Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

You're missing one COTW entry and its the Nissan R390 Road Car. It should fall under COTW 180 so we should be up to COTW 188.
Oops. I shall fix that...

Anyways first impressions of the EG Civic are nothing short of amazing. In case you missed it, during the racing tonight @Vic Reign93 and I battled it out at Bathurst, and not only did our duel last the entire race, but the finish was too close to call, even for the game!!!

20170816_160752.jpg

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg

Videos and review coming soon!

In case you missed it, during the racing tonight @Vic Reign93 and I battled it out at Bathurst, and not only did our duel last the entire race, but the finish was too close to call, even for the game!!!
Yet there is a second place instead of two winners. But I suppose it's something really pointless that determines who gets the prize (like which one gets processed first).

Yet there is a second place instead of two winners. But I suppose it's something really pointless that determines who gets the prize (like which one gets processed first).
Or perhaps the game secretly tracks split times up to tens of thousandths of a second, or more...
Anyways, we held a 1 lap 1v1 to determine who had to downgrade their tyres for the next race. There, Vic got me by 0.3 seconds.

Or perhaps the game secretly tracks split times up to tens of thousandths of a second, or more...
Anyways, we held a 1 lap 1v1 to determine who had to downgrade their tyres for the next race. There, Vic got me by 0.3 seconds.

As I said on race night, it was the most perfect 🤬 race I've ever had on GT6 and that's something I don't say lightly considering the many epic battles I've been a part of over the years. :P

Started side by side, rarely out of throwing distance of each other and finished side by side in the closest finish ever in a COTW event. :eek:

I'll probably touch on this again in my review of the Civic, but for now, allow the famous Honda tuner Spoon to showcase what the EG model can do when you decide to throw some money at it. ;)

English Captions are available too if you toggle the option to do so. :bowdown:

I have a theory about why the game gave @Vic Reign93 the win. Maybe since the finish was exactly level, the game then made a decision based on who had the fastest lap, which would make sense, because our fastest laps were..

Vic: 2:48.8xx
Me: 2:48.9xx

So wether you look at the results of the decision duel or the fastest laps, Vic won it either way.

Last edited:
Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '95
1.6L
165 hp / 7,500 rpm
118 ft-lb / 7,000 rpm
1,040 kg (2,293 lbs)
383 pp

118 mph on the stretch.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:30.048 - 415 - Volvo C30 R-Design '09
1:30.076 - 389 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '97
1:30.126 - 403 - Mini Cooper S '11
1:30.170 - 407 - Audi TT Coupe 1.8T Quattro '00
1:30.175 - 394 - Peugeot 206 RC '03
1:30.267 - 383 - Honda CR-X SiR '90
1:30.339 - 410 - Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Quad Cab '04
1:30.383 - 408 - Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R '02
1:30.397 - 387 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R '98
1:30.410 - 393 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS (R30) '83
1:30.424 - 409 - Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4 '06
1:30.448 - 408 - Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60
1:30.456 - 408 - Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 DOHC Turbo VR-4 '89
1:30.471 - 395 - Toyota Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '99
1:30.477 - 389 - Mini Cooper S '02
1:30.510 - 411 - Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91
1:30.529 - 389 - Mazda RX-7 GT-Limited (FC, J) '85
1:30.535 - 383 - Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '95
1:30.565 - 389 - Nissan Primera 20V '01
1:30.574 - 371 - MG MGF '97
1:30.578 - 404 - Volkswagen New Beetle RSi '00
1:30.599 - 391 - Mini Cooper S '05
1:30.622 - 392 - Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
1:30.696 - 423 - Nissan mm-R Cup Car '01
1:30.703 - 391 - Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07
1:30.706 - 382 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '94
1:30.728 - 401 - Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '01
1:30.805 - 400 - Audi Quattro '82
1:30.822 - 407 - Ford Taurus SHO '98
1:30.822 - 402 - Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupé '54
1:30.843 - 390 - Peugeot 207 GTi '07
1:30.847 - 379 - Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '91
1:30.908 - 398 - Toyota Celica SS-II (ST202) '97
1:30.911 - 386 - Ford Focus ST170 '03
1:30.913 - 383 - Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
1:30.960 - 383 - Hyundai Tiburon GT '01

This Civic tied the ST185 Celica and Nissan Primera 20V, and keeps up with the final generation Celica SS-II as well as Galant VR-4.

Super sleeper status. I love these bubble hatch EG Civics. Hard to pick a favorite between EF, EG, and EK for me.

