Besides the eSports, What's the Point?

Still remember?
12191562_898618213553211_6378583101463098472_n.jpg

I think this was already posted by a GTP member somewhere... I hope it's aligned with Kaz's promise to add more DLCs and offline events in the future.

The point is, the game just begin to interest kids.

Nowadays, kids want to compete, want e-sports thing.

Gran Turismo was an adult game, now became a kid game.

Look at who wants e-sport in gran turismo, they are all kids, nerds and kids that has no life, no social success, sits all day in their home and wants to prove themselves on the internet, every-single-time.

Because when you're adult, when you have wife and kids, when you have work-life, you wont have to prove yourselve on online, or spent thousand hours for it.
LOL......first price for most ridiculous comment.....i'm 57 have a very serious job, a wife and social success, whatever that is, and yet i love to go online and 'prove' myself for no other reason then that i can.

Hi everyone, I don't want to open the thread for this questions, so I hope this is good place to ask since it seems there is lots of sincere answers floating around. :)
I am looking for good reasons to buy GT Sports.

I played GT2,GT3,GT4,GT5 and for long time GT was the only driving simulation I ever played. The best experience was when I finally bought Logitech GT wheel for GT5.

Recently I bought Logitech G29, I subscribed to iRacing, and I also bought Project Cars 2. I was surprised that with the wheel, I kinda got the similar driving experience as I had with GT5, I am kinda having similar amount of fun.

I was thinking to buy GT Sports, but now I have doubts. Is there anything GT Sports can offer compared to PC2 and iRacing combo? Are GT tracks, specific cars, GT music, and driving school enough to justify it? Is there something else?
What worries me even more is the reviews that mention that GT physics are really bad, like soap. I used to think GT have real physics, and the whole idea of "real driving simulator" was really exciting cause I would imagine that to some extent GT skills can be applied in real life.

Now that bubble is burst. Though, I am not even sure can I stay in that bubble while playing PC2 and even iRacing. Yes, there is lots of people saying on the internet that this games are using real driving model, and that even real race drivers use this games to train (it sounds a bit funny, no?), but I am starting to think that this is just gamers trying to convince themselves it is real, and the others are doing it for marketing? My friend that drives city car tried playing iRacing, and he said that things he needs to do in the game and real life are completely different. He was kinda surprised how fast he loses control during low speed even while using weaker cars.

Hi everyone, I don't want to open the thread for this questions, so I hope this is good place to ask since it seems there is lots of sincere answers floating around. :)

I played GT2,GT3,GT4,GT5 and for long time GT was the only driving simulation I ever played. The best experience was when I finally bought Logitech GT wheel for GT5.

Recently I bought Logitech G29, I subscribed to iRacing, and I also bought Project Cars 2. I was surprised that with the wheel, I kinda got the similar driving experience as I had with GT5, I am kinda having similar amount of fun.

I was thinking to buy GT Sports, but now I have doubts. Is there anything GT Sports can offer compared to PC2 and iRacing combo? Are GT tracks, specific cars, GT music, and driving school enough to justify it? Is there something else?
What worries me even more is the reviews that mention that GT physics are really bad, like soap. I used to think GT have real physics, and the whole idea of "real driving simulator" was really exciting cause I would imagine that to some extent GT skills can be applied in real life.

Now that bubble is burst. Though, I am not even sure can I stay in that bubble while playing PC2 and even iRacing. Yes, there is lots of people saying on the internet that this games are using real driving model, and that even real race drivers use this games to train (it sounds a bit funny, no?), but I am starting to think that this is just gamers trying to convince themselves it is real, and the others are doing it for marketing? My friend that drives city car tried playing iRacing, and he said that things he needs to do in the game and real life are completely different. He was kinda surprised how fast he loses control during low speed even while using weaker cars.

If you like Iracing and you like Pcars 2 and your main interest is racing online against other racers then I would say yes, GT Sport would compliment your gaming library and you would enjoy it. Graphics and general polish are much better in GT Sport than both of them imo. It is not as realistic as IRacing, doesn't have as many tracks and racing conditions or cars as Pcars 2.

I your interest is not primarily online racing, you are not willing to put up with online for almost every part of the game, or you are interested in a robust single player campaign then no GT Sport will add nothing that you don't already have.

