Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

May I join in chaps ?
I'm sort of trying out random things to do with GT6 seeing as I'm retiring from track making (sort of). bit of quick match here & there.
What are the rules & is this arcade or private club ? Thanks in advance :cheers:
You're more than welcome to join in, mate! Vic basically covered everything, though it is to be noted that participation in the race meets, as encouraged as it is, isn't compulsory. Even if you can't make the races, just mess with it in free run and tell us what you think of it. And the write up doesn't have to be all glamourous and detailed. Just needs an opinion! :cheers:

I apologize for my rage-out last night. I really was not interested in dealing with the SRF.

It just adds too much grip, and I feel like it's a crutch perk more than anything.

I apologize for my rage-out last night. I really was not interested in dealing with the SRF.

It just adds too much grip, and I feel like it's a crutch perk more than anything.

That's fine, no worries about it. 👍

I know a good number of us (myself included) don't run SRF outside of COTW and the main reason we do is that we welcome all skill levels and ages and it just makes things easier for us all.

I understand your point regarding it being a crutch perk, but it's not like we're going around and claiming we're better than drivers who don't use it because that would be just petty 🤬 to be honest, of course that also applies when the roles are reversed and it's that mindset of one or the other side claiming they are superior that rubs me the wrong way.

Now that's not saying you did do that, you have a understandable gripe with SRF, but you also didn't act elitist about it either which is perfectly fine, heck I can respect that.

So in summary, I'm ok with people who complain about SRF because everyone's got the right to an opinion about it, I'm not ok with people claiming to be better than those who do use it or don't use it, because that's when my patience goes to zero.

Hopefully that sets the record straight on the whole thing. :)

It's something we could do occasionally alongside the normal TT, Something just for relaxation and it allows more custom tracks to be showcased as well.

Food for thought. ;)

But anyways, after dragging myself away from the Forza 7 Demo, I'm now playing catch up on 5 weeks worth of cars.

Starting with the bulky, Jaguar powered Lister Storm V12 Race Car.

Packing a huge 7 litre V12 from Jaguar, the road version made around 550hp which was good for 208mph which actually made it the fastest 4 seater in the world until it lost out to the Brabus Rocket. :drool:

Despite only making 4 road cars ( 3 still survive to this day. ) They got the car homologated for Le Mans 1995 which was also the debut of the Mclaren F1 GTR which went on to win that race, Lister's lone car didn't finish after the gearbox blew itself to pieces 40 laps in.

That DNF kinda set the tone for next few years for the Storm failed to finish at the Daytona 24hr race in 1996, finished 19th overall at Le Mans that year, finished 4th in class at the '97 Daytona 24 after a redesign, but once again failed to finish Le Mans with both cars going out.

That happened again at the '98 Daytona 24 and they weren't even invited to Le Mans that year so at this point you'll be forgiven if just decided to say, Screw it and went home after the '98 season.

They did, but to redesign it again for the FIA GT Championship.

Now in the shape of the one we have in game, It picked up a handful of podiums in 1999 and was ready to take on the 21st century with a clear focus.

In 2000, they scored 5 wins and ended up winning the championship that year, they wouldn't win another championship, but it was a constant success with 12 victories with its final one in 2003 and the factory team finally retired the car in 2005 and as of 2007 no more Storms were racing anymore.

In GT6, the Storm is making nearly 600hp stock and was over 230kgs lighter than then the road car, but it was still heavy at 1,438kgs and it was the weight that most of us took away from driving the Storm, straight line speed while good also wasn't exceptional either.

Brakes were good mind you, you could really stand on them and the car would respond just like that.

In stock form it was tricky to drive consistently, but a tune I found on here made it much more controllable and agile and made it fun to drive.

I'm willing to give it a Neutral verdict because it's generally lost to the stockyards of many players and it deserves a second chance in my eyes.

Verdict: Neutral

Next up is another race car, but is a lot more known and raced.

Step up the Mazda MX-5 Touring Car.

With over 200hp from its race tuned 4 cylinder engine and weighing under 800kgs, its capable of taking on cars with much more power and with its slick RH tyres can carve up the most technical tracks with ease.

It is however quite low on power compared to similar PP cars as both Jack and Ash brought out a Lancia Delta Rally Car and VW Scirocco GT24 racer and humiliated the MX-5 on the long straights of Bathurst.

But that's to be expected as both of those machines cost many times more than what the MX-5 costs, plus you can do quite a lot more customisation to the MX-5 too.

Custom wing? yep, wheels and gauges? yep, Paint and changing racing numbers? yep, Turbo or Supercharging? that too, it's a very personalise able machine.

