Beginners Guide: Useful Tips & Advice to help first timers.

• Thread starter BkS
  • 118 comments
The Nissan skyline gtr pace car is also pretty good for me it doesn't seem like it wants to spin out but keeps a very good angle

Toe or Camber..?

Both camber and toe. Before what you adjust them to though.

Camber should be around 2-3.5, Toe around 0.2 - 0.5 for the front, rear is usually ok at 0.2.

i found this thread very usefull,thanks bks,i juat got the g27 and im really bad with it,spinning over and over again:D,but i will continue practising,hoping it will workout for me:)

i found this thread very usefull,thanks bks,i juat got the g27 and im really bad with it,spinning over and over again:D,but i will continue practising,hoping it will workout for me:)

Glad I could help out, keep practicing!

How do u keep it sideways? Everytime I start a good drift I go to countersteer and it just whips the car around the other way

Sounds like you're not using enough gas to keep the car sideways. It's just a confidence thing, give it more beans and keep the rear tyres slipping - it flicks the other way when the tyres suddenly grip and the car follows whichever way the fronts are pointing.

Sounds like you're not using enough gas to keep the car sideways. It's just a confidence thing, give it more beans and keep the rear tyres slipping - it flicks the other way when the tyres suddenly grip and the car follows whichever way the fronts are pointing.

This. You need to give it more beans on the gas, don't be scared to spin-out and hit a wall or two... I still do it. :sly:

Haha, not yet Defu! They will come extremely soon though with commentary, gameplay & on-board footage. Sorry for lack of updates, been busy with RL and all that lovely boring stuff.

BkS
Haha, not yet Defu! They will come extremely soon though with commentary, gameplay & on-board footage. Sorry for lack of updates, been busy with RL and all that lovely boring stuff.

I decided to read your guide again and took me some good time and guess what :D now i make some pretty nasty drift, angle and speed ! jihhaaaaaaaa ! thank you so much BKS !

But are you gonna make a tandem guide to ? :P

Thanks to this I have tuned three successful 08 fairlady Z tunes on my own :) this guide is very helpful and id like to thank you. I just practice with friends all the time hoping to improve and I get 20k easy on tsukaba, havnt really done many practice games. I find it funny though that I can not drift using standard. I can only drift using sport hard and automatic transmission. And occasionally I'm able to drift on racing soft.weird huh

Reviving the old bird again. I'm going to start making the videos I said I was going to make months ago. Expect to see some videos very soon!

Great guide Bks, very good info!

I noticed a few people asked about good tracks to learn on. A few people answered, but not in much detail. I know everyone has there own opinion on good starter tracks, but it's a question that seems to get asked quite often. I thought it might be a good idea to list all the common learner tracks and sections.

I thought maybe you could start by listing a few specific corners that are good for complete newbies (T-1 at Deep Forest, the S-curve at HSR, etc), followed by a list of tracks that are good for learning on (Tsukuba, Suzuka East forwards and reverse, A-Ring Mini reverse, etc), as well as a list of tracks beginners should maybe avoid, as they will cause more headache than it's worth while starting out (I'd list the Deep Forest, Trial Mountain...any track with lots of elevation change and banking). You could also list a few sections that are good for learning on (for someone who has the hang of holding a drift, and is looking to work on transitioning...sections like Madrid, the start of Nurb GP, etc).

Keep up the good work. I hope this can get stickied, as it seems like once a week, there's someone making a new thread along the lines of "I'm new to drift, can you help me", and a lot of the same info gets repeated.

I am currently working on track lists, etc. But the OP is so large I don't want to make it any longer atm. So I'm going to be working on videos, and a new OP layout so that information is easier to read. So be sure to keep an eye on the thread. :)

I'm stuck in the car for a few hours, and am bored, so I'm gonna write down a list of tracks that I think are good for learning on.

•Complete Newbie. So you are completely new to drifting? These are some good spots to start out on.

-Top Gear Test Track: this is a great spot to mess around, practice getting the car sideways. Lots of wide open pavement, and it flat. Don't even worry about following the actual course, smash right through those cones if you want.

-Turn 1, Deep Forest Raceway: this is a great corner to learn how to hold a drift through a complete corner. Start out nice and slow, and just drift the corner both directions over and over again. The rest of the track is actually quite tricky due to the elevation changes and banking, and is more trouble than it's worth for beginners.

-The S Curve, High Speed Ring: this is a great set of corners to learn and practice holding a drift while changing directions. Track is wide, and flat. Again, just drift the S Curve, and forget about the rest of the track.

•Beginner. These are some tracks that are good to start out on. Start out by drifting each corner individually. When you feel comfortable with that, start trying to link multiple corners together.

-Tsukuba: the most commonly used drift track in the game. It is a great track to learn on, as it is pretty flat, doesn't have much banking, and has a smooth road surface. It has a nice verity of corners to learn. It also offers opportunities to learn some more advanced techniques as you become more confident. Linking the last corner to the first is as good a place as any to learn high speed transitions and long e-brake, 90', and even reverse entries.

-Autumn Ring Mini Reverse: a pretty low speed track that has lots of good transitions. For starting out, you can practice both directions of the flat, double s-curve section. Then start working your way into the big uphill s-curve. This is a great track to learn how to do complete laps while maintaining a consistant drift. There are a few sections that will require you to learn how to start thinking a few corners ahead, and plan your line accordingly. Personally, I would recommend learning on the reverse config before attempting the forward. I find the banking to be much more forgiving on the reverse.

-Suzuka East Course: a classic drift spot, used by drifters of all skill levels. The consecutive s-curves are great for learning how to maintain a drift, and how to transition smoothly. Remember, you can do the course in either direction. It is actually very common in online lobbies for people to drift only the s-curves, turning around at each end.

