Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I have to say I quite enjoyed the El Camino, even better than the NSX (although most of you will want to give me a bitch slap after saying that). I was surprised by its speed and handling considering its a 60's pickup just short a pair of bullhorns stapled on the front grill. I was expecting it to be all over the place in the corners. But it wasnt that bad at all.. Tuned it contained a bit of a bite... no wonder the baddie from bond had one...

Whenever I see a newer model full-size pickup on the road, I'm reminded of The Incredible Hulk; they're massive, powerful, ungainly......and completely and utterly stupid. Today's full size pickups dwarf their older brothers, getting larger through the years as each company has strived to make their truck "bigger than the other guy." The end result has been that all the practicality has been designed out of them; just try to reach over the side of a current Silverado or Ram and pick up a toolbox from the bed; only the Shaquille O'Neal sized are capable of the feat. It's become so ridiculous that Ford now installs a ladder in the tailgates of its pickups just so people with legs shorter than Andre the Giant's are capable of climbing into the bed.

I can recognize and acknowledge the utility of pickups as much as anyone, but why can't they be as fun to drive as a car?

This is why I'm so glad we don't get so many of these modern US pickups in the UK! That said I was looking forward to this weeks car very much.

To me this isn't a car to race round a boring circuit, it's for posing in small towns or smuggling stuff across the border. I did buy two to see what the extras part looked like. Cool is the answer.

So no time trial round Brands Hatch this week and it was off to the US of A.

After the photoshoot it was time for some late night smuggling action.

All looking good, no cops around

Making a quick getaway

Approaching the border in the morning

Where's the crossing?

After safely making it back home, the verdict was in and I must say I liked this car/pickup, plenty of power and the 2 speed box isn't bad as there's loads of torques.

So, I decided to go for a nice drive round the Nurburgring staying away from the kerbs and off the grass.

Was surprised to see the time across the line of 9:04, a whole second faster than the Buick GNX and loads more than the BMW 507.

A definite sleeper this one (is that the good one?)

Cheers

-McClarenDesign's-
Super Best Friends Super Aguri Super Review of the Car of the Week
"To heck with this, if this is motor racing I'm going to give it up now." -Bruce McLaren

COMING SOON!

Week 10: 1967 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396

Gemasolar_2-2.jpg

Gemasolar_4.jpg

Gemasolar_3-2.jpg

CocirctedAzur-4.jpg

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_1.jpg

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca.jpg

Gemasolar-1.jpg

Gemasolar_1-2.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed in this review do not necessarily reflect those of the manufacturer, the publisher, GTPlanet.net or it's members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. If you have a history of epilepsy or seizures, consult a doctor before use. Certain patterns may trigger seizures with no prior history. Underage sale is strictly prohibited. Before using see the instruction manual included with your system for more details. For previous reviews, please visit: McClarenDesign's Very Serious SLS AMG Reviews of the Car of the Week N Stuff. Void where prohibited. All videos were filmed before a live studio audience. Car setup monitored by Dark Lion Racing's GT6 Tunes and Tricks app on Android, as administered by Super Best Friends Super Aguri. Contains wheat and soy ingredients. No goats were harmed in the making of this review that we are aware of. This product may cause significant hair loss, headaches, and damage to the immune system. Best wishes to Michael Schumacher! To advertise, contact McClarenDesign@gmail.com. If not completely satisfied, please return the unused portion for a full refund. If overseas, please include additional postage. Some assembly required. This review is made with 10% post-consumer recycled materials.

-Super Previous Super Reviews-
Insightful... but bollocks: Introduction To Failure (or How I went from a Very Serious SLS AMG to Super Best Friends Super Aguri)
Week 1: '10 Peugeot RCZ

Week 2: '88 Volvo 240 GLT Estate
Week 3: '87 Buick Regal GNX
Week 4: '57 BMW 507 vs '55 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL
Week 5: '72 Alpine A110 1600s vs '72 Alpine A110 1600s (15th Anniversary Edition) vs '73 Alpine A110 1600s
Week 6: '90 Nissan Primera 2.0Te / Infiniti G20
Week 7: '03 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S / Honda Accord Coupe EX
Week 8: '98 Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R / Corolla Levin BZ-R
Week 9: 2001 Acura/Honda NSX vs 1993 Acura/Honda NSX
Week 11: STAY TUNED!

