Better AI Competiton

• Thread starter JBJAMMIN
  • 36 comments
United States
United States
JBJAMMIN79
I want the AI to actually challenge me. Block, trade paint, defend a position. It gets boring watching the "competition take predetermined lines. I just wish there was more feedback form AI in response to my input. Make it challenging and give me a reason to play the game other than simply completing to get credits.

The other great flaw of the GT series apart from the sounds, we need fixed grid starts, AI opposition that is aware of you and caters to all player levels; beginners and experts.

We want to be challenged by them, not start from the back with a 30 second gap on the leader and pass the moving chicanes on our way to the rabbit in front.
Ditch the obvious rubber banding, it is too extreme... which racing games have AI bots waiting for you at the finish line so you can pass them for god's sake?

This should be a racing game, not a traffic simulator...

I want the AI to actually challenge me. Block, trade paint, defend a position. It gets boring watching the "competition take predetermined lines. I just wish there was more feedback form AI in response to my input. Make it challenging and give me a reason to play the game other than simply completing to get credits.
You are so right!

The problem is not only the AI difficulty but also the different PP of the cars in a race. At the end of the race the cars are so far away from each other that there is no competition between several drivers anymore. Only in equal car races (like the Red Bull or the cart races) you can see some car fights going on and the car starting in first position is not always the winner.

I hate to compare GT with Forza (4) but there you had the chance to select "car tuning" so that all cars in a race are almost on the same PP level.

VBR
I'm suprised at how far down this is on the Features wanted forum. I'm guessing that most players have just given up asking, seeing as we never get better AI. So sad. :(
We've asked for so long and after all these years all we get are some free cars that you can't change. It's a nice gesture but I just do not see why more improvements based on fan response have not been implemented. I love the franchise, always will but I regret spending the $60. I downloaded GRID from Playstation+ and have had so much fun playing it. I have played GT6 much less. We want a challenge, a reason to start it up, and sadly Polyphony hasn't stepped up to the plate. I would take less cars and tracks if it meant we could get better sound and racing feedback. We all who play GT know what racing is, and this is not it. It upsets me that they think we are ignorant to what a true racing is supposed to be. It should be much farther advanced than the first time I popped that disc into the original grey Playstation years ago.

Completely rebuilt AI is my most wanted improvement in GT6. The AI in GT6 is simply disgraceful and PD should be truly ashamed of it's approach to it. As you may know, I am not one for slamming PD unless it is warranted but on this issue I think it is appalling for a studio of any size and budget to see this as acceptable.

I still love playing GT6 everyday but I only do time trials or play online.

FAO Polyphony Digital:

If you added Practice & Qualification to Career Mode in Gran Turismo, then programmed the game to work out the average lap time from the players fastest ones during Practice, the game could then automatically adjust the AI drivers pace to match the speed of the player for the race.

This way, the game would tailor the speed of the AI drivers to the player, & there would be no need for the annoying rubber band effect which is ruining the GT series for many of us. Rubber banding could still be included as an option, which could be turned on or off by the player & have it's strength adjusted (in increments of 1 to 10). With rubber banding off, if the player makes a mistake & spins out they will never be able to catch the leaders & win. This will give Career mode replay value, a reason play the event again & not just grind it.

More on this idea here.

Last edited:
VBR
4) Rubber Banding In Career Mode: Why is there no option to turn off the rubber band effect in Career Mode? Why is it forced upon all players regardless of their individual abilities? In the 2002 F1 Austrian Gran Prix, Rubens Barrichello was forced to slow down & let Micheal Schumacher win, & there was a huge uproar from the fans afterwards. Many GT fans feel a similar sense of anger & disappointment that you have programmed the AI to slow down & let them win! Please, for the love of racing stop patronizing us & give us the option to turn rubber banding off in the main menu for Career Mode (& Arcade Mode as well). Also, please give us similar options for Slipstream so that we can change the setting.

Original post is here.

i don´t understand why PD can´t create a better AI. Geoff Crammond´s game "Grand Prix 3" was released in 2000 and it´s AI was perfect. 14 years later, PD should be able to do it even better... :odd:

GT6 with a much better and competitive AI, Qualify-sessions and longer races would be a really good racing game.

GT6 needs optional qualifying, standing starts, adjustable AI difficulty (AI pace & aggressiveness), and option to enable damage, penalties, and fuel/tire wear in all offline modes.

all races should have strict regulations, just like real life, so all cars are similar, and therefore could start on a grid. They would be closer together and more competition. But the AI needs to be more competitive too, because I can suddenly slam on my brakes in front of an opponent and instead of overtaking he waits behind me.:confused: PD tries to cheat by making races hard by putting you behind by 30 seconds, this is not ok.

