Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

But seriously though, you and Baron did well at taming the Bird and recording a victory each. :cheers:

So I didn't dream that up?!? NEAT!!! :cool:

Even though I was dead tired after my move, I really HAD to be there for this one. If there ever was an icon that was RUF around the edges, it was this one... OOOOPS I did it again! :lol: HEHEHEHE, now I know why you like the cheesy fun @Vic Reign93 !!!

Cheers

The night (or morning:P) of racing was brilliant, very smokey, but brilliant. ;)👍

I'll have a review up later on, but for now let me leave you guys with this.

View attachment 375638

Cut about 2 seconds off my old CH tyre record. :D

if you shave 2 more seconds, we'll call you the Stefan Roser of GT6 ;)

Congrats on the huge improvement ! I wish each of my fingers have brass balls to play like that...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night was great... The reason i was in the back was because i was busy taking pictures :P

Which i am still processing as i am going through to the replays...

a beater and a sleeper:
Gemasolar_2-1903x1070.jpg

I am forcing myself to categorize this UFO of a car...

It's not a beater, so it must be a sleeper...
I guess sleeper it is... to the regular beta person, this looks like any other old Porsche...

The truth is: it's not just any other Porsche... it's the underdog that set a time on the Green Hell (Heck, it's the "Hell" in Green Hell), and it instantaneously became the measuring stick... and even remained 25 years later...

Mid-Field%20Raceway_9-1903x1070.jpg

Mid-Field%20Raceway_8-1903x1070.jpg

One of my favorite shots of this car: Together with its younger sibling:
Gemasolar_31-1903x1070.jpg

Gemasolar_36-1903x1070.jpg

This car is beautiful doing its thing:
Mid-Field%20Raceway-1903x1070.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up with Porsches as my dad has owned quite a few but closes thing we get to an actual 80's Porsche is the Ruf CTR Yellow Bird. I remember driving this car in GT4 and it being quite a handful to drive because of all of its power. Now driving it in GT6 it is still a handful of a car to drive but I'm a lot better with it than I was in GT4. This car takes a lot of throttle control and steering input. If your not careful with the throttle you will find the back end stepping out when you power out of a turn or when we were all racing at SSR7, just the slightest amount steering at about 100mph or more you can find yourself in the wall or fishtailing across the road collecting others. Overall its a great car to drive if you know how to control the throttle and steering at high speeds.

The Bird Is The Word

The word 'Bird is surprisingly well etched into automotive history and media.

If you add Blue to Bird, you get the legendary land and water speed record holders from the early to mid 20th century.

If you add Black to Bird, you get the menacingly modified RUF CTR that runs the Wangan Line in not just the Animated world, but in the past the real world also.

If you add Yellow to Bird, you get a Canary. :P

Ok, ok, you also get the RUF CTR 'YellowBird'. ;)

It was the car that put RUF on the map not just as a Porsche tuner, but also as a manufacturer ( they buy the car shells from Porsche and build on them).

These days you can buy a 911 from them with a hand built Flat plane V8 making 550hp called the RGT-8.

Anyway, with this car, It. Doesn't. Tolerate. Fools. :scared:

Most of the time, you end up having to turn left to turn right in this car as this car was born to oversteer and do nothing but. :D

To master this car, you have to learn how to be in control when the car is out of control, you can't take ANY liberates with it and you have to stay one step ahead of it to drive it fast.

But when you string it all together and you bang home that lap or race, not many cars can give the same satisfaction this car can. :bowdown:

When tamed, the YellowBird hauls down the straights and can be quick through turns.

But now the tough question, Beater or Sleeper? :confused:

Well no one expected this car to dominate the speed test when it came out and it's cheaper than its Italian rival, the F40 by nearly 50%. :drool:

On the other hand, I sure as hell wouldn't recommend this to newcomers unless they like the taste of Armco and there favourite views are sky, road, sky, road, ditch. :lol:

So I'll give it a sleeper rating, but with a Asterisk, due to the skill level needed to properly drive it.

