Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

SVX
GT needs a Forester.

And an SVX, of course. >.> <.<

SVX was in GT1 and 2. I agree it should have never left the series.

svx_s4.jpg

svx_s4.jpg

Same with the Forester if I recall correctly. Such a rad car that needs a come back. Subarus next more premiums to begin with! Where's the premium GC8? :/

svx_s4.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly; if GT likes to pride itself on including the most unique JDM metal, leaving the SVX out is pure heresy. That car was one of the most unique cars that Subaru ever made, even if it was a sales failure from some standpoints. Same goes for the Forester, especially the STI version. It's ugly? Yes, but it's just like this Impreza Wagon when it comes to sheer perfomance, and that is simply amazing for a SUV. Of course, we could spend two or three months discussing about cars from GT2 that we fans would love to see back in the series...

"cough" Bring back the Renault Espace F1 thanks "cough"

Last edited:
Fully modified specs:

551 hp / 6,800 rpm
483 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
1,171 kg
560 pp

Damm, more than 500 hp... That sounds mouth-watering, but I bet that if one doesn't tune the car properly, the understeer might go from "Minor annoyance" to "Good grief, my tires (and proper racing line)!". On the other side, you could make it into a fearsome drifiting wagon...

How much better is the CotW than the car it replaced?

Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon WRX STi Version VI '99
283 hp / 6,800 rpm
263 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,310 kg (2,888 lbs)
452 pp

The older car has 13 fewer horses, 32 fewer ft-lbs of torque, weighs 120 kg (265 lbs) less, and has 1 performance point less than the CotW. So how much slower is it at Mid-Field, if at all?

Turns out the difference is less than 0.200 seconds.

Last edited:
Damm, more than 500 hp... That sounds mouth-watering, but I bet that if one doesn't tune the car properly, the understeer might go from "Minor annoyance" to "Good grief, my tires (and proper racing line)!". On the other side, you could make it into a fearsome drifiting wagon...

It's definitely powerful, but only 2 road cars from Subaru make over 600 HP and they are, the aforementioned 22B STI and the S206 NBR Challenge Package at 609 and 634 HP respectively. :P

I don't get this game, they never made a Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon WRX STi Version VI '99 (bug eye) an STi, there is only a WRX version. I know this as I own one.

While you may have a point, there is a bit of a mistake with the car's name; it is not a bug eye, as the real bug eyed Impreza only appeared after 2000. As for the rest, perhaps the STI name was added to tell people that it's the sports version, or simply an oversight by PD.

Quick Edit: I did a quick research, and turns out that the WRX STI editions do exist; they just weren't sold outside of Europe. The STI versions had more modifications as well as the ones carried over from the WRX, but were mostly sold in Japan.

That is probably why there is basically "no such thing" as it was never really sold.
And your right about the bug eye bit too. Mine is a 2002 model of it.
It's annoying how most of these cars have no interior too as the interior of these cars from classic to hawk eye have very similar interiors. I'd rather a slightly incorrect interior than none at all.

That is probably why there is basically "no such thing" as it was never really sold.
And your right about the bug eye bit too. Mine is a 2002 model of it.
It's annoying how most of these cars have no interior too as the interior of these cars from classic to hawk eye have very similar interiors. I'd rather a slightly incorrect interior than none at all.

Well, the '99 version was sold in real-life, just not outside of Japan. As I said, most WRX STI versions were JDM-exclusive, so the only way a driver could get one was by importing an example from Japan.

And I agree, most of these Imprezas should have a premium interior. The classic could very well inherit the premium interior from the infamous GT5 Prologue (IIRC) version, and the rest could easily get a full Premium interior, as they are common cars in Japan. It shouldn't be too hard for PD to get their hands on a close-to-stock example and work from there, surely.

exactly. and I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble of finding and importing an STi model to europe to be fair. it would never cover your costs and looks no different apart from one badge :)

exactly. and I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble of finding and importing an STi model to europe to be fair. it would never cover your costs and looks no different apart from one badge :)

Perfomance figures, Gremlin, the badge is not there just for show. Some Japanese cars only show their true from in Japan, while other countries offer "lesser" versions, which lack some features of the JDM versions. Allow me to explain;

