Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I'm seeing a few 86 Racings on that field, how did they stack up to the bog-standard brothers (and the Modellista Celica for some reason)? Last time I checked, those were slightly lighter than the stock models... Unless I'm wrong, of course.

Also, Nismo, I really want to say your sister ruined the car, but it ended up becoming strangely alluring. It's not really as horrendous as a pink 86 with blue rims, or a 86 with one of those ghastly GT-brand spoilers (now now, don't take my ideas for granted, the last thing we want is a ruined 86)....

Darn it, I respect a sports car customized by a woman, that takes some talent. :crazy: :lol:
I gave the Modellista Celica a try at High Speed Ring and it proved to be somewhat competitive. Also tried the Dino, but that car ended up smoking the competition. Vic might've had a chance if he wasnt handicapped to CS tires :sly:

Also, @Nismonath5, what's the color of that car? I kind of dig it.

Well, I've owned it since 2013/12/15 and never really used it... and since it was within 1 pp I thought why not! On paper it had comparable numbers, but the stock 3 speed has the 1st gear longer than a kid waiting for Xmas.

I was curious, and figured it would get noticed in a crowd :lol:

Cheers
That said, how'd it stack up to the Sciaru BreeFrees?

That said, how'd it stack up to the Sciaru BreeFrees?

On HSR, not very well... but all in all, it's not that bad. It can keep the momentum up fairly decent, and actually handles pretty good. I did an offline test at Silverstone with it, and it was equal if not just a touch faster, which peaked my curiosity... but there's a saying for that, isn't there. ;)

Cheers

On HSR, not very well... but all in all, it's not that bad. It can keep the momentum up fairly decent, and actually handles pretty good. I did an offline test at Silverstone with it, and it was equal if not just a touch faster, which peaked my curiosity... but there's a saying for that, isn't there. ;)

Cheers
It packs a bit of a better punch in the long run, if I remember right. The XNR is unusually quick in a straight line.

Edit: I mean over distance.

I gave the Modellista Celica a try at High Speed Ring and it proved to be somewhat competitive. Also tried the Dino, but that car ended up smoking the competition. Vic might've had a chance if he wasnt handicapped to CS tires :sly:

Also, @Nismonath5, what's the color of that car? I kind of dig it.
That's GT6 POLARIZED 007. I got it as part of the 15th anniv. pack.

It packs a bit of a better punch in the long run, if I remember right. The XNR is unusually quick in a straight line.

Edit: I mean over distance.

Totally agree, especially with a tuned one, I use it frequently in other rooms. It is nicely balanced but it sorely lacks grip, however I truly believe that on the straights it is the fastest car in the game at it's achievable PP levels.

At SSRX and 500PP for example, it is IIRC +20mph faster than anything else I've tried, which includes most of the fastest known cars for 500PP (and others with the best power to weight ratio or aerodynamics for 500PP).

I hope next week's CoTW is a good one, I'll be able to make it both of them.

I've been reading articles about the differences between the "Toyobaru twins", and there's not much. Differences the press have found are the foglights are slightly different shapes, the BRZ's front splitter is a tad more pronounced, the 86 has trunk lining, it's really all cosmetic stuff.

Rumour has it the BRZ is a touch stiffer in the springs, but if that's true then it's a difference too subtle to notice. Though interestingly, in real life there's a $5k price difference between them (the 86 being the cheaper one at $29,990).

Oh look, here's a sporty everyday car. The Toyota 86/GT86 are probably the most common sports car right now...at least over here as far as i believe and no, mustangs, challengers or camaro's doesn't count. My problem with the owner's though (same goes to plenty of other sports car owner's) is that they buy their cars as automatic rather than manual. Where's the full on experience when you get auto's? I blame their laziness. :grumpy:

Toyota 86/Toyota GT86/Toyota FT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ is/are what i consider the starting level of performance cars. It's a 2 door Japanese sports coupe with not so powerful engine and well..it's not what i call cheap but it's not that Cor....:ouch:

I will just let RegularCar do his review, better than me in everyway.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend tonight's session either; I have to pay the last portion of the hefty purse I had to pay for my university course (despite said course having been finished the month prior, God knows why), meaning that me and my parents will have to take a trip to the bank to sort that out.