The El Camino is such a beast in a straight line. Shift into 2nd gear between 70-80 mph and it just takes off like a rocket. Oversteers nice and controllably.

I was able to muster a 2:30.517 around Suzuka which is as quick as the 2012 Toyota 86 GT. That blows my mind.

Top speed was 134 mph.

2:30.499 - 2012 Toyota 86 GT - 2.0L, 197 hp @ 7000 rpm, 151 ft-lbs @ 6500 rpm, 1230 kg, 406 pp, 99.9% Power.

2:30.517 - 1967 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 - 6.5L, 325 hp @ 5000 rpm, 410 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm, 1468 kg, 453 pp.

Over 3x more engine displacement, 2.5x more ft-lbs of torque. Just brutal American stump-pulling monster.

Last edited:
437hp/487pp
full custom trans - default setting
full tuned suspension - lowered
100K ballast, full rear giving 51/49 front/rear distribution
RH tires
aids = abs 1
Finally got around to taking the El Camino around Suzuka. :P
image.jpg

487pp/382Hp
Soft Race suspension
Fully customisable transmission with personal set-up
50/50 weight distribution with 107kg ballast
RH tyres
ABS 1

The El Camino is such a beast in a straight line. Shift into 2nd gear between 70-80 mph and it just takes off like a rocket. Oversteers nice and controllably.

I was able to muster a 2:30.517 around Suzuka which is as quick as the 2012 Toyota 86 GT. That blows my mind.

Top speed was 134 mph.

2:30.499 - 2012 Toyota 86 GT - 2.0L, 197 hp @ 7000 rpm, 151 ft-lbs @ 6500 rpm, 1230 kg, 406 pp, 99.9% Power.

2:30.517 - 1967 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 - 6.5L, 325 hp @ 5000 rpm, 410 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm, 1468 kg, 453 pp.

Over 3x more engine displacement, 2.5x more ft-lbs of torque. Just brutal American stump-pulling monster.

Funny you should mention that...

To test the accuracy, the driver of the El Camino and I switched cars; he in the FR-S and me in the El Camino. I was hoping to duplicate the results to prove that the El Camino was overrated.

I thoroughly trounced him, despite him having better grip.

I think what you experienced is the peak of what you're capable of, and not necessarily the car's peak.

Both cars have some room for improvement. I'm nowhere near the best unfortunately, but I do try my best :)

With my talents, if you could even call them that, both cars are nearly identical around Suzuka.

Other cars within half a second of the El Camino:

2:30.143 2005 BMW 330i
2:30.266 2002 Audi S3
2:30.361 1999 Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R
2:30.499 2012 Toyota 86 GT
2:30.517 1967 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396
2:30.633 1991 Nissan Silvia K's (S13)
2:30.671 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic
2:30.736 1991 Toyota Aristo 3.0V
2:30.745 1961 Jaguar E-Type Coupe
2:30.760 2008 Renault Sport Megane R.S.
2:30.808 2006 Ford Focus ST
2:30.944 1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type M (R32)
2:30.978 1990 Mazda Savanna RX-7 Infini III (FC)

Last edited:
Congratulations Zenmervolt!

In the end, I have to admit a grudging respect for the '67 El Camino. But I don't have to like it.

You don't. That's the point. Top job.

Zenmervolt
I debated about this for a while; let's try a classic British roadster.

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500!

4teqQ.jpg

Winston Churchill
We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Straight from the dealership into the Garage:

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - 71 hp @ 5500 rpm, 82 ft-lbs @ 3000 rpm, 809 kg, 319 pp.

I ran a 2:54.602 on Sport Hards at Suzuka some time ago. Reminded me a lot of my Miata. Wish the MGB was in GT6...

