Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The Sprinter Trueno. A new one on me, I'd never heard of it, but it's good.

173bhp and 387pp stock from the dealership with comfort soft tyres.

Went round Brands in a fairly pedestrian 59.822 with lots of squealing tyres, but fun to drive actually.

Not as much power as the Honda Accord, but a whole lot better to drive and more fun.

After a paint job (Sterling Silver Metallic) and some new wheels it looked a bit better for the photos.

Seeking a new challenge I bought some Sports Hard tyres and went off to the Autumn Ring for the 400PP Clubman race in National B.

Turned out to be too much for the competition and I probably should have stuck with the CS.

Having another go at Brands Hatch Indy with the SH tyres was a lot quicker with a 57.551 recorded (better than last weeks Accord by nearly half a second).

A sleeper this one for sure.

Cheers

Congratulations to SuzukaStar!

Bone-stock on Sport Hards at Suzuka:

2:34.529 - 1998 Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R - 1.6L, 173 hp @ 8500 rpm, 119 ft-lbs @ 6000 rpm, 1080 kg, 387 pp.

As quick as:

'11 Mini Cooper S Countryman
'07 Peugeot 207 GTi
'92 Honda Civic SiR-II

All FF's with 1.6L engines.

For putting things in perspective, we've asked him to select this week's car.

SuzukaStar
Whaaaaat?!?! Lucky me! So many cars to pick from...I think I'll go with the...

1990 Honda CR-X SiR.

Because it was the first car I bought way back in GT1 and I always tell myself I'll get one someday. I just love it for some reason.

Really? 4 Japanese FFs in 4 weeks? Really? Are you some kind of terrorist?

SuzukaStar
Yeah I'm sorry I couldn't be the one to change it up :D

If you want, you could switch it to the 2001 Honda NSX. That would've been my other choice :)

The 2001 Acura/Honda NSX!

Senna_NSX.jpg

Still Japanese (there are other parts of the planet that make cars, you know), but at least it's not terrible. I'd take this over any Civic, any day of the week, and I'm sure that you'll agree as well.

To the next winner, my advise: choose wisely.

Last edited:
:lol:!

At least the power is heading to the back and the engine to behind the driver. :D

It will be quite fun and interesting to see which car and driver has the most chemistry and gives the best result. 👍

Firstly, oh no! not the NSX :scared: I'm still not fully recovered from that time trial at Ascari yet.

Secondly, I wouldn't take one over a civic any day, especially as I have a type r on the driveway:P - unless it's been nicked while I was typing this :dopey:.

Thirdly, yes I remember it being a monster car in earlier versions of gran turismo. As much as I hate trying to get one to take corners :embarrassed: I can't see how this can end up being anything other than a winner, (sorry I can never remember which one is best beater or sleeper :dunce:)

It's funny that exactly when I get to choose the car of the week, I have to travel to a place without a PS3 available for me to test the car. Anyways, I enjoyed reading what you guys had to say about the car, which made me want to try it as soon as I can, seems pretty fun.

Having driven the 1997 NSX, all I can say is that it is one of the most special cars I've ever driven (For reference, I've driven the 458, F10 M5 and LP560-2 to name a few). Everything about it, the look, the feel, the handling, the history, everything blew my previous expectations of the NSX, and Japanese cars in general. To this day, I'm hard pressed to find any car thats given me the same grin the NSX did.. Truly a masterful and engaging piece of automotive machinery. I'm searching for a Monaco Blue one as I'm typing this.

As for the 2001 NSX in GT6, I've yet to drive it in the game. I'll report back with my observations soon. But, having driven it in real life (or atleast the 1997 version at that) It is definitely not a beater.

I think we all have driven the prize car version of the NSX, and with one that's a decade newer, we should have a great opportunity to see how the car has evolved. I remember seeing the first one in real life, and it was Homer Simpson drool. Even more so during my brief stint as a Lexus salesman, in which driving cars was necessary, let alone a benefit.

But hey, if it was good enough for Mr. Wolf to drive in some unknown movie, you just know it can't be a beater... lol.

Cheers

Last edited:
I was surprised to see the NSX as part of this series, I think nearly everyone would agree it's a fantastic car, but after three weeks of front-drive snoozers I'll gladly take the opportunity to drive the coolest car to ever come out of Japan. (Yes, I include the GT-R and the LFA in that statement!)

What's that? Where's my Corolla review? Alright, 1:22.895 on Grand Valley East. More peppy than the Primera, better handling than the CL. Hopelessly bland styling, and what's with the tacky, obviously non-functional rear wing? Pretty much zero reason to buy it instead of an Integra or a Silvia. A beater that will collect dust next to the Primera in my virtual garage.

