Besides the eSports, What's the Point?

Hi everyone, I don't want to open the thread for this questions, so I hope this is good place to ask since it seems there is lots of sincere answers floating around. :)
I am looking for good reasons to buy GT Sports.

I played GT2,GT3,GT4,GT5 and for long time GT was the only driving simulation I ever played. The best experience was when I finally bought Logitech GT wheel for GT5.

Recently I bought Logitech G29, I subscribed to iRacing, and I also bought Project Cars 2. I was surprised that with the wheel, I kinda got the similar driving experience as I had with GT5, I am kinda having similar amount of fun.

I was thinking to buy GT Sports, but now I have doubts. Is there anything GT Sports can offer compared to PC2 and iRacing combo? Are GT tracks, specific cars, GT music, and driving school enough to justify it? Is there something else?
What worries me even more is the reviews that mention that GT physics are really bad, like soap. I used to think GT have real physics, and the whole idea of "real driving simulator" was really exciting cause I would imagine that to some extent GT skills can be applied in real life.

Now that bubble is burst. Though, I am not even sure can I stay in that bubble while playing PC2 and even iRacing. Yes, there is lots of people saying on the internet that this games are using real driving model, and that even real race drivers use this games to train (it sounds a bit funny, no?), but I am starting to think that this is just gamers trying to convince themselves it is real, and the others are doing it for marketing? My friend that drives city car tried playing iRacing, and he said that things he needs to do in the game and real life are completely different. He was kinda surprised how fast he loses control during low speed even while using weaker cars.
If you have a PS4 (and PS Plus for online Sport Mode), it probably is worth to pick the game up, if not full price then on sale. The whole point of this thread is that this is not the GT game we should have got considering it's a "console seller" and it's been four years in development and selling for full price.

If you don't have a PS4 and you want to buy one SOLELY for GT then DO NOT DO IT.

Racing sims will never be 100% accurate. In real life you can feel the sense of speed and feel the car as it was part of your body and be in tune with the car. Even with the most expensive consumer rigs with a direct drive wheel there will always be disconnect.

And there will always be physics inaccuracies depending on the game. For example, in GT Sport, the FWD have unrealistically bad understeer. And the car react funny once you push them to the edge, it's hard to feel their true limit even with a wheel with ffb and impossible to "save" them.

In Assetto Corsa, the Pagani Huyara drives horribly even at lower speeds and wants to spin out at every opportunity. I can't fathom how they could make a car like that in real life and put it down to physics inaccuracies of the game.

At the end of the day, racing/driving sims are just games and will never replace the real thing. A lot of Sim racing is down to muscle memory rather than feel. But they are the closest most of us will ever get to driving these exotic cars.

Last edited:
So the thing is that I already ordered PS4 Pro + GT Sports bundle, and it is actually sitting on my table right now! I kinda changed my mind during weekend, and started doubting my decision and thinking should I return back the package. I can still return it, but I am not allowed to open it. It is really tempting haha. I could try GT Sports, and see do I still love it like I did before, compare it with PC2 and iRacing with my own hands. Though, it might be smarter to return it, and order it next year when FIA competition starts...

So the thing is that I already ordered PS4 Pro + GT Sports bundle, and it is actually sitting on my table right now! I kinda changed my mind during weekend, and started doubting my decision and thinking should I return back the package. I can still return it, but I am not allowed to open it. It is really tempting haha. I could try GT Sports, and see do I still love it like I did before, compare it with PC2 and iRacing with my own hands. Though, it might be smarter to return it, and order it next year when FIA competition starts...
Up to you. I did buy an Xbox One mainly for Forza, but I feel like there was a lot more money's worth there then in GT Sport. But I understand it's tempting :D

Why do you think you want to return it?

If you are going to get it down the road for the official competition or whatever reason then why return it? You can try it now and if you love it play it. If not then shelve it. But also keep in mind that before you compete you might need a minimum license and some cars so you will have to spend some time to achieve that level.

I think it is impossible to predict if you will like it or not. I thought it was going to be rubbish but it's the only sim or game I've been interested in playing since I started playing it. I just can't enjoy PC2 now. Others have the opposite experience.

I find the people who hate GTS the most are people who want it to be GT7, a prettier version of an older GT. Are you one of those people? Do have time after PC2 or iRacing to spend grinding away in GT7?

The racing in GTS is great, you can go look at almost any review from gamer to hardcore sim racer alike and they all praise the online racing.

The physics like any other title are not perfect and people will argue over how good they are. GamerMuscle isn't exactly a great source IMO. His lap times are slow, he can't drive well, he doesn't drive in real life and his only experience going fast in real life is being a passenger. Do you really think he knows what he is talking about?

While I don't think the physics are perfect, I really enjoy the driving experience. I also don't think the physics are perfect in any other Sim and I prefer driving GTS. I spent years iRacing, I have AC and PC and PC2 that I was playing regularly before I got GTS. I enjoy GTS more than all of those. Others disagree.