Hi all!
"Monty" here, I hope some of you guys remember me from some of the COTW Tuesdays. It took me a while to find your thread MCD, but now you'll hear from me a bit more regularly!👍

So this week is the Spitfire? sounds good. and so much nicer to know in advance... All this time I've been buying the cars 5 mins. prior to racing. :lol:

Hi all!
"Monty" here, I hope some of you guys remember me from some of the COTW Tuesdays. It took me a while to find your thread MCD, but now you'll hear from me a bit more regularly!👍

So this week is the Spitfire? sounds good. and so much nicer to know in advance... All this time I've been buying the cars 5 mins. prior to racing. :lol:
Glad to see you found us alright. :lol: Can't wait to see how everyone does in one of if not the lowest Hp cars we've run at COTW. 👍

Got around to revisiting the bone-stock Spitfire on Sport Hards at Suzuka this morning, and did 6 tenths of a second better. Couldn't quite break the 2:53 barrier with a time of 2:54.052

That's in the ballpark of the '95 Suzuki Cappuccino, '91 Honda Beat, and '79 Autobianchi A112 Abarth.

Top speed 99 mph.

Last edited:
I liked the Camino stock better than tuned, though I have to admit I was missing about five or six gears.

Throwing a Spitfire around is going to be fun.

I'll be there to thrash your mutant donkeys. In fact . . . coming on now . . .

Edit:
Well, well . . . what a lot of fun. While I had bought the Spit, it was lying in the garage, unused, just sitting there dustily trying to be as iconic as ever.
Forced to take up the challenge, I took my two Spitfires over to the battle, having bought an additional one (just in case.) Don't ask me 'what case?', I was a Scout. We're prepared.
Obviously Red was the fastest colour. Might have been less weight in the pigment. So my Red was faster than the Beige.
Bone-stock with a Tire Limitation (while yet many assists were provided) the car was truly a masher. One needs to know how much to push this car to discover its limits - and, whoa, can you push it.
The bonus race/duel against the 507 was more than a fun race - it was spectacular - at least from the viewpoint of my replay. And I got a chance to drive my juicy, curvy, snorty, bouncey 507 against another bunch of very nicely detailed 507s.
Is the Spit a beater or a sleeper? Oh! A Sleeper in the right hands, the way the top dogs in the pack were running you'd think the Spit was a supercharged Merlin running on kerosene.

All in all, a good-time car. Buy one.

I must say, in addition, to race with pure-bred racing folk was also a blast. ;) Great room. And a regular time-slot. Sure recipe for success.

Last edited:
Well, unfortunately, last night I learned a lesson: "Snooze you lose". I'm two hours ahead of MCD so the COTW races start at midnight and go 'til 2:00. I'm not complaining, but it makes for very long Tuesday.:lol: So, last night I decided to set my alarm for 23:30 and went to get a couple hours of shut-eye.

Then I woke-up...
at 2:00...
:mad:🤬:banghead:

I suppose now my Spitfire will make it's way towards the bottom of my garage as more of a collector's item than anything else.

COTW Spitfire
by X_stream, on Flickr
Click to view full-size

Well, unfortunately, last night I learned a lesson: "Snooze you lose". I'm two hours ahead of MCD so the COTW races start at midnight and go 'til 2:00. I'm not complaining, but it makes for very long Tuesday.:lol: So, last night I decided to set my alarm for 23:30 and went to get a couple hours of shut-eye.

Then I woke-up...
at 2:00...
:mad:🤬:banghead:

I suppose now my Spitfire will make it's way towards the bottom of my garage as more of a collector's item than anything else.

COTW Spitfire
by X_stream, on Flickr
Click to view full-size
If it means anything, I almost got caught out by daylight savings. :PIncidentally your Spitfire turned out like mine, red with wire rims. :D

All in all, it was another good night of racing. 👍

Well usually the COTW race nights are a ton of fun, and last night was no exception. Unlike the Camino's Gone in 60 Seconds 2 speed trany, where it took 58 seconds to get up to speed, the Spitfire was much faster to get to racing speed even with WAY less hp. Not surprisingly, our resident Brit was "Reigning" supreme in a British car... Go figure!