There, now I'm free to have fun with an NSX. :D

Oh really? I thought of something a bit different...

hpGdT3Q.jpg

THE CHROME CAR!
Warning: Despite the name and the color, it is not related to the chrome car in Burnout Paradise, or any chrome real-life car that isn't a '91 Acura NSX

what's with the tacky, obviously non-functional rear wing? Pretty much zero reason to buy it instead of an Integra or a Silvia. A beater that will collect dust next to the Primera in my virtual garage.

I like tacky, I think the rear lights and rear wing look kinda cool, better than most cheap FF cars, but I'll always be 18 years old inside so that might explain it.

As for being useless, I have to disagree. I currently have around 80-90 cars set to 500PP, where I've been experimenting with power to weight ratio within the PP limit, and this Toyota comes out right at the very top of the list. It's about the quickest 500PP car I have on the straights, and with a weaker compound tire on the rear and a little tuning, handles nigh on perfect (superb lift off oversteer).

Sorry for not really participating in this thread and reviewing cars, I've been all over the place recently, I'll try to get more involved within the next week or two. I especially feel bad after seeing all the effort MC and others have put into their reviews.

Suprised we have an NSX, it's not what you would call an underdog car by any means, but it will be an interesting change I should imagine - going from several weeks of understeer to a car that will spin easily if pushed too hard and not controlled. I foresee a lot of tire smoke in the next set of videos :sly:

Suzuka Circuit Time Trial, Sport Hard tires

2:20.949 - 2001 Honda NSX - 3.2L, 276 hp @ 7100 rpm, 224 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1340 kg, 449 pp.

Getting under 2:21 should be a gold medal in a stock '01 NSX Seasonal Event challenge. Try it out :)

Top speed at Suzuka: 140 mph.

Last edited:
Honda NSX '01 with 276bhp and 449pp and sports hard tyres as standard.

Tricky. That's the word initially, as there's a good bit of tyre squeal and sliding around if you're not careful and this was proved on my first run round the usual Brands Hatch Indy.

58.818 seconds on the first go, but I managed to take over 3 seconds off that with a bit more care at Paddock Hill Bend and on the Clark Curve.

After the obligatory visit to the garage I didn't go for new paint just new wheels.

Looks great here with some "miniature" filtering I think.

This weeks race is 3 laps of Suzuka in the NA Sports Series.

Into the 2nd Degner

They're on SS and I'm on SH but they don't prove much opposition really, as they slow down a lot in the Esses and the hairpin. I win in the end despite some terrible driving on my part and a few offs.

Ran into the back of the lead BMW here as he slowed down unexpectedly.

Best lap time was 2:28 but could be bettered if I was more careful!

An excellent car this, and not just because of the history, in the right hands will be very quick indeed.

Cheers

Expecting some Yankee heavy metal next week after all this Japanese jingle jangle!

Last edited:

'93 Honda NSX- 2:24.702

'01 Honda NSX- 2:18.899

'13 Acura NSX Concept- 2:12.506

#GranTurismoTuesday update- As with the BMW 507, we'll be replicating the 1991 F1 calendar with races at:
1. Monaco
2. Silverstone
3. Monza
4. Spa
5. Suzuka

*Due to the ridiculous way you can choose the same tyres unintentionally, and can't correct it when you do, we'll avoid requiring pit stops. Any other suggestions beforehand will be accepted until tonight at midnight CST. The room should be open no later than 9:45p, and we'll begin around 10:05-10:10p to allow for those that are late. We will also have a BONUS Race, featuring the '13 Acura/Honda NSX concept, so pick one up if you plan to join. Anyone taking Senna out at Turn 1 on Lap 1 will be banned from the FIA, because I can do that. All kidding aside, I do have a very special announcement coming soon from Sauber F1, so stay tuned, especially if you watch F1.

You beat me by 2 whole seconds. I am stunned. Did you use a wheel? I only have my lowly DS3 for now :(

Something to consider is turning on the instruments for the replay so I can see your speed at corner entry and such.

I just love how easy the oversteer is to control. Not too snappy. So satisfying to drive smoothly.

The NSX is basically a lighter, less powerful Lotus Esprit.

Last edited:
You beat me by 2 whole seconds. I am stunned. Did you use a wheel? I only have my lowly DS3 for now :(

Something to consider is turning on the instruments for the replay so I can see your speed at corner entry and such.

1. I use AT, DS3 with default buttons.
2. That'd be showing my hand. I don't give away more than I have to. I'd be happy to show you online, but that's as close as anyone gets.

1. I use AT, DS3 with default buttons.
2. That'd be showing my hand. I don't give away more than I have to. I'd be happy to show you online, but that's as close as anyone gets.
I might just have a look at your 01' NSX time and see how I'd stack up. No oil change?

