Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

All this wheel talk is making me, A) regret my past financial priorities; partying>wheel. 2) jealous. And D) incredibly impatient. Like MCD I'll most likely be waiting till I get a PS4.

As for the porvette, I don't have enough time behind the, controller, to give it a proper review. It did however give me a "W" at Apricot reverse last night. I still don't know how that happened so I think I owe the porvette another go.

If you're planning on buying a PS4, waiting is probably sensible as barely any of the wheels made for PS3/PC are compatible with the next gen hardware/software. Having said that, it's also a pretty good time to look for a used one for PS3 as so many people are offloading their wheels in order to move over to current gen equipment and bargains can be had.

Ebay is a treasure trove if you don't have a lot to spend. I bought my "like new" DFGT for £13 (about US $20). Just took a little patience and a few low bids. Prior to that I was using one of the first Logitech FF wheels made for the PS2 which whilst not as good, still got the job done :).

If you're planning on buying a PS4, waiting is probably sensible as barely any of the wheels made for PS3/PC are compatible with the next gen hardware/software. Having said that, it's also a pretty good time to look for a used one for PS3 as so many people are offloading their wheels in order to move over to current gen equipment and bargains can be had.

Ebay is a treasure trove if you don't have a lot to spend. I bought my "like new" DFGT for £13 (about US $20). Just took a little patience and a few low bids. Prior to that I was using one of the first Logitech FF wheels made for the PS2 which whilst not as good, still got the job done :).
$20!? That's not a bargain, that's a steal! At those prices it think it may be worth it to buy now while I wait. Good lookin out @OGGamer!

All this wheel talk is making me, A) regret my past financial priorities; partying>wheel. 2) jealous. And D) incredibly impatient. Like MCD I'll most likely be waiting till I get a PS4.

As for the porvette, I don't have enough time behind the, controller, to give it a proper review. It did however give me a "W" at Apricot reverse last night. I still don't know how that happened so I think I owe the porvette another go.
Which was the track I voted for, and got disconnected from...
I did get a "W" at Leguna Seca though, so there's that. :)

So @Baron Blitz Red - what was it, the verdict on the GTO?

Well, looking over the reviews I'd say the general consensus was Neutral. Nobody dared to call it a Beater, even though the price tag was an issue at the time! (It was fairly early on in GT6)

If you ever want to check out what's been done already, just go to page 1 of the thread to the OP (Original Post) and there's a list of all the victims so far!

Cheers

I gave the porvette another go last night and I have to say, underwhelmed. This poor Vette has nothing exciting to write home about. It's not a bad car, it's just way to too soft for its class. If this poor Vette could read and hear, then it would probably get offended that's how soft it is. So please porvette, go grow a pair and bite me where it counts next time.

Dare I say it? Beater.

2000 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 C5 was quite infamous in GT3 for the IB and IA licenses. I struggled with the wet license test with this Corvette but if I were to go back to GT3 I could pry better my time and possibly gold those test now. As for the C5, it might not be the most beautiful Corvette in its line but pretty in between whether to classify it as a muscle car or supercar. When driving this car you find out that the breaking takes a lot longer to slow down for a turn and sometimes you find yourself in the sand or in the run off areas of the track. A large part of that is where the engine is located and balance displacement. All in all its a decent car but the debate comes down to is it either a muscle or supercar. If anything I would take the C7 Corvette over the C5. For me the C5 gets a neutral rating as it's neither beater or sleeper.

So, due to scheduling conflicts, I can't post up the type of review I usually do for this... (derp).

68627-your-fantasy-fleet-low-midpriced-cars-replace-your-miata-dsc_0297z06red-jpg

This is essentially what the Corvette I chose looked like. Those sharp lines bring back memories.

But I can say that the Z06 really surprised me, it's a car I haven't really driven in a long time (I've been sticking with the C7 for a very long time), and it really kept me happy on my test track. Even with knowing what the C5 is like in real life, I was thoroughly impressed, so I'm going to give it a sleeper rating.

I took Barbie's favourite ride to Deep Forest after a short visit to the tuners for a tranny of my choice and a supercharger - after all we were going racing not just driving down Sunset Boulevard to the beach.
Threw the seats out, too - sorry, Barbie, I'll replace them after the race.
Sports soft to finish off dressing for the Ball, and all assists off to make the dancing more fun.

IMG_7834_zpsvj1zuv9c.jpg

Barbie does drive a surprising car.

barbievette_zpsfk4sa0mo.jpg

Thank you, Barbie. You can have the car back now.

Last edited:
Congratulations to @basswerks1 - conquering Mt. Fustercluck today in the TT. Do we have a new alien in our midst?

Currently sitting on the 2nd step of the podium, he ran this lap of 3:32.410, the best of the session. He has since gone a little bit faster. :bowdown:

First lap in the video concentrates mainly on bass and his hot lap - I kept the second lap in because it's unheard of me to be flying in tandem with the Baron. Had to shred my tyres to do it though!

