leader had to leave us quite early on but I have captured a lot of the racing action which I will upload to Youtube and this thread in due course. Special thanks also to @Baron Blitz Red for playing host in Mr McClaren's absence.

For videos of all COTW races remember to subscribe to McClarenDesign's Car Of The Week Reviews on Youtube if you haven't already and if you would also like to keep an eye out for yourselves in action in my recordings of events, I'd love to have you all as subscribers over at my channel too :D
man i seem to have missed it again....

Despite fairly sparsely populated COTW lobbies this afternoon/evening there was some excellent racing once again - a really enjoyable session - thanks to all who were racing. Our esteemed leader had to leave us quite early on but I have captured a lot of the racing action which I will upload to Youtube and this thread in due course. Special thanks also to @Baron Blitz Red for playing host in Mr McClaren's absence.

I would have continued racing with you guys but I kept getting disconnected from the room. Instead I did the time trial and manage to get in 2:31 range.

I would have continued racing with you guys but I kept getting disconnected from the room. Instead I did the time trial and manage to get in 2:31 range.

Yeah that was a big problem tonight, I realize a lot of people were getting kicked, which was a shame. It only happened to me twice but I saw a few disappear mid-race too. Did get some video while you were with us though, including your win at Sierra.

Good run on the TT too 👍

Last edited:
Yeah it's always a problem when people get disconnected and ruins a race or a good battle. Thanks for recording the video of the races. Sometimes I wish I could record the videos myself but don't own a capture card though but I have all the equipment to edit videos. Hopefully some day consoles will eventually have built in capture devices but thats a long way off.

I got online around 11:05 pm EST and McClaren, Vic, etc weren't online so I didn't know where to go.

I need to add the rest of you guys lol

Feel free to add me on PSN... it also would give me a chance to see how my time at Suzuka in the GT3 stacks up against yours. I'm curious as you have that track more memorised than I do. :lol:

Cheers

Due to the Mexican GP, I'm announcing this week's car a little earlier than usual...

Congratulations RacingOtaku86!

Should I also talk about why I chose the car as well?

Normally I wouldn't mind, but since we're short on time today, I think it'd be better if...

I choose the...

big_Dodge_Viper_Courtney_02.jpg

...it's the 2002 (Dodge) SRT Viper GTS!

I have loved that car since I was a teenager. I still remember the time when my uncle (who worked for Dodge at the time) brought one over to my grandparents' house and we each had a turn sitting in one and riding in it as well. It's also been a favorite of mine since GT1. I don't know why I love it so; maybe its the design of the car, maybe its the awesome power it has, or maybe both. Either way, it is my choice for Car Of The Week.

I'm sure grandma will love it.

Congratulations also to this week's returning cheating champion, @Vic Reign93 , for winning last week's Playing With TTs! round with a time of 2:29.478. Normally I'd consult @Baron Blitz Red or @RobboGTAddict for this week's track, but considering the choice of car, I'm going to defer to Mr. Christopher Titus for this week's selection: Williow Springs International Raceway: Big Willow.

3_H1QFsCToHT4DurdcRBV07c30j5PPwU7yBIbCNWbsE=w896-h504-no

same here, ended up hanging out with vette, Zeo and cirxa got some great runs in...
(ahem @Baron Blitz Red did not show.. :ill::ill: lol )

Yeah sorry about that... well not really. I got "kidnapped". Details withheld as per my NDA. ;)

EDIT: As for last week's Playing with TT's event, I achieved my personal goal to get within 1 second of @Vic Reign93 's time... going for the same goal this week as well.

Cheers

R.I.P.
Dodge(/Chrysler) Viper
1992-2017
Died because of a lack of profitability.

Add "Due to incorrect management from FCA, SRT and Dodge themselves", as well as "Excessive pricing", and you will have the full "tombstone quotes" cota achieved. Lord only knows why did FCA cut the Viper's lifeline once and for all in lieu of, I don't know, rethink Viper's brand strategy and keep the car alive with more modifications in order to keep it in line with its revitalized rivals (i.e. Chevrolet Corvette ZO6)? Then again, the key factor in this tragic story must be the eternal foe of all sports cars; profit. Well, not much can be done against an accountant's contract which is set in stone...

As for our Viper, being a GTS does help it a bit when it comes to friendliness, but do not expect the same sort of "polite muscle" delivery that you saw (and experienced) in the M3. The Viper has a snake on its hood, and that did not happen due to the car being driver-friendly...

Oversteer is expected; death by oversteer is a given. That's the Viper's life code... :scared:

Well give me control of Dodge and call me Sergio, it's Duck Dodgers!

(What? I do know my Looney Tunes references, that was my darn childhood. And thank God for that...)

Thank you for that Mcclaren, now I will not be able to unsee this uncanny resemblance whenever I flip a Viper picture upside down. The things you can find in the Internet...