• The Bug-Eye Impreza came in 2000. In its launch in Europe, it had 215 hp. In America, it had 227 hp. In Japan? It had 250 hp. Then you have zillion special STI editions (Spec.C Type RA-R, S203, etc.), which have several performance tweaks, may they be influencing horspower, weight, or both. For example, the RA-R is lighter, more stiffer and far quicker than a standard WRX. Looks aren't the only thing one should pay attention too, especially with a sports car such as the Impreza.
  • Sure, the importing costs may be a bit high, but at least you would have the advantage of living in England, where the driving rules match those in Japan, meaning that very little work would have to be done to make the car legal around those parts. Think of other countries that drive on the right side of the road, like mine. Then you can claim that the importing costs would be too strong. ;)

Last edited:
I can now why European versions of these cars are worse... because we are all part of this silly thing called the EU which limit things on our cars like speed, sound, co2 and so on.
Thats why sadly.
I'll just live in Japan and learn to drift ;)

Well, there's that and the fact that Japan sees their versions being so good that it's not really worth it to send them outside of Japan and offer them to non-Japanese drivers. There are plenty of great cars that Japan has in its history, but never made it outside of the Japanese Domestic Market. It's a pity, but what can you do... As a true car nut, one must go to Japan at least once to see all that in the metal.

I still can't get over the fact that a freakin' Subaru wagon is faster than some 6 and 8-cylinder sports cars. It blows my mind.

I. Want. One.

And yes there is no reason that all Japanese cars in GT shouldn't have premium interiors.

My reasoning as to why it's quicker is pretty simple.

The Gentleman's Agreement which capped HP to 276 forced manufacturers to refine their cars in other areas to compinsate for the power limit.

Yes some cars were advertised at 276HP, but made more than that, ( Toyota Supra, R34 Skyline etc :D)but the refinements in brakes, suspension, tyres, and so on made them just as quick, if not quicker than cars with much more power. 👍

If you ever need a good example, Best Motoring International has many vids on YouTube, but you may want to brush up on your
Japanese if a video doesn't have English subtitles. :P:lol:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/japan-dumps-276-hp-pact-car-news

"Since 1989, Japanese automakers have all endorsed—at least on paper—a kind of gentlemen's agreement that limited their advertised horsepower to 276 on domestically produced vehicles. Their primary goal was to avoid a horsepower war in a country where the maximum speed limit is 62 mph. But in October 2004, Honda officially broke the agreement at its Legend (Acura RL in the U.S.) press conference when it unveiled the model's 300-hp, 3.5-liter V-6."

Oh yeah! I have driven this car a lot in GT5 and GT6. If tuned properly, it has a lot of track potential. I often drive it on Comfort Softs and 500pp.

This car does not do the best in its stock form in my opinion. Also,when modified, it gets a lot of power and weighs very little.

What is the verdict? SLEEPER! :)

RE: Importation

Depending on location, Importing isn't all that much. It's more the hassle of certification. In NZ, it was possible to get the car on the road, including shipping, for 3.5k max.

I still can't get over the fact that a freakin' Subaru wagon is faster than some 6 and 8-cylinder sports cars. It blows my mind.

I. Want. One.

And yes there is no reason that all Japanese cars in GT shouldn't have premium interiors.

Part of the reason I wish the BH5 GT-B wagon came back. I reckon that thing could give some European wagons a run for their money.

I thought this was a pretty neat guide: http://pacificcoastjdm.com/review/subaru/imprezagc8/stats

It's only for GC/GF though, not GD/GG.

Here's a bunch of Subaru's ready to be picked up in Canada (No Impreza wagons :(): http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/default.asp?Make=Subaru&MakeID=41

If only I was Canadian, eh? I'd able to get myself a sweet set of Imprezas...

And well, the best place to find an Impreza Wagon is where it was produced:

0203592A30150224W00103.jpg

Yes, it's a RHD, Japanese Market Impreza Wagon, but it's got everything you need; it's a STI, and it's blue with golden wheels. I'd say it's pretty close to "our" Impreza...

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUBARU/IMPREZA_SPORTS_WAGON/700020359230150224001/index.html

(And you can get it for 5,000 bucks. Now ain't that nice? Not bad for an not-ruined-by-ricers Impreza Wagon, I reckon.)

Back