Big changes for GT Academy in 2015

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 173 comments
Then restrict competitors that are going on their third/fourth/fifth try (which there are).
That depends on the way the data protection plays out - as mentioned above, they can't hold data on competitors from 2008-2012, so they "won't know" (will not be legally permitted to know) if someone is going for their second or their fifth try in 2015 if all their previous attempts were prior to the 2013 competition.
There are also talented individuals that didn´t make through because they were unfit and as result of their first failure they decided to improve and work hard on that specific aspect.
As I noted in the article, I've seen a couple of guys who've done so much life-changing stuff after the disappointment of missing out one year to try to get to race camp the next that it makes for a great incentive.

Its not the fact that I am not eligble anymore that is driving me crazy.
Its the communication. Sony is a brand known worldwide and they are not able to change rules and explain the changes in a proper way.
The facts are:

They seem to be happy with the winners who competed multiple times. Nick and Florian. I think all the other winners were first timer. The fitness lvl was raising every year in the national finals.
Its a marketing thing everyone who was on the nationals before knows that the level was raising not dropping. It is just a marketing thing and I understand it. But why telling everyone different reasons. I got a completly different reasoning for example for the 2008-2012 finalist at first.

They are changing rules but not for the whole competetion just for a few. If you would write the same sentence in the International Terms no one would care if they had a final last year in the country or not. It would at least be fair.

I was organising a lot of Dota and Dota2 Tournaments besides my studies.
If we would have that poor communication and reasoning behind rule changes or format changes no team would ever join our tournament after one season.

It is just bad communication and rulewriting. If they just put the sentence "Prior National Finalists are not allowed to enter the competetion." In every Term they released there would be much less people complaining.

If they release them after the finale for the next year. No one would be complaing at all.

But they way they did it and they tried to explain it.(They would not even need to if they would have done it right) it is just bad customer and most important of all Fanbase support.
My example. Now I am angry and mad at them. Not thinking about Gran Turismo or Sony at all. If they have announced that i will not be able to compete next year after the nationals. I would be looking forward to GT7 and even be looking for a ps4 soon. The same reasoning no one of the race camp finalists is mad at Sony.

Gt academy prep room in full effect any one welcome

image.jpg

I didn't qualify in 2014 and didn't attend the national finals in 2013, so, am I eligible?
Yes.

Though I'll add that it's my opinion rather than GT Academy's - but if you didn't attend territory/national finals in 2013/2014 and have never been to a Race Camp, you should be eligible.

Some people probably won't like this, but one thing I will say about GT academy Europe this year with the new format, is really THINK about it before you accept your invitation to Abu Dhabi.

For some people with the potential, this really could be the opportunity to fulfil and nurture a god given natural talent.

For some really really fast gt aliens, this is literally a ticket to Abu Dhabi. I or no body can say don't go, because it is your right to go, but if you know deep down you don't have what it takes to win, I think you're taking away that opportunity for someone with potential to win it.

I only say this, because I know there are a few alien fast guys who are either a bit older, or a bit out of shape and unfit, or just don't have what it takes to be a racing driver.

No offence intended to anyone, but for someone like me, and a couple of other guys I know who are on the fringe of qualification times, we have a lot of track days behind us, own our own track cars, race karts, regularly run and train in the gym, we could really and honestly mount a serious challenge to win the competition, it could be the start of my or someone's life!

Some people probably won't like this, but one thing I will say about GT academy Europe this year with the new format, is really THINK about it before you accept your invitation to Abu Dhabi.

For some people with the potential, this really could be the opportunity to fulfil and nurture a god given natural talent.

For some really really fast gt aliens, this is literally a ticket to Abu Dhabi. I or no body can say don't go, because it is your right to go, but if you know deep down you don't have what it takes to win, I think you're taking away that opportunity for someone with potential to win it.

I only say this, because I know there are a few alien fast guys who are either a bit older, or a bit out of shape and unfit, or just don't have what it takes to be a racing driver.

No offence intended to anyone, but for someone like me, and a couple of other guys I know who are on the fringe of qualification times, we have a lot of track days behind us, own our own track cars, race karts, regularly run and train in the gym, we could really and honestly mount a serious challenge to win the competition, it could be the start of my or someone's life!
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade... but reading that has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Not going to bother with a dialogue but win it because you win it.

Do you not think it would be a shame if someone went but knew they couldn't win it? I really hope when the tv show comes out, it's all guys that look like they've trained hard and really took it seriously.

Like I said it, it wasn't meant to offend at all. Just my opinion.

I can see where your coming from but its that persons dream also - who's to say one is more deserving than the other?

No offense :) - And I know your quick - but winning it outright would leave you feeling more complete - people dropping out would mean a hollow victory. It already would feel like that for me with the masses of other finalists not being allowed to enter.