At least the Viper is a car that I'd want to "be caught dead in"... can't say the same for the Vette! ;)

Cheers

That would be a matter of preference, my esteemed Canadian friend... I don't mind the existence of either car, nor I would despise one in favor of the other. For me, both the 'Vette and the Viper are fine examples of defying common rules, the right to be bold and menacing while showcasing pure might. I may be a Chevy man, but by no means am I a sheer anti-everything else purist... ;) Not all sports cars/supercars need to be elegant works of art, sometimes you may want to unwind and pick a sledgehammer.

Last edited:
It would be a matter of preference, my esteemed Canadian friend... I don't mind the existence of either car, nor I would despise one in favor of the other. For me, both the 'Vette and the Viper are fine examples of defying common rules, the right to be bold and menacing while showcasing pure might. I may be a Chevy man, but by no means am I a sheer purist... ;)

I hear ya there... as I'm a bit older, I've been in more real life Vettes than Vipers, even though I've been in a few versions of the Dodge. Both are iconic, and both have potential to be absolutely visceral in power. As for my personal experiences, I'll admit I do have a bias or maybe even prejudice.

But, if I had to pick a superstar death... even though it's been done before, I'd say the 918 would be a nice way to go, IF I were driving it. ;) Now off to the BBQ!

Cheers

I hear ya there... as I'm a bit older, I've been in more real life Vettes than Vipers, even though I've been in a few versions of the Dodge. Both are iconic, and both have potential to be absolutely visceral in power. As for my personal experiences, I'll admit I do have a bias or maybe even prejudice.

But, if I had to pick a superstar death... even though it's been done before, I'd say the 918 would be a nice way to go, IF I were driving it. ;) Now off to the BBQ!

Cheers

Very well, fair enough. I unfortunately have not yet experienced the thrill of being inside a Viper or a 'Vette, as my home country lacks both; Dodge/SRT never sold the Viper through official local networks and despite having a presence in Europe (which will now go bust after eating away at Opel's profit), neither did Chevrolet. They are both different ways of tackling pure Americana, but they also share a common goal of being visceral sports cars with a clear focus on might. My true (and only) American car experience can be tied to that legendary namesake simply known as... Mustang. As for the bias, I can understand that, in America picking a car brand is the equivalent of supporting your local baseball/football team, that is how it goes in the USA and Canada land...

And if I want a fiery death inside a car, you'll know what I'd pick; Lamborghini Miura. If it worked for Rossano Brazzi, you know it will work for all car enthusiasts who don't mind some Italian heat... ;)

I can understand your thought of bias likened to teams... that is very true here in North America, as many people are die-hard fans of one of the "Big Three" here. EDIT: As for the Mustang, I can see the allure, as I've owned two of those... one of which having been showcased in GT5 and GT6, the '71 Mach 1 Mustang, my first "real" car.

However, in my lifetime I had an almost fatal experience in a '69 427 Vette. That's where my bias/prejudice comes from. Not even close in any of the Vipers I've driven or been a passenger in. "Once bitten, twice shy".

As for your pick... VERY nice! I've been beside one before, but never in one. Cars like the Miura are what dreams are made of!

Cheers

Last edited:
That was some good gosh darn close racing @OGGamer! I wish I could have been a little more consistent after that race. I blame it on the halloween candy. Either way, thanks for sharing. As for the Viper, I think its a lot tamer than I remember. But we'll just have to see, won't we. :)

@McClarenDesign, nice choice on the time of day for the TT! It's very, nuclear! Or maybe it's the side effects of the venom. Everything is glowing!

Last edited:
I can understand your thought of bias likened to teams... that is very true here in North America, as many people are die-hard fans of one of the "Big Three" here. EDIT: As for the Mustang, I can see the allure, as I've owned two of those... one of which having been showcased in GT5 and GT6, the '71 Mach 1 Mustang, my first "real" car.

However, in my lifetime I had an almost fatal experience in a '69 427 Vette. That's where my bias/prejudice comes from. Not even close in any of the Vipers I've driven or been a passenger in. "Once bitten, twice shy".

As for your pick... VERY nice! I've been beside one before, but never in one. Cars like the Miura are what dreams are made of!

Cheers

Indeed, I know that much about the American automotive world. As a Chevy man, I'd often go for the Camaro, but the new generation is a rather lackluster one, sending me into the arms of the new Mustang, which is a much better machine in design and track prowless. And in fact, my very first muscle car drive (as a passenger, by the way) in real life was done in a Mustang; mind you, it was a rather chubby 4th gen model, but that does not count out the obvious point which shows that it was a Mustang. Seeing the latest generation in person at Autoclássico 2015 in the Exponor exhibition center only furthered my passion for Mustangs, but of course the Corvette still occupies top spot in my American list.

Also, so that was the experience which led to to dislike Corvettes... Fair enough, but late '60s muscle cars always had the "death trap" feel to them, with the big block engines offering far more power than what the ancient chassis setups could handle. They were the Viper's grandfathers in a way, since they demanded not only skill but also respect as the handling was borderline dangerous at the limit. And if it went out of control, well... it would not be a fun ride, if you catch my drift. Early Vipers still have some of that danger in their DNA, but the years of safety and technical innovations clearly kept their poison under more and more control as they went on. Mind you, they'd still bite your head off when overly teased...