It does take an experienced hand to get the Spitfire flying, and I was happy to witness people do just that. As a new online racer, I usually try to get into the top ten for every race. The Spitfire did not disappoint me, especially in the first race of the night... considering there were 6-8 of us! :lol:

Cheers

Last edited:
Triumph called this car the Spitfire, but it reminds me more of a Mosquito. No, not the fighter/bomber from DeHavilland, I'm talking an actual Mosquito. It's dimunitive in size and its engine's note sounds more like said insect than a supercharged Merlin. But nowhere is the divide between the car and its namesake more glaring than the horsepower rating: 1470 for the airplane, take off the first two numbers for the car.

From that opening, you're probably expecting me to bash this car the rest of the review, but I'm not. The car has some good points. The styling, while perhaps not being distinctive or eye-catching, is a good example of the classic British roadster. Its lines flow pleasingly and the car as a whole has an understated attractiveness.

And on the twisty bits of Grand Valley East, the Mosq...Spitfire was a joy to drive. Its light weight and nimbleness allowed the car to go flat out through corners that I normally have to lift or even brake for. And even if I wasn't getting the right line into a corner, getting it wrong netted me a pleasing drift and plenty of smoke from the Comfort Medium tires. The Spitfire is tons of fun...on part of Grand Valley East.

Once I was back on the speed sections of the course, the fun was quickly replaced by bored tedium as I waited for the weak inline-4 to finally get me back to the fun corners, much like getting off a roller coaster and then having to wait in line for an hour to be able to experience the thrills again. Not only was GVE's relatively short front straight enough for the car to use up all of its avaliable power, but the uphill jaunt to turn one was enough to noticeably slow the car an MPH or two. For all the car does right, power is its massive achilles heel, and it showed in a best effort of 1:33.984.

Now, I'm not going to label the car a beater, because I do like its postive qualities quite a bit. And with....ahem...."MORE POWER" (said in a Tim "The Toolman" Taylor voice), this lightweight car could very well be a sleeper. In its stock form though, the fun to be had driving the Spitfire is directly proportional to the amount of turns on a track and inversely propotional to the length of its straightaways. Ultimately for me though, when I feel like driving a fun and nimble lightweight roadster, I'm going to turn to the BMW 507 rather than the Spitfire. With nearly twice the horsepower, the 507 is fun to drive on an entire track, not just part of the track.

"507 Uber Spitfire!"

bmpiYDz.jpg

Trailing throttle is a tricky thing...

The low morning sun drags the shadows out long and glints off my Ray Ban Aviators. The cool morning air is dulled by the wool lining of the classic leather bomber jacket and the light breeze catches the end of the cream pilot's scarf draped around my neck as I step out onto the track. My host for the day rolls his eyes.

"That joke's been done." Deadpan.

I shrug my shoulders and grin, sloughing off my the scarf and jacket and slipping into this week's car, a lovely dark red example of Triumph's final variation on its Spitfire, the 1500. Last week it was big, hulking American muscle. This week, it's British nimbleness. For a moment I almost convince myself that the little Triumph could fit into the El Camino's cargo bed.

QbXIdt0.jpg

The only thing the Triumph has more of than the El Camino is gears...

Of course, that's not to say the Triumph has nothing in common with the big Chevy. Both cars are about as technologically sophisticated as a farm tractor. True the little Brit does at least have independent rear suspension, but it's a swing axle setup carried over from earlier Spitfire models. Triumph redesigned the bodywork but left the chassis and suspension largely intact and, well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

7vceLQX.jpg

Sadly, nothing's broken, that's just what swing axles do.

With all of 71 horsepower though, what could be gravely dangerous becomes mainly fun. Around Streets of Willow the flyweight is easy to control; there's not enough speed to make things really challenging, even with the standard Comfort Medium tires. After a couple of laps finding my line I settle down into the 1:39.2 neighborhood easily with a personal best of 1:38.906. Abruptly lifting definitely brings the rear around, but you're never really going fast enough that it's a problem.

vucOTvn.jpg

Whatever her faults might be, ugliness isn't one of them.

