Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6

• Thread starter KraigA
  • 456 comments
No. Not even close.

How many cars used paddle shifters 20 years ago?

Don't know if your question was rhetorical, but I will answer it anyway.

You mean 1994? Well there were boatloads of F1 cars that used paddle shifters, I think Ferrari got on it first in terms of competitive racing, it just wasn't refined enough or popular enough to catch on but they did have them. Many other production cars before 1990s, actually even further back used or experimented with forms of semi automatic transmission, both in production cars and autosport. Ferrari was also the first to use what we colloquially mean by "paddle shifting" with the Ferrari 355, I know this because I read some history on Ferrari production models.

Hope that answered your question mate. :D

No. Not even close.

How many cars used paddle shifters 20 years ago?

The sound is annoyingly sharp and "windy", but it does sound like PD made their best to replicate the M3's high rev V8. It might not be exact, but trust me, it is correct. And this is not a case of comparing with the real thing because there is no way it will sound like the real thing. Let's remember this is a game, and there are limits. As long as PD knows how to get close to the car's sound in real life and that they match the engine type with the sample, it's okay. Even the example I gave of the Cizeta which has probably one of the most exact sample in the game, it's still a bit artificial and looped when compared to the real thing.

So yeah, the E92 is as correct as it can get.

The M3 E46, now that's wrong indeed.

Don't know if your question was rhetorical, but I will answer it anyway.

You mean 1994? Well there were boatloads of F1 cars that used paddle shifters, I think Ferrari got on it first in terms of competitive racing, it just wasn't refined enough or popular enough to catch on but they did have them. Many other production cars before 1990s, actually even further back used or experimented with forms of semi automatic transmission, both in production cars and autosport. Ferrari was also the first to use what we colloquially mean by "paddle shifting" with the Ferrari 355, I know this because I read some history on Ferrari production models.

Hope that answered your question mate. :D
Then how come you assumed the Mclaren F1 used paddle shifters? The paddle shift version of the 355 was released in 1997.
The sound is annoyingly sharp and "windy", but it does sound like PD made their best to replicate the M3's high rev V8. It might not be exact, but trust me, it is correct. And this is not a case of comparing with the real thing because there is no way it will sound like the real thing. Let's remember this is a game, and there are limits. As long as PD knows how to get close to the car's sound in real life and that they match the engine type with the sample, it's okay. Even the example I gave of the Cizeta which has probably one of the most exact sample in the game, it's still a bit artificial and looped when compared to the real thing.

So yeah, the E92 is as correct as it can get.

The M3 E46, now that's wrong indeed.
The E92 is closer to the real thing from the cockpit but from exterior view it's completely different. I'll have to test the car tomorrow to make sure :s

Then how come you assumed the Mclaren F1 used paddle shifters? The paddle shift version of the 355 was released in 1997.

The E92 is closer to the real thing from the cockpit but from exterior view it's completely different. I'll have to test the car tomorrow to make sure :s

Yes, although in cockpit cam it has that trademark "vacuum cleaner" whoosh with almost no low range sounds, although it still sounds like the proper V8 that the car has. Chase cam has a bit more grunt into it and you can appreciate the V8 growl a bit more. It's strange but the higher this car goes in RPM's the worst it sounds. At low revs it sounds really nice.

I assumed because for one I haven't driven that car before, not even in GT5, and because what that whole post was about road cars and racecars getting paddle shifters during the 90s. McLaren F1 is more of a homologation car, if I recall it was a race car first and road car was based off of it. Maybe it was the other way around, but thats off topic.

We have an E46 M3 in the game? The BMW GT3 cars are pretty bad replicated.

I think the E92 is as wrong as the E46s; both are missing intake, and that's a cardinal sin for any M-car, even the new turbo ones.

For reference with the E92: intake, exhaust. EDIT: compare onboard.
All you get in GT is some weird exhaust / intake combined approximant, but it comes from the exhaust and is treated like an exhaust. The "engine" sound is just whizzy; GT standard fare.

Last edited:
I think the E92 is as wrong as the E46s; both are missing intake, and that's a cardinal sin for any M-car, even the new turbo ones.

For reference with the E92: intake, exhaust.
All you get in GT is some weird exhaust / intake combined approximant, but it comes from the exhaust and is treated like an exhaust. The "engine" sound is just whizzy; GT standard fare.

Have you noticed with the E92 M3 (Motorsport) '10 it sounds really weird. From the chase cams the transmission whine drones out everything. In the cockpit it is so muted and sounds really quiet, the engine note is like a slight hum. Only from the exhaust you get this weird bass sound. Not like a v8 rumble, but just a pure bass nose, it doesn't get deeper or lighter with revs, its just constant. I think PD messed up royally on that car.

In my opinion the sounds we have in GT6 are not so bad overall. I liked how the X2014 sounded because it was aggressive. I think if you distort a little bit the actual sounds you can get a way better result.

Have you noticed with the E92 M3 (Motorsport) '10 it sounds really weird. From the chase cams the transmission whine drones out everything. In the cockpit it is so muted and sounds really quiet, the engine note is like a slight hum. Only from the exhaust you get this weird bass sound. Not like a v8 rumble, but just a pure bass nose, it doesn't get deeper or lighter with revs, its just constant. I think PD messed up royally on that car.

I haven't actually tried it. But it's probably only a placeholder. :P

The way GT6 does the gear change is like driving an automatic, way too smooth, manual gearboxes shift as smooth as a paddle, that 🤬🤬🤬🤬 awesome F1 video showed that PD still got a ways to go.:P

This is something I realised when I got a G25 and started using a clutch to change gear. With that, you suddenly get far more engine activity during a shift, it's hard to describe but it actually sounds like when a real car shifts gear, sometimes, you get it bang on, sometimes you get on the throttle too quick and get a little rev sound as the clutch comes up, it sounds fantastic and much more satisfying than the incredibly dull sounding paddle shift effect.