And yes, much like you, I can say that I've once been beside a Miura, and it was as mesmerizing as you'd expect. At an older edition of Autoclássico, Lamborghini's 50th anniversary was being celebrated, and a special set of cars were cordoned off limits as a special attraction, with one of those cars being a dark grey Miura owned by the Caramulo Museum. I did not care about the security tapes, as me and my father found a gap which we could cross, and for a few brief seconds I stood next to a true dream car. Let me tell you, once a security officer politely told us to leave the area and go back behind the tapes, I truly thought of saying "F:censored: off, please!", because regardless of its age, the Miura is a true example of a car which will never lose its presence. In the past it was a futuristic mad trip, in the present it's a mesmerizing work of vintage art and in the future it will be a history worthy of an educational book about "Cars of the past"... It's not just a dream, it's the whole Pearly Gates of Heaven. EDIT: And fortunately enough, I managed to find some pictures amongst my many photos which shows these Pearly Gates;

20131006_114007.jpg
20131006_113629.jpg

Um... apologies for the long and rather off-topic bard's tale, but discussing these matters with even-minded people is something that I thoroughly appreciate.

I can say this about the Viper, however; much like the M3 and the Corvette C5, the Viper also has a legendary GT racing version as its brother... How fitting, huh?

Last edited:
What fantastic car choices we have been having lately! I would definitely take death by Viper as well. As for the last word on the E92 M3, in calling it SLEEPER. In terms of PP and performance out of the box, the M3 on track can hang with cars that should easily walk it. The M3 is the trackday choice of the cars in its class. It has always had the best chassis and balance of those as well. BMW understands that the complete package is more important than all out power. It's like pirelli's ads used to say, "Power is nothing without Control". Now, onto the Viper!

The original 1996 Viper GTS is basically identical in every way to the 2002 GTS, except for ABS which was introduced in the 2001 model, and revisions to the exhaust, camshaft specs, and an "off" switch for the passenger airbag, all which came about in the 1998 model.

If anyone knows any other differences, I'd love to know. The Viper was my first domestic car love interest. I remember when the GTS came out. I was 12. I didn't really know about the Viper until then, or care about cars in general. This is the car that got me into cars, for what it's worth. All these years later, however, and I've fallen out of infatuation with it. I'd still love to own one, but I don't dream about it anymore. I'd be just as happy in something like a Lotus Elise.

Had some great runs with @Baron Blitz Red, @OGGamer and CrazyCap today. Thanks guys! And not to mention some significant improvements for myself and CrazyCap. As for the car, thanks to @RacingOtaku86 I have a new favorite. It is a complete blast to drive and look forward to spending the week with it. After taking somewhat of a hiatus from the group over the last couple of months I feel I'm ready to jump back in full throttle! Also, thank you @basswerks1 for keeping up on the TT leader board!

It's a two-for-one review here, though it's not a true comparison test. Neither of these cars can really be considered a Beater or a Sleeper, given the performance they're capable of and how much both of these nameplates represent bargain for performance.

First, the C5 Corvette Z06. While the C6 and C7 Corvettes may have overshadowed this generation of America's Sports Car, the C5 was a major first step into pushing the Corvette from just the best sports car America had to offer into a true competitor for the European exotics for a fraction of the cost. There's been some complaints here about how this car pushed too much under heavy breaking. Granted, I was running the '04 rather than the '00, but I felt like the Corvette felt stable going into a corner, and though it was definitely possible to lose the rear end if you got careless, the car was capable of some very heavy g-loads if the power was managed correctly.

Turning now to the '07 BMW M3. This is a car that hits a similar point to the Corvette in price and performance, but handled significantly different.

The M3 felt as though it eschewed any predictable understeer for full on, tire-smoking oversteer both going in and coming out of the corners. It's a double edged sword, that aspect of the M3, it's capable of more performance in the right hands, but it felt more punishing the times I got it wrong.

While my own personal leanings would draw me towards the Corvette, I think these are both really good cars that will bring in many 500 PP seasonal race wins for those grinding to get a 20,000,000 car.

Finally the remaining races from last week's BMW M3 COTW. Enjoy. Brief race reports and results are included in the video descriptions on YouTube.

Also, I have one question and one favour to ask of members - firstly, do you prefer to see driver's names above the cars on these videos or would you rather I not include them?

Secondly, if you enjoy the videos please can I ask you to help me and the COTW scene out by giving your votes and shares through any social media services you use and, if possible, one of the most helpful things you can do is to give them a quick one click like on YouTube 👍.

My verdict on the M3 after a week's worth of driving and racing - a sleeper for sure. Fun to drive and very capable in terms of both performance and handling. Sure the engine note still sucks but I'm sure I'll be driving her a lot more since this COTW experience. Now it's on to the Viper and I'm loving this week's choice already 👍​

Last edited:
Back