GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
Canada
Vancouver, BC
Awong124
I got it a day before release date I guess because the post office was efficient :P.

As typical of every recent Codemasters game I've ever played, the first thing I had to do was spend at least 15 minutes messing around with the Advanced Wheel Settings. But this time I kind of screwed it up for myself, because thinking that I have a 900 degree steering wheel I should set Multiturn to ON. That was a mistake. I spent like 10 minutes fiddling around with the settings and nothing I did made the game even remotely playable. I then turned Multiturn OFF, and it was more or less perfect with the default settings *facepalm*. As I've complained with every CM game, they should really have a description for what each setting actually does.

Now that I got the negativity over with, on to the fun bit :D

I'm playing Career mode with very hard AI, full damage, 5x flashbacks, all aids off except ABS, interior dashboard view (no steering wheel), and 5x race distance. I just did the first race in Touring, and had a choice between Team Oakley with a Chevy Cruz and Team Razer with a Ford Focus. I chose Team Razer because I like the Focus more. I would guess that these are teams at the lower end of the field, and even though Touring has more or less equal cars, the lower end teams are less developed and has less upgrades which make them slightly slower. The first race was on a version of the Istanbul circuit. I did the full Practice session to get the hang of the car and track.

The handling of the cars are very good. They are still a touch floaty, with less sense of weight than I would like, but nowhere near the extent of how GRID 1 was. That being said, however, I was still a bit disappointed because I was expecting for it to feel more like their F1 games. The handling of the cars in their F1 games feel rock solid, with no floatiness whatsoever. So that shows me that they are definitely capable of producing a handling model that feels absolutely solid, but they chose not to. I don't know why they made this choice, maybe it's a distinctive GRID thing. But it's still very good and definitely very playable, even if it doesn't feel like you're as much in control of the car as you'd think you should be. Maybe open wheel would feel more like the F1 cars, but I haven't played that yet. But if I've never played the F1 games to compare, I'd still be more than happy with the handling.

I then did Qualifying, which is just 3 flying laps. I ended up qualifying 5th, behind the two Ravenwest cars on the front row and the two Team Kicker cars in the second row. Now the race is where this game really shines. I'm playing 5x race distance, so this is a 15 lap race. On very hard AI difficulty, the AI are fast. It really seemed like they were wringing out the last ounce of performance in those cars, because I could barely keep up when I was driving flat out. When you first start out with a crappy team, you wouldn't expect to start winning every race... and in this game you don't. I was lucky on the first lap to get past the 4th place Team Kicker car when the field was still bunched together. But as the laps went on, the leading three cars pulled away from me at about half a second per lap, and the Kicker car I just passed was all over my back like a bad suit. The AI are very quick and very professional. They do bump a bit sometimes, but nothing crazy. The odd thing I noticed was that they sometimes hit me on the rear quarter panel at the end of the straight when they cut back across the track to the racing line after pulling out to get alongside me. But I think this is just a bit of a glitch in their programming, and not done intentionally to be dirty. I had to race defensively the whole race to keep the guy behind me. Then around 2/3 through the race, I suddenly saw the 3rd place car a lot closer to me than in the previous few laps. I got closer and saw sparks flying out of the car. Even then he kept a pretty good pace, and it took me a couple of laps to close up behind him. He eventually made a mistake, and I passed him around the outside of turn 1. I ended up finishing 3rd in my first race, 8.5 seconds behind the race winner.

The race was so intense I was literally breaking out in a cold sweat at the end. In real life racing, you wouldn't expect to be winning every race, especially in an inferior car. Unlike most other racing games, which pander to the lowest common denominator, and give you more than a good chance to win every race, GRID Autosport made me feel ecstatic to finish 3rd. I felt happier and more excited getting this 3rd place than winning any race in Gran Turismo.

So far I am very impressed. The racing in this game is far better than any non-Codemasters racing game I've ever played. It is a home run smash hit as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I'm playing Career mode with very hard AI, full damage, 5x flashbacks, all aids off except ABS, interior dashboard view (no steering wheel), and 5x race distance.

DEV TIP: Turn ABS off.... it's not like GT5/6 ABS. Makes the driving experience more rewarding...especially if using a wheel/pedals.

The game was designed to be played with ABS off for the ultimate experience :) You get front wheel lockups and everything.... makes you have to change driving styles and adapt instead of just pressing the brake pedal :):)

DEV TIP: Turn ABS off.... it's not like GT5/6 ABS. Makes the driving experience more rewarding...especially if using a wheel/pedals.

