Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

For reference, This is the 54' C1 Vette.. ;)

IMG_0131.PNG

And the one we have in GT6 has the Blue Flame 3.9 litre Inline 6 and a 2 Speed Powerglide Automatic.

Perfect for cruising, but racing? Jury's out until race night. :sly:

I guess New Zelanders haven't had enough Corvette exposure to pick out different years. :lol:

I'll race you guys tomorrow night! (technically today - posted at 2AM onTue the 14th)

Over here we only have C3s onwards, you'd be hard pressed to find anything older...

And I'll race you guys tomorrow! (Literally tomorrow- posted 9:30pm Tuesday 14th) ;)

Nismo, you posted a 1960 Corvette.

My net connection has been spotty over the past few days, and I haven't had a steady connection that wasn't via my phone. And I'm not doing this over my phone... it's like asking a guy to make a 2nd trip for what he can clearly carry despite what he's currently got. It just doesn't happen.

I was gonna give you spite, instead Nismo went ahead and asked Obelisk to give us... well, the AUP won't let me call it how I see it, we'll just leave it at that.

The spite will have to wait. But don't think it has forgotten... it'll just be angrier.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

How hard can it be?

Last edited:
Hey, so just thought I'd fill everyone in as to my sudden without warning departure last night.. There's a whole bunch of crazy wildfires gone on a rampage in Christchurch, destroying thousands of acres of land. So my COTW racing was replaced in favour of news headlines and updates... :irked:

I only got two races in, but I'll try write up a review nonetheless. Sorry all, I'm now looking for a smaller TV I could fit in my room so my weekly racing needn't be interrupted again. :sly:

Hey, so just thought I'd fill everyone in as to my sudden without warning departure last night.. There's a whole bunch of crazy wildfires gone on a rampage in Christchurch, destroying thousands of acres of land. So my COTW racing was replaced in favour of news headlines and updates... :irked:

I only got two races in, but I'll try write up a review nonetheless. Sorry all, I'm now looking for a smaller TV I could fit in my room so my weekly racing needn't be interrupted again. :sly:
Ouch. Stay safe out there!

When you juggle college, work, a cancer-ridden grandma, and constant procrastination, you find yourself in a position where you can't do much on the side. That's my position this week, so I present a condensed version of my usual review on this plastic fantastic piece of Americana.

4.jpg

They say the third time's the charm...and such is the story with the C1 Corvette. It didn't become anything resembling the sports car (yes, I said it) that we know today until its third variant (1958-1962). Where it started, however, was something completely different. The term, "sports car," wasn't really on America's radar back in 1953, so the only place for the Vette to start was as a small, luxurious roadster. So that's what it was.

There's a reason I keep the C1 out of Corvette discussions, because the original Vette isn't really much to talk about. It's beautiful, for sure, and the later years had some strength. However, the overall picture is less than flattering. It's slow, it's cumbersome, and it's by no means a sports car of any term. But, I can see how it could be used as a nice little luxury car, a boulevard cruiser, pretty much the only reason I can excuse the Lexus SC430. That's really all it's good for.

Beater v. Sleeper Indy Track Times
86. Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (SS4B) ’67 – 2:16.148
87. Chevrolet Corvette ‘54 - 2:16.630
88. Citroen C3 1.6 ‘02 – 2:17.263
89. Citroen Xsara VTR ‘03 – 2:17.557​

But really, look at that lap time. Shameful. I'm going to give it a beater rating for sure.

I see one C1...
But that was before my week fired up...
Gemasolar.jpg

Yes it's a Corvette, no it's not a V8. Blasphemy, I know...

I was gonna start this review with "Flashback to the 50's", but that's kind of hard for all of us except @Draggon. :lol:
So try and imagine a 50's scene. Elvis was all people ever listened to. Colas and lemonades came in glass bottles and costed a mere five cents. And cars were cars. No traction control, no anti lock brakes, no electronic assists of any kind. And the American motor car scene had a problem. They were lacking something in their lineup, and that was a sporty vehicle.

Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg

Enter the Chevrolet Corvette.

