Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I'd like to suggest the '83 lancer ic ex turbo. Tune it at 500pp and it will basically beat any car that is thrown at it. Its rather funny to beat a G-Sports FT-86 in a way cheaper sleeper looking car. ;)

Please see the OP.

Thought you might have that problem.

cotw_zpsemllu3k9.jpg

Dante called. Your level is ready.

Ah the Q7... Err I mean Pikes Peak Quattro. :sly:

Deceptive is what I would call it going by my previous history with it.

Yes it's no secret this car went on to be the Q7 which wasn't great but, I can overlook that because it did gives us the most powerful diesel engine ever put in a mainstream production car.

The engine in question is a 6 litre V12 Twin Turbo making just under 500hp and a stump pulling 730 Lbs-Ft of Torque. :eek:

Back to the Pikes Peak, as Jack mentions it's got quite a big price tag to its name which would disway most people from getting one.

It has roughly the same power as the V12 TDI thanks to its smaller 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo, but less torque.

According to the list I've saved, it has a maximum output of 828hp fully tuned and curbweight of 1410kg fully stripped out. :D

So can the Pikes Peak prove its capabilities to all levels of racers?

One way to find out. ;)

I think Audi's one and only natural predator is its own RS 6 Avant.

1:45.937 - 503 - Audi Pikes Peak Quattro '03
1:46.294 - 518 - Audi RS 6 Avant '08

Both cars are basically equal on this track. I'd imagine low-mid 1:45 lap times for both cars if driven flawlessly.

Let's compare!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RS 6 Avant '08
5.0L
571 hp
/ 6,500 rpm
480 ft-lb / 1,500 rpm
2,025 kg (4,464 lbs)

114 hp/L
7.8 lbs/hp

Pikes Peak '03
4.2L
499 hp / 6,000 rpm
465 ft-lb / 2,000 rpm
1,900 kg (4,189 lbs)

119 hp/L
8.4 lbs/hp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That RS 6 is a stump-puller. You have all 480 ft-lbs at your disposal from the second you step on the gas pedal. It feels like a diesel. The Pikes Peak is no slouch, either. It only gives up 15 ft-lbs despite being at an 800 cc disadvantage.

As for handling, Pikes Peak wins. The RS 6 has a very long wheelbase and is 275 lbs heavier. There is no oversteer dialed in its suspension. Getting around a corner takes patience.

The RS 6 Avant '02 has the same 4.2L engine as in the Pikes Peak, but has 53 fewer horses, 52 fewer ft-lbs, and weighs 20 kg less. It doesn't stand a chance.

It's weird that you can upgrade everything on the Pikes Peak except for the Computer...

Fully modified specs:

4.2L
828 hp / 6,700 rpm
650 ft-lb / 6,700 rpm
1,410 kg (3,109 lbs)
603 pp

197 hp/L
3.8 lbs/hp

I bet it's an Apple product.

The Pikes Peak is about as deceptive as a car gets in Gran Turismo. Even those with the fattest of virtual wallets would have to think twice about buying an Audi SUV that costs close to some of the LMPs in the game, one that you don't even get a premium model for your coin. Take it and run it against a field full of other Pikes Peaks and while you may notice it has plentiful power, an able transmission, and remarkably good handling for an SUV, it still seems rather unfit its price-tag.

It's only when you get out of the Pikes Peak and into a car that should seemingly run circles against that SUV, and instead find yourself surrounded by unfriendly giants that the Pikes Peak goes from average to mind-boggling.

Seriously, I haven't figured out any kind of way the Pikes Peak, a vehicle so massive and with such a high center of gravity it makes a barstool with a motor and wheels mounted on it seem like a balanced and stable chassis, is capable of such feats of performance. (Short of perhaps its engineers all selling their souls to Satan, maybe.) So while the Pikes Peak is expensive enough that I would normally never be able to call it a Sleeper, its astounding and inexplicable performance earns it that title in spite of it.

It also has to be noted that the Pikes Peak also seems to serve as an ideal launch platform to send its fellow Audis flying...

What the experience felt like from my perspective starting at 2:13....

Last edited:
This week of Car of the Week we brought out the Audi Pikes Peak Quattro '03. You would think that an SUV would be slow and hard to turn but turns out the Pikes Peak Quattro is quite agile. When we raced it at Monaco, we had couple players get caught up in the first chicane after the tunnel which blocked the ideal race line but the Pikes Peak manage to get around them with ease. It was pretty responsive to the breaks compared to the previous Car of the Week the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I'd say the Pikes Peak is one of the better SUV's in the game.

Did Peter Piper pick a peck of Pike's Peak?

Well if @Lewis_Hamilton_ calls himself Peter Piper on other sites, well then yes he did! Over a million's worth too! This week we decided to see if the rich and famous have more fun in the form of the Audi Pikes Peak Quattro... and I would say: Most Definitely!

