Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

So, tonight we tried a new handicap rule- Any Given Sunday. Winner of each race uses the next harder compound for the following races. What do you guys think about it? I thought that it level the field nicely.

I will be doing this for all races from now on anyway regardless if I win or not - the races where I used CM were tons of fun and very challenging trying to get the same cornering and corner exit speeds as the rest of the field.

Also, how about adding weight instead? Or, will that by considered tuning?

Adding weight would be considered tuning, as you are changing the weight of the car. It does count as a settings change, not to mention that you could rig things in your favour by changing the weight ratio of the car (go from a 40-60 to a 50-50)...

Adding weight would be considered tuning, as you are changing the weight of the car. It does count as a settings change, not to mention that you could rig things in your favour by changing the weight ratio of the car (go from a 40-60 to a 50-50)...

Funny thing is that power limiting isn't considered tuning despite the fact it's altering the cars performance just like adjusting the weight balance.

My idea would've been keeping the tyres the same, but taking a HP or PP deficit for each win.

But admittedly that isn't perfect, I've taken that kind of penalty before and still managed to pull out a win ( the Mini VGTs at Serria race is a good example :D).

Funny thing is that power limiting isn't considered tuning despite the fact it's altering the cars performance just like adjusting the weight balance.

My idea would've been keeping the tyres the same, but taking a HP or PP deficit for each win.

But admittedly that isn't perfect, I've taken that kind of penalty before and still managed to pull out a win ( the Mini VGTs at Serria race is a good example :D).

Well I didn't know that, interesting to know. Mcclaren's tire idea is probably the best compromise so far, because you can't tune the tires themselves, so if you're not running the right tires you will be caught. Betting on PP would be tricky, because there are many paths to take to get to a PP limit.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to join for last week, or the week before. I am currently packing up all my stuff, and getting ready to move house sometime this week, so I haven't been able to go on the PS3 much, and won't be able to for now since it's in the box, ready for transport.

Looks like plenty of new faces to fill my spot for now though, so have fun! I'll look back to joining for a bit once everything has been settled in. :)

Hommell Beginnings

France's best kept secret? Well if it wasn't for PD including the R/S it probably would've been ( Same for Venturi in GT2 ;)).

The Hommell R/S has a 2 litre NA 4 cylinder from Peugeot making 164hp and hauling 950kg of space frame, FRP, disc brakes at all 4 corners and a 6 speed transmission.

Sounds like fun right?

And it is. :D

At 395PP, it's one of the quicker cars under 400pp you can buy.

Naturally, comparisons to the Lotus Elise are to be expected so let's pick the Elise '11 as it's the nearest mid engined Lotus to the Hommell in PP.

PP
Lotus, 388
Hommell, 395

Power
Lotus, 134
Hommell, 164

Weight
Lotus, 876kg
Hommell, 950kg

Price
Lotus, 51,000
Hommell, 47,360

So in terms of best bang for your mid engined buck, the Hommell has the Elise '11 dead to rights.

If I had to make a complaint, I don't like the window slits.

I understand it's to keep the weight down but I prefer if it were a normal window with manual handles.

Aside from nitpicking, it's a good car with good performance and it's also rarely, if ever seen online so most won't know what it's capable of. :P

So to put it simply, it's a sleeper. 👍

Big thank you to this week's winner for helping out last week. Much appreciation.

Congratulations Niku Driver HC!!!

No man, thank you for even considering me as next week's choice picker. I'm honored to be of service. And glad I could help you out with this whole thing as well. :)👍

Well, the people demand their car, and I shall give it to them. Using a picture from British toy company Corgi and their Vanguard line of models, behold the sedan that the Vectra could only dream of being (although it wouldn't even be able to touch its large shoes):

6433150543_55a897d5c6_b.jpg

It's the 1990 Lotus Carlton!!!

Also, I demand that each COTW participant gets at least one picture of a Carlton sideways, it should be noted that it can do that quite well... ;)

You don't get to make demands here, that's my job! However, I will let you select the best picture, which will also be this week's winner and will have the choice of next week's car. Pics must be posted before the deadline, just PM me with who had the best pic on Friday or before.

For my Carlton, the license plate says "FRESH" and there are dice on the mirror.

It's a Vauxhall that some chav glued a stolen Lotus badge on to.

In all seriousness, I believe this used to be the fastest saloon car on the road at it's time with a top speed in the high 170's mph. I've driven it in both GT5 and 6, it's fast but it's also quite heavy. My grandfather used to own the Vauxhall variant of one of these, though obviously it's not quite the same as the Lotus made car.

Edit: Just a thought I had. An idea for a bonus race? Cops and robbers themed race with the Skyline and/or BMW pace cars, since the Carlton was a popular getaway vehicle for criminals.

Last edited:
You don't get to make demands here, that's my job! However, I will let you select the best picture, which will also be this week's winner and will have the choice of next week's car. Pics must be posted before the deadline, just PM me with who had the best pic on Friday or before.

For my Carlton, the license plate says "FRESH" and there are dice on the mirror.

Too bad, I want your job. I have been corrupted by the Dark Side, so there you go. :mischievous: May I say this as well, you should've shared the Corgi picture too, silly Brad. You had one job!

Jokes aside, thank you for the interesting idea. So I can select who has had the best picture next week? Neat-o, I can rig it in my fav.... er, I mean choose wisely and fairly.

Also, I thought your license plate read "CowBell", or "Virgin". Then again, maybe not. :sly:

From what I've tested with this car it's very wheelspin happy, even with racing slicks. Maybe with stock horsepower its more controllable.

I can believe that, the Carlton already suffers from some oversteer in slow-speed corners. Give it even more power and you'll destroy the delicate balance of the thing. It might be heavy, yes. But it packs enough of a punch to tear most sports cars in half. And it's surprisingly steady for something so heavy and powerful.

It's a Vauxhall that some chav glued a stolen Lotus badge on to.

In all seriousness, I believe this used to be the fastest saloon car on the road at it's time with a top speed in the high 170's mph. I've driven it in both GT5 and 6, it's fast but it's also quite heavy. My grandfather used to own the Vauxhall variant of one of these, though obviously it's not quite the same as the Lotus made car.

Edit: Just a thought I had. An idea for a bonus race? Cops and robbers themed race with the Skyline and/or BMW pace cars, since the Carlton was a popular getaway vehicle for criminals.

I see what you did there. Too bad (for the British police at the time) that such a thing wasn't the case for the Lotus... :lol:

And that idea of a cops and robbers would be quite interesting. It fits with the car's theme, and it could provide some fun and games. Of course, one may have to balance both cars in order to make it somewhat even. Or rig it towards the robbers, since the British police could not even remotely keep up with a Lotus Carlton with their Senators...

How would you set the regulations for that? Who would be the cops/crims?

May I say this as well, you should've shared the Corgi picture too, silly Brad. You had one job!

corgi.jpg

Done. Happy?

How would you set the regulations for that? Who would be the cops/crims?

Well, if I had to say, the crims have to be driving Carltons. Other than that, it's more or less balancing its perfomance with a similar car, perhaps one of the two pace cars, and that would be it. And the top finisher would have to change sides for the next race as well as adhering to the new tire law.

Also, what in Bob Saget's name is wrong with that Ibiza video? Did you use the Picasso filter or something?

Back