Just be sure to pull off some flashy slides for me, will ya?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend tonight's session either; I have to pay the last portion of the hefty purse I had to pay for my university course (despite said course having been finished the month prior, God knows why), meaning that me and my parents will have to take a trip to the bank to sort that out.

Just be sure to pull off some flashy slides for me, will ya?

Gladly. :sly:

I will hopefully have a review up before the weekends up.

Rightio, time for another episode of
Nismo's COTW Reviews!!!!! :gtpflag:
Episode #24: Subaru BRZ (A.k.a Toyota 86, Scion FR-S) (I'll just refer to all three cars as the BRZ, for simplicity since they're identical)
Gemasolar.jpg

My entry into the week's racing, in all its pinky glory. (Thanks sis! :odd:)

First of all, I put up a poll on Google+ to see what name people prefered for this car...
Screenshot_2016-07-10-15-34-51-1.png

And there you have it folks, the internet has spoken! Now,
on with the review!!!

The BRZ is an FR Japanese sports car, and on paper the numbers aren't all that exciting. It produces a few horses over 200bhp, weighs in at a somewhat respectable 1230kgs, and costs $30,000. The body is pretty damn versatile. You see BRZ bodies everywhere, in drifting, circuit, Pike's Peak, and I don't know if you guys know this, BUT... Ryan Tuerck's mounting a Ferrari F136 V8 into one!

But is as great to race stock standard?
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_1.jpg

The BRZ handled the bumps and speeds of LeMans with ease!

Cape Ring Periphery_3.jpg

Boo-yah!!

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_2.jpg

"You're gonna have to really fight to get past me, Vic!" -B. McClaren

Cape Ring Periphery.jpg

Saturday's racing was just as fierce as Tuesday's, even with half the field.

Well, yes. Power wise, the 2L boxer 4 revs smoothly and comfortably. The acceleration is swift enough for sports driving, but still lacks a little thrust off the line. Still, not bad for 200bhp. 👍 It has a pretty sweet standard suspension setup. Firm enough to run High Speed Ring without issues, but at the same time soft enough to withstand the punishment that is Mount Panorama. I did notice that it dips down quite a lot under braking, which as we all know is the poor man's way of making your car look lowered... from the front, anyway..:lol:
Speaking of looks, it's a pretty attractive car, am I right? The angular headlights, sculpting around the badge... I just find it really handsome. Even more so when it's got a bodykit, but we'll get to that one in a minute...
The handling is pretty remarkable. Despite having a bit more weight than your average sports car, it navigates tricky sections with relative ease. I only noticed a touch of understeer, and even then that was while I was wringing it's neck around Bathurst. It's brilliant!

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_3.jpg

Perfect for Sunday cruises and ferocious track meets alike!

I had an excellent week's racing in my BRZ. I achieved some pretty high placings in the races, and I enjoyed the close precise action the BRZ provided. Fast, clean racing just the way we like it, with a little bit of panel rubbing to keep things interesting. And when @Niku Driver HC put out a request for some "flashy slides", his pleas did not fall on deaf ears. @Vic Reign93! That's your que buddy,
do what you do best!
Cape Ring Periphery_2.jpg
Cape Ring Periphery_4.jpg
Special Stage Route 5.jpg
Special Stage Route 5_1.jpg

Excellent work mate, can't wait till you try to drift a Civic or an Autobaninci or even a Golf! ;)

Some people tried their hand in the
Toyota 86 Racing, a road legal 86 with added racing equipment, most notably a tow hook, racing seats, and a harness. You can see why one would think it would have an edge on the base model. However this car performed nearly identically to the standard car, and proved no real performance benefits.
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_3.jpg

Run Ernest, Run!!!!