The game was designed to be played with ABS off for the ultimate experience :) You get front wheel lockups and everything.... makes you have to change driving styles and adapt instead of just pressing the brake pedal :):)

Does this also work correctly when using a DS3?

I got it a day before release date I guess because the post office was efficient :P.

As typical of every recent Codemasters game I've ever played, the first thing I had to do was spend at least 15 minutes messing around with the Advanced Wheel Settings. But this time I kind of screwed it up for myself, because thinking that I have a 900 degree steering wheel I should set Multiturn to ON. That was a mistake. I spent like 10 minutes fiddling around with the settings and nothing I did made the game even remotely playable. I then turned Multiturn OFF, and it was more or less perfect with the default settings *facepalm*. As I've complained with every CM game, they should really have a description for what each setting actually does.

I'm playing Career mode with very hard AI, full damage, 5x flashbacks, all aids off except ABS, interior dashboard view (no steering wheel), and 5x race distance. I just did the first race in Touring, and had a choice between Team Oakley with a Chevy Cruz and Team Razer with a Ford Focus. I chose Team Razer because I like the Focus more. I would guess that these are teams at the lower end of the field, and even though Touring has more or less equal cars, the lower end teams are less developed and has less upgrades which make them slightly slower. The first race was on a version of the Istanbul circuit. I did the full Practice session to get the hang of the car and track.

The handling of the cars are very good. They are still a touch floaty, with less sense of weight than I would like, but nowhere near the extent of how GRID 1 was. That being said, however, I was still a bit disappointed because I was expecting for it to feel more like their F1 games. The handling of the cars in their F1 games feel rock solid, with no floatiness whatsoever. So that shows me that they are definitely capable of producing a handling model that feels absolutely solid, but they chose not to. I don't know why they made this choice, maybe it's a distinctive GRID thing. But it's still very good and definitely very playable, even if it doesn't feel like you're as much in control of the car as you'd think you should be. Maybe open wheel would feel more like the F1 cars, but I haven't played that yet. But if I've never played the F1 games to compare, I'd still be more than happy with the handling.

I then did Qualifying, which is just 3 flying laps. I ended up qualifying 5th, behind the two Ravenwest cars on the front row and the two Team Kicker cars in the second row. Now the race is where this game really shines. I'm playing 5x race distance, so this is a 15 lap race. On very hard AI difficulty, the AI are fast. It really seemed like they were wringing out the last ounce of performance in those cars, because I could barely keep up when I was driving flat out. When you first start out with a crappy team, you wouldn't expect to start winning every race... and in this game you don't. I was lucky on the first lap to get past the 4th place Team Kicker car when the field was still bunched together. But as the laps went on, the leading three cars pulled away from me at about half a second per lap, and the Kicker car I just passed was all over my back like a bad suit. The AI are very quick and very professional. They do bump a bit sometimes, but nothing crazy. The odd thing I noticed was that they sometimes hit me on the rear quarter panel at the end of the straight when they cut back across the track to the racing line after pulling out to get alongside me. But I think this is just a bit of a glitch in their programming, and not done intentionally to be dirty. I had to race defensively the whole race to keep the guy behind me. Then around 2/3 through the race, I suddenly saw the 3rd place car a lot closer to me than in the previous few laps. I got closer and saw sparks flying out of the car. Even then he kept a pretty good pace, and it took me a couple of laps to close up behind him. He eventually made a mistake, and I passed him around the outside of turn 1. I ended up finishing 3rd in my first race, 8.5 seconds behind the race winner.

The race was so intense I was literally breaking out in a cold sweat at the end. In real life racing, you wouldn't expect to be winning every race, especially in an inferior car. Unlike most other racing games, which pander to the lowest common denominator, and give you more than a good chance to win every race, GRID Autosport made me feel ecstatic to finish 3rd. I felt happier and more excited getting this 3rd place than winning any race in Gran Turismo.

So far I am very impressed. The racing in this game is far better than any non-Codemasters racing game I've ever played. It is a home run smash hit as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for the review @Awong124..well done:tup:👍 Challenging AI:confused: What is this magic?!?!

GT6 noABS is very well done with standard brakes for the record. You can adjust it even to the point where you won't lock without ABS but with longer braking distances. Or where you get full lock fairly easily. They did a bang up job actually.