LOL......first price for most ridiculous comment.....i'm 57 have a very serious job, a wife and social success, whatever that is, and yet i love to go online and 'prove' myself for no other reason then that i can.

Haha, well I haven't been "proving myself" as much as I would like. My highest finish is P2 but I get your point. :)

Last edited:

If I were you,having Pcars 2 and iRacing the only reason to get GTS would be
a.Want some casual fun or
b.Want something similar -in terms of online rating system and nothing more- but dont want to spend so much money.
People that claim that GTS has pure sim physics (and that real racing drivers are using it to ...practice) are either
a.Fans
b.Work for PD public relations
c.Dont know what they are talking about.
So imo if you want a game that is really fun to play,without being too "serious" GTS is a good one.If you want a more "sim" experience then keep playing only iRacing and Pcars 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assetto Corsa is quality over quantity. GT6, Forza 7 is quanitity over quality. Projects Cars 2 is a mix of the two.
GT Sport is neither.
Not true. I have all the games you mentioned. I had the most fun and exitement with the online races in GTS the last few evenings, because I don't have friends to play with in the other games. Fun equals quality for me. So it's GTS all the way.
AC with the matchmaking of GTS would be great.

Not true. I have all the games you mentioned. I had the most fun and exitement with the online races in GTS the last few evenings, because I don't have friends to play with in the other games. Fun equals quality for me. So it's GTS all the way.
Give the game a few more weeks, you will be tired of it. Because this game has little depth besides the "Wow finally, a GT on PS4 with decent multiplayer, beautiful graphics and photo mode to boot!" and that will wear off in time.

Give the game a few more weeks, you will be tired of it. Because this game has little depth besides the "Wow finally, a GT on PS4 with decent multiplayer, beautiful graphics and photo mode to boot!" and that will wear off in time.
We will see. I don't care about the graphics and the photo mode at all but I love the multiplayer. I am really not a good driver but I can feel myself growing and improving by competing with other people. I don't want to race against Ai ever again.
But what i would love to have some more real life tracks in GTS, Silverstons, Spa , Hockenheim etc.
And eventually any game will wear off in time, but the games with best longevity are online games. I still play the original starcraft and counterstrike.

Last edited:
People that claim that GTS has pure sim physics (and that real racing drivers are using it to ...practice) are either
a.Fans
b.Work for PD public relations
c.Dont know what they are talking about.
So imo if you want a game that is really fun to play,without being too "serious" GTS is a good one.If you want a more "sim" experience then keep playing only iRacing and Pcars 2.

I was talking about iRacing and Project Cars 2 too, well, about race sims in general.

I mean, sure you can critique the physics. But to say that they feel like soap doesn't really make any kind of sense. The cars have clear contact with the track and you can feel it very thoroughly with your wheel. The only thing that feels floaty is the rally part. Those physics have always been quite awkward.

I mean, sure you can critique the physics. But to say that they feel like soap doesn't really make any kind of sense. The cars have clear contact with the track and you can feel it very thoroughly with your wheel. The only thing that feels floaty is the rally part. Those physics have always been quite awkward.
What the reviewer actually said was that when FWD cars understeer its as if soap has been added to the tyres (gamermuscle was the review in question).

And to be honest its not far off the mark at all, understeering FWD cars in GTS do not react as car do in reality.

Now in terms of rally I agree 100%, its utterly and completely divorced from reality, to the degree that every other rally title around (and titles that have loose surface as a side part) has it beat.

God, Rally is horrible. After playing Dirt 4 extensively for the last 6 months or so the rally tracks in this game are painful. I just try to do the ones required in the campaign as fast as possible and move on once getting bronze. :)

Regarding physics, as far as I know there is *no* game/sim out there that has the physics nailed. If there is, please let me know?
I have tried quite a few. Raced iRacing for a while, have tried AC, played GT for ages, had a brief stint in rFactor, and a quick go in Project Cars 2).

In general, they are all wrong. iRacing is too unforgiving and will spin you out too harshly. GT (including sport) is on the other end of the spectrum where most cars are too easy to drive. AC was all over the place to me, depending on which car I tried.

