Votes: 10 5.8%
  • nissan skyline

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • subaru 22b

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • toyota supra

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters
I guess Mazda overstated horespower numbers for the RX8, I guess they're lower than the 246hp. I read a small article about in a magazine. The performance numbers are still the same though. I just checked the Mazda website, and they rate the RX8 at 238hp, and 159ft-lbs.

Just thought I'd pop that in.

well, I voted for the Supra(naturally), but I like the skyline as well.....I like them all. In terms of numbers, the NSX kills the rest of them (like Eddietuner2002 said), and I believe the RX-7 would kill them all on a road course, with the skyline right behind. Finally, a good comparison. Cars with the same hp, and in the same class. Take notes everyone, this is how a real comparison is done!! :lol: :D

But does that make it best?

What makes any one of these "best"? Speed round a track? But how many owners use them for just driving round a track? 0-60mph or 1/4 mile times? But how often would you just drive them in a straight line? How about usability as a town/road car? Well, they really aren't designed for that, now are they? You may as well buy a Focus ST170 (and you'd get better fuel economy too).

The RX-8 has 4 proper seats - as do the Evo and Scooby. So for someone with a family, using it as a main car, it would be better than the 3000GT or NSX.

The Evo and Scooby return better fuel economy combined than the others - so they are better for someone who wants an affordable fast car.

Subaru dealers are bell-ends, so all the others are best for someone who wants hassle-free motoring...

To ME, the Supra is the best, because it has everything I want in a car, and nothing that I don't want.

Motorer1, the 3000gt is no where near a skyline in terms of performance. Don't get me wrong, I would love a VR-4, but it cannot compete with a skyline performance wise.

Famine, I'm not flaming (I promise), but the poll is for which one you prefer, which yes, isn't in the title, but it is on the poll tiitle. But I'm with you. Supra all the way.

*edited*

Nevertheless:

Originally posted by spike10h
best japanese 276 hp car - 10-18-03 @ 2:00 AM

which 276hp car is best

sig.gif

DAMN IT'S MANIACAL,
Last night i was fooling around, cooling around, FOOLY COOLY!!!!

Skyline GT-R is Underrated! Numerous dynos show the GT-R's RB26DETT makes about 325 HP, not 276. It has 4WD and 4WS that gets it round corners at the 1G barrier.

3000GT has unlimited-slip differentials, and wastes power to one wheel when the traction gets hairy.

The Evo has the same problem in GT3.

The Supra has bad weight bias.

The RX-7 has less than 276 HP, but is lightweight.

The RX-8 is the same as above.

The Subaru has lots of traction, with all those limited-slippers all around, and has moderate cornering.

The NSX is lacking in power, but is lightweight, plus it is in the optimal "hockey puk" position with the engine behind you.

Out of these cars, I say the GT-R, RX-7 and 8, NSX, Subaru, Evo, Supra, and 3000GT would come past the finish in that order on a race course. The GT-R has the power, the X's have the lighteight, the Evo and Subaru are average, and the Supra and 3000GT would suffer with the bad cornering.

Originally posted by Impreza STi
Skyline GT-R is Underrated! Numerous dynos show the GT-R's RB26DETT makes about 325 HP, not 276. It has 4WD and 4WS that gets it round corners at the 1G barrier.

3000GT has unlimited-slip differentials, and wastes power to one wheel when the traction gets hairy.

The Evo has the same problem in GT3.

The Supra has bad weight bias.

The RX-7 has less than 276 HP, but is lightweight.

The RX-8 is the same as above.

The Subaru has lots of traction, with all those limited-slippers all around, and has moderate cornering.

The NSX is lacking in power, but is lightweight, plus it is in the optimal "hockey puk" position with the engine behind you.

Out of these cars, I say the GT-R, RX-7 and 8, NSX, Subaru, Evo, Supra, and 3000GT would come past the finish in that order on a race course. The GT-R has the power, the X's have the lighteight, the Evo and Subaru are average, and the Supra and 3000GT would suffer with the bad cornering.
Finally, someone with some actuall figures and a good understanding. 👍 :cheers: 👍

I don't see how a mitsubishi 3000GT would qualify...seeing as how it has 310HP....unless PD gave it some wrong numbers........and I don't see how the 3000gt would suffer from bad cornering seeing as how it has all wheel steering..WAIT PD didn't incorperate that either...man..pd just held a grudge against the GTO didn't they? and the only place a 3000gT has a open diff is in the front because Mitsu determined it to be unessecary....it's sgot a viscous coupler in the rear..and the center is a 33/66 split center differential, so the power to the "front one wheel" you're talking about losing, wouldn't be tremendous power, and if you're slipping you wouldn't want that power anyway.