Hey @Nismonath5, what I want to know, is where did this talent come from? Have you been sandbagging us? First you run head to head with @Vic Reign93 , and now you've got 3 seconds on the rest of us in the TT. Something's fishy....

whereareyougettingthesefactsifyouarespeaking_ad491c12b8f354398a6c9294cffd352c.jpg
I dunno, but I sure hope it's here to stay! This Civic is really working wonders, and even though I can cross my heart in saying I'd never turned a wheel in an EG prior to this week, I'm throwing it around with full confidence in its ability! There must be something about N/A 1600 FF cars..

I can assure you guys of one thing, what @Nismonath5 did to you guys by going 3 seconds faster has been dealt with...

I chopped 2.9 seconds off what he did.:D

So yeah, the sandbags were nowhere near the cars, although the inevitable flood of tears will put them to good use. :sly:

Having said that, I need to get these writes up done and there's no time like the present to do so.

Let's start with the car that I drove at my Induction to the COTW Hall Of Fame, the 1993 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR V Spec N1.

Now in the past I've mentioned the whole Japanese Horsepower Agreement which meant cars couldn't have more than 276hp (Which many cars ended up breaking anyway.) so I won't touch on it too much, But the R32 also had more power than advertised, around or over 300hp from the legendary 2.6 Inline 6 with twin turbocharging.

The engine, whilst high reving didn't like making power up there in stock trim so shifting through the 5 speed gearbox lower down the revs was the better option.

Handling was quite nice, Nissan made that its main objective when max power was capped so it was equipped with all wheel drive which had Nissan's ATTESA system and a light weight body(compared to its successors which weighed more than 1500+Kgs.) keeping the weight safely under 1500kgs.

As for the racing on the night, good battles up and down the field and of course the battle at Monaco in a battle of the hall of famers against @Baron Blitz Red was a damn good race. 👍

We also took some time to race its championship dominating, blue race counterpart the Calsonic R32 GTR.

Packing well over 500hp in a stripped out body with all wheel drive, the Calsonic was fast and quite stable, admittedly that last part I didn't get the memo about as I was throwing that car around Fuji like nobodies business. :P

It was quick accelerating, handled great and had a set of brakes you could really jump on and know that it'll stop you rather rapidly.

Normally a cars reputation or iconic status can make it harder to claim Sleeper status because of the expectations you have going in for it, but both R32's hold up that very reputation very well.

Both R32's: Sleeper(s) :)👍

Now on to the BMW 120i.

Put simply, not utterly terrible, but made pointless by its more superior Diesel brother which we reviewed in the past so a good number of things said there could be relevant to this too, only less powerful.

Verdict: Beater 👎

Now on to a F1 and a Honda, not an Honda F1 mind you as most of us wouldn't even finish a race. :lol:

I joke of course because Alonso did slam home a belter of a race before the F1 break and that was worthy of praise. :cheers:

So we'll get the F1 rocketship out the way first, I opened up the tyre choices because I rather have guys/girls stay and race than not and not. ;)

Packing a 3.5 litre V12 making nearly 900hp and capable of 18,000rpm, the FGT can accelerate like a rocket through its 7 speed semi automatic gearbox to its gear limited top speed of around 220mph.

Because it's being built from the ground up by PD it has a few banned options like ABS, TCS and even Launch Control.

Handling is one heck of a tricksy mistress, it requires your complete attention and even then it'll happily take a pool cue to your family jewels if your level of talent isn't enough for it. :embarrassed:

Happily this is where many nights of sorta training you guys paid off for me, you guys didn't rage quit like I sorta expected to happen and were quite capable of holding it on the track. :lol:

We even ran a mini enduro race at Monza and again you guys held your own for the most part so for that I thank you, Thank you for paying attention and improving your driving limits that much further.

Also on the Saturday meet up, we had someone from on here join us and it turns out he runs or is part of a group that runs FGT races and from my racing time with him, a very capable FGT racer and his name was @DestenDeath2. :cheers:

As for the Formula GT, it's still an incredible machine, but the likes of the Lotus 97T and the RBX cars have taken the shine off its abilities.

Verdict: Neutral

And last but definitely not least, the 1995' Honda Civic Sir ll.

The car that's the butt of all the Ricer jokes and is the car most think of when the subject of Ricers come up.

Is there truth to it? Of course, stereotypes always have some degree of truth to them, but does that mean that it's a terrible car??