The Corvette may have been a sports car in the day, but how does it fare up today? Well, for starters we're driving the 3.8l inline 6 model, mated to a two speed power glide transmission. It has virtually no acceleration, a smidgen of power, and plenty of weight! Cornering in this whale of a machine is worrying at least, with oversteer not really an issue due to the lack of power, but understeer sure is! I made sure to race without aids, to really reflect the driving feel of this thing! Thing is, as much as we can pick at it's bad handling and boggy driving feel, we must remember that this thing's over 60 years old! With that detail in mind, you really realise just how far we've come...

Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit '80s_1.jpg
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit '80s_3.jpg

I'd love to do a more in depth review, but that's it for this week. My time with the C1 was tragically cut short after only two races this week. There was a couple of huge fires in Christchurch which then merged into one big super fire... Many houses destroyed, people evacuated, and country resources spread, meaning the family TV was almost constantly tuned to the news updates and developments. :boggled:

As for "Beater or sleeper?", given it's age I'm inclined to sleeper, but then I hardly got to drive it this week, so I don't think my say matters as much this week.

(FYI Christchurch is in the South Island, so I'm not in any danger :) But hopefully I'll get a solid review next week. Now we wait for @McClarenDesign's car, now two weeks in the making....)

Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) '54
3.9L
149 hp / 4,000 rpm
223 ft-lb / 2,500 rpm
1,309 kg (2,886 lbs)
358 pp

149 horsepower from 3.9L is just...well...not very many horses now is it? Sigh. At least it looks cool!

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:37.452 - 334 - Opel Tigra 1.6i '99
1:37.612 - 338 - Volkswagen Polo GTI '01
1:37.626 - 349 - Honda Civic 1500 3door 25i '83
1:37.699 - 337 - Toyota Aqua S '11
1:37.817 - 340 - Honda 1300 Coupe 9 S '70
1:37.916 - 341 - Mazda Demio Sport '03
1:37.924 - 358 - Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) '54
1:38.323 - 340 - Toyota Carina ED 2.0 X 4WS '89
1:38.351 - 344 - Nissan March 12SR '07

It's no faster than your garden-variety 2nd-generation Mazda Demio. Heck, a PT Cruiser is two entire seconds quicker!

Got it up to 101 mph on both the front and back straights. With only 2 gears to play with, it was close to its top speed.

Maybe with 3 more gears and a few dozen more horses, it would be much faster.

Tuesday I was afraid that my PS3 was about to die, or already had. Wednesday I was afraid that I was about to die (heart scare, but as you can see I'm alright). While I was more than a little miffed about missing yet another #GranTurismoTuesday race series, I was even more upset about not being able to show off my Lightning McQueen tribute featuring last week's '54 Vette.

Took a photo... and the oddest thing happened. Behold, PROOF of the ghost in the machine. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce Mr. Ted Thomas!

City%2Bof%2BArts%2Band%2BSciences%2B-%2BNight.jpg

Ted Thomas in the flesh, so to speak.
So before this I mentioned that we were going to celebrate "spite". It's what keeps me looking young despite all of these years. It's the best part of waking up (nobody drinks Folgers anymore, do they @Obelisk ?). It's how Americans transitioned from "Yes We Can" to "Make America Great Whenever". It's also the emotion I expect many to have once they look at their GT Credits account, at least based on previous experience. But perhaps the best example can be found in the story of a young tractor manufacturer and the solution to the service-after-the-sale employed by a similar ego to our new impotent dictator.

Congratulations Ferruccio Lamborghini!

Lamborghini_Miura_P400_SV_Bertone_Prototype_1967_PD_PB0085_PB_2008.jpg

Isn't this convenient? (Pebble Beach, 2008)
It's the 1967 Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype CN.0706!!!

1. Expect a Ferruccio Lamborghini movie in the near future.
2. Don Eduardo Miura and Gian Paolo Dallara. Nuff said.
3. See this week's "Playing With TTs!" at Monza on the GT6 Online Community.
4. This -

5. If right now you're thinking "I've seen a video of one burning, perhaps I should post it here", let me be the first to remind you that Dante has had your individual level of Hell waiting for quite some time. What took so long? DIAF? Watch this instead, it'll save you're soul.
6. If you've gone this long playing Gran Turismo and are still worried about Credits, you're doing it wrong.