Last edited:
I'd love to have some real AI, unfortunately the whole solo game evolves around that crappy "AI", which you'd rather call "scripted cars".

With a real AI, you can't start at the end and win, unless there is quite a gap in the cars, simple as that. With a real AI, you can't get something better than last place if you spin out, unless someone else spins out.
Which means no 3 laps races starting at the back, and no fun for a lot of people. Which means the whole game needs to be revamped. The whole point of other cars in that game is to hinder the player, they are not here to compete. Like many, i find absolutely no fun in that, but that is how it goes, because most buyers actually WANT that. Forza 4 suffers from the same thing, so did gt5 and forza 3. There is a reason to that, and it is actually simple: most buyers dont want to face an AI. They want to be flattered, and what is better for that ? Being barely able to overtake a couple of cars during a race, while losing positions on every mistake, or make them overtake like they are godlike drivers, recover spins in a breeze, while losing at most a couple positions that will be regained after that many corners ?

Now there is a way to satisfy everyone, but that cost money. We could have a gamemode with an actual AI, that would drive their car like they should, pay attention to their surroundings, trade lines while battling. But is this gamemode actually wanted by most console players ? I don't think so.
I hate driving around with dumb blocks of metal that stand in my way. The only reason i play the solo mode is to unlock cars and get credits, i spend most of my time doing time attacks and drifting, where there is nothing of that scripted cars crap. I want to play a RACE, not "traffic simulator 2014".

Just make an adaptative AI like in live for speed, this works and is easy to do. Couple it with qualifications and call that "racing mode", keep the current system as "arcade mode" or "simulator mode" (i learned the hard way how no racing game is a simulator, but to each their own) and everyone will be happy.

One thing is sure : i did not buy an xbox one and forza 5 because the bloody AI was as stupid as in the previous forza; and i sure as hell will not buy GT7 if it still uses that AI and has such crappy sounds. Having tons of content is nice, but currently the game makes my brain and ears cry.

I really want a game that could replace live for speed, grand prix legends and richard burns rally. These are my top 3 best racing games ever, i still play them from time to time. But they really could use better graphics and sounds now.

Improved AI was not very high on my list of Gran Turismo flaws until I recently picked up GRID - Autosport. This game has great AI characteristics and personalities which have made me realize that the backbone of offline racing is competitive AI. I have not won a single race in Grid and I still can't put the game down. After each race I am sweating, my arms are sore and I am happy for every position I can gain on the competition. Having the ability to turn on my PS3 and be racing competitively against fast, intelligent (and sometimes dirty) AI within a few minutes is a revelation.

I had to join a league through gtplanet just to be able to get the close racing and adrenaline rush I can now have whenever I want.

Intelligent, competitive AI is essential in a game like Gran Turismo where my only options for offline racing are "arcade" races with randomly selected opponents.

Please don't take the above as being soley an endorsement for another game. The actual point of this is that it took me until I owned a game with really good AI competition to see just how bad it is in Gran Turismo. And that is entirely my fault for not having expanded my virtual racing experiences to begin with.

I noticed the AI would regularly ease off the throttle if they are being passed, especially in the corners. This is bad because they are basically parking themselves right at the apex of the corner. Sometimes the difference in speed is so great that one would not expect it and rear end them. Then they would get on the gas and skittle away.

Look PD, It is possible.

P.S. what are the physics like?
Physics are pretty good. You can feel the effect on the car if you put too much wheel or gas into it. Its not total sim but you feel like you are driving your way. If you run into a wall its terminal, no bumper cars in this game.

Last edited:
Improved AI was not very high on my list of Gran Turismo flaws until I recently picked up GRID - Autosport. This has great AI characteristics and personalities which have made me realize that the backbone of offline racing is competitive AI. I have not won a single race in Grid and I still can't put the game down. After each race I am sweating, my arms are sore and I am happy for every position I can gain on the competition. Having the ability to turn on my PS3 and be racing competitively against fast, intelligent (and sometimes dirty) AI within a few minutes is a revelation.

I had to join a league through gtplanet just to be able to get the close racing and adrenaline rush I can now have whenever I want.

Intelligent, competitive AI is essential in a game like Gran Turismo where my only options for offline racing are "arcade" races with randomly selected opponents.

Please don't take the above as being soley an endorsement for another game. The actual point of this is that it took me until I owned a game with really good AI competition to see just how bad it is in Gran Turismo. And that is entirely my fault for not having expanded my virtual racing experiences to begin with.
Man I feel the same way. I feel like I have raced my butt off after playing GRID. The collisions, having to beat a rival, the SOUNDS FX, crashes, etc! It just blows my mind that Polyphony is so far behind making a pure racing game.

Back