The skyline is under rated...
The Evo is under rated
The 3000GT is under rated
so the fact that you just point out the SKYLINE being under rated is highly bias.
The Rx7 makes 280hp....only the USDM Rx7 made 255
The Rx8 weights 3029 lbs and makes 250HP while the 7 weights 2789 lbs and makes 280...

so the Rx8 doens't have the same problem as the 7.

The supra has a bad weight bias? it has 3325 lbs...the skyline weights 3674 lbs

the supra sits at a 51/49 weight distribution while the skylines is 57/43

and the honda NSX lacking power? seeing as how in 96 the NSX/NSX-T were making 270HP with the C30 engine and not the C32...which makes 280HP from base NSX to NSX-R
mid mounted in a car that weights 2953.36(NSX) or 2799 (NSX-R)

so power isnt an issue their either.

I just remembered that I have a video of a few of these cars around a track (five laps)! Here are the results:

1st: Mazda RX-7!
2nd: Nissan Skyline GTR34
3rd: Honda NSX S-Zero
4th: Honda NSX S
5th: Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR
6th: Nissan Skyline GTR33
DNF: Mitsubishi Evolution V RS (pulled out because of transmission errors I believe)

That was the overall... however, best laps were a bit different:
Nissan Skyline GTR34: 1'05.32
Mazda RX-7: 1'05.94
Mitsubishi Evolution V RS: 1'06.23
Honda NSX S-Zero: 1'06.32
Honda NSX S: 1'06.96
Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR: 1'07.09
Nissan Skyline GTR33: 1'08.04

Originally posted by VG30DETT
I just remembered that I have a video of a few of these cars around a track (five laps)! Here are the results:

1st: Mazda RX-7!
2nd: Nissan Skyline GTR34
3rd: Honda NSX S-Zero
That was the overall... however, best laps were a bit different:
Nissan Skyline GTR34: 1'05.32
Mazda RX-7: 1'05.94
Go RX7!!!

Alot of those cars arent actually 276hp, thats just what they rate them for insurance and emission reasons. I know that Buschur Racing out of Norwalk, Ohio dyno'd their stock EVO VIII and it hit numbers of 320hp. You will tend to find that if its rated 276hp, its likely to be a little more... which is a good thing

personally:
skyline in stock situations gives me too much understeer
Lan-Evo has limited tuning capabilities but provides amazing handling for an awd
never tried the subaru 22b
3000GT was the car i was completely obsessed with in gt2...despite the understeer thanks to my crappy knowledge of tuning
supra - been a looong time since i used it...
rx7-FC...same understeer probs when stock...i drive cars a bit too hard
nsx - it's alright...i'm not comfortable with it's stock handling...
rx-8 - i LOVE the way it takes corners in it's stock state. it's gonna win me the pd cup :P

i absolutely LOVE skyline GTRs...but in the game, idunno...handling is iffy. i still use the calsonic as my primary though.

so, for me, it's between evo and rx-8 but rx-8 doesn't fit in this category, so it's evo!!!!

no...wait...i just remembered my nismo skyline...GO SKYLINE

Not only is the RX-7 massively quick in stock form, but it has sublime balance: low weight, small motor, and good weight distribution. Gets disgustingly quick with less weight and more power, but very fidgety handling.

I'm casting my vote as someone who mostly uses simulation tyres, and does most driving in Free Run, with all traction and handling aids off. The cars' true handling traits really come out this way, and makes it much more challenging. How many others regularly drive with sim rubber?

My second-favourite is the Evo VIII. Not as quick as some of the others, but so much fun (chuckable chassis! four-wheel drift!) and makes sweet sound with a racing exhaust bolted on :mischievous:

NSX is nice but not very powerful; GT-R (R34) good too but it's really heavy so not too agile (lots of power-oversteer for a 4WD too). But sounds really pissed-off (this is good) and has amazing brakes.

Supra powerful but heavy.

Ditto 3000GT.

Impreza has too much understeer in all conditions.

RX-8 nicely balanced, but gearing is very tall and not a lot of tourque from the non-turbo engine, so acceleration suffers. Lovely sound from the rotary, though.

My two cents. :D

Originally posted by battle_stage
Japan has horsepower limits for all their cars, which is 280ps which comes out to 276hp. That's why all these cars have all the same hp.

Damn Im glad someone said that, it was driving me crazy wondering why no car company in Japan felt the urge to pull away from the competetion. So thats why Japan is so anti V8. Too powerful for them. :lol: But I heard from a Honda fanatic at work that an NSX will be released soon with a 500 HP V8. Maybe rice can compete with American power if thats the case. :mischievous:

Originally posted by 2005McLarenF1
Damn Im glad someone said that, it was driving me crazy wondering why no car company in Japan felt the urge to pull away from the competetion. So thats why Japan is so anti V8. Too powerful for them. :lol: But I heard from a Honda fanatic at work that an NSX will be released soon with a 500 HP V8. Maybe rice can compete with American power if thats the case. :mischievous:

what an azz...:irked:

Back