If the racings anything to go by, it's not even remotely terrible. :cool:

Powering the front wheels is a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder engine making around 170hp which is sent through a 5 speed gearbox.

Weighing in at just over a ton, it felt very agile despite a 59-41 weight distribution and it seemed to inspire one Kiwi to go hell for leather in it. :sly:

Anyone who saw the results from the Bathurst race will know the ending and how bonkers it was, but to the ones who reviewed it afterwards, you can see more and more details which made that battle that little bit more epic.

At no point could either of us relax, me because Nismo had a tyre advantage on me and Nismo because of me being tenacious as hell and also because both of us had to keep planning for all possibilitys.

Example A: I was behind Nismo going up the mountain on the last lap which meant I was up against it and he may well have pulled off the escape had I not cut the perfect line through Forrest Elbow and got back into slipstreaming range.

Example B: Last corner on laps 3 & 4, Nismo had the line and put me on the outside for the turn which put me in the risky spot of trying an outside pass, on the last lap we were in the same spot, but this time I jumped across to the inside and got the line for the turn.

Then it became a drag race to the line which ended in a literal dead heat, fun thing I noticed is each lap before the last one we were getting closer to each other everytime we crossed the finish line. :bowdown:

There's likely much more to notice in that battle, but here's the cliff notes, there's a damn good reason the EG Civic is well liked by tuners, it's a brilliant base for a project car and is a very capable machine when tuned right.

And don't take my word for it, just ask the guy who nominated it for this week. :D

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Dirt-Cheap Dead Heat!!!
What a car!!! The EG Civic might well be Car Of The Year...
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_2.jpg

I bet no-one could predict how this run would turn out!

Ask a car guy what cars come to mind when you say "Ricer". Chances are, the Civic will be mentioned a few times. A few bad apples spoil the bunch, and sadly that saying is more than applicable for the Civic. It's cheap, cheerful and packs a punch, so naturally it became popular among so called "tuners" who appear to take influence from "Pimp My Ride" and Need For Speed Underground 2..

6003d1258622677-what-do-you-call-rice-ricer_civic_2.jpg

...like this monstrosity right here...

But really, it's not a bad car. Dad used to have an EG, and it was a blast to drive! It was as low as legally possible (100mm or 4 inches), had big but still tasteful rims, and a bit of characteristic sunburn on the hood. And it was zippy! Tackling the winding roads of the Karangahaki Gorge with ease, it was a little on the gutless side, sure, but more than made up for it in manouverability and speed through corners!

Like I mentioned earlier, I can honestly say that before this week I'd never owned or raced in an EG Civic in GT6. It was a totally new car to me. I simply purchased it, gave it a harlequin paint job and some rims and took it for a test run, same as I do with most of my COTW vehicles. Later that night, I was doing the Tuned Car Festival race at Cape Ring, and sort of just trying it with various cars. I embarrassed the competition in my LCC Rocket, fought for a win in a highly tuned Nissan Primera, and wasted everyone in a Amuse S2000 GT1. But then I decided to see what the stock Civic would do against the pack, just for giggles. All I did was put some SS tyres on it to at least give it a fighting chance. But, much to my surprise, it won even against cars with over triple the power!

Cape Ring.jpg

Now there's an embarrassed Skyline and Camaro...

I guess I should have taken this as a hint or foreshadowing, but I ended up deducing that the tyres were it's saving grace in that one. So when the races rolled around, and I was back on comfort tyres, I started off with the usual caution. I tried to get a feel for the car, and ended up falling into a comfortable groove. Clearly, it was the right groove, because after only a couple of warm up races, we were headed to Bathurst. I was feeling like a win, but as it turned out, so was Vic...

I think what makes that race my candidate for Race Of The Year is the fact that noone could ever call it one way or another. There were instances where I messed up and Vic pulled a few seconds on me, but then on the flip side I'd catch him. Then he'd make a mistake and I'd capitalize on it, only to have him reel me in like a fish! Every time, we ended up right on eachother's bumpers pushing eachother right to the very limits of the Civic's capability. The fact that our splits each lap were getting closer and closer, I didn't know that, but now that Vic mentions it that seems about right! It was all on for young and old, each lap closer and more intense than the last! On the final lap, I actually crashed at the Dipper, and had to navigate the rest of the downhill run onto the straight with a wobbly car. Eventually though... well, you know full well what happened!