If you play a lot the campaign will give you a few days of play. After that you are left with Lobbies, Arcade, Custom Liveries, Taking Photos and Casual Online Racing in Sports mode which in my opinion is the best part of the game. If the idea of being able to jump on anytime you want and have an enjoyable race and have it be as serious or casual as you want is appealing to you, then stop looking at it and start playing.

Otherwise I think all you need to do is work out if you would rebuy it anyway and if so you may as well just enjoy it now, if you're not sure, then perhaps you should return it.

If there are other games you are interested in playing on PlayStation besides GT, then I'd just go ahead and open it. But if not, think on this. You sound like you have a decent PC. For the price of that PS4 pro bundle you can get pretty much every new and newish PC Sim. And Steam is having a sale now as well.

If there are other games you are interested in playing on PlayStation besides GT, then I'd just go ahead and open it. But you sound like you have a decent PC. For the price of that PS4 pro bundle you can get pretty much every new and newish PC Sim. And Steam is having a sale now.

Yeah, Dirt Rally is 12 bucks. It's hard for me to pass that up even though I have Dirt 4.

DO IT!! You know you wanna. ;) Seriously though, if you are spending large amounts of time in Iracing and Pcars 2 are you even gonna have time for another racer?

WRC 7 is $20 and it's not even 2 months old. And unlike the previous WRC games, it has a lot going for it.

Yeah I was looking at that too, but the consensus as I understand it is that Rally is the leader in that area still. I have Dirt 4 and really like it but 12 bucks, wth.

Yeah I was looking at that too, but the consensus as I understand it is that Rally is the leader in that area still. I have Dirt 4 and really like it but 12 bucks, wth.
The environments alone are worth it. Each rally is breathtaking to look it in WRC 7, even if the physics are not quite as advanced.

Guess what, I didn't resist. :D The presentation level is amazing, way above Project Cars 2. Not sure about the physics yet because I had ABS turned on, and traction control set to 3. I think in PC2 I have everything turned off, and it is much harder, but also more fun to drive.

What I like is that it seems this GT is merge of online and some kinda campaign. To enter specific races I need to buy specific cars by collecting points through various races. I hope they will expand this aspect more, I am much more motivated to play the game compared to PC2 where my only motivation is to improve driving skills cause the single player campaign is a bit stale. My guess is that people don't like GT Sports campaign because it needs more content?

Driving online against real opponents was really fun, much more fun than racing against AI in previous games. My first race was Blue Moon Bay, I had 2nd lap time, and I finished 3rd. This morning I tried second race, I finished 11th in Kyoto. Altogether, the goals of GT Sports are currently more interesting to me than the ones presented in PC2 and iRacing.

Question, I noticed I can sign up for FIA competition that starts in November. It seems it is possible to choose between few times of the day, but for me it shows up choices between 4, 5, and 6 AM? It is possible this is because I have US account even though I actually live in Europe. Should I create new EU account for GT Sports?

Guess what, I didn't resist. :D The presentation level is amazing, way above Project Cars 2. Not sure about the physics yet because I had ABS turned on, and traction control set to 3. I think in PC2 I have everything turned off, and it is much harder, but also more fun to drive.

What I like is that it seems this GT is merge of online and some kinda campaign. To enter specific races I need to buy specific cars by collecting points through various races. I hope they will expand this aspect more, I am much more motivated to play the game compared to PC2 where my only motivation is to improve driving skills cause the single player campaign is a bit stale. My guess is that people don't like GT Sports campaign because it needs more content?

Driving online against real opponents was really fun, much more fun than racing against AI in previous games. My first race was Blue Moon Bay, I had 2nd lap time, and I finished 3rd. This morning I tried second race, I finished 11th in Kyoto. Altogether, the goals of GT Sports are currently more interesting to me than the ones presented in PC2 and iRacing.

Question, I noticed I can sign up for FIA competition that starts in November. It seems it is possible to choose between few times of the day, but for me it shows up choices between 4, 5, and 6 AM? It is possible this is because I have US account even though I actually live in Europe. Should I create new EU account for GT Sports?

I think one of the main criticisms of GTS is the removal of the classic career mode. Many people liked to progress through the game by buying lots of cars and then upgrading them in various ways. The progression is a bit different in GTS and it has a more direct approach to racing.

As for your last question: yes, I believe you do have to make an EU account.

The game is fun, especially the Sport Mode. But this game could've been so much more. And it should've been. That's the real issue here. GT could have finally reclaimed the throne.
After 4 years in development, I was expecting something like (AT LAUNCH mind you):

-At least 400 premium non duplicate cars from historic to modern day racers including a few open wheelers like in GT5
-At least 25 (not including rally and fictional oval) tracks with at least 15 of them being real world
-Robust single player with special and seasonal events
-Traditional tuning and upgrades as well as the new livery and paint editor
-Sport Mode included

As for the the EU PSN account, I dunno. If all your games and data are on the US account, I'd just tough it up for two days a month and wake up early.

Last edited:
Should I create new EU account for GT Sports?

I would be very very careful and do some research first. Sony is particular when it comes to multiple accounts and such and they are almost impossible to get good support from. They once almost deleted my entire psn id because I didn't have access to the email account I created it with.

Back