Beginners Guide: Useful Tips & Advice to help first timers.

• Thread starter BkS
  • 118 comments

BkS

Scotland
Livingston, Sco
BkS-y0
APX BkS
So your new to drifting huh? And whatever you try, you keep spinning in the corners? Well this guide is for you newbie!

Questions:

"I keep spinning in the corners, and I can't seem to "master" how to drift. Can anyone help me?"

Advice: Try "feathering" the throttle, you don't have to be on it all the time. Watch some in-car videos of real drivers, you'll notice they aren't always on the throttle. Make sure your assists like Traction Control, Stability Control & Steering assist are all turned off, and that you ARE NOT using Automatic gearing. Manual shifting is very important when drifting!

You should only use manual gearing for drifting as it plays an important role of drifting. Automatic gearboxes were designed to help the drive keep control of the car and maximize grip. When using manual shifting, you'll be able to control the amount of power being sent from the crankshaft to the differential, helping you understand if you need more power in one's situation. Think about it this way: Your coming up to a turn with a long bend, and your in 3rd. You know 3rd gear will easily make the turn flat out on the power, but your rev gauge will bounce off the redline zone. By shifting into 4th gear, you allow the car to generate more power and torque to keep the wheels spinning, gain the advantage of having more angle going round the bend, but also able to stay inside the "torque range" without bouncing off the rev limit. This in turn will require less input from the drivers foot, meaning you will only have to feather it, instead of keeping your foot down.

Whenever you drift, you'll realise that you won't shift gear much, rather you'll stay in one gear for a period of time and then shift if you require that extra "oomph."

Try finding a technique that suits you! Here's a list of some techniques you can try. I have sorted them from easiest to hardest.

Over-power at exit of corner - As the title suggests you simply turn in, and apply a little more power at the exit of the turn. Once the car has broke traction, maintain your drift by countersteering in the opposite direction and apply some more throttle in short burst.

Handbrake initiation. - This technique involves the driver to use the handbrake or "E-brake" to lock up the rear tires to break traction. However, using this technique it's important your timing is correct and your able maintain the drift, as the car will tend to want to spin-out. Using the E-brake to lock-up your rear tires should be done in short-bursts. This way you don't upset the cars momentum, and cause it to go rearing into the tire wall. By using the handbrake in short-burst it locks-up the rear tires "gently" making it easier to break traction AND maintain the drift. You may also want to use the handbrake to extend or correct a drift.

Feint or "Scandinavian Flick" - To do this technique, you quickly turn in the opposite direction of the turn, and then turn back towards it. This forces the car to transfer it's weight from side to side, allowing the back wheels to break traction. Once you've broken traction maintain your drift by feathering the throttle, and countersteering in the opposite direction.

You may also want to try tuning your car. It's best to start of with something light, perky and low budget. You don't need much HP to start drifting, usually 300HP is about correct for low-horsepower drifting. The advantage of having a low-horsepower car is that you can get to understand how the car works. You'll be able to find out how tuning camber will effect tire contact with the track, and how your prefer your LSD. Tuning your car to your preference is key, and will give you a better understanding of the car. When tuning your car, you should keep in mind the following:

• It's much better to use "Comfort:Hard" tires.
  • Drifting is about balance & control.
  • Tune your car in stages; Work out what does what.
  • Think about your power to weight ratio.

Drifting on different elevations.

When drifting on different tracks, you'll notice your car will handle slightly different to how it would handle on another track. This is called "elevation difference", meaning there are certain points, where the track will:

• Rise in height.
  • Lower in height
  • Have a banking somewhere
  • Have a dip, or perhaps even a bump somewhere.

To get by the issue(s) of not spinning out on these conditions, there's somethings you should perhaps take note of. Tuning for these elevation differences will help eliminate these handling deformities. For instance:

Say I was in a Toyota Supra RZ, weighting around 1200kg with 600ish HP and I was drifting on a custom track with lots of bankings, steep hills both up and downhill and maybe even the odd bump on the track I would have to tune the Supra so that the tires stay in contact with the ground and that I don't go spinning into a fence or into a wall. But I would also have to make sure I tuned it right so that it's not to stiff that I can't transition properly. The key to these types of elevation differences is by tuning the suspension. If it was I, I would tune the "bound" & "rebound" settings first, as these control what the shocks do. I would want a medium-soft shock so that it can absorb the differences from changing in longitude. So if your on a 45* banking, say bending right, the left hand side of the car will compress a lot more than the right handside, because:

A) The car is transferring it's weight to the left because you are going in that direction.

and

B) With the weight transferring to the left hand side, it gives those tires more grip thus helping you maintain some traction and not spin out.

