Beauty Contest: Gran Turismo Sport vs Forza Motorsport 7

Um, yeah. I think GT actually wins for personalization on this one. Their livery editor is far superior, and the driver/pit crew personalization is something surprising indeed. I really don't care for the distasteful bodykits and custom spoilers offered in Forza; these are track racers, not street racers.

And pray do tell where the idea of bodykits arose from, Racing! Please think before you type.

So sorry but you are wrong, I have tried the livery creator on GT:Sport, It really is nothing special, Other games do and have done it much, much better.

It's always nice to see devs get a laugh out of things. Either way that car comes stock like that :lol: either way, one car, made as a joke car in the first place, is not representative of the whole picture, nor does it come even close.
Just saying, there's just some things that are best left in the hands of games like NFS or Forza Horizon.

Just saying, there's just some things that are best left in the hands of games like NFS or Forza Horizon.
Only thing changed on that car is rim size really, I don't even think normal cars can get close to making them that big. That car had to be made specifically by the devs, and it's meant as a joke at that.

Last edited:
what should this prove? when do you play cars have lod?
It brings light to the comparison being made by digital foundry. The MX5 is looking great, but there is obvious variances that happen from car to car, much like Forza.

Through this generation I've learned that I think lighting is by far the most important aspect of a games graphics (thanks to games like MGS 5, Uncharted 4, AC Unity, Metro Last Light, Driveclub, Project CARS, the Order 1886, Killzone Shadow Fall) and the best way to get closer to photorealism.

So GT Sport definitely suits my tastes to say the least. There's just something much more natural and believable about GT's use of global illumination than Forza's (something DF might've also said in the video?).

oh oh. looks like some one is getting ready to start a livery contest battle.:gtpflag:please don't do it I do want to see forza get hurt.

You seem to be under an entirely different impression than what my comment suggests. There is no "battle" nor is either game going to be "hurt".

I'm quickly being reminded why I took a step back from actively participating in thread discussions.

I'm sorry, but no. Absolutely not. There is nothing — not a single thing — GT Sport's livery editor does better than Forza's. Scaling decals combines both axes into one (width and height) which is incredibly jarring. The "other" section, while promising, just winds up bleeding whatever decal you're using onto an area of the car it shouldn't, otherwise what's the point?

A lack of placement grid makes lining things more of a chore than it should be, and it just lacks intuition. This coming from someone that looks at the livery editor knowing he can't drawn worth a damn unless it's a basic line or circle. :lol:

It has gobs of potential, like most things in GT now, but is ultimately letdown by design decisions that are out and out counter-intuitive.
On GTsport you can use the mouse :D

I've came to a conclusion that they're both great games. Each have their own problems, but they're still enjoyable. & I prefere GT, but that's just my opinion. Some others prefare Forza, & I totally respect that.
That's a fine opinion to have, I share the sentiment too actually, to an extent. However, you insinuated a lack of quality, which isn't really the case.

That's a fine opinion to have, I share the sentiment too actually, to an extent. However, you insinuated a lack of quality, which isn't really the case.
I wasn't aiming it towards Forza. I was aiming it in general. You could create a racing game with every car in the world, with all the features that Forza & GT have combined with very bad physics which would make the game unplayable. Also, with a boring career mode. Yeah it might have all the cars, Livery editor & loads of tracks, but would it still be fun with wonky physics & a boring career mode? That is what I mean by Quality over quantity. You could have a game with stunning graphics, just over a hundred cars, few tracks & great physics/gameplay with a good career/campaign mode. That would sell me more, than a broken boring game with all the cars in the world, for another example.

Oh & I know that would never happen, that was just an example to make myself clear.

Their livery editor is far superior

Yeah, no.

The livery editor lacks any ability to group layers. It also is missing coordinates, meaning it's impossible to put text on an angle consistently (or indeed, resize letters). You can only move one item at a time, so if there's a patch of shapes you need to shuffle over, you'll have to do it one by one, and hope that you can keep the original spacing.

Base paint jobs can only be standard paint, metallic, or pearl. If you want matte, chrome, or colour-shift you're at the mercy of the Mileage Exchange (so you can't make your own custom swatches for any of those).

I recreated this in-game earlier today:

upload_2017-10-22_19-24-7.png

Well, just the text. It took a while, but in Forza, I can save the layer group, and it'll always be ready to go, for any car, in the future. I can recolour it in a matter of seconds.

In GT, I had to recreate it two more times on the one livery I was working on. It can't be copied from one side of the car to the other (because it ends up backwards), and it can't be put on the hood or roof if it was first made on the side of the car.

Now, depending on how the import feature works when it goes live, this could be solved, at least partially. But then that's not really showing the power of the livery editor: it's just transferring the workload to players with a copy of Illustrator or some similar software. If it's possible, I'll be exclusively working with SVGs for future liveries, because the simple one I did today, which would've taken an hour tops in FM7, took four times that in GT.

GT's livery editor is a solid first effort. But it's a distant third place to the ones found in NFS and Forza.

I heard that GTS's livery editor didn't let you group layers together.... that's already a big miss since you have to move layer by layer a design over if you need it. Ofc, a simple patch would solve that. So right now, it isn't superior. But it might very well be soon.