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_6.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_7.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_11.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_12.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_13.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_14.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_16.jpg Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg

One thing I noticed... if you watch the replay of Vic and I on the final drag race to the chequered flag, my throttle actually blipped off for the slightest of moments! Now, if that hadn't happened... how many thousandths of a second would I have won by?!?!?!?! :eek: Ah, but I don't care. That sort of thing is one in a million, and as Vic said post-race, the fact that it came off the back of a race long battle makes it even harder to believe that it actually happened! We held a 1 lap 1v1 to determine who downgraded their tyres, and even that race was decided by only 0.3 seconds!

I later swapped out my Civic for a Primera, and had another pretty awesome race with @Draggon. For the first couple of laps, I was pushing hard but couldn't get near him, and when I finally did waving in his rear view mirror, he didn't exactly pull over and let my by without making me work for it!

Deep Forest Raceway_5.jpg
Deep Forest Raceway_6.jpg
Deep Forest Raceway_7.jpg

Now, there's one more thing for me to mention that I'm sure Vic's itching for me to just hurry up and tell you guys already!!!

You see, after making the video of the epic showdown at Bathurst, I decided we'd better puff our chests a little and, well, I guess "show off" is basically it. Anyways, I did some digging, found Jordan Cox's official FB page, and showed him just what went down at the mountain. And he actually replied!

Screenshot 2017-08-20 at 10.18.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2017-08-20 at 10.19.47 PM.png

So then, the Civic.
What it lacks in speed and acceleration, it more than makes up for in handling and agility!
This isn't a beater. Ohhhhh, no. It's a most definate sleeper. In fact, I'm probably not going to upgrade this thing, I'll just leave it stock! It's one of the sleeper-iest sleepers we've had here at COTW, possibly more of a sleeper than the Primera 20V!!!

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_15.jpg

Back soon with the next car!

Right I'm back, and this week we're racing a car that in all honesty I forgot was on the game. It's so rarely seen and mentioned that when this person suggested this car, it was like meeting an old friend.

Congratulations @Obelisk!!!!!!

well bugger.

8-gt-cars-you-should-add-to-your-dream-garage.jpg

It's the 1999 Lister Storm V12 Race Car!!!!!

From 1600 front wheel drive to 7000 rear wheel drive, I'm predicting much oversteer... be sure to turn some practise laps in advance, you're gonna need them!
This week's Playing With TT's will be taking place at a track still to be decided. See y'all Tuesday!

Ah the Lister Storm, fond memories of it in GT2 as It was the car you had to keep an eye on in Arcade mode Class S racing, but it was also the car you mocked for always coming last when it ran in race trim in GT Mode.

It's always been the odd one out and as previously mentioned forgotten despite being in all major GT releases since GT2. :eek:

No question it's capable of being a powerhouse, but is it just too heavy weight wise or does it just feel too heavy in handling??

Hopefully all questions will be in due time. ;)

Nice, thourough report by @Nismonath5. You can tell how much he likes this car by the in depth review and pics. When that Primera caught up with me at Deep Forest, I figured I was in trouble. The Civic had an advantage in the turns, but damn, that Nissan was fast down the straight. He kept up with me even with a couple of visits to the grass after the final turn.

As if there's any doubt, sleeper!

As I remember, the Lister has got a ridiculous amount of understeer as well as an overated PP.

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "Be sure to be Civic Minded when you're" Playing with TT's event...

Victory_Reign93: 2:22.596

Nismonath5: 2:25.495

GTP_Cowboy: 2:28.470 (*1993 version)

G_ASHER: 2:28.982

BaronBlitzRed: 2:29.208 (*1997 EK Type-R version)

Rob_on_Drums: 2:30.452

thematic604: 2:32.395 (*1992 version)

kunalpradhan5431: 2:33.992

Cheers

Well, I'll say one thing right off the bat. The Storm sounds way different to what I was expecting a harsh, shrill screaming like in GT4 but instead I got semi-decent roar! :D

Sorry I haven't been around in a couple of weeks. I've been busy with work and getting use to a new routine. Hopefully once I move closer to work I'll be able to make it to more of these but for now, I'll make some nights and skip others but I plan to return soon.

In the Eye of the Storm...