I was

I was completely agreeing with everything you say until the last paragraph. I'm entering this competition because I believe I have what it takes to win. This is probably the only way for me to get in a car and race it and get the buzz I need. If I had my car and did track days and had the money to go karting on a regular basis then I may not enter. I think the top 4 that do win the onlines may well be aliens and no good in real life I may be wrong. But I don't think someone should win that races regular and has their own track day car.

I don't think anyone that has raced anything should be able to enter. I can't afford to race, cars or karts. I've never raced a thing in my life, I'm just an enthusiast who takes my car on the track.

Like a said before, I really don't think anyone is more deserving than anyone else, I just want the guys who get to race camp to be ready and prepared and to be really looking like they've taken it seriously 👍

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I see the point you are trying to make, I must say your post here comes off very off-putting and self centered. It also makes you sound like you are scared of a little competition. My very goal here with the Academy is the very thing you are against. Everyone here knows that all I want is to be a finalist, that's it. Because of my health issues, among other things, I cannot go any farther than that. You can bet your ass that if I did make it and become a finalist, I would have no problem in making the trip. I have worked my ass off since the second GT Academy, I have overcome adversity to even still have a chance at my dream so you can bet the farm that if I qualified, my bags would be packed in a hot minute. Even if I don't have what it takes to win and be a real race driver, as you put it, I figure that if I put in all the time and dedication that I have and if that email ever came a calling, then I more than deserve to make that trip. If I have taken the chance away from someone who has the potential to win it all, then that's their problem quite frankly. Maybe they should have tried harder in that final round and not let some old crippled up person beat them out. :P

There are two things here, the first one is: its a mega opportunity, 7-10 days in Abu Dhabi with world class instructors and driving some awesome cars, whether you can win it or not, that is a 'money can't buy' scenario. No one is going to turn that down. 2: as there are no national finals, there is nothing to say that all the guys who make race camp from all territories may be old or unfit or whatever so someone who may not seem the total athlete may still have a semi reasonable shot at winning. I've just thought of a third thing: a lot of people are saying the exclusion of 13/14 finalists is unfair and the fastest guys should be allowed to compete regardless so if you are in the top 4, why should you not go?

Lol I knew that wouldn't be well recieved. If I could go back, I'd simply just say:

I hope anyone who gets through takes the comp seriously and turns up the absolute best they could be, and does the opportunity justice.

Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, as I love this place.

Why are we discussing that in that thread. The Topic is that they excluded very fast guys and the competetion is lower because of that. If you get top of course you go. If you cant make it this without all the former finalists you are not fast enough. Everyone will go and its their good right

I agree this bit of discussion has run it's course, but this is the perfect place to discuss it. My worry about low standards at race camp would be because of no national finals this year.

If the standard for getting into GT Academy is a virtual time trial, as long as you meet the requirements, then anyone that wants to go should go. I did two years ago and I got an intense amount of flak for it afterwards. Those people are entitled to their opinion but I'm entitled to respond that I don't really care. I've had to wait years just to make it and despite being at a severe disadvantage, I went and gave all I could. I choose not to return out of respect to those that have a much better chance but that's my choice.

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I see the point you are trying to make, I must say your post here comes off very off-putting and self centered. It also makes you sound like you are scared of a little competition. My very goal here with the Academy is the very thing you are against. Everyone here knows that all I want is to be a finalist, that's it. Because of my health issues, among other things, I cannot go any farther than that. You can bet your ass that if I did make it and become a finalist, I would have no problem in making the trip. I have worked my ass off since the second GT Academy, I have overcome adversity to even still have a chance at my dream so you can bet the farm that if I qualified, my bags would be packed in a hot minute. Even if I don't have what it takes to win and be a real race driver, as you put it, I figure that if I put in all the time and dedication that I have and if that email ever came a calling, then I more than deserve to make that trip. If I have taken the chance away from someone who has the potential to win it all, then that's their problem quite frankly. Maybe they should have tried harder in that final round and not let some old crippled up person beat them out. :P
I dont see nothing self centered at all about that post...

So if someones quick on the sim that gives u the right to be at race camp? Well maybe in nissans eyes, but then you get there and you havent bothered with any other aspect of what lies ahead, fitness aspects and mental aspects of representing a company like nissan and being thrown in there immediately into the spotlight.... Theres alot more to it than just being a super fast GT player....
So many get put to shame on the tv series, ****ing dying or collapsing and expecting to be carried to the end of the course... They seriously havent put time in to actually give themselves the BEST oppurtunity of reaching the final or even winning it.... People will say well i dont have the time to do this and that... I have a family etc etc.... So, lets say you do win the competition, all of a sudden you can just drop everything can you? Personally i think all growling was trying to say is if theirs limited places, and this really is your dream, then take it 100% serious, make the effort in every area, be the best competitor you can be and represent your country well... Theres guys that will push for this with 110% effort and others that will do nothing and just walk in from a few fast hotlaps... Now you tell me which ATTITUDE deserves to win and represent a huge corporation like this?!?
As for ineligibles... Some of them would be on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time of competing at the latter stages... You really think you should just get the opportunity every single year no matter how many times you fail..., and leave someone else who maybe a fraction behind on the game to never get a chance to compete? Even if theres a good number better prepared, or with reasonable real life experience that could potentially go far? Personally i dont thinks that really fair and i would agree with nissan about seeing the same faces constantly... At least 7 of them would be going home yet AGAIN... And well as far as GT talent goes, it means absolute nothing really when theirs been enough aliens that didnt manage to win the competition anyway... Serious GT greats...