Running this kind of setting for your bound & rebound would also help you transition a lot more easily as you can shift the weight far more easily because the shocks are absorbing the kinks that the tires come up against.

In accordance with tuning the shocks, I'd then move onto tuning the springs. Now depending on the weight of the car, this is where transitioning and weight transfer play a key role. If you have a heavy big saloon type car, i.e. BMW E92 M3, you'll want some nice stiff springs as this would balance what the shocks would be doing, and visa-versa for a small light car, i.e. Toyota Corolla Trueno (AE86). Your anti-roll bars would also play a part of how you want your car to drift on different elevations, all it would do, would be countering weight transfer to help keep it at a minimum. However sometimes you will want to have soft ARB's, sometimes you will want "not-to-stiff, but stiff-enough" ARB's. These also help with inertia when initiating.

This is all trial and error, and "SHOULD" be experimented with until you feel comfortable with your set-up and how the car manages the handling deformities. Try imagine how your suspension is at work when drifting, I find that this helps me tune a lot better when I visualize the spring/shock etc doing what it's meant to do.

[*]If you need help with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask below. Practice as much as you can, the more you practice the more experience you'll gain, and also learn a thing or two.

- BkS.

Last edited:
Dumped your DS3 for a wheel? Just new to the wheel? Look below.

When learning to drift with the wheel, it becomes a whole different ball game. Everything changes. With the wheel, you have far more control over the car, your actions will be much more precise, and drifting becomes easier after "mastering" how to drift with it.

To begin drifting with your wheel, it may be best to turn down your force feedback or "FFB" as it's more commonly known. Usually starting at 5 and turning it up as you get confident is the best option to use. You may also want to change the "Steering Type" from "Arcade" to "Simulation" in the Hardware Settings menu via your Options. This will help get a most "realistic" feel for the car.

Once you've done this, you should remember that you won't be on "full lock" all the time, perhaps 3/4 of it. You should only use full lock when your more advanced or gaining more angle to help keep the car going in the right direction. However, being on full-lock does have it's disadvantages. Your front tires will warm up pretty quickly, you may even slow down if your settings for toe/camber aren't too good. The key to drifting with the wheel is to be light with your fingers and always be prepared to correct / extend your drift. Using the wheel becomes more of a workout unlike the controller, you'll be more alert too. Take your time, learn the basics of where your main lock points are, and how far you can push the car until it's on the edge of spinning. It won't be easy getting to grips with the wheel, but you will get there! Just remember these things:

• You'll more than likely only use 3/4 of the lock your wheel has.
  • Be light on your fingers, let the wheel rotate itself. Just guide it!
  • It might be useful to look into making a home-made e-brake. For a tutorial on how to do so, see here.

When tuning for your wheel remember controller tunes won't work that great with the wheel, usually all that is needing done is some tweaking with camber/toe and springs. Maybe even the LSD.

Cars you should experiment with to start off drifting.

BMW

Z3 Coupe
Z4 E85
Z4 E86 M-Coupe
M3 E46
M3 E92 Coupe
E87 120i
E88 123 Coupe

Honda

S2000

Mazda

MX-5 (Eunos Roadster)
RX7 (FD)
RX7 Savana (FC)
RX7 Spirit-R (FD)
RX8

Mercedes-Benz

190E

Mitisubishi

Lancer EX 1800 GSR IC Turbo

Nissan

180sx
Silvia S13
Silvia S14 (200sx) (240sx)
Silvia S15
Sileighty *Pronounced Sil-80*
Fairlady Z32 (300ZX)
Fairlady Z33 (350Z)
Fairlady Z34 (370Z)

Toyota

Corolla Levin GT-Apex (AE86)
Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86)
Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex Shuichi Shigeno Version (AE86)

For all questions, drifting, check out the FAQ thread.

Last edited:
Good idea mate ;)
Hopefully this will get stickiedxand they'll be less threads about it, maybe suggest dome cars for new drifters aswell?

Thank god someone made one of these!

The amount of 'New To Drifting' threads was getting ridiculous.