It's the main reason I don't like double clutch gearboxes in real life, they just sound so dull!

Instead of just wittering on, I thought I'd actually taken few minutes to film what I mean.

Having just acquired the Red Bull Junior, which a lot of people have and which cant be modified, it seemed a good car to demonstrate what is missing from GT sounds that even those who like them may not have realised!

Enjoy :)

I get what you mean, (watch out for that double post btw) but I used a G27 from my mate for a while, regular shifting, and even powershifting (only dare do this in game) the transition is really smooth, as if I was doubleclutching which I wasn't at the time.

In road cars this should be addressed for some, but for the race spec cars which have brutal upshift and downshift sounds thats missing. The McLaren F1 vid on youtube with the onboard cam showed how much pull and the feel of it as you shifted, PD makes it as if driving the McLaren F1 on the Nurb' feel like driving a Prius in your town center.

EDIT: It seems that you have to hold the clutch in to get that sound.

DOUBLE EDIT: The rough shift sound can be replicated on DS3 by timing the pressing of the ebrake with the shift. (when you shift, shift first then ebrake right after, gets that similar sound)

Last edited:
I just bought the Shelby Series One and it sounds glorious and beatiful, also the Jaguar XKR R performance and the alfa 8c competizione are pretty much the real thing.

I just bought the Shelby Series One and it sounds glorious and beatiful, also the Jaguar XKR R performance and the alfa 8c competizione are pretty much the real thing.

That Shelby though.... one of the few cars that actually gets better at high revs and.... its a standard. Maybe PD was like lets pick random cars and make those sound really good and hide them so people have to find it to get a good sound.

Instead of just wittering on, I thought I'd actually taken few minutes to film what I mean.

Having just acquired the Red Bull Junior, which a lot of people have and which cant be modified, it seemed a good car to demonstrate what is missing from GT sounds that even those who like them may not have realised!

I just assumed it was locked to sequential, and always switched my shifter over in advance! Well, there's some fun I'll be having very soon! :D

That Shelby though.... one of the few cars that actually gets better at high revs and.... its a standard. Maybe PD was like lets pick random cars and make those sound really good and hide them so people have to find it to get a good sound.

Yeah I guess your right mate, PD logic :confused::lol:
At least some cars have good sound it is to bad that is almost none of the LMP and Group C have it right

Yeah I guess your right mate, PD logic :confused::lol:
At least some cars have good sound it is to bad that is almost none of the LMP and Group C have it right

And those cars are the most mental sounding vehicles in real life. With the exception of the R18 E Tron which is like a Tesla half the time.

The Red Bull Junior sounds amazing! I was browsing the internet, while paused in the dirt of Apricot Hill Raceway (it was warm up laps pre-race). Anyways, the sound of a passing online player had me startled, in the best of ways. There I was, mid-stride, reading an article on the interweb when all of a sudden, a simple downshift and a snarl of the engine captured my attention! It was a lovely moment. GT needs more of this, among other things.

We'd like a livery editor, too, please. Casuals always ask me, what has changed about GT6? I say not much. The sounds are still poor. And there's still no livery editor in 2013.....or 2014. People shake their heads and then carry on with their days.

Free, good advice. :)

Last edited:
Give me the old school muscle sound. Corvette Coup, A/C Cars 427, Shelby Cobras. Then I also really like the high RPM cars. Honda HSV, F1s, Opera Performances, don't forget that Orange car, HRT I think? It was an award winner. Oh, and the Nissan Calsonic Impul! Another "bad" boy!

Is that the new X2014? It sounds amazing! :eek::drool:

Does that happen with others cars too? Can you show it, please? It makes me want to sell my DFGT and buy a wheel with clutch! :)

Does that happen with others cars too? Can you show it, please? It makes me want to sell my DFGT and buy a wheel with clutch! :)

Only a few cars will stay locked in sequential mode, the vast majority can be enjoyed in the manner presented in @letdown427 's video.

Only the X-cars have the new exhaust sounds, though, so there'll be some loss of expression as a result. If the game had intake sounds, it'd sound and feel (interaction-wise) even better with the "full control" three pedals give!

That's why so many people want a clutch button, for all controllers.

Only a few cars will stay locked in sequential mode, the vast majority can be enjoyed in the manner presented in @letdown427 's video.

Only the X-cars have the new exhaust sounds, though, so there'll be some loss of expression as a result. If the game had intake sounds, it'd sound and feel (interaction-wise) even better with the "full control" three pedals give!

That's why so many people want a clutch button, for all controllers.

That is awesome. Makes me wonder if I can assign a clutch function to one of the buttons in my DFGT. Just to try it out.

I assumed because for one I haven't driven that car before, not even in GT5, and because what that whole post was about road cars and racecars getting paddle shifters during the 90s. McLaren F1 is more of a homologation car, if I recall it was a race car first and road car was based off of it. Maybe it was the other way around, but thats off topic.

We have an E46 M3 in the game? The BMW GT3 cars are pretty bad replicated.
Well if you knew the 355 F1 was the first to get it, how did you assume the Mclaren F1 had it? The Mclaren came out like 3 years before the 355 paddle-shift version came out. Also, no. The Mclaren F1 was designed as a road car from the ground up by a former F1 car designer. His focus on the car being as light as possible was possibly why he decided against a flappy paddle gearbox. It was later converted to a race car.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude or anything I didn't mean for it to be. I was just surprised someone would think paddle shifting is that old. It isn't. While a lot of cars started adopting it in the early 2000s, it was actually terrible until 5-6 years ago.

Only F1 cars. :)
Yup.

Back