It's been a while, actually a long time since I let myself get behind the wheel of the Lister. It didn't take too long to remember why either. For a race car, she's heavy and hard to turn at points. Places that I'm very comfy at became a challenge again. Spa was an example that Vic chose for us on Saturday. Eau Rouge and Radillion are almost second nature to me now, but this car set me back a decade in experience... or so it seemed if there were people watching me. UUUGGGHHHH!!!

It can achieve decent enough speeds, but as it sits stock, there are far too many choices WAY ahead of this car. Even throwing my patented "quick tune" that works on the majority of offerings wasn't enough. @Vic Reign93 offered up a tune he found, and even though I was comfy with it (as I prefer a stiffer setup), most people would probably cringe at the numbers required to make it manageable. "Manageable" being the operative term.

Certain parts of the world are dealing as best as they can with storms that will make the news. Best way is to pack up and get out of Dodge, or if no choices are available, ride it out and hope it passes by without killing you. That pretty sums up the Lister Storm as well. It's way better to watch the pain and misery on the news and just feel empathy, rather than experience it for yourself.

Beater and Forget'er

Cheers

Lethal Lister!!!!
There's a storm brewing...

Mid-Field Raceway.jpg

Once again, Vic finds himself having to actually fight for a win!

My experiences with the Lister Storm go way back to Toca 2 Touring Cars. My younger self (We're talking probably like 6 or 7 years old) unlocked it, and I still remember my dad solemly warning me that it was a mega powerful car that was tricky to drive. For me back then, it was. Then one day I went over to a mate's place and we were playing GT4 arcade mode. This was before I knew about LMP cars and Group C and other far superior machines, so when I saw the Storm in the lineup I naively assumed it was the fastest thing there. I was disappointed when it was actually slower than I expected, and it sounded like total earrape. I couldn't stand that noise!

So you can imagine I wasn't entirely excited to actually buy a Storm in GT6. However, the way better sound was a welcome surprise. It meant I was actually able to get a feel for the car without cringeing at a truly awful noise. So that was a bonus. In the days leading up to Tuesday I made sure to find some time to practise before going up against the opposition. However on race day, I managed to lock horns with Vic and engage in a white-knuckle fight for the win! However, I suffered a minor mistake with disproportionate consequences. I didn't back off enough for the final flip-flop just before the last corner there, and I hit the wall. Maybe I should have aided myself with a dab of brakes, but what's done is done. Still a great race, and one for the COTW archives!

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_2.jpg Mid-Field Raceway_5.jpg Mid-Field Raceway_6.jpg
Nismo vs Vic wasn't the only battle going on at Mid-Field!

The Storm is by no means a light vehicle. I'm not sure how heavy the road going variant was in GT2, but despite appearing to have bodywork filled with holes of various shapes and sizes to aid weight loss, the race car's still a sizeable 1400kgs. This means it's not exactly the most manouverable 90's racecar on offer. It needs that extra braking distance to get it pulled up in time, that extra wheel work to get it around corners, and that extra talent to survive to tell the tale!

So, there are alternatives. Better alternatives. Off the top of my head, the McLaren F1 GTR Longtail, Dodge Viper GTS-R and the Mercedes CLK GTR come to mind. But that doesn't mean the Storm wasn't fun to drive. I had a hoot! It might not be your first choice if you need to win a race, but if you're after a bit more of a challenge, or simply want to drive something that will fight you a little more, then the Storm's your car! Personally, I'm not sure if I'd drive it again. It was fun in a one-make race, but would it have the same effect in a race with a variety of cars, the way GT usually does them? Probably not.. Then again, it did exceed my expectations, and like @Cowboy said, it's a forgotten car.

For that reason, I'm dubbing this one a sleeper!

I didn't get to make many videos of the Storm, but hopefully I'll have time to make more this week alongside the next car. Speaking of which...

...this week's car comes courtesy of @girabyt3!!!!

Allright!! :D

The Mazda Roadster Touring Car!!!!!
Tsukuba Circuit_6.jpg

Cheap, light, beginner-friendly and gorgeous in a variety of colours... The Roadster TC is quite the popular car, I've seen numerous photos of people one-make racing them on the Photo Stream... and it looks like this thing's a blast to drive! Is it? Let's find out!
(Also, let's try again to each pick a unique colour on Tuesday. I've gone for a pearl orange w/ white rims ;))

This week's Playing With TT's will feature the super tight, super compact and super fitting Tsukuba Circuit, the perfect playground for a vehicle of such generous agility! See you guys Tuesday!!!