But I'd imagine quite a lot still won't acknowledge it's existence and create a new thread regardless...

cheers nk!

knight spirit - I'll get round to that, just writting up the section for learners on the wheel! :)

Wheel advice/tips has been added, as has a list of cars for new drifters. Feel free to add to anything if you think somethings missing. 👍

I kinda get the idea, but I'm still rather new at this. A quick question regarding wheel spin. Is it that, at a higher gear you can generate more wheel spin, this allowing you to drift for longer distances and link turns? Then if you want to drift a tight corner you want a lower gear so you don't slide as far? Or is it the other way around?

I kinda get the idea, but I'm still rather new at this. A quick question regarding wheel spin. Is it that, at a higher gear you can generate more wheel spin, this allowing you to drift for longer distances and link turns? Then if you want to drift a tight corner you want a lower gear so you don't slide as far? Or is it the other way around?

Keeping drifts= Keeping your RPMs at a constant level, you can still be in 2/3 as long your grip level is at a minimum.
For tight corners, I would follow good lines then worry about my gearing because I would gain it back faster.

Great work so far!
Anytime ill come back here with a list of easy drifting cars, or at least easy with any gimped setup.

rage7206

Keeping drifts= Keeping your RPMs at a constant level, you can still be in 2/3 as long your grip level is at a minimum.
For tight corners, I would follow good lines then worry about my gearing because I would gain it back faster.

That's kind of the idea yes. The more wheel spin you have, the quicker your tires will wear and heat up but also lose traction as well letting you drift easier. For longer turns it's always ideal to be in a higher gear that way you won't have to shift in the middle of a drift, because you would run the risk of the clutch letting the rear wheels grip up and throwing you off of your line and perhaps even into the nearest wall. Tighter section would require a lower gear, or some assistance from the handbrake. Just comes down to the drivers style.

I gave the said techniques a try yesterday, and it seemed to allow me to drift through corners that I had previously not been able to. I seem to like staying in 4th, but it seemed that I would initiate the drift in 3rd then immediately shift up. If I'm taking your words correctly this is not ideal behavior?

Very good thread loving it you should try to give examination on certain corners to drift, drifting up hills, down hills and so on but really good thread

rage7206
I gave the said techniques a try yesterday, and it seemed to allow me to drift through corners that I had previously not been able to. I seem to like staying in 4th, but it seemed that I would initiate the drift in 3rd then immediately shift up. If I'm taking your words correctly this is not ideal behavior?

Sometimes you'll find that using a lower gear, will help you initiate through the turn, and then shifting up is where you feel comfortable at. This is really more "you" developing your technique to which you find it easiest to drift, with that said, I tend to do this alot. Shifting "mid" drift is where you run the risk at a high rate, you don't run it so much when using it to initiate. Sorry if it's confusing. Just stick to what your doing and it will come to you.

Very good thread loving it you should try to give examination on certain corners to drift, drifting up hills, down hills and so on but really good thread

Don't worry, I will update with these kind of things, next on my list is some video's to help everyone get a better understanding. I just need to get somethings sorted out first. 👍 Thanks for the positive feedback though!

Totaly indeed. Including the advise to tune their cars expecting these kind of situations, because most people tune their cars only running on Tsukuba.
Also i would like to check as more info and tips as possible about tandeming. Because i see so many people trying to drift close to the others but they have no clue of what they are doing.

- Careless touches.
- Not saving position.
- Gripping to reach.
- Gripping to undertake.
- Losing the calm when chased.
- Don´t giving a darn for respect for the right lines.
- Staying still waiting in misplaced spots.

Also i would like to see tips of how have a better notion of space when using the 1st person camera (hood or cockpit).

Totaly indeed. Including the advise to tune their cars expecting these kind of situations, because most people tune their cars only running on Tsukuba.
Also i would like to check as more info and tips as possible about tandeming. Because i see so many people trying to drift close to the others but they have no clue of what they are doing.

- Careless touches.
- Not saving position.
- Gripping to reach.
- Gripping to undertake.
- Losing the calm when chased.
- Don´t giving a darn for respect for the right lines.
- Staying still waiting in misplaced spots.

Also i would like to see tips of how have a better notion of space when using the 1st person camera (hood or cockpit).

Right on point bro im not the best drifter in the world not aiming to improve but some people do need to learn these things and not just learn formula D they mainly need to learn D1GP because GT5 sponsors D1 but everyone on the game uses Formula D just saying we need to be a little diverse

Liquid, I like the idea's your bringing to the table. I will definitely do a write-up either tomorrow night, or later on. Be sure to check the thread often! Video's will be due in about 3/4 weeks. I've nearly sorted everything out, just waiting on a few things :sly:.