It also brought great racing to the table as you would expect from an MX-5.

No surprise that I'll call it a Sleeper for just being a versatile track day car (Bro :P)

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

In the immortal words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different."

Next up is the Daihatsu Mira/Cuore.

With a 660cc turbo 4 banger making 63hp and sent to the front wheels via a 5 speed manual gearbox, it's about as quick as a Kei Car can be given the limits on Kei Cars, but in GT6's early days it was a real wolf in sheeps clothing due to a glitch giving it WAY more power than it should have.

We're not talking like 250- 300hp, but near 600hp from 660cc's of raw power. :eek:

Having experienced it firsthand, it was still wanting to spin the tyres even at over 150mph on RH tyres, but it could pull like a freight train when traction was there.

As for the "Killer Mira" in stock form, it was a barrel of laughs despite struggling to get past 100mph as you could chuck it about and it'll just leave you with a big ol' smile on your face. :D

For just 11k, it's cheap fun with a lot of tuning potential with nearly 190hp fully tuned and less than 630kgs to haul around as well.

Another Sleeper for me. :)👍

From Japan and back to the U.K. with the TVR Tuscan Speed 6 being brought out to celebrate TVR's return to making production cars.

With a 4 litre Straight 6 upfront making 360hp and being used to haul a 1,100kg body around, The Tuscan like many TVR's before it was no slouch with top speeds over 180mph and very low 4 second 0-60 runs to its name.

Of course, it's more than just a straight line pony, it can handle too, just don't expect it to play nice with you. :cool:

You got understeer if you came in to a turn too hot and then oversteer coming out the turns if you were lead footed or just didn't care about the rear tyres. :sly:

I personally found it to be a good drivers car when you knew what you could get away with.

Not a complete sleeper, but not far off either.

And Finally, the show car that wanted to be a road car, The Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler.

Despite its retro hotrod looks, it was powered by a 3.5 V6 making around 250hp and hooked up to a 4 speed Autobox.

First gear was quite long, longer than most one night stands, but not much longer than that with 60mph reachable in 1st gear. :D:lol:

Now here's the part that'll probably drop your jaws, The stock gearbox is actually not bad despite the long first gear as shifts are decently quick and would happily take some extra power from the V6. :eek:

Despite the Standard looking visuals, the open top means the interior is somewhat detailed with working gauges which does make the Prowler stand out among its fellow standard cars.

Wheels can't be changed, but the paint can be and a Custom wing can be added too.

Handling wasn't expectational but didn't frustrate me either, not exactly lighting my pants on fire, but not making me lose the will to live either.

In summary, decent quirks, not boring, but could do a lot better.

And christ that took longer than expected, Started around 2AM and here i'm over 2 hours later after doing the research for this write up.:crazy:

Totally worth it though. :P

Chrysler Prowler '02
3.5L
249 hp / 6,500 rpm
255 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,287 kg (2,837)
427 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:25.611 - 456 - Chrysler 300C '05
1:25.623 - 442 - Honda CR-Z Touring Car
1:25.654 - 433 - Acura NSX '91
1:25.660 - 468 - Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe '04
1:25.661 - 438 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94
1:25.662 - 441 - Nismo 270R '94
1:25.702 - 433 - Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero (S15) '02
1:25.715 - 428 - Honda S2000 '99
1:25.723 - 447 - Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT '03
1:25.733 - 492 - Tesla Model S Signature Performance '12
1:25.768 - 435 - Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
1:25.772 - 462 - Holden Commodore SS '04
1:25.778 - 443 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
1:25.794 - 474 - Chevrolet Silverado SST '02
1:25.802 - 466 - Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG '00
1:25.816 - 442 - Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster (Z33) '03
1:25.826 - 443 - Toyota Prius Touring Car
1:25.858 - 483 - Fisker Karma EcoSport '12
1:25.858 - 456 - Nismo GT-R LM Road Going Version '95
1:25.869 - 443 - Audi TTS Coupe '09
1:25.897 - 431 - Renault Sport Clio V6 Phase 2 '03
1:25.925 - 440 - Renault Sport Mégane R.S. Trophy '11
1:25.935 - 440 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
1:25.939 - 446 - Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
1:26.093 - 427 - Chrysler Prowler '02
1:26.206 - 440 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT Spec.B '03
1:26.207 - 419 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
1:26.208 - 442 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
1:26.222 - 473 - Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
1:26.237 - 462 - Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
1:26.241 - 441 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT '03
1:26.248 - 439 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version II '95
1:26.252 - 468 - Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70
1:26.276 - 402 - Dome Dome-Zero '78
1:26.286 - 480 - Plymouth Superbird '70
1:26.359 - 442 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07
1:26.372 - 427 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT-8 '02
1:26.398 - 449 - BMW M Coupé '98
1:26.460 - 479 - Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70
1:26.534 - 490 - Dodge Challenger R/T '70
1:26.543 - 427 - Volkswagen Golf IV GTI Touring Car '01

It's half a second slower than Chrysler's own hemi-powered 300C. While the Prowler looks awesome, it simply doesn't have the right engine or transmission. It needed a V8 and a 5 or 6-speed manual. What were they thinking? Beater!