Not one of these have nailed the feeling of a real car on the track. They all get close, but no expensive cigar. IMHO.

and that even real race drivers use this games to train (it sounds a bit funny, no?), but I am starting to think that this is just gamers trying to convince themselves it is real, and the others are doing it for marketing?

Of course its marketing. In a genre where realistic racing is the key what better way to advertise your product than to have real drivers say its good. Truth is most of the time these games are used to getting to know a circuit. Engineering wise they are a long way behind the simulation the engineering industry uses to actually model car systems.

Will the bad reviews and sales force gt sports to change direction and abandon the e sports and online focus for the traditional racing game?
There's no need to abandon eSports and I don't think anyone has called for that. They can do both eSports and an offline focus at the same time like many other games manage to do.

7HO
Well I just went and had a look at the reviews and the 1 star ones I read were by people who clearly haven't played the game because they were saying stuff that wasn't true as if they read a pre release of what we expected to be in the game and think that it how the game has actually come out. I wonder how many of those reviews are fake reviews after seeing those. I think it is pretty telling when you see the youtube reviews and people playing it. Plenty who didn't like it at first or thought they wouldn't like it are now loving it.

I was watching a video earlier today that had both FM7 and GTS footage in it, it wasn't a comparison, it was just showing off some great driving in both but when I see them both together like that it really drives home why i like GTS so much and don't like FM7.
You mean you pulled out the reviews you didn't like and ignored all the others with their spot on criticism of the title? They haven't played the game yet you can clearly see on Amazon that many of the reviews are from verified purchasers? So they bought the game, didn't play it, and submitted a review? Right, pull the other one.:lol:

Fun = fun, quality = quality. There are plenty of games out there that might be considered high or low quality and may or may not be fun.

Regarding physics, as far as I know there is *no* game/sim out there that has the physics nailed. If there is, please let me know?
I have tried quite a few. Raced iRacing for a while, have tried AC, played GT for ages, had a brief stint in rFactor, and a quick go in Project Cars 2).

In general, they are all wrong. iRacing is too unforgiving and will spin you out too harshly. GT (including sport) is on the other end of the spectrum where most cars are too easy to drive. AC was all over the place to me, depending on which car I tried.

Not one of these have nailed the feeling of a real car on the track. They all get close, but no expensive cigar. IMHO.
Not sure what the point of this is. We all know that each game has it's strengths and shortcomings. That doesn't mean that, in the overall, some are more accurate than others. You seem to be suggesting that so long as they aren't 100% accurate it doesn't matter how accurate they are. If that's true, why not just slap NFS or DC physics onto GT and call it a day?

Not sure what the point of this is. We all know that each game has it's strengths and shortcomings. That doesn't mean that, in the overall, some are more accurate than others. You seem to be suggesting that so long as they aren't 100% accurate it doesn't matter how accurate they are. If that's true, why not just slap NFS or DC physics onto GT and call it a day?

Sorry, did not quite articulate my point. :)
But you did partly interpret me correctly in that I do not think any of the games are close enough to RL to state that game A is a joke and game B is the ultimate driving sim (not implying that you did, but some do). My post was mostly in reply to @JulesDennis .

So of course we can discuss simulation details, strengths and weaknesses. But all in all I do not think that GTS is inherently worse than many of its competitors. It is different, and in some ways better than the established "holy grail" sims out there.

Fun = fun, quality = quality. There are plenty of games out there that might be considered high or low quality and may or may not be fun.
No because we are taliking about games and not a watch or a car. A game which is not fun is not high quality because that is what is was made for.

No because we are taliking about games and not a watch or a car. A game which is not fun is not high quality because that is what is was made for.
You're flat out wrong. Quality and fun are two different things. You are conflating the two because it suits your narrative that a game is fun therefore it's high quality and that is blatantly incorrect. That isn't to say you can't enjoy a low or high quality game, just that the two aren't, by definition, directly related.

You're flat out wrong. Quality and fun are two different things. You are conflating the two because it suits your narrative that a game is fun therefore it's high quality and that is blatantly incorrect. That isn't to say you can't enjoy a low or high quality game, just that the two aren't, by definition, directly related.

