Besides the eSports, What's the Point?

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
What made previous Gran Turismos great, was the whole sandbox collection building aspect, couple with realistic physics FOR THE TIME. Gran Turismo was in its prime long before they introduced online play in GT5 prologue.

Fast forward to 2017. Besides the Sport Mode aspect, which gets boring after a while due to the same races being run for days on end, what we have left? 160 cars, most of them duplicates of each other or fantasy cars. Tracks? Only six real world tracks, three mediocre ovals and three mediocre dirt tracks. Realistic physics? The consoles now have top notch Sims such as Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 which far surpass Gran Turismo imo. The physics just feel dated and not a whole lot improved since Gran Turismo 5.

So what does this game really have going for it? The Sport Mode, which has its own set of problems, can't carry the game all by itself. And with no true GT7 in the works supposedly, I think Kaz and Polyphony have killed Gran Turismo. 1997-2017 RIP

There is none, GT is being led by a man with a very tight simple closed minded vision that is leaving out in the cold most of the fanbase.

I'd kill for a proper GT with some awesome tuning option, custom Turbo Ars Boost levels by gear even fuel tuning and a wind tunnel. And of course widebody body kits for people into that. I'm sure given the tools the fan base would create unbelievably great kits.

Sexy graphics and sexy photos (scapes).

But honestly, that's like saying what's the point of iRacing... or Project Cars and Forza.

Like, I don't like it and I'm honestly not going to be playing it unless I get it as a gift (both my birthday and Christmas are coming up) or it drops to $20, but it seems like a silly question.

My point is, the game does nothing very well, everything is mediocre compared to every other sim or semi sim title.

Whats the point of Overwatch? Beside eSports?

I mean, lets be completely honest, the gameplay loop of a fully online FPS is much much better suited towards 'addicting' gameplay then a basically fully online racing sim.

And also, Overwatch has the benefit of basically being designed by people very much used to online gameplay, and know the ropes, and not like GT Sport which was basically a redheaded stepchild of a mostly single player franchise that only went the eSports route because of some asinine and poor readings of market trends within the genre. And because of a figurehead's arrogance which is directly a cause of said poor market readings.

god these comparisons make my head spin

Everything that PD have shoved out since GT4 has been flawed in various different aspects, GT5 was a broken unfinished mess, GT6 was yet another unfinished mess with "features" that either got to the party when the game was dead or never got finished a la VGT which I believe there are still empty slots on GT6 for, Kaz and PD have lost their way I'm sad to say because I have been with the series ever since GT3 A-spec.

Games like overwatch/rocket league work for eSports because by their very nature they are designed from the ground up for it, Gran Turismo is not, The very soul of Gran Turismo is an encyclopedia of cars a title that you can spend hours and lose yourself in, Its car pokemon or at-least that's what GT was but now it isn't.

Everything that PD have shoved out since GT4 has been flawed in various different aspects, GT5 was a broken unfinished mess, GT6 was yet another unfinished mess with "features" that either got to the party when the game was dead or never got finished a la VGT which I believe there are still empty slots on GT6 for, Kaz and PD have lost their way I'm sad to say because I have been with the series ever since GT3 A-spec.

Games like overwatch/rocket league work for eSports because by their very nature they are designed from the ground up for it, Gran Turismo is not, The very soul of Gran Turismo is an encyclopedia of cars a title that you can spend hours and lose yourself in, Its car pokemon or at-least that's what GT was but now it isn't.

This is the crux of the issue, and one I wished people understood when it came to comparing other eSports focused games to GT Sport. Though I would probably argue that the developers of Rocket League probably weren't expecting it to be a massive eSports game.

GT Sport, on the other hand, reeks of a project that has probably had at least one or two complete redesigns in the time that it's spent in development, again due to a figurehead that grossly underestimated market trends in the sim racing market place, and decided to chase after the big bucks with the (frankly, useless until proven otherwise) support of the FIA who has little to no actual experience in the eSports sector. And because Polyphony has absolutely no experience in what makes an eSports title a title that is actually popular and people want to watch (More often then not, it's a mixture of luck) let alone making an online game in the scope of an eSports title, here we are. Can't wait for those FIA sanctioned tourneys that quite obviously due to Polyphony running on a modified Valve Time, will probably be coming out in 2019 when this game is for all intensive purposes dead and can join Lawbreakers in being a 'big' online focused title that was bomba in 2017. Hopefully Kaz won't throw **** fits at the press like CliffyB does.

I mean, lets be completely honest, the gameplay loop of a fully online FPS is much much better suited towards 'addicting' gameplay then a basically fully online racing sim.

And also, Overwatch has the benefit of basically being designed by people very much used to online gameplay, and know the ropes, and not like GT Sport which was basically a redheaded stepchild of a mostly single player franchise that only went the eSports route because of some asinine and poor readings of market trends within the genre. And because of a figurehead's arrogance which is directly a cause of said poor market readings.

god these comparisons make my head spin

I'd have to disagree, I played allot of overwatch over the last year and a half, and it was a great experience, and I agree, very addictive game. But I'm seeing exactly the same thing from GT S. Its mega fun, addictive, feels great, easy to pick up and play for 30 minutes and put it down again.