HN96LGh.jpg

Last time we played around with a heavy beast with twin superchargers, this time we're still playing around with a heavy beast but with twin turbo's instead. As others have mentioned beforehand, this beast was surprisingly agile. This heavyweight dances around better than most vehicles with way less weight, but it's no push over either. I found that out by accident in an online room where I apparently ran over other cars, but had no idea of it due to the servers not letting me see the other cars. I never saw or felt a thing lol.

So what's the secret behind the impressive handling? Quite possibly the superior AWD system, which came in handy for the sudden snow squall we all experienced for the first time in COTW history...

C4v4GuA.jpg

I love this SUV... I had almost forgotten how much fun this was until this past week's racing. It's monstrous in several ways... size, power and the unexpected handling. Then there's the satisfying reactions to the "WTF are you racing with that for?" comments from other racers! It basically defines Sleeper in one tidy package.

Soozbs5.jpg

Impressive is the word all around... from the stand still take off speed, stock handling and power it winds up to be a performer if it has the room. In tight track scenarios, the effects are immediate when up against others of its kind. Sumo wrestling in Monaco! Buy your tickets now people!

eJDQeWI.jpg

Even with the high price tag that would demand high performance, I still give it a Sleeper badge... especially after back to back heavyweight car reviews. Going from the lackluster performance from the Aston to this is an opener considering the close weight figures. If only all the heavy cars handled like this! Great pick!!!

Cheers

Audi do that?

The Audi Pikes Peaks Quattro Concept, rolls right of the tongue.:P

Named after the Legen.. wait for it... dairy :lol: hill climb in Colarado when it took a good dirt set-up, a bad to the bone race car and a very brass pair of bronze balls to conquer it.

The name is a nod to Audi's multiple wins at the mountain with different flavours of the Sport Quattro including the bonkers near 600hp Pikes Peak special which is in the game.

In a funny sort of way the Pikes Peak Concept is like the event itself, great back then but not in today's world where it's known as the Q7 and the Hill Climb itself is now fully tarmaced.:rolleyes:

Ok, ok. :sly: To the car, the immediate mark against it is the price, a cool 1.25 million, which makes it on the surface an absolute beater.

However, when you get in and drive it, it suddenly becomes an absolute Sleeper.

Packing around 500hp stock, it gets up and goes pretty sharpish and the handling, it's like it weighs 1.3 tons not 1.9 tons, it's unnervingly good at hiding it's weight. :eek:

The weight distribution is also good for an Audi, a 52-48 balance insures understeer doesn't show its head too often.

It's an absolute hoot to drive on (and off) the road and if you stomach the price tag, it's a sleeper.

Shame about it turning into the Q7 ( V12 TDI being the exception :D ), although Audi did recently announce a possible RS version of the Q7 so it might just redeem itself. :bowdown:

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Last edited:
One of the many broken concept cars in the game. I say broken because they have some unrealisticallly good perfomance/speed for their PP.
Its urealistic that this huge, heavy SUV could beat some typical supercars... but it can.

One of the many broken concept cars in the game. I say broken because they have some unrealisticallly good perfomance/speed for their PP.
Its urealistic that this huge, heavy SUV could beat some typical supercars... but it can.

Concept cars are always a bit unrealistic. That's why the production versions are always toned down.

Both. :P

One for each ball. :lol:

You need counseling. You and Lewis.

Speaking of which, who here likes murder and rape (hint for tomorrow's reveal)?

Concept cars are always a bit unrealistic. That's why the production versions are always toned down.
The problem is not the concept cars having better handling or better speed... but having their PP wrong (less PP than they should), thats the problem of a lot of them in this game.

And I specifically talk about the Toyota FT concepts ('09 and '10), the Lamborghini Miura Prototype, the Suzuki GSX-R/4, the TommyKaira ZZII, the NSX LM Prototype Road Car, and the RX-8 Concepts.

Do the test of doing hotlaps with the Toyota FT Concept 09 with 500PP and then do the same with the Toyota FT86 Road version... then compare weight, power and laptimes of both cars.
You can also do the same with the RX-8, although in this case the differnce is not that big,

It also has to be noted that the Pikes Peak also seems to serve as an ideal launch platform to send its fellow Audis flying...

Congratulations JackRyanWMU!

You know the drill. Tell everyone what you've chosen, and make it a good one.

A month and a half into 2015 and no American car has been selected yet? Time to rectify this, and I'll do it with a car that has already made an appearance in this thread.

Out next car of the week....

Camaro17.jpg

.......It's not a Camaro is it?
It's the 2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS!

It's a well known fact that in America, more rapes and murders are commited by Camaro owners than that of any other model/make. In any event, it's too late to recall Jack's choice now.

Accountants to your cars!

Back