While I kind of agree with you, a watch that keeps bad time is not a good watch, therefore is a game that is no fun a good game and vice versa? I mean fun is definitely a quality of a good game as the ability to keep time is a quality of a good watch.

While I kind of agree with you, a watch that keeps bad time is not a good watch, therefore is a game that is no fun a good game and vice versa? I mean fun is definitely a quality of a good game as the ability to keep time is a quality of a good watch.
Define 'good'?

I'm not talking about watches and you're missing the point. The post I responded to directly equated fun with quality, meaning that because a game is fun it must therefore be high quality. That's incorrect. I don't think I'm alone in saying I've enjoyed many a game that I did not consider high quality overall. A fun game can be high quality or not, there isn't a direct correlation between the two. It's no different than relating sales to quality. Or sales to physics. Don't go running off on a tangent.

I'm not talking about watches and you're missing the point. The post I responded to directly equated fun with quality, meaning that because a game is fun it must therefore be high quality. That's incorrect. I don't think I'm alone in saying I've enjoyed many a game that I did not consider high quality overall. A fun game can be high quality or not, there isn't a direct correlation between the two. It's no different than relating sales to quality. Or sales to physics. Don't go running off on a tangent.

Yeah, no I didn't miss the point and I'm not going off on a tangent. Fun is a factor in the quality of a game just like the ability to keep time is a factor in the quality if a watch. It was a simple question and response meant to create discussion.

Define 'good'?

Performing as it's designer intended providing whatever service it is supposed to.

I understand what he is trying to say here, if you read other comments then you read where the Physics of GTS are below the realism level of say IRacing or that the number of cars and tracks are less than say PC2 or F7 which some construe of "rating" the quality of the game they spent their money on.

But his comment of " Fun equals quality" is not referring to the actual content of the game compared to others but rather what he thinks is the Quality of the time spent playing GTS as compared to the quality of the time playing the other titles.

I can agree that you can give me a racing game that matches the real world driving and handling physics perfectly but the online experience is with a bunch of snobs that totally make enjoyment difficult and feel stressful or a game which compromises the physics a bit in comparison to the other title but yet I can hop online and have a really great experience and enjoy some really close clean racing that leaves a smile on my face I know which game I would choose.

So from that point Fun can = quality when we are talking about the amount of enjoyment or experience we feel we received during our entertainment time spent when possibly comparing one title to another. Again though these results will vary by each individual and that is normal as well.

"Fun" is subjective, so comparing it to a watch that doesn't function isn't quite the same.

Sticking with the watch comparison though: considering practically all of us have an accurate timekeeper on us these days (phones), a watch is almost more for show than anything else. If I had a non-functioning Tag Monaco, I'd still wear it, because I like the design. A broken watch is still correct twice a day...

Similarly, I can still play — and enjoy — a game even if it isn't technically a high quality game. Racing games (realistic ones in particular), blur the lines too, IMO. I get a lot of fun out of Assetto Corsa's on-track experience with my wheel, because it's a solid facsimile of something I can't easily do in the real world, but would if I could. But the "gamey" aspects aren't very "fun". On the contrary, I really enjoy FM7's focus on car collecting and personalizing. The on-track experience isn't the same as AC, but it isn't terrible — and it's a game I can enjoy at less than 10/10 effort, with a pad, on the couch. Depending on mood, both are "fun" in their own way.

GT is the same way, and because of its heavy online focus, the "fun" is highly dependant on other players. I've had a few good races in Sport Mode lately (all in Gr.4), but I've also had utterly terrible experiences with rammers and trolls (yes, even in the higher DR/SR ranks). All that said, I'd never consider GT Sport lacking in quality — it's shot through with it, IMO.

Which could be very, very different from the user expectations.[/Q

Agreed.

"Fun" is subjective, so comparing it to a watch that doesn't function isn't quite the same.

Sticking with the watch comparison though: considering practically all of us have an accurate timekeeper on us these days (phones), a watch is almost more for show than anything else. If I had a non-functioning Tag Monaco, I'd still wear it, because I like the design. A broken watch is still correct twice a day...