Like it or hate it, it aint directed at anyone individually.. thats my opinion

Yes .. But the gamer has to reach race camp... Not just nationals

And lets not forget the judges actually use the words like 'real world experience will help in a big way' or 'being strong mentally and physically is key'...

Doesn't sound like their saying this whole competition should be about how fast you are on a console!!!

And like OUTLAW wrote above, "if you meet the requirements then anyine that wants to go should go".... Perfectly true.... But the fact that so many whine because the 'requirements' have been changed is just a joke... For people in countries that arent jncluded this year then i do generally feel sorry for them, a few i know have prepared immensely hard and havent even managed to get the chance to compete! That is a HEARTBREAKING situation, no doubt...

As for the ones that cant go because they have already participated before... Well how can you even have the nerve to complain?!? You were given a chance, some more than one chance, you didnt take it? you were beaten by better opposition, you didnt prepare well enough or simply you just had an off day... Could be any reason at all. Fact is you failed.

Accept it. Accept the fact you were even given a chance to live a dream like this... Its a free competition... Respect the fact if they want to change the format then they have the the god damn right to do so... Doesn't mean the rules will always be this way....

Just shows that alot of the people that are complaining heavily dont have a great attitude.. How could they handle a loss in the real thing? They still gunna scream and shout and have a tantrum? Should be gracious in anything you do or encounter... Life doesnt always go the way u want and u cant always do anything about it.

Last edited:

And lets not forget the judges actually use the words like 'real world experience will help in a big way' or 'being strong mentally and physically is key'...

Doesn't sound like their saying this whole competition should be about how fast you are on a console!!!
And yet, being fast on the console is what determines who gets into the Academy and they continually push the "gamer to reality" tag.

The reality is that those who succeed do so for their real life experience. They just happen to be competent enough in Gran Turismo.

And like OUTLAW wrote above, "if you meet the requirements then anyine that wants to go should go".... Perfectly true.... But the fact that so many whine because the 'requirements' have been changed is just a joke... For people in countries that arent jncluded this year then i do generally feel sorry for them, a few i know have prepared immensely hard and havent even managed to get the chance to compete! That is a HEARTBREAKING situation, no doubt...

As for the ones that cant go because they have already participated before... Well how can you even have the nerve to complain?!? You were given a chance, some more than one chance, you didnt take it? you were beaten by better opposition, you didnt prepare well enough or simply you just had an off day... Could be any reason at all. Fact is you failed.

Accept it. Accept the fact you were even given a chance to live a dream like this... Its a free competition... Respect the fact if they want to change the format then they have the the god damn right to do so... Doesn't mean the rules will always be this way....

Just shows that alot of the people that are complaining heavily dont have a great attitude.. How could they handle a loss in the real thing? They still gunna scream and shout and have a tantrum? Should be gracious in anything you do or encounter... Life doesnt always go the way u want and u cant always do anything about it.
I'm not complaining to the fact I'm ineligible myself, I have probably done my bit in GT Academy, and right now I have other priorities. I'm complaining because I think they exclude some of the very best drivers. It's true they get rid of the ever returning players that does not have what it takes, but they also get rid of potential winners!

You could take me as an example, I have track experience, I'm easily fast enough in-game, and while I might not be as fit as you, I'm fit enough to be competing in motocross competitions which probably is the most physically demanding sport there is, so I believe it's enough for GT academy. Still I fell right on the line in the national finals, because of mistakes. I can honestly say I have a chance of winning it all. But I should also say that I lack some motivation because I dont like the direction GT academy has taken in recent years (I even noticed a big change in the attitude from Nissan between 2013 and 2014), and thats why I would not be attending in 2015 even if I were eligible.

I agree that restricting other competitors doesnt make the competition as strong as it could possibly be... And yes the gaming aspect decides qualification, pretty sure at nationals though you do real car challenges... So clearly thats telling you gaming aint everything

I agree that restricting other competitors doesnt make the competition as strong as it could possibly be... And yes the gaming aspect decides qualification, pretty sure at nationals though you do real car challenges... So clearly thats telling you gaming aint everything
There is actually very little real car challenges at the nationals. (just 1 Autocross challenge = ~30 seconds driving)

Back