I didn't expect much from the Storm last Tuesday. It sounds good, and it's relatively fast, but man, the understeer is pretty bad. I've bought and sold it more than a few times. I think the pp rating is too high, it would be more competitive if it lost 40 or 50pp. However, when it's racing against itself it's a whole lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the flogging we gave it last week. I think I'll call it a keeper and look for some tunes online. 👍

As for this week's choice, quite appropriate it's also featured in the current QM at Monaco! Yea I know.....

This week's batch of vids, get 'em while they're fresh!!!
My capture card's on its way, (THE RIGHT ONE THIS TIME!!!!) so hopefully this is one of the last weeks I record with a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini...

(Also quite proud of the picture I shot of @Draggon wiping out at Trial Mountain which I used for the thumbnail of that vid. Making the best of a bad situation, eh?)

Mazda Roadster Touring Car
205 hp / 7,500 rpm
149 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
795 kg (1,753 lbs)
464 PP

1:23.091 - 497 - Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG '02
1:23.169 - 472 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII RS '01
1:23.230 - 473 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR '03
1:23.236 - 460 - Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '03
1:23.238 - 475 - Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) '90
1:23.240 - 461 - Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
1:23.246 - 464 - Lexus IS 200 GT-1 '04
1:23.275 - 511 - Mercedes-Benz SL 600 (R230) '04
1:23.371 - 461 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI '07
1:23.381 - 476 - Ford Mustang Cobra R '00
1:23.383 - 464 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '10
1:23.403 - 453 - Autobacs Garaiya '02
1:23.428 - 454 - Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune Concept By GranTurismo (Z33) '02
1:23.477 - 440 - Amuse S2000 Street Version '04
1:23.480 - 446 - Acura NSX Coupe '97
1:23.506 - 477 - Volkswagen Scirocco GT24 (Volkswagen Motorsport) '08
1:23.530 - 472 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M. Edition '00
1:23.555 - 464 - Mazda Roadster Touring Car
1:23.646 - 458 - Hyundai Clix '01
1:23.653 - 458 - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) '95
1:23.676 - 477 - Jaguar XKR Coupe '99
1:23.696 - 466 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GSR '01
1:23.779 - 456 - Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STi Version '98
1:23.802 - 482 - Jaguar S-Type R '02
1:23.814 - 463 - Tesla Motors Tesla Roadster '08
1:23.823 - 457 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi (Type-II) '02
1:23.866 - 432 - Ford RS200 '84
1:23.879 - 448 - Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00
1:23.889 - 471 - Toyota Supra RZ '97
1:23.895 - 458 - Infiniti Coupe Concept '06
1:23.911 - 458 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version VI '99
1:23.950 - 457 - Infiniti FX45 Concept '02
1:23.980 - 465 - Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13

Of all the cars on that list, I would rather drive the MX-5. There's something about lightweight vehicles that satisfies me. Most of the cars on this list are boats weighing twice as much.

Race Ready Roadster Rocket!
From the hair salon to the race track..
Trial Mountain Circuit.jpg

Vic runs for it with Ash, Nismo and the rest in hot pursuit

Trial Mountain Circuit_7.jpg

Jack tries to get his Roadster to resemble the Daytona Coupe once again!

We reviewed the road going MX-5 not too long ago, and the majority of us agreed it was a pretty capable little runabout. It wasn't too dominating, but in the right hands, with the right setup, at the right track, it could take on some pretty serious equipment. When you factor in it's popularity, reliability, cute unassuming looks and sheer potential, it isn't hard to see why the bigwigs at Polyphony Digital decided to make a race car rendering for it.
This is one of the cars I waited a long time for when I had GT5. I was devastated, being able to see all the glorious DLC racecars avaliable, but not being able to buy them. :( This was one of the ones I really wanted, alongside the Challenger, R32, R33, RX-7 and Prius.
Look, I knew it was a CVT and was just curious to see how that would play out, okay?!
Thankfully we don't have to worry about buying DLC cars in GT6.

The first noteworthy point of this car: It screams! One day I was driving it from the interior view, with the race display all turned off, and Dad was watching the tach. He was gobsmacked when he watched the needle hit 8k rpm, and then stay there as he heard the engine carry on for a solid second extra before needing to shift. Turns out it redlines at just around 9k rpm, which for a 1.8 4 banger is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Mid-Field Raceway_16.jpg

COTW's apparent home of fast, fun action!