Similarly, I can still play — and enjoy — a game even if it isn't technically a high quality game. Racing games (realistic ones in particular), blur the lines too, IMO. I get a lot of fun out of Assetto Corsa's on-track experience with my wheel, because it's a solid facsimile of something I can't easily do in the real world, but would if I could. But the "gamey" aspects aren't very "fun". On the contrary, I really enjoy FM7's focus on car collecting and personalizing. The on-track experience isn't the same as AC, but it isn't terrible — and it's a game I can enjoy at less than 10/10 effort, with a pad, on the couch. Depending on mood, both are "fun" in their own way.

GT is the same way, and because of its heavy online focus, the "fun" is highly dependant on other players. I've had a few good races in Sport Mode lately (all in Gr.4), but I've also had utterly terrible experiences with rammers and trolls (yes, even in the higher DR/SR ranks). All that said, I'd never consider GT Sport lacking in quality — it's shot through with it, IMO.

Again, agree with your entire statement. I stuck with the watch analogy since it was what started this line of the debate.

It is different, and in some ways better than the established "holy grail" sims out there.
In terms of physics simulation what are those ways?

:gtpflag:

Which is the point at which is starts getting tricky.

As an example Seb Loeb Rally Evo is easily the ugliest and worse sounding rally title available today (maybe even the worse looking and sounding racing title today full stop). So in those two you would struggle to get any argument that its far from good.

However when it comes to stage accuracy (as in width, camber, surface, etc) and physics its arguably the rally sim made today, which is subjectively good.

Now if we compare it to Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 or even the rally bits of GTS it's poor in terms of visuals and sound, how ever does that stop it being 'fun'?

Well that depends on what the individual thinks of as fun, for me no matter how 'good' it is in terms of looks and sound, GTS's rally is not even close to fun (as its so inaccurate in terms of physics, stage design, etc).

Just to give you an idea of the difference in terms of these areas in SLRE, Dirt Rally and Reality have a look at the following (but be warned SLRE really is ugly and it really does sound bloody awful):

Its what makes agreeing on what is 'good' and 'fun' so difficult.

Yeah, no I didn't miss the point and I'm not going off on a tangent. Fun is a factor in the quality of a game just like the ability to keep time is a factor in the quality if a watch. It was a simple question and response meant to create discussion.
Again, I'm not talking about watches. And again, if you followed what has been posted you'll see I've already acknowledged that one can be a factor in the other. The point being discussed is equating the two inextricably. So yes, you're off on a tangent.

:gtpflag:

Which is the point at which is starts getting tricky.

As an example Seb Loeb Rally Evo is easily the ugliest and worse sounding rally title available today (maybe even the worse looking and sounding racing title today full stop). So in those two you would struggle to get any argument that its far from good.

However when it comes to stage accuracy (as in width, camber, surface, etc) and physics its arguably the rally sim made today, which is subjectively good.

Now if we compare it to Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 or even the rally bits of GTS it's poor in terms of visuals and sound, how ever does that stop it being 'fun'?

Well that depends on what the individual thinks of as fun, for me no matter how 'good' it is in terms of looks and sound, GTS's rally is not even close to fun (as its so inaccurate in terms of physics, stage design, etc).

Just to give you an idea of the difference in terms of these areas in SLRE, Dirt Rally and Reality have a look at the following (but be warned SLRE really is ugly and it really does sound bloody awful):

Its what makes agreeing on what is 'good' and 'fun' so difficult.

Well it's definitely butt ugly. :) As a side, I may go back and get Dirt Rally. I didn't have a wheel when it was released so there was no point. Then Dirt 4 came out I got it. But Rally is only 12 bucks on Steam right now...

Well it's definitely butt ugly. :) As a side, I may go back and get Dirt Rally. I didn't have a wheel when it was released so there was no point. Then Dirt 4 came out I got it. But Rally is only 12 bucks on Steam right now...
Dirt Rally is the better of the two in my opinion.

It may lack the myStage function, but the stages it does have are better crafted and the handling model I feel is actually better all things considered.

Career mode is short, but the AI as it goes on does get very challenging, well worth it for that money.

WRC 7 is also one worth looking at, physics are more than good enough and the stages are great, some of the longest in a rally title and very, very narrow at times.

That's not a long stage by the way!

Back