You need to keep in mind - and a lot of people seem to be missing this point. eSports is in consideration for the Olympics, since the organisers have already stated that they're not going to pick a "violent game" to represent eSports, the most likely candidate right now is a competitive racer. PD, SMS and T10 have all got their hands up to be chosen as the title of choice, Ian Bell has already spoken about this on a few occasions. With the current state of the 3 platforms, GT S would be the most likely candidate, a game sanctioned by the FIA, with a clear focus on the "racing" experience, not to mention a viewing experience that isn't matched by any of the competitors right now.

If you look back, PD actually have quite a bit of experience in the online gaming space, and definitely know what they're doing in regards to the netcode. Sure, maybe not as much as Blizard, or Steam, but initial development of the GT netcode started in GT4, then GT5, Academy, etc. Sure those releases are not on the current scale of GT Sport's online mode, but the fact remains that they have a lot of experience on that front. If you play sport, their experience definitely shows, I've seen minimal lag spikes while playing both Sport mode and in Lobbies. With the exception of a few bugs (even overwatch had bugs after release) the only issues I've had are server maintenance related.

To me, Sport seems to be a natural progression of the academy which from what I remember was Kaz's original goal for the series. This isn't GT7...

So far the online racing doesn't seem to be much of a hit, granted there are people doing "sport mode" but i just put the game in to get my daily work out after not touching the game for 3 days and there's literally only 10 online rooms to join. I'm willing to bet there's more people playing GT6 :lol:.

So far the online racing doesn't seem to be much of a hit, granted there are people doing "sport mode" but i just put the game in to get my daily work out after not touching the game for 3 days and there's literally only 10 online rooms to join. I'm willing to bet there's more people playing GT6 :lol:.
Have u tried the sport section ? Thats where everyone is at i think. The lobby's more for racing friends or organized (league) racing.

More are probably playing Sport mode. It's also important to note, while it might not add much, you'll only see open lobbies that are in your general area. I only get North and South American lobbies for example.

If you remember scrolling through the open lobby in GT6, the majority of rooms were street car only. There aren't enough street cars in Sport to bring us over.

@downhill, You know that there is an option to show all ;)

Now I have to say that game is a bit dissapointing with the whole options of races. Bring out a game and only start with some tournaments 3 weeks later, and for those only once a week a race. Please, it is a game that tries to be as close to real life as possible, but this is overkill.
Sure for the diehard Esport guys out there it will be a nice addition to Iracing, but I think to PD needs to get their act together fast, otherwise they will see significant drops in server activity provided by themselves.

Scapes if fanstaci if you’re a wannabe photographer. If not, nice for a few shots, and then that’s it.

So people who love cars dont test them on tracks just for fun , even alone on time trials? Or against AI? Then you tune it some and test again. Then you test all track times of day from morning to evening just to see all sun and fog visuals. Thats takes lot and lot of time.
Thats how i mostly played all gt games from part 1.
Never played sport mode yet. I just need more road cars and tracks later. But still i didint even tryed all tracks.

The feel of a car interacting with the road surface is obsolete.
Gamer muscle has nailed it with the best GT Sport review I've seen to date with describing the tire model.
"It feels like your tires are bars of soap."
Gamestop offering $25 trade cred, cheaper to keep it if you're like me and have gone back to Cars.

Tbh PD shouldn't discard the single player experience in favor of eSports, let them co-exist to make players happy.

Isn't there already an epic whining and crying thread?

Not everyone is bored by online racing. Apparently most of you can run your fastest laps the moment you hit the track, right? No practice needed, so lets cycle the races every 15 minutes so you don't get 'bored'. Maybe the problem is your attention span.

I like that the races stay up for a few days. I'm not a little kid, living on welfare, or independently wealthy, so I don't have infinite time to play every day while mom and dad (or whomever it is) take care of my responsibilities for me.

These threads are great. They blow up for a couple days, new people come and complain about the same old things and the OP gets what they want-an opinion validated. Then they fade away. The OP could have used the epic whining thread, but then there is very little validation, so here we are.

Reading stuff here, you must be making it up. Always have plenty of Lobbies, plenty of a clean racing, it's VERY addictive. Making new online GT connections with various groups and people. Sit there for hours making a livery, go online, instantly find a nice room with clean racers, have a blast for another few hours, way past my "usual" bed time, tired in work the next day, only to repeat it.

If you're not very good at competitive racing against people, and can't take the odd crasher, then I get it, old GT AI were slow as hell.

My point is, the game does nothing very well, everything is mediocre compared to every other sim or semi sim title.
Thats your opinion so not a point ;)

Love the game its a racing game i dont get why people expect more then racing...... to point of a racing game is to race. I get what you mean compared to old titles but the only thing thats not there is more cars en tracks. Callung the rest medicore is saying that old titales where also medicore and then i ask myself why buy this game if thats to problem all those titles.

Car count and tracks i agree but have faith that there will be more in time.

Back