Best methods to tire saving?

• Thread starter Evoholic61
  • 24 comments
United States
Bristol,TN
I've tried acouple diffrent things to try and help tire...lile TC on early breaking lighter on the throttle..but i got to be over looking something?

General rule is to be as gentle on throttle as possible. The less excessive spin you have, the better. Avoid grass and just cutting the track too much. Avoid locking the front wheels during breaking (if driving without ABS)

Also, increased downforce affects the tyre wear aswell IRL, but i don't know if this is the same in GTS.

Drive as smooth as you can, dont do late braking, brake early, get on the pedal early on the exit of the corners, dont slide the car or have wheelspin... Yes on paper its easy but then on practice is hard, of course.
In this game its particularly hard since the throttle is still non linear and you need alien precision....
And yes, more downforce makes you slower in straights but it contributes to better tire management. I usually race with maximum downforce all the time except for high-speed tracks like Monza or La Sarthe.

I wear headphones while playing and I do mind hearing about the tires screeching. That means the tires are hurting, because they are under heavy load. Problem is to be fast and look after the tires.

It's either about managing tires and being fast or being fast even with worn tires.

I wear headphones while playing and I do mind hearing about the tires screeching. That means the tires are hurting, because they are under heavy load. Problem is to be fast and look after the tires.

It's either about managing tires and being fast or being fast even with worn tires.
the key is to be as smooth as possible..

Depending on the car and how it uses front and/or rear tyres, changing the brake bias helps to alleviate some of the wear. Bias to the rear to preserve the front tyres etc. I'm going by what I've heard in top split driver videos but I may have misunderstood what they meant.

I've been told tire saving is one of my best strengths and I've used that to win a recent FIA race or two. It comes down to a few things:

- Brake bias: Depending on the car, you can adjust this forward to save the rears and vice versa.

- Trail braking: Allows for more rotation through corners.

- Minimizing steering angles: Via effective trailbraking and letting the car float through corners.

Personally, saving tires isn't that useful of an advantage unless wear is dialed up and/or multiple compounds are allowed. An example is using the softest tire available but only going 75-90% speed to skip a pit stop or be faster than the next compound down going all out.

Tyres will get worn what ever you do. But your are right, its possible to save some tyres.

My suggestion to you is to be as fast as possible, focus on driving fast. When you focus on that you will get better to use the full wide off the track and you will be better to be smoother and you tyres will benefit from that.

So don't focus to much on tyres, just focus to be fast.

What's the idea of braking earlier and slow, what you gain on tyres you will loose in lap time.

The right keyword is not smoothness is being fast. My opinion

What's the idea of braking earlier and slow, what you gain on tyres you will loose in lap time.
Earlier braking and having good corner exits, actually makes you go faster, not slower. And on paper its better for tire management aswell, rather than doing crazy late brakings

Tyres will get worn what ever you do. But your are right, its possible to save some tyres.

My suggestion to you is to be as fast as possible, focus on driving fast. When you focus on that you will get better to use the full wide off the track and you will be better to be smoother and you tyres will benefit from that.

So don't focus to much on tyres, just focus to be fast.

The right keyword is not smoothness is being fast. My opinion

The concept works as being a net gain/loss over a full run rather than an individual lap gain/loss.

If you back off just a bit that is costing you say 2 tenths of a slower lap as compared to the guy pushing every lap and a full run is 7 laps well if that backing off cost you 2 tenths loss for 5 laps, and because of having less tire wear than the guy that pushed every lap you are 5 tenths faster on lap 6 and a full 2 seconds a lap faster on the last lap of the run than the guy who did not manage his tires your net gain would be over the full run would be

-.2x5, , +.5 , +2.0 = +1.5 gain in time for the full run of the entire 7 laps.

If tire management did not result in better finishing positions then you can rest assured those guys in the real world spending multiple thousands of dollars to compete on a race weekend would not employ the strategy.

Sometimes a little slower can result in actually being a little faster, very similar to what is better, the winning a battle or winning the war concept?

Imagine braking too late at every corner and locking up, skidding through the apex of corners, running wide and hearing the tyres squeal, all while being as heavy handed with your steering inputs as possible...now do the opposite.

This is a section from a book called Think Fast by Neil Roberts where he talks about “under-driving”. Bare in mind this is referring to real cars on a real track but the same principal applies,

Basically in a race you aren’t hot lapping, you’re driving smoothly, so you’re hitting every apex, and saving the tyres. Less mental fatigue for a longer race too.

It’s a decent read!

image.jpg

The only time I tire save is obviously on the endurances where its an issue.

Then I go all out as I did something wrong like stay on the tyres too long and the race is ending and I cant be bothered pitting.

I usually have enough power and fuel but its a case of lowering fuel map a notch, maybe even switching to bumper cam and then brake early, accelerate out smoothly and stay off the curbs. If possible try to coast into corners.

Dont participate in actual like... racing... I'm usually in the lead by this time so I'm just warming the lead position until the end.

I feel the races in GTS aren't long enough to warrant extreme tyre saving strategies (speaking in Sport Mode - GT League endurance events are longer but AI is so slow anyway it doesn't matter what you do). The benefit of smooth driving is more stable tyre wear rate. You don't go from 100% to 50% and suddenly get caught out because your previous lap braking point is way off. You just lose 5-10% of grip each lap and it's much easier to predict and be consistent. There's no point pushing hard and only gaining a few tenths a lap, only for you to have a spin out (or worse penalty for going off track) that costs 5-10 seconds. Better drive 0.5 secs slower, but keep that pace over the whole stint.

Now fuel saving, that's a whole different ball game due to the accelerated refuelling rates. Save like there's no tomorrow whenever you can. I never use Engine Map above 3 unless I'm desperately trying to runaway from someone in a win/lose last lap situation. Stick to Map 3/4, shortshift, lift and coast, and draft on the straights as much as possible. Let gravity do the work on downhill sections. Save save save.

It also depends on the car... I feel like Porsche 911s do not suffer worn tyres very well... like obviously... the weight past the back axle makes worn back tyres a million times worse.

However I found that I can manage normal FR format cars on say around 66-75% condition RH tyres reasonably well.

I cant for the life of me make RS tyres last any sort of distance.

I dont use RSS given I cant even handle RS.

it doesn't really make much of a difference how you drive in sport mode with regards to tires. there's no flat spotting or anything like that. just slide as little as possible

I find that using the fuel saving method of coasting into braking zones also helps tire wear. Try it. Instead of braking at the 100m marker, coast about 50-100m before that and then brake. The lower speed allows you to get on the brakes slightly later too. Sometimes you can coast through a corner as well. That helps the tires and the fuel.

Be smooth as possible, don't mash the brakes and throttle as you have to be gentle with them, consistency here is what is important so you will want to maintain your pace.

So forget about hotlapping, leave that for qualifying.

Cranking up the TCS to 3 can help, but frankly some cars don't help their case at all when it comes to tyre saving, like the GR Supra Gr3 and the V12 Vantage GT3, too much power for shorter gears means there will be a wheelspin even if you're extra careful, so I just avoid using those on endurance races.

Also RR cars are bad for that too, since the engine is mounted on the rear axle, which puts more traction on the rear tires...and also more load, FR and 4WD cars would be ideal, MR cars...Not so much.

The reason why I'm focusing on rear tire wear here is because the rear tires are more important to be saved than the front tires, with worn front tires you can still drive with lots of understeer but it's manageable, with worn rear tires you will be oversteering and spinning all over the place, killing your pace and lap times.

Last edited:
Back