Big thanks to bass and @Baron Blitz Red for a really enjoyable session, excellent driving, some good tips and shared laughs :cheers:.

Look out COTW fans, looks like there's gonna be someone else running at the front.

Last edited:
I took Barbie's favourite ride to Deep Forest after a short visit to the tuners for a tranny of my choice and a supercharger - after all we were going racing not just driving down Sunset Boulevard to the beach.
Threw the seats out, too - sorry, Barbie, I'll replace them after the race.
Sports soft to finish off dressing for the Ball, and all assists off to make the dancing more fun.

Barbie does drive a surprising car.

barbievette_zpsfk4sa0mo.jpg

Thank you, Barbie. You can have the car back now.

LOL I think you "should have gone to SpecSavers" @photonrider 'cause I swear that's Barbie's mom, you 🤬 dog you!

Good win on the seasonal though - I think I only scraped in about a second ahead and that was in the GTO (Ferrari, not Pontiac).

Last edited:
Well now for something completely different:

I would like to invite people here at COTW headquarters to try out some tracks...

@McClarenDesign has a newer version of Mt. Fusterkluc out... Route B.

@Lewis_Hamilton_ has put a version of Yellowfield out for all to enjoy.

@Vic Reign93 has a track out there called Reign Dance... 5 point harness minimum required and Gravol highly recommended... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! ;)

Cheers

Well now for something completely different:

I would like to invite people here at COTW headquarters to try out some tracks...

@McClarenDesign has a newer version of Mt. Fusterkluc out... Route B.

@Lewis_Hamilton_ has put a version of Yellowfield out for all to enjoy.

@Vic Reign93 has a track out there called Reign Dance... 5 point harness minimum required and Gravol highly recommended... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! ;)

Cheers

Much appreciated Baron. ;)👍

That was my first shot at making a technical track with some elevation ( and that evil turn early on was a pure accident :D)

I've done tracks with a need for big power first and handling a close second, like 'Line Of Victory Raceway' and a shorter version of the Seirra Rally.

My main focus was on tracks that are pure speed tracks like 'Spectators Speedway', 'Victory's Speed Wars' and the ultra fast 'Downhill Dash' where you can stress test a cars gearbox on the downhill and its engine on the uphill climb to the finish.

Of course, it wouldn't be me if I didn't download a few oddball tracks created by the GT community. :P

I have a track which takes a part of the Pikes Peak track from GT2 and then loops around so you can run it again, A track that looks like the GT Logo, A longer version of Sonoma Raceway, two tracks with some Symmetry in their design and last but definitely not least, a few tracks which are filled with insanely gnarly jumps and bumps. :lol:

All those tracks are up for grabs and props to the people who put them together. :cheers:

Congratulations to @basswerks1 - conquering Mt. Fustercluck today in the TT. Do we have a new alien in our midst?

Currently sitting on the 2nd step of the podium, he ran this lap of 3:32.410, the best of the session. He has since gone a little bit faster. :bowdown:

First lap in the video concentrates mainly on bass and his hot lap - I kept the second lap in because it's unheard of me to be flying in tandem with the Baron. Had to shred my tyres to do it though!

Big thanks to bass and @Baron Blitz Red for a really enjoyable session, excellent driving, some good tips and shared laughs :cheers:.

Look out COTW fans, looks like there's gonna be someone else running at the front.

I could not watch more than 12 seconds of that video - the absolute terrible sound that Kaz insisted on using for the car detracts fro everything else.

If anything, this video demonstrates why I pop in and play GT6 for a week or so then stay out for many months... the sounds are all simply wrong. And rubbish to boot.

Thanks @OGGamer for recording this ! (I blame the wheel lol). i'm no alien by any stretch.
you and @Baron Blitz Red had personal best times in that session, (just saying) it was more fun having you guys there to push and clown around with.
looking forward to the next session.

As much as I like the C5 Z06, I have to give it beater status. Taking all bias out of the equation, it just doesn't stand a chance against its European contemporaries. The Z06 has always been the track focused version of the vette. That means it goes against the Ruf RGT and Z4 M Coupes. It's not quite up to those sports cars, but it is much quicker than the Mustang Cobra R and 4th gen Camaros. The Z06 is a great middle ground between muscle car and proper sports car. On the Mt Washington Hill Climb course, each car was stock on SH tires with two runs a piece. The RGT and Z4 M ran 4:14s, Z06 did a 4:18.5xx, and the Cobra R ran a 4:24. The LS6 engine is great, but too much wheelspin and torque to get the most out of the chassis. I still like the C5 Z06, but it's not the world beater that GM marketed it as. When a car with 60 hp down (Z4 M) is over three seconds quicker on a 6 mile course, it has to be a BEATER.

Thanks @OGGamer for recording this ! (I blame the wheel lol). i'm no alien by any stretch.
you and @Baron Blitz Red had personal best times in that session, (just saying) it was more fun having you guys there to push and clown around with.
looking forward to the next session.

I'll give you credit, just edged me out by roughly a tenth on that run. :P:tup:

Enjoy it.... :mischievous:

Back