A week being on the Prowl...

With another retro spec class type of car, the Prowler had the hot rod culture squarely in its sights... like c'mon, just look at it. What else could you think of? The second of Chrysler's retro(ish) offerings we've looked at, this one should be better received at least... right???

Th8OOz1.jpg

I've actually picked on this car quite a bit in my GT6 career, most of it being tuned of course. Going back to stock though, that was different. Just like a hot rod, it can and will smoke the tires if you let it... even though it's no power mad monster by any standard. Unless you put it up against a Vette that is. ;) Back to that point in a little bit...

Stock, for me anyways, it's more show than go. It is capable, but nothing to write home about. Tuned however, brings it to life... or at least how I think it should have been like. Then it's about even for both show and go. It wasn't as much of a stunning revelation that the PT Cruiser was, as that one still gets to me of how much I actually liked that FF action, but in my mind, I won't be getting rid of it either. Neutral status from me as it sits stock.

Tuned though, it made @Vic Reign93 's fully tuned C1 Vette look slow... enough for him to say it would be used only as a cruiser. Driving Miss Daisy to the bingo is a good retirement package I guess. :lol:

Chrysler cars 2 👍👍 Vic's C1 Zero :ouch: Ahhh, the universe is safe after all!!! :cool:

Cheers

Prowling around, looking for trouble...
"Plymouth Prowler" sounds better than "Chrysler Prowler", no?
Daytona International Speedway.jpg

Daytona International Speedway_1.jpg
Daytona International Speedway_2.jpg
Daytona International Speedway_3.jpg

So, the Prowler. One of the first unlockable cars I really loved, way back on TOCA World Touring Cars. I always had it in it's factory yellow, hence my colour choice for Tuesday. It's certainly a unique looking thing, hailing back to the hot rod style of the 30's. But it packs all the punch of a modern sports car. Sadly, there's no flaming V8 under there, you'll have to make do with a V6. Which is disappointing, but to be honest not surprising. What did surprise me was the face that the interior is fully functional. It's an open top car, so there is a "detailed" interior but 99% of the time they're awfully done anyway (think back to the Audi Streamliner or Tank Car). However the Prowler is the only technically standard car I know that actually has a functional interior! So it's got that going for it.

It's a bit of a whale around corners and off the line, with a relatively tall 4 speed gearbox. Again, not unlike the hot rods of 80 years ago. It strikes a bit of a balance between power and torque when driving, meaning you can focus on either when driving. Use the power to get around or short shift slightly and use more of the torque. However you drive it, be wary that it's not really a track suited car. As @Baron Blitz Red has just mentioned as I'm typing this, in stock form it's more of a show car than a performance car, with the ability to go fast, sure, but it's not exactly going to snap any underwear elastic.

I did however find that this thing is perfect for cruising! It helps that PD keeps the roof down, meaning you can join a cruise lobby and go low and slow without looking out of place at all! If anything, everyone else looks out of place, in their chrome gold Bugattis and 1000bhp Skylines... plus that one guy in a Tomahawk. (THERE'S ALWAYS ONE!!!!!)

It's got some good merits, but those merits happen to be everything but actually racing. Sleeper is what the Prowler gets from me!

This week is the best week, as it's my birthday this week. In fact, it's my birthday this #GranTurismoTuesday....
So hopefully I can join y'all for that! In the meantime, it's time for a new car!

Congratulations @Thematic!!!

1_DM1011-2.jpg

It's the 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS25 Type S (R32)!!!!!

N/A RWD Goodness! Awwwwww yeah!
Some people seem to forget that the Skyline platform isn't all twin turbo 4wd action! Get behind the wheel and try not to slide it round too much.
This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Jumping Junction, as requested by @Obelisk! Although I'll set up a more down to earth TT for those of you who don't want to spread your wings and fly... though no clue which track I'll go for yet.

See you my birthday Tuesday!!! :sly:

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "When you're in a topless car, everybody will see you" Playing with TT's event...