The Roadster doesn't look like much. It's just an MX-5 with a spoiler, a rollcage, some flares and a carbon fiber front splitter. However, it's actually much more capable than you may think. On paper, only one thing really sticks out. It's under 800kgs. That's a feat for any car, and it means that it's very manouverable! In fact, it dominates nearly every tight and twisty section it encounters. I proved that at Bathurst. Ash and Jack were in a VW Scirrocco GT24 and Lancia Delta Rally Car, and I was behind them in a Roadster. Every time we got to the straights, they'd both pull a gap of around 8 seconds, but as soon as we got to the mountain climb and descent, I'd close the gap down to around two seconds! And it happened lap after lap, all race. It's certainly got the handling to take on bigger cars. The only problem with it is that there's only really a few tracks that are so technical it will be able to rely on agility alone. If you want to be competitive on bigger tracks like Mid-Field, Grand Valley, Laguna Seca or SSR5, I think you'd need to strap on a supercharger or some engine tuning to try beef up that power.

Now it handles alright, but that's not to say it's totally immune to accidents...

Trial Mountain Circuit_2.jpg

@Draggon is reminded just how much Trial Mountain can bite.

Trial Mountain Circuit_5.jpg

...And so is Nismo...

Trial Mountain Circuit_6.jpg

"Ash, now's not the time to practise your reverse-entries!"

Trial Mountain Circuit_3.jpg

"Do I pull over and help? Mmmm... Nah!" - @Baron Blitz Red

So it does need to be treated with some care. But it's easy to catch the minor slips, slides and gnerally small stuff that you'd get punished for in, say, a GT500.

My Roadster TC is quite probably the most painted car in my garage, and that's solely because it can pull off such a wide range of colours. In fact, it can pretty much suit any paint chip you throw on it. I've had my one painted blue, red, purple, black, green, orange and even a few variable colour chips. And it's looked great each time! It just seems to be one of those cars... very attractive!

Mid-Field Raceway_13.jpg

I want to go on more about it, but it's late and I still have to reveal the new car, so to sum up...

GOOD STUFF
-Open air thrills!
-Cute and lively
-Loads of grip
-Can live a colourful life
-Light as
-Brakes are amazing

NOT SO GOOD STUFF
-Could do with an extra helping of power
-Erm...

A definite and undisputed sleeper! 👍
Now, for the new ride..

Now, in the past few weeks, we've been treated with some pretty fun racecars. An F1, a GT1, and a fictional touring car. (With a Honda Civic thrown in there for good measure..) How bout this week we slow down? Relax, take it easy, go for a cruise...

...Hell, who am I trying to fool? We all know we race anything here, regardless of speed!

Enter @CORRUPTEDDISC!!!

Youtuber, Gran Turismo Fan, Professional beard grower... Mr. Hammer Studios Gaming's quite possibly the biggest name in Gran Turismo 6 content, and he's already working on claiming the same title for GT Sport and Forza Horizon 3. Today however, he's been kind enough to take a little time out to pick our next ride!

Cool haha. Hmm let's see...I'll pick another hero from one of my favourite brands.

Welcome along to the COTW stage...

daihatsu-mira-tr-xx-02.jpg

The 1997 Daihatsu MIRA/CUORE TR-XX Avanzato R!!!!

Returning to the world of Kei cars, the Mira (or Cuore) is notable for being the first kei car with over 70lb-ft of torque. Like all kei cars it's small, featherweight, and dirt cheap. Cheap and cheerful, or cheap and nasty? Let's find out! This week's Playing With TT's is at the Matterhorn Short Track. A small track for a small car!

Also, HSG's on the horizon to 10,000 subscribers. As of this post he's at 9,548. If you haven't already, be sure to subscribe to him and get him to that milestone! See you guys Tuesday!

Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R '97
0.7L
63 hp / 6,500 rpm
74 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
700 kg (1,543 lbs)
328 pp

96 mph on the downhill stretch.

1:43.864 - 306 - Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02
1:44.321 - 328 - Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R '97
1:44.592 - 333 - Mitsubishi Minica Dangan ZZ '89
1:44.612 - 318 - Honda S800 '66
1:44.641 - 305 - Toyota Vitz F '99

Well it's faster than the Vitz...and the Suzuki Alto Works RS-Z '97

But I'm just not a fan. If I'm buying a kei car, it has to be either a Honda Beat, Mazda AZ-1, Suzuki Cappuccino, or Daihatsu Storia X4.

Latest Posts

Back