I've added a write-up to the main OP, which is about how to tune & drift on different elevations i.e.Uphill, Downhill, on bankings and the like. 👍

Will add to the OP later on:

• How to tandem
  • Which tracks are good to begin drifting on
  • Advanced drifting techniques.

Due in a few weeks:
  • Videos on all subjects covered so far.

Last edited:
BkS
I've added a write-up to the main OP, which is about how to tune & drift on different elevations i.e.Uphill, Downhill, on bankings and the like. 👍

Will add to the OP later on:

• How to tandem
  • Which tracks are good to begin drifting on
  • Advanced drifting techniques.

Due in a few weeks:
  • Videos on all subjects covered so far.

Hopefully this thread can make better drifters online because i recommended that people starting the game to get on here and look at this thread

Yeah, the whole point of this thread is to have, better, highly skilled drifters. I'm just trying to give something back to the community 👍

Good thread, keep up the good work 👍 I got the hang of using a wheel last night, with an M5 at Autumn Ring Mini on CS:lol: Baby steps are better than no steps :)

Good thread, keep up the good work 👍 I got the hang of using a wheel last night, with an M5 at Autumn Ring Mini on CS:lol: Baby steps are better than no steps :)

Glad the thread helped you dude! Baby steps are indeed better than no steps, now lets get you drifting on CH instead ;D. Oh btw nice car choice *totally not being biased here. :P But BMW's are my trademark :sly: *

Hey, BKS... me again.

I was reading your article about drifting in diferent elevations, and man... you´re buying a fight with a big dog in there. All the info makes a lot of sense, but its barely impossible to talk about this subject and remember all aspects of the issue.

The first advice i would give to the starters is learn the track, learn how to deal with each corner and "what trick you should cast". Secondly i would speak about settings, but more than "what to setup", i would try to explain "what every part works for the better result". For exemple, there is the settings related to camber, toe and LSD, witch in my opinion are as important as the springs / heigh / dampers / anti-roll settings.

But i understand your point. First the drifter must believe in his setup, and only then work hard in the techniques.

Hey, BKS... me again.

I was reading your article about drifting in diferent elevations, and man... you´re buying a fight with a big dog in there. All the info makes a lot of sense, but its barely impossible to talk about this subject and remember all aspects of the issue.

We are human beings, yes there is a lot of information there but I don't expect everyone to remember it. What I would expect is too take bits of that information, that way you'll be able to jog your memory a little.

The first advice i would give to the starters is learn the track, learn how to deal with each corner and "what trick you should cast". Secondly i would speak about settings, but more than "what to setup", i would try to explain "what every part works for the better result". For exemple, there is the settings related to camber, toe and LSD, witch in my opinion are as important as the springs / heigh / dampers / anti-roll settings.

Your right in a sense, yes, but my aim is for everyone to learn for themselves. Nobody taught us how to walk, we were assisted, but we taught ourselves how to put on foot in-front of the other. It's exactly what I'm doing here, I'm giving the assistance needed but I wouldn't be able how to teach someone how to drift, they have to feel it for themselves. It's all preference.

Giving someone settings is ok in a sense, but there is a load of settings in the database which is sticked at the top of this sub-forum. I don't see why they can't mix & match from there, rather than me giving them a bunch of numbers. Part of my plan was to make a video for each topic I've covered so far;

• Learning & Techniques.
  • Elevation Difference.
  • Drifting with the wheel.
  • Which cars to start off with.

In which I would cover a more indepth look, for instance what camber does or what a turbo does. However, if people must know their is a whole load of stuff here on GTP, and on google. It's not very hard to find. It would convenient to the user, yes, but there is somethings which I can forget to cover. I'm only human after-all.

First the drifter must believe in his setup, and only then work hard in the techniques.

This is textbook stuff, we've all been there and it's proven over and over again why set-up to a drivers personal style is important. I'm offering free help and advice after-all.

I'd just like to thank all the guys contributing useful advice here, In the last couple of weeks i've gone from useless at drifting with a G27 to earning 20,000 points on Autumn Ring last night in my newly aquired S13 :)

To begin with i couldn't drift for toffee with CH tyres but now its slowly coming together 👍

To those who think its impossible, Stick at it, it will make sense in the end 👍

Back