I only ever seem to get full lockup followed by a spin out with ABS off. Either way, I wasn't criticising GT5/6 ABS, just stating that the implementation in Grid Autosport it different.

I'll need to try adjusting my ABS settings in GT6 in that case. :D

I could just feel the intensity the way you described it by reading all that alone. Just watched the IGN review too and it really looks like it can deliver some intense sim-like (atleast) racing on the console. Could get it right away but I'm away from my wheel for a month. Will buy it after a month so I get to experience it on the wheel.

Thanks for posting this :)👍

So what's the career mode like is it long? Will it keep me busy for a long time?

Well, if you set it to 5x race distance, yes. If the first race is 15 laps around Istanbul Short, the whole 5-disciplines are going to take a while...

I gave it a try but didn't really like how it felt. A lot of those race cars have ABS in real life though right? I play the F1 games with ABS off, and I like that just fine. Or maybe I just find Touring too hectic to have to worry about not locking the brakes. I'll try it with Open Wheel and Endurance.

Which platform are you playing on?

PS3, with G27.

So what's the career mode like is it long? Will it keep me busy for a long time?

It looks like it would be quite long.

I gave it a try but didn't really like how it felt. A lot of those race cars have ABS in real life though right?

Nope... at least not the Cat C touring cars. Doubt the others do too. None of the race spec cars I've driver IRL have had ABS :)

I also went into the Online portion for a little bit just to try making a custom livery, and I saw that on the first car you're given to start out with it comes with the same tires as I have for my car in real life :D. Pirelli P-Zero Corsa Directionales on all 4 corners. Perhaps that's the default tire tread design for the Street category. I also seem to recall in GRID the street category used tires with the tread pattern of Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, which I've also used on my car for a time. It's like Codemasters and I are on the same wavelength in terms of tire choice.

Nope... at least not the Cat C touring cars. Doubt the others do too. None of the race spec cars I've driver IRL have had ABS :)

I just watched a video of David Coulthard interviewing Mika Hakkinen about him coming out of retirement to race an endurance race in a Mercedes SLS GT3 and he said that the car has ABS.

Just gave my first go. Played each discipline with a g27. As usual with a CM racer I spent 20 minutes trying to set up my wheel settings.
Unfortunately the issues we experienced with f1 2014 are still there, excessive frame rate drop and random choppy audio cuts. When the audio and visuals aren't buggy the game looks and sounds amazing, though your audiovisual receptors are having a good time the handling model is where it falls short, the inputs don't feel even remotely logical to what is displayed. Don't get me wrong, the cars actually behave like cars this time, not slot cars hopped up on meth like grid 2. To make a summary of it in short, it looks and sounds like and awesome sim racer, but it drives like midnight club. A good racing game for kids and casual gamers, but if your taste is more for a GT game I'd recommend barrowing a copy or playing at a friends house before you drop $50 on another underwhelming Grid experience. I played on a disc copy. I'd rate it at a 5/10.

Im liking Grid autosport alot however one of the worst things that i dont like about this game is the huge lack of teams to race for in single player atleast, seriously ONLY 8 TEAMS? and thats for every category too, just seems incredibly lazy if you ask me.

Just gave my first go. Played each discipline with a g27. As usual with a CM racer I spent 20 minutes trying to set up my wheel settings.
Unfortunately the issues we experienced with f1 2014 are still there, excessive frame rate drop and random choppy audio cuts. When the audio and visuals aren't buggy the game looks and sounds amazing, though your audiovisual receptors are having a good time the handling model is where it falls short, the inputs don't feel even remotely logical to what is displayed. Don't get me wrong, the cars actually behave like cars this time, not slot cars hopped up on meth like grid 2. To make a summary of it in short, it looks and sounds like and awesome sim racer, but it drives like midnight club. A good racing game for kids and casual gamers, but if your taste is more for a GT game I'd recommend barrowing a copy or playing at a friends house before you drop $50 on another underwhelming Grid experience. I played on a disc copy. I'd rate it at a 5/10.

How is the wheel experience once you set it up? Grid 1 and Dirt 1 was completely unplayable with a wheel due to the floatiness. Grid 2 was also terrible because of the drift physics. But Dirt 2 and 3 were great with a wheel (not sim-like great, but certainly good fun and predictable FFB). How is GAS compared to D2/3?

