Big issue (bug?) with SR rating

• Thread starter barkohba
  • 65 comments
barkohba
I've not played GTS in almost a month - Last time I was a B-A after a string of 3 horrible daily "bumper-car" races where I got downgraded from an A-S.

Got back in the game yesterday to try out the new tire model. Played the 1st race - got a star for a clean race - no change in SR (the "A" was white, not even blue which normally means it got improved). Played another race, another clean race star awarded - and to my surprise I see my A turned into a red A... Dismissing it as a one-off glitch or something, I play another one - where I got a 3rd clean race star (I was intentionally not pushing and paying attention, my main focus in these 3 races was to get back to an S rating in SR and as close to an A in DR) -and to my complete shock, after a third consecutive clean race with a star awarded, my SR was downgraded to a -RED- B.

I have no idea wtf happened an how this is possible - that is why i assume this is some weird bug or something.

Has anyone else encountered such a mess up? Also, is there ANY way to report this to PD? There is no logical explanation for being consecutively de-graded in the SR department, after 2 clean -STAR- races, from an A to a red B.

I've not played GTS in almost a month - Last time I was a B-A after a string of 3 horrible daily "bumper-car" races where I got downgraded from an A-S.

Got back in the game yesterday to try out the new tire model. Played the 1st race - got a star for a clean race - no change in SR (the "A" was white, not even blue which normally means it got improved). Played another race, another clean race star awarded - and to my surprise I see my A turned into a red A... Dismissing it as a one-off glitch or something, I play another one - where I got a 3rd clean race star (I was intentionally not pushing and paying attention, my main focus in these 3 races was to get back to an S rating in SR and as close to an A in DR) -and to my complete shock, after a third consecutive clean race with a star awarded, my SR was downgraded to a -RED- B.

I have no idea wtf happened an how this is possible - that is why i assume this is some weird bug or something.

Has anyone else encountered such a mess up? Also, is there ANY way to report this to PD? There is no logical explanation for being consecutively de-graded in the SR department, after 2 clean -STAR- races, from an A to a red B.
Do you have any replays?

Do you have any replays?

Nope, I don't usually save the replays and wasn't expecting this shocking SR "progress" to happen.

That's why I'm asking whether anyone here has had a SR downgrade after a clean race (with star awarded) - nevermind 2 or 3 consecutive clean races.

It makes no sense.

There is no logical explanation for being consecutively de-graded in the SR department, after 2 clean -STAR- races, from an A to a red B.

One logical explanation is that SR could be calculated as a moving average, in which case a bad previous score would keep dragging your rating down.

One logical explanation is that SR could be calculated as a moving average, in which case a bad previous score would keep dragging your rating down.

But that would be stupid. I already got dragged down in because of my old races. I've since had 3 consecutive clean star races awarded, and a downgrade from A to a red B. This makes no sense, logically.

Can this be related to your break and then return?

So if you don't play for a month, and then play 3 consecutive star clean races, you get constantly downgraded in each?

I really think it's osme sort of glitch.

But I'm waiting to see if anyone else experienced it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt the silver star for a clean race just for not going off track? and so you can get penalties or atleast SR down warnings for collisions but still get a "star" clean race award.

Unless ofcourse you've been unlucky enough to find a bug, are you 100% certain that you didn't get any penalties and or sr down alerts?

Thanks for this site! Didn't know it.

No worries! It won't tell you why you gained/lost points, but at least you can quantify your DR/SR more precisely. I refresh my profile page after every race to see the points breakdown.

The races might have been 'clean' as in you stayed within track limits, did not bump any walls too hard, or only went off track after getting punted. However the clean race bonus does not mean you didn't have contact with other cars. Any contact, whether your fault or not, whether a big bump or a little rub, costs SR. You can still get the clean race bonus while rubbing with other cars during the race, yet SR is still deducted.

It's not a bug, clean race bonus and contact free racing are not the same thing. Clean race bonus just means you had the potential to get the max SR gain for that track (4 or 5 for a daily A or B, 16 to 30 for a daily C depending on the track). Then all your contacts are deducted from that to get your final SR score for the race.

Isnt the silver star for a clean race just for not going off track? and so you can get penalties or atleast SR down warnings for collisions but still get a "star" clean race award.

Unless ofcourse you've been unlucky enough to find a bug, are you 100% certain that you didn't get any penalties and or sr down alerts?

You still get SR deduction without penalties or SR Downs. SR Down and a penalty are rarely given out anymore, yet every rub still deducts SR in the background. An SR Down alert will negate the clean race bonus however.