Yep, no layer grouping. Not only that, but the cursor and camera are reset repeatedly. I get the feeling that whoever designed it planned on players using nothing but the pre-existing stickers, because it's a nightmare in terms of design consistency.

For example, I made this today:

20171022191555.jpg

It took four hours, because I needed to do the Mazda logo by hand three times.

But what's worse is having to recolour anything. There are ~150 layers there, and about half of them need to be recoloured. Having to scroll through the entire list, then make about nine button presses to swap the colour, means this took 40 minutes to do:

20171022191605.jpg

My take away, PD are gods at what they do and can achieve.

Quote from digital foundry:

"Best looking and most realistic racing game I've ever seen"

Based on the sheer ammount of detail this review and breakdown has, I say it warrants a sticky(imo)

Scaling decals combines both axes into one (width and height) which is incredibly jarring.
While I agree it is jarring, it's possible to adjust the size of each decal (have only tried it with the shapes though), independently on each axes, by pressing down on the left shoulder button. It's not very intuitive but it works.

In GT, I had to recreate it two more times on the one livery I was working on. It can't be copied from one side of the car to the other (because it ends up backwards), and it can't be put on the hood or roof if it was first made on the side of the car.
View attachment 682825
I was thinking about this same thing earlier. Not sure whether it would work but it might be worth trying out. It's an awkward and time consuming solution but what about duplicating all the layers of the logo on the same side, but duplicating them horizontally? Then duplicating to mirror the original side onto the other side (original logo and reversed logo layers). Then it would be a case of going on each side and deleting the backwards layers you don't want. That and moving the layers along and spacing them again and re-rotating, if need be.

I know it sounds like a proper ball ache :lol: but at least the layers for the logo would be the correct size and facing the correct direction. This method would only work for the sides of the car though, so you'd have to (like you've pointed out) start from scratch if wanted the logo anywhere else on the car. Great! Mazda logo, btw. 👍

Last edited:
The GT Sport beauty is more than skin deep...

Ability to save more than 10 replays
Ability to display previous and best lap times for more than 10 seconds at the end of each lap
Leaderboards
A proper camera
Triple screen planned
PSVR delivered (even if limited)

While I agree it is jarring, it's possible to adjust the size of each decal (have only tried it with the shapes though), independently on each axes, by pressing down on the left shoulder button. It's not very intuitive but it works.

I didn't notice that at all. That makes it a little better. 👍

The GT Sport beauty is more than skin deep...

Ability to save more than 10 replays
Ability to display previous and best lap times for more than 10 seconds at the end of each lap
Leaderboards
A proper camera
Triple screen planned
PSVR delivered (even if limited)
That's hardly more than skin deep :lol: you're very vocal about triple screen support, so I find it funny that you aren't here.

GTS gfx on standard PS4 on normal LCD TV is pretty amazing. By far the best looking game IMHO.

Having said that I do not think there is anything pro about PS4P. Next year when slim version will get released I am interested to buy it but apart from higher resolution or super sampled for 1080 guys there is no use :banghead: So they need to have some serious update if they want people to buy PS4P.

PS: I am not saying gfx is everything and they should work on GT mode, tracks and cars. But 25% faster cpu, ram and 2x gpu in pro is being wasted. So I hope they are working on some update and improve gfx even more, at least implement real time TOD and weather. Granted 90% of users are probably on standard PS4 they have done amazing job.

Well tou never saw it on Pro and a propper HDR screen? Because it is nicer! I agree that asside for HDR its not huge but in combination with HDR its for me bin worth it! Same goes for Horizon Battlefield 1 !

About this comperrison,

Both games look awsome, i think that GT is more polished more detail nice colour and lighning. Hate the wheels that still get flat when they turning......

Yeah lets not get into terrible online, GT:Sport in that respect is turning into one of the worst games of modern times, It it nigh unplayable thanks to it 👍
the only place I've had bad races is in the online lobbies every race I've had in sport mode has been with respectful people (probably trying to boost their SR rating) only had one incident and it was a genuine mistake (guy clipped the grass spun and took me with him)

Other than that I've had some pretty solid racing not too many high finishes due to me maybe racing a little more on the cautious side and trying out different cars with TC & ABS off/on trying to find a good balance in FFB too but it's been fun

the only place I've had bad races is in the online lobbies every race I've had in sport mode has been with respectful people (probably trying to boost their SR rating) only had one incident and it was a genuine mistake (guy clipped the grass spun and took me with him)

Other than that I've had some pretty solid racing not too many high finishes due to me maybe racing a little more on the cautious side and trying out different cars with TC & ABS off/on trying to find a good balance in FFB too but it's been fun

Which is the polar opposite of my experience with the online aspect of GT:Sport, (When it even works)

Me too. I have never played racing games online except for a few times (way less than 10 times total) but GT Sport has drawn me in. I am really enjoying the online and that's a big surprise to me, I have found the racing to be really good and respectful, except for two or three where some people are exploiting a cheat in auto drive that causes a bit of chaos at the race start. I'm sure PD will sort that out pretty quickly.

Or like, you could grow a sense of humour. Try it. It's really kind of fun. It's the sort of thing that Gran Turismo used to be quite good at. Schwimmwagen?

Latest Posts

Back