(P.S. Fingers crossed, but I think the HDMI cable was the culprit, despite a rather iffy port. We'll see this Tuesday.)

Last edited:
21LbmX7.jpg

The earliest Corvettes are like the embarrassing stories your mother always loves to tell about the stupid things you did when you were very young, you'd prefer she'd mention some of the good things you managed to do when you were older and wiser. The original Corvette's biggest problem off the bat was that it didn't appeal to either of the two major segments in American car culture at the time. The underpowered inline-six wouldn't go over with the Hot-Rod crowd, and the floaty suspension meant Sports Car fans would keep looking to Europe for their rides.

LSq36Gj.jpg

And of course, we can't talk about this car without mentioning the poor transmission, which was a major handicap in any sporty driving. Comparing the Corvette on paper to the BMW 507, the cars are very similar in profile, power, and weight.

ZxnAiBP.jpg

The 507's 4-speed transmission alone made it able to easily outrun the Corvette on Mount Panorama's long straights however, making for an easy victory. All these factors definitely makes it understandable why the Corvette was initially a sales disappointment and nearly lasted less than six years rather than 60.

Si8KoHd.jpg

Thankfully though, Zora Arkus-Duntov intervened and turned what had initially been a Beater into a Le Mans class winner before the Corvette's first generation had ended, and then turned it into an icon in the decades that followed.

xXskKAp.jpg

Corvette: This is Your Life

Last edited:
I was gonna start this review with "Flashback to the 50's", but that's kind of hard for all of us except @Draggon. :lol:

I see what you did there young master nismo. Didn't your parents teach you to be nice to old folks? You silly generation y people, in 30 years you'll be wondering how we managed to put up with you.

While I may have been an infant when the C1 was new, I did get to see the C2 Stingray premiered at the dealership. So there. :lol:

And welcome back Mc, you've been missed.

in 30 years you'll be wondering how we managed to put up with you.
The way the school system's going, in 30 years I'll probably still be wondering how you balance a chequebook, or cook a proper dinner, or pay the rent. But luckily, I'll be able to find the length of a side of a triangle! :lol:

Anyways, after a little bit of farming, a rather expensive purchase, an oil change and some test laps in my backyard, I'm ready for some racing! See you guys Tuesday night! :sly:

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_2.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_3.jpg

(Also, my car's eyelashes look better than yours.)

Last edited:
Catching up on last week.
Powergliding through the Matterhorn!

Dwz4hLeQfP5axk85E_0.jpg

So, let me preface this review by saying that the laptime I recorded with this car was so trash I won't even bother sharing it. Nissan and Toyota Hatches including the Primera are all faster than this 100,000cr car. So in a practicality standpoint in GT6, this car is utter trash. But this isn't Duel of the Week, and we don't discriminate on tuning or price points here. So it's time to see how this stock car does, and even get in some Ayy LMAO's after test driving it.

Test Drive

2996g5y9e4s46GSUZo_0.jpg mOxjllaQFW2AR5Jkm_0.jpg

Let's just get the terrible suspension out of the way first. It sucks. Have fun turning into sharp corners at high speeds. You probably won't be able too. Just a lot of Corvette face being sucked into and grinding against multiple barriers. Not very fun. I would recommend a decent suspension tune before driving this thing seriously.

Dazl4q1LQ7VoKrF0jW_0.jpg

Once you are able to get past the horrid suspension, the exhaust note sticks out as particularly ugly. It's about as smooth as a James May Brick Corvette V8 Smoothie. Not very fun to listen to. The 2-Speed Powerglide isn't good for going up hills, it isn't good for racing, and it's no fun to shift either. I'd recommend putting a 5-speed or customizable gearbox on before driving too. As far as the car looks, not to great either. It hasn't gotten the iconic dual-headlights yet from later C1's, and other cars of the time did this concept better in my opinion. Not that the jagged GT4-style graphics are helping my opinion any. I also notice on the sides a distinct lack of a large white patch. Overall, very rocket-aged and hasn't stood the test of time extremely well. It's just not a very fun car to drive stock. It's kind of a brick.

Ayy LMAO

Since it isn't a very fun car to drive, let's tune this car because GT6 provides us the tools to make this car fun. Throw all of the upgrades on and you get...

pCzW2eBWQhy4j11YLE_0.jpg

(One wheel lifting off!)