Another car a few of us thought would be a real ace up the ol' sleeve was
Gazoo Racing's 86.
Gemasolar_1.jpg
At only $50k, here's a pretty cheap racecar!

For an additional $20,000 on top of the price of a standard BRZ, you get... absolutely no horsepower gain, no weight loss, and to really rub salt in the wound, lower PP. :yuck: How about, NO.

Okay, so what's the verdict on the BRZ?

Good bits (Stock)
-It's the swiss army knife of JDM
-Amazing handling
-Beginner friendly
-Cheap
-Great for N/A fans and turbo fans alike
-Looks great

Not so good bits (Stock)
-Lacking power
-Sport hard tyres :crazy:

Short answer: Sleeper! :sly: 👍

Long answer: The BRZ is an excellent starting point for a newcomer to the world of GT, in fact it's great for beginners and veterans alike! It's a blank canvas, able to be built for whatever driving you desire. Whether you need something small and humble to win all the National B grade races, or want to take on a Lamborghini Gallardo, the BRZ can be made into something for anyone! It's versatility and user-friendliness are unseen on any other FR JDM car, and it is this customisability that really appeals to me. It's a definite sleeper. 👍

Now, what about my BRZ, the pink one? Well, all I've changed as far as visuals are the wheels. But I'll keep it pink, it's grown on me like that :D I've boosted the power to 355bhp, shedded a few kg's, and that's about all I've done to it. :dopey:
City of Arts and Sciences - Night_1.jpg
Tasteful stance, without ricing it. Perfecto! :D

Now then, before I conclude this post, the drivers who were at the Saturday lobby attempted to stage a photo shoot to get an image that could be used as a sort of "COTW title image". You know, the type of pic you'd use as a cover photo if COTW had its own page. It was a pretty rough set, but I made do... Here's my two results.
Nürburgring GP_D.jpg
Nürburgring GP_D_1.jpg

Next time I'll plan what cars/colours to have and where beforehand. :boggled: Ah well, I still like option 1. Thoughts?

Attachments

• City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg
    City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Well first of all, I knew @Vic Reign93 was more than willing to step it up (can it be considered as "stepping up" when he didn't really drop down a single level?) and deliver on the drifting front, but drifting a car is something else. As usual, a fine job, my esteemed British chap. :bowdown: 👍

As for the pic thing, @Nismonath5, those two are nice attempts, but I'd like to field my own suggestions;

• Given that many COTW drivers like racing in it, perhaps you should stage the photo shoot at Midfield Raceway. MidfieldMaven tests all COTW choices there, and it usually produces great racing, so why not give that track a chance? ;)
  • The world ratio for the cars can be a bit better. Ergo, it should be two European cars, two JDM and two 'Murican vehicles, and it should be distributed in a "one classic/one modern" fashion, to make it more true to the fact that us COTW really drive everything, regardless of age and performance...
  • Colors? White and Red, one for each JDM car, Blue and Red with Stripes for 'Murica, and Yellow and Green for Europa. How does that sound...?

Well first of all, I knew @Vic Reign93 was more than willing to step it up (can it be considered as "stepping up" when he didn't really drop down a single level?) and deliver on the drifting front, but drifting a car is something else. As usual, a fine job, my esteemed British chap. :bowdown: 👍

As for the pic thing, @Nismonath5, those two are nice attempts, but I'd like to field my own suggestions;

• Given that many COTW drivers like racing in it, perhaps you should stage the photo shoot at Midfield Raceway. MidfieldMaven tests all COTW choices there, and it usually produces great racing, so why not give that track a chance? ;)
  • The world ratio for the cars can be a bit better. Ergo, it should be two European cars, two JDM and two 'Murican vehicles, and it should be distributed in a "one classic/one modern" fashion, to make it more true to the fact that us COTW really drive everything, regardless of age and performance...
  • Colors? White and Red, one for each JDM car, Blue and Red with Stripes for 'Murica, and Yellow and Green for Europa. How does that sound...?
I like the idea of using Mid-Field as a venue. Good thinking old chap!