I think I did do an oil change. 457 PP regardless.
image.jpg

MT, oil change and DS3 with standard set up. ;)

In my opinion? When compared to other sports cars, it's very capable of punching above its horsepower weight with a very fineness chassis set up. In the world of high power sports cars, it's definitely a sleeper. 👍

Let's get this out of the way early this week: Anybody who would dare call the NSX a beater rightfully deserves to be laughed out the room, and the car is far too attractive to the eye to be considered a sleeper by anyone who makes less than a "I choose which of my Ferraris to drive each day based on my mood" kind of income.

That said, let me now wax poetic about the NSX. Unlike many cars from the early nineties, the design still looks as attractive and futuristic today as it did two decades ago. The six-cylinder engine delivers its power with a smoothness that would put silk to shame. And while early iterations may have an annoying tendency for the back to attempt to overtake the front (as I found out taking my prize '91 NSX around Ascari some weeks back), Honda was able to correct those faults and turn a wild horse into a stable steed.

As it happened, I already had an NSX in my garage besides the gift one from the Grand Turismo Association. In order to gold the Ascari challenge, I had bought the king of the streetgoing NSXs: the 2002 Type R. With top of the line performance and a lovingly crafted interior already at my beck and call, I chose to revert the Type R from a very mild tune to stock form rather than purchase a whole new NSX for the trip to Grand Valley East.

Now, you can understand that I went into my hot lap session with a bit of trepidition. This was by far the most potent car I had shown up with since GVE became my test track, and I knew while the likes of Lewis and Vic could take it around blindfolded with one hand tied around their backs without any danger of damaging the sheetmetal; I was wondering if I, mere mortal that I am, was recklessly endangering a priceless artwork, a bit like dangling the Mona Lisa over a raging fire by a length of dental floss.

But I needn't have worried. The Type R was not only remarkably responsive to my steering inputs and able to slice the corners like a samurai's katana, but it was quite forgiving too. Yes, there were moments where wheelspin reared its ugly head, threatening to take the car off course into an unwilling trip to the sand or worse, the barriers. Yet, merely lifting the throttle was almost always enough to remedy the problem and steady the car's course around the track.

Most of the dozen laps I ran were "merely" in the 1:13.xxx range, but halfway through my session, almost as though guided by a spirit of far superior driving ability...(Hey, quit snickering! Let me have this moment!)....everything came together in one beautiful lap, producing a result of 1:12.641. And every mile I spent on this session was truly enjoyable.

It's been nearly a decade since the last NSX was produced. Since then, Nissan and Toyota have launched supercars of their own, and now Honda is bringing about a new car to inherit the name. But when I look at all the things that made the first generation NSX so great, it's hard to imagine any car from the Land of the Rising Sun equaling it in sheer coolness.

As a proud loyalist of Detroit iron, the biggest compliment I can give is this: "If I had to buy a Japanese car tomorrow, it would an NSX."

----

(I know, the Type R does have a performance edge on "lesser" NSXs. I'll add some ballast for Tuesday's session to bring it more in line with the rest of the pack...even if I could use all the advantage I can get running with this crowd! :P )

Last edited:
I'll just say that i can't join because i can't find the room, probably cause im Russian(and i know that Moscow is 7 hours ahead of CMT).
That or i am Captain-sense-of-direction the 2nd

1992 Honda NSX Type R vs. 2001 Honda NSX - Sport Hard - Suzuka Circuit

Max Speed:
142 mph - 1992 Honda NSX Type R
140 mph - 2001 Honda NSX

2:19.687 - 1992 Honda NSX Type R - 3.0L, 276 hp @ 7300 rpm, 226 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1230 kg, 460 pp, 97.5% Power.
2:20.949 - 2001 Honda NSX - 3.2L, 276 hp @ 7100 rpm, 224 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1340 kg, 449 pp.

The suspension and aero improvements really help stabilize the 2nd generation NSX. The original Type R reminds me of the original Dodge Viper. Raw and hardcore. Not for wimps. The 2001 NSX is soft by comparison, but a 2:20 lap time at Suzuka is no slouch. That's BMW M3 and Z4M territory.

These are old times and could probably be improved a bit:

2:17.739 - 2002 Honda NSX Type R - 3.2L, 290 hp @ 7100 rpm, 237 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1270 kg, 468 pp.
2:22.758 - 1999 Honda NSX Type S Zero - 3.2L, 276 hp @ 6500 rpm, 231 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1270 kg, 450 pp, 97.2% Power.
2:24.916 - 1990 Honda NSX - 3.0L, 274 hp, 7000 rpm, 216 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm, 1350 kg, 439 pp.

Last edited:
I'll just say that i can't join because i can't find the room, probably cause im Russian(and i know that Moscow is 7 hours ahead of CMT).
That or i am Captain-sense-of-direction the 2nd
It'll be up in about 11 hours from now. You haven't missed anything yet.

You keep your commie "International date line" outta my 'Murica. just joking!

Join us, if you can!

Back