518 PP
499 HP
586.6 ft-lb of torque
1,071kg of weight
Power to Weight of 2.38 kg/hp
F/R Weight Distribution of 58:42
Supercharged

Not too shabby for a quick tune of a sub-400pp car. The price still hasn't been justified though. Let's lap the Matterhorn Riffelsee and compare the time to some other cars. I have a red Ferrari Enzo "Mario" and a yellow Audi R8 4.2 "Bowser" lined up alongside the purple Corvette to test it.

The Corvette got a lap time of 1:23.137, this is only .106 behind the Ferrari Enzo "Mario's" 1:23.031 and ahead of the Audi R9 4.2 "Bowser's" 1:26.160. Both cars I tested had performance points greater than the tuned Corvette C1, the Audi R8 costs slightly less, but it has a higher PP and less performance. The Ferrari Enzo is slightly faster, but it has a significantly higher price point than this tune.

Overall, a win for team tuners.
QNK4sPosQvtor309kC_0.jpg

Tuning Dedication

If you couldn't tell from the nicknames I gave to the cars I time trial'd, this week's tune has something to do with the Mario Brothers. I think I found the car that Waluigi would drive in GT6. Brace yourself, the transparency tool in Photoshop is absolutely beautiful.

wah.jpg

What does this car have to do with Waluigi? It's kind of unorthodox. There are much better choices for choosing a car, or picking this guy as your character. They both handle pretty strangely, the rear tires lift off on the Corvette and Waluigi is a pretty unproportioned character with some clumsy animations. You're probably better off choosing a different character or car like Mario or the Ferrari Enzo once you tune this one. But if you truly master the art of Wah, you can overcome any sort of threats that may oppose you, like the Italian Plumber in his Italian Supercar, or Bowser in his turtle-shell R8. The power hidden within team Wah is waiting for you to tap in, so give it a ride today! I've always picked Waluigi in games he appears in, so having a fitting car to represent him may make me choose this tuned C1 more online.

Overall, the tune probably wasn't worth it, it's still kind of odd to turn, the exhaust note sounds as awkward as Waluigi with five gears and there are probably better options out there.

So, for the verdict, this one doesn't live up to the classic car hype. I would recommend a C3 or the BMW 507 over this one.

Beater.
(Sleeper when tuned, but then again, almost anything in this game is.)

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

After looking at the shots taken, I've concluded the answer is behind door 3.

Numbers 1 & 2 are from the same track in Forza 4, as is number 4.

Once again, Vic, I am amazed. However, if you look at the photo on our GT Community time trial post, you'll see that the track is actually Monza, not Le Sarthe.

All images were edited in post production, the exact special sauce is a closely guarded secret blend of herbs and spices, in case we decide to do this again in the future. Thank you to everyone that submitted a guess. Lots of them very astute and very entertaining.

Vic, congrats and I look forward to the garbage you subject us to for next week.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

Once again, Vic, I am amazed. However, if you look at the photo on our GT Community time trial post, you'll see that the track is actually Monza, not Le Sarthe.

All images were edited in post production, the exact special sauce is a closely guarded secret blend of herbs and spices, in case we decide to do this again in the future. Thank you to everyone that submitted a guess. Lots of them very astute and very entertaining.

Vic, congrats and I look forward to the garbage you subject us to for next week.

Well I always aim to impress others whilst maintaining some humbleness. :D

Would be interesting to see what the others had written for it, quite curious to be honest. :P

Given that my birthday is on the Friday and knowing that GT6 does give out cars from your birth year as a present, If the car i'm gifted isn't something we haven't already done then that'll be my pick for next week. :)

Failing that, I can always break out my inner Schadenfreude and pick a nightmare of a car. :mischievous:

Well @Vic Reign93 ... I'm not shy, so here's my failed attempts at guessing!

#3 is the different one because it's the only pic showing the car in motion!

Cheers

#3 because the car isn't in a marked white parking line (spot)
Cheers

#1 because it's the only pic not showing the headlights... (front of the car)

Cheers

Ok... last guess. #4 because it's using the obviously new cartoon filter???

Cheers

Cheers

Back