I understand that most of the races will be Gran Turismo length (3-5 laps), but please tell me that the endurance races in GRID Autosport are more than just 12 laps or something ridiculous that involve 1 pit stop. I'd love to have 3 hour (or even longer) races where preserving tires is actually useful and possible saves a pitstop or two. I'm really missing endurance races since the removal of the really long endurance races in GT6 :(

Going by the IGN review, the shortest endurance race length is eight minutes.

They were also extremely critical of the way there are no pit stops in the game, especially when they took the time to model damage, like punctures.

Going by the IGN review, the shortest endurance race length is eight minutes.

They were also extremely critical of the way there are no pit stops in the game, especially when they took the time to model damage, like punctures.

Wait what? There are no pit stops in any of the races? I thought there would at least be pit stops in the endurance races. And since when is 8 minutes "endurance"!? Ah well, I guess I'll skip this game too and hope it's at least a sign they're possible heading the right direction

Wait what? There are no pit stops in any of the races? I thought there would at least be pit stops in the endurance races.
Not according to the IGN review. They point to the endurance discipline as being the weakest of the five, but they loved the touring car, open-wheel and street racing for the close-quarters competition.

I dont trust IGN at all when it comes to racing games, they have been horribly wrong in the past, but yes modeling punctures and no pit stops IS RETARDED, i mean come on some of us dont like using flashbacks all the time, flashbacks just encourage stupid moves. The corner cutting penalties are pretty stupid when its the AI thats forcing me off track, and atleast for touring the AI is a bit too agressive. Although i do like how they will defend the corner, never seen that from AI before. If your looking for a proper endurance racing game you should be looking at PC only titles.

how about the handling ? is it more like Grid 1 or 2 ? if it's more like Grid 1 then i'll be satisfied :D

Its got a tad bit of float to it but its definitely on the Grid 1 side.

I understand that most of the races will be Gran Turismo length (3-5 laps), but please tell me that the endurance races in GRID Autosport are more than just 12 laps or something ridiculous that involve 1 pit stop. I'd love to have 3 hour (or even longer) races where preserving tires is actually useful and possible saves a pitstop or two. I'm really missing endurance races since the removal of the really long endurance races in GT6 :(
Not according to the IGN review. They point to the endurance discipline as being the weakest of the five, but they loved the touring car, open-wheel and street racing for the close-quarters competition.

3-5 laps per race and 8 minute endurance races are the base race distances. You can set them up to 5x that amount if you want. But no, there are no pit stops.

Open wheel feels more like the F1 games with none of the floatiness. Why can't they do that with the regular cars?

Last edited by a moderator:
Open wheel feels more like the F1 games with none of the floatiness. Why can't they do that with the regular cars?

That's a real shame. I always perceive floatiness as a bug, as it makes the driving feel weird and not accurate.

If they put it in on purpose there probably isn't any hope that they fix it :(

I was looking forward to this game, and was hoping that the floatiness in the preview footages was not going to be in the final game.

I'll pass for now.

@anim8r_uk Any chance pitstops and longer endurance races might be added in 'a future update'?
If there's one negative point everyone seems to agree on it's the lack of pitstops seeing the damage model is quite good and punctures are present.

We don't need fancy animations, just fresh tires if needed would be a major step forwards for GAS.

Got in a few hours tonight and I must say, the AI is fantastic. I've only done Touring Car races so far, set to very hard and the only change I made was damage set to visible only. At first your car isn't as fast as the AI but after a couple of new contracts you are close to on the pace if you're smooth. First race I think I qualified 13th!! I struggled at first to keep up with the back of the field.

The physics are fun but simcade, although you can understeer and oversteer into trouble. You can hang the tail out at will but it's not the fastest way around as you scrub off speed when the rear end is sliding. Driving properly is the fastest way around. Throttle on as early as possible, use the whole track, smooth in fast out. The cars are very forgiving but in the sense of not crashing when you make driving mistakes, not in the sense that can still be just as fast while making a lot of mistake.

Graphics are ok (PS3, 55" Sony LED) but I think I'll get the PC version for the clearer picture when I upgrade my PC in July.

Just one night in and one series but I like it so far. If you're looking for Gran Turismo this isn't your game. If you're looking for very competitive racing against the AI and are willing to give up some sophistication in the physics and graphics this is the game for you. The game is worth the price of admission solely for the AI and the offline racing, it's that good. The Algarve track was great, hope it makes it way into other games.

Back