-Cirquito de Madrid Full Course: although the entire course is great for drifting, I would suggest beginners avoid the very tight hairpin at the top of the course. The very twisty bit is great to practice quick transitions. It's also a good place to start "street drifting" (ie dfrifting in areas that have walls on both sides as opposed to run-off areas). The carousel at the bottom of the track is also great to practice holding a drift through a long turn.

-Tokyo Bay Cart Track: a lot of new drifters forget about this track, but it is a brilliant place to learn. I would suggest creating your own. Make one that is 3 or 4 sectors, with the complexity of each in the 5-8 range, and make the track as wide as possible. Start with something nice and simple, and add corners as you get better.

-Nurburgring GP, Sector 1: another great place to learn on. The paved runoff areas are nearly endless. If you load the longer GP/F version of the track, the Dunlop Curve (the big 180' right hander) is another great corner to practice on. The rest of the track is only so-so for drifting, and should probably be avoided by beginners.

-Spa (DLC): if you bought this DLC (which you should, it's Spa for crying out load!!), Spa is another great place to learn on. Wide, smooth surface with lots of paved run-off area.

-Fuji Speedway: it's good for pretty much the same reasons as Spa.

-Indianopolis Motor Speedway: the road course, obviously. Again, it's wide, smooth, has no elevation change or banking (in the infield at least), and offers a good variety of corners.

-Eifel Custom Track (not the cart version): the Eifel custom tracks are a great place to start learning how to maintain a drift through elevation changes. Like Tokyo Bay, make the track as wide as possible, start simple, and add corners as you progress.

Intermediate...well, once you reach this level, you should feel pretty confident to start tackling any track in GT5. This is more a list of tracks commonly used in drift lobbies that you'll want to familiarize yourself with. With the GT original tracks, it is common to see people using both directions.

-Autumn Ring Full
-Grand Valley Speedway
-Trial Mountain
-Deep Forest
-Eiger Norwand Short Course (reverse is not too common)
-Special Stage Route 5
-Tokyo R246

The following courses are great drift tracks, but are quite advanced:

-Nurburgring Nordschlief
-Circuite de la Sarthe
-Cote d'Azur

This list is far from official or anything, just my suggestions.

Nice suggestions Twitcher. 👍 I'll probably tweak a few things before I add it to the OP though, later on. :)

I am a total noob in drifting and I still can't get the hang of it haha. Whenever I try to drift my car doesn't drift sharp enough. Maybe I'm going too fast or something idk. And I just bought an S2000 the turbo one by AEM if I've no mistaken and whenever I step on the gas it just spins like mad haha :) I'm using a DS3 tho. It'll great if someone can help me!

You need to learn to feather the throttle in order to control that wheelspin.

If you're just starting, I would suggest using something a little less powerful that the AEM S2000. If that's the car you really want to use, put the mid-range turbo on it, and restrict the power to 400-500 hp.

Also, if by "my car doesn't drift sharp enough" you mean that it is understearing, you may need to work on getting more angle. To do that, you need to be applying more throttle mid drift.

twitcher
You need to learn to feather the throttle in order to control that wheelspin.

If you're just starting, I would suggest using something a little less powerful that the AEM S2000. If that's the car you really want to use, put the mid-range turbo on it, and restrict the power to 400-500 hp.

Also, if by "my car doesn't drift sharp enough" you mean that it is understearing, you may need to work on getting more angle. To do that, you need to be applying more throttle mid drift.

Ahhh ok ok I get it. I've changed my car to a 370Z which is way way easier to control and I managed to drift a little around corners. Just got the hang of it by a little. I'm still having problems which is when I'm in a mid drift my car slows and when I feather the throttle it starts to oversteer and spin. Maybe I'm feathering the throttle too much idk since I'm using a DS3. Thank you so much for the info anyway :D

The 370 is a much better choice to learn in IMO. If you like it, try the 350 as well. They're very similar, but slightly different at the same time. For either of them, try to get the power in the 400-500 range (for starting, the lower the better...that will help you control the wheelspin), and without getting into tuning individual gears, set the "top speed" indicator in the tranny setting to around 150mph.

Sounds like your issue is still with feathering the throttle. Slowing too much means that you're letting off the throttle too much, and then it sounds like you're mashing the throttle to try to gain speed, which is causing you to spin out. It takes a while to get a feel for it (I use a DS3 as well). You don't want to back off the throttle so much that you understear, but you don't want to be on it too much that you overstear.

twitcher
The 370 is a much better choice to learn in IMO. If you like it, try the 350 as well. They're very similar, but slightly different at the same time. For either of them, try to get the power in the 400-500 range (for starting, the lower the better...that will help you control the wheelspin), and without getting into tuning individual gears, set the "top speed" indicator in the tranny setting to around 150mph.

Sounds like your issue is still with feathering the throttle. Slowing too much means that you're letting off the throttle too much, and then it sounds like you're mashing the throttle to try to gain speed, which is causing you to spin out. It takes a while to get a feel for it (I use a DS3 as well). You don't want to back off the throttle so much that you understear, but you don't want to be on it too much that you overstear.

Yeah I do agree that the 370 is much better to use. I'll definitely try the 350 if I can. Yeah currently my 370 is around that range of horsepower so I think it's fine for now.

Yes indeed it's still that problem. Also I don't really get the speed to enter each corner as sometimes I go in too fast or sometimes too slow but I think it all comes to experience and practice.

Thank you for your assistance anyway. It has taught me a lot. I often practice on Tsukuba track tho. Thanks again.

Back