Verdict: Sleeper* ;)👍

I've said it before, and I'll say again... I love the upgrades you've made for the videos!!! Such a difference in quality @McClarenDesign , I find myself really enjoying watching them now. THANK YOU!!! 👍👍👍

Cheers

No sir, thank you! I can't tell you guys how much the views and shares have helped. I've now crossed the 100 subscriber mark, as well as over 40k views (not much, but it is impressive for such a niche channel). Keep watching, and I'll keep posting.

Speaking of which...

And there's still more to come! I'll post the rest once they're finished uploading.

How in the f did I win a race with this thing?!?

It was arranged by me as usual. You know where to send the cheuque.

Dropping in to check on the old gang was a great feeling since I have been away for some time with some domestic emergencies, and as usual it was a blast to race with such competitive yet gentlemanly racers all of whom were obviously there to hone and refine their racing skills and not necessarily barrel their way to the front for a win.

I particularly enjoyed the race at SSR7 - which proved that the Yellowbird was indeed a sleeper. Surprising things come out of this series.

Hope I am not plunged in work next Tuesday and can join in; Brad could do with another win. ;)

Hope I am not plunged in work next Tuesday and can join in; Brad could do with another win. ;)

I won't argue with that.

By the way, following two of the previous posts :

- I suggest you to try the following combo with the Yellowbird : comfort tires, no ABS, Streets of Willow.
- A lot of things have been said about Blackbird from Wangan Midnight, but here's the full story : http://oppositelock.kinja.com/wangans-infamous-blackbird-porsche-930-turbo-1520243773
And now you can realize how mad this car really is !

Congratulations GT_Alex74!!! Tell us what madness we get for this week...

Hmmmm... car of the week... let it be the ...

feb%202015%20(4).JPG

It's the 1970 Marcos Mini Marcos GT!!!

Some assembly required.

Last edited:
beater. its slow as anything:
1.55.682 -363- Honda BALLADE SPORTS CR-X 1.5i '83
1.55.937 -350- Suzuki Swift Sport '07

1.56.167 -347- Mazda Demio Sport '10
1.56.300 -375- Lotus Europa S.2 '68
1.56.607 -384- Marcos Mini Marcos GT '70
1.56.731 -350- Honda Fit RS '10

1.57.374 -352- Peugeot 307 CC '04
1.57.563 -344- Nissan March 125R '07

This is going to be nothing but fun.

Typically what I think everytime I know I'm gonna drive this one.

Though, in stock form, the PP rating hurts it, it's still an amusing car, which fits between some more powerful classic sports cars (Alfas, Lotus, Triumph, etc.) and some little hot hatches. But get it fully tuned, and this becomes a nuclear ball full of atomic fun.

Also, this pretty much fits the theme in a way since a Mini Marcos took part in the 24h of Le Mans, with an impressive recorded speed of 146 mph on the straight. Its racing pedigree is not limited to that however, the car set several british speed records, and is still getting victories nowadays in historic races lower classes.

http://miniresto.com/
A Mini Marcos makes a standard steel Mini feel like driving a bus full of fat people.

Also, the Mini Marcos, as it is retaining the Mini mechanical fundations, can sport the same kind of engine swaps popular in classic Minis, such as Honda D16 or B16, bike engines, or pretty much anything you can think of if you're not affraid and ready to do some GRP bodywork.

beater. its slow as anything:
1.55.682 -363- Honda BALLADE SPORTS CR-X 1.5i '83
1.55.937 -350- Suzuki Swift Sport '07

1.56.167 -347- Mazda Demio Sport '10
1.56.300 -375- Lotus Europa S.2 '68
1.56.607 -384- Marcos Mini Marcos GT '70
1.56.731 -350- Honda Fit RS '10

1.57.374 -352- Peugeot 307 CC '04
1.57.563 -344- Nissan March 125R '07

I would've given you a "like" on your post IF I knew where these times were posted... for all I know these could be times for your morning coffee run! :lol: ;)

Cheers

Back