There's a lot to be said for little cars like the Spitfire. It's not sophisticated. It's not fast. It's not spacious. Thanks to Lucas electronics, an engine designed and built in 1970s Britain, and US pollution controls it's not even particularly reliable. But it's fun to toss around. And it looks good. Really good. Especially the way those rear fenders flow into light panel and give the car a purposefully low and wide look. Not to mention the center-mounted racing style fuel filler at the base of the rear window. So what if it's not the safest thing in the world to put several gallons of gasoline in the driver's lumbar region, it just looks right.

KOWHVhP.jpg

Seriously, how does it get much better than this?

I absolutely fell in love with this little car. It looks good. The power may be low but you never have to worry about overstepping what the chassis can handle. It looks good. The light weight makes it a willing partner down a winding back road. It looks good. It may need more mechanical attention than newer cars, but it's simplicity itself to work on. Did I mention it looks good?

Sure, if I'm honest, the Spitfire is, as Peter Egan once said of another acceleration-challenged car, "a sleeper only in the sense that it never [wakes] up," but neither is it a beater. The Spitfire seems to exist outside of the beater/sleeper dichotomy. Like the British themselves it simply carries on. "Let other cars worry over whether they are beaters or sleepers," it seems to say, "I am a Spitfire and that is enough."

I have to agree.

Specs:

Displacement: 1,493 cc
Power: 71 hp @5,500 RPM
Torque: 82 ft-lbs @ 3,000 RPM
Weight: 1,784 pounds

Top Speed: 107 mph (as measured at la Sarthe, without chicanes, she'll hit the limiter in 4th if she's got enough road...)

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/doz4g/all

Ok, so I'm back after a few weeks hiatus from civilization in general, and I can finally play GT6 again, therefore, I can experience this week's car.

For starters, this car's design is so British it makes you want to put on a checkered suit and drink tea while watching Monthy Phyton. And by that, I mean that it is simple, functional and passes the sensation of lightness and nimbleness.

So I took it to my test track again, Matterhorn Rotenboden for some spirited sunday afternoon driving, expecting a lot of fun on the corners and not a lot of speed in the corners.

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_11.jpg

So starting the lap at the mesmerizing speed of 70 kph, I start climbing the first series of corners in third gear, when I realize that it is far too steep to use third, so I downshift to second...

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_13.jpg

... aaaaaaaand it stalled. Second gear wouldn't come in, so it just stopped on the hill.
After that incident, I got the hang of the car, and shortly the downhill part (and the fun) would start.

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_14.jpg

As it is really lightweight, throwing it around the corners was a lot of fun, filled with body roll and controllable oversteer.

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_16.jpg

I imagined this jump would be a total mess, but the Spitfire behaved better than the other cars I raced around here. It was planted after the landing and it was able to brake before I started swearing and praying, expecting not to crash into the guardrail and be sent downhill into a big fireball.

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_17.jpg

Almost...

Matterhorn+Rotenboden_18.jpg

But anyways, it was pretty fun, despite having to take half the lap in second gear at whooping 50-70 kph. I still have to tune it and drive it a little more before making a full review or anything, but I don't think it can be called a beater or a sleeper, as it is a pretty fun car to drive, but it is not a monster in the hide of a daily driver. I don't know what I'd call it, actually...

As an addendum for my review this week, I decided to take the BMW 507 onto Grand Valley East tonight. Hypothesis confirmed, I had fun the whole track rather than just part of it, and came away with a much better 1:25.585 result.

That done, I decided to put some laps down in another car from the pre-GVE days, the Buick Regal GNX. Even though I did it on stock comfort softs rather than the sports hards I put on when I ran this car at Ascari, the result was nonetheless impressive, coming in at 1:20.668.

Now just need to find the time to get the Peugoet RCZ and Volvo 240 Estate on this track to have a full COTW leaderboard on Grand Valley East.

Latest Posts

Back