As for the cars used, I was thinking more "various shapes and sizes" rather than "cover all the regions". I agree, too many USA cars in that shot. I was thinking something like this...

-Lotus Esprit '02 (supercar)
-Cobra Daytona (muscle car)
-Sauber C9 (Prototype racecar)
-(undetermined) (JDM car)
-Isuzu Bellett GTR (classic car)
-Senna's F1 car (Tribute)

Not nessecarilly that order or cars, but those sorts of categories. A selection that shows the world we cover all the bases.

Ok people, here's the officially unofficial results for the "I wish I had more hands for" Playing with TT's event involving triplets and their cute cousins... ;)

Victory_Reign93: 2:40.946
BaronBlitzRed: 2:42.713
G_ASHER: 2:43.004
Rob_on_Drums: 2:46.836
GTP_CowboyAce57: 2:47.152
EmaRED_82: 2:49.324

Cheers

Woo Hoo, FINALLY a podium! :cheers: Break out the adult refreshments!

Brad's got "Major pain in his left hand", so I've been given the esteemed honour of picking one lucky driver to pick our fates this week...
CONGRATULATIONS @MidFieldMaven!!!!

Wow, it's been almost 100 weeks since I last picked a car. I better make this good :scared::boggled::D

Damn right!

I want to pick a Golf... and there are 5 to choose from. I think I'll go with my personal favorite, the very well-rounded *Bleep*

Interesting... I think I kinda jinxed this one, in my last review I said it would be funny to see @Vic Reign93 try to slide an FF, and what does Maven decide to pick for us? :lol:

Rightio guys, head down to the VW dealer and pick yourself up a 2005 VW Golf V GTi!!!!!!
COTW.jpg

(Is it just me or do you think @Baron Blitz Red when you look at this colour scheme? Ummm also, your "Check Engine" light is on.)

This week's "Playing with TT's!" event will be held, where else? MidField Raceway! And will be created whenever Brad's able to. Hopefully the title will be updated soon, too...

Wow, we may be looking at COTW history here. Did we ever see Brad relinquish his coveted role to someone else, regardless of reason? You got one hell of a throne, Nismo. And I'm not talking about that one you get in bathrooms... :crazy: :lol:

As for this week's car, well... it's a Golf GTI. Brilliant hot hatch, nearly flawless in every given aspect within its class, but it's also somewhat void of personality because of it. For me, it's the 911 of hot hatches; I won't deny its brilliance, but it could do with some "social aspects", if you catch my drift...

Cars within a second at Goodwood:

Ford SVT F-150 Lightning '03: 0:59.625
Alpine A110 1600S '73: 0:59.703
Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63: 0:59.731
Ford Focus ST '06: 0:59.766
Audi quattro '82: 0:59.975
Alpine A110 1600S '72: 0:59.975
Acura CL 3.2 Type S '01: 1:00.063
Ford Taurus SHO '98: 1:00.504
Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus '00: 1:00.561
Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05: 1:00.573
Acura CL 3.2 Type S '03: 1:00.581
Acura RSX Type-S '04: 1:00.755
Lotus Europa S.2 15th Anniversary Edition '68: 1:01.008
BMW 2002 Turbo '73: 1:01.055
Citroën C5 V6 Exclusive '03: 1:01.147
Acura Integra Type R '01: 1:01.163
Audi TT Coupe 1.8T quattro '00: 1:01.196
Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '01: 1:01.312
Ford Focus ST170 '03: 1:01.442

Since Brad's the only one who can set up the Time trial events, I think until he's back, rather than our usual 10 minute time trial, just head to MidField in Free run mode and thrash the Golf around, then post your fastest lap time here.

Remember, pics or it didn't happen!
Edit: Nevermind!

Last edited:
Back