Vic_Reign93: 1:39.018

G_ASHER: 1:40.010

BaronBlitzRed: 1:40.061

Nismonath5: 1:41.044

Rob_on_Drums: 1:41.035

thematic604: 1:44269

Cheers

Funny thing was is that I was actually thinking about bringing this car up for a future pick, guess someone had the same idea. :D

But in any case, I mentioned this car some time back in this thread as an example for how bad PD could botch the car sounds by making it sound like more than what it's got. :crazy:

You'll see what I mean soon enough. :mischievous:

I bought this car for that very reason 👍
Heck I bought one, tuned it to its limits and left the stock exhaust on and it was good fun, might have to go back and run it again at some point. :)

It's partly why on some race nights where I allow tuning I don't always equip the race exhaust because I like my cars to sound that bit different to others.

Hell I'm guilty of the very thing I just mentioned, Semi race exhaust on the TVR Tuscan gives it a V8 vibe.
Another example was a first gen MX-5 sounding like the Escudo did on GT2 with a certain exhaust.

I mention sounds in a negative way because I know PD can do better as seen so far with GT Sport, but on the other hand if it's the right kind of odd then i'll happily run with it because hey, it's here and it won't be sorted, Might as well have fun with it. :D

This week is the best week, as it's my birthday this week. In fact, it's my birthday this #GranTurismoTuesday....
So hopefully I can join y'all for that! In the meantime, it's time for a new car!

Congratulations @Thematic!!!

View attachment 675246
It's the 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS25 Type S (R32)!!!!!

N/A RWD Goodness! Awwwwww yeah!
Some people seem to forget that the Skyline platform isn't all twin turbo 4wd action! Get behind the wheel and try not to slide it round too much.
This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Jumping Junction, as requested by @Obelisk! Although I'll set up a more down to earth TT for those of you who don't want to spread your wings and fly... though no clue which track I'll go for yet.

See you my birthday Tuesday!!! :sly:

If it's your birthday, we should be driving the car PD gives you as a gift.

Hmm. We shall do that when I get back from Fiji, then. Speaking of which...

Car Of The Week Public Announcement
I'll be heading away to Fiji for a couple of weeks, my first experience abroad (and on a plane!) I'll be flying out on the 30th, and returning on October 12th.
As you may expect, I won't be taking my PS3 with me so I've asked our two resident HOF members @Baron Blitz Red and @Vic Reign93 to keep the place under control while I'm gone. I've left the duties totally up to them, so wether they get someone to pick a car or pick one themselves, that's entirely up to them. TT events will also be up to them, so they may well make a backup club or just free run it, I don't know. It's entirely up to them.

So, yeah. That'll be happening. And of course, when I return we'll do the car I got for my birthday! :cheers:

I've left the duties totally up to them, so whether they get someone to pick a car or pick one themselves, that's entirely up to them.

Speaking for myself, I'm looking forward to finally getting my first pick of 2017... so consider that as a guarantee for one of the upcoming weeks! :mischievous:

EDIT: @Draggon any chance of using your already made backup club during @Nismonath5 's well deserved vacation???

Cheers

Last edited:
In this week's news...

It's time for something new, so let's all say hi to October!!! Since Halloween is all the way at the end of the month, let's start it off with a bang, shall we? There are certain manufacturers in the world of Gran Turismo that share model names with cars that have totally different drivetrains. Going back to the world of GT2, Renault Sport has brought out several examples of that idea to life... both in the real and virtual worlds.

This week's picks will try to figure out which drivetrain is better... kind of. Unlike the Clio, which gave us 2 road going examples, the Megane Trophy series offers up a road and a race car version! Which one will take the trophy home???

uFyp0jr.jpg

This week Cars of the Week...

The 2011 Megane R.S. Trophy

and

The 2011 Megane Trophy Base Model Race Car

Drop on by to Club number 1076603 for this week's events! See you on Tuesday!

EDIT: WARNING!!! There seems to be an issue with race car version where you will get a Tuning Prohibited message when trying to enter a used car. Here's the simple solution...

Adjust the Toe Angle settings to zeroes both front and back, THEN reset back to default settings. This will get you in! I've tried it and it does work! Sorry for the inconvenience people!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Here's the officially unofficial results for the "Jumping for Joy because you were" Playing with TT's event...

Victory_Reign93: 2:19.632

thematic604: 2:28.090

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "Admiring the Skyline of Monaco while" Playing with TT's event...

Victory_Reign93: 1:54.967

thematic604: 2:01.894

Rob_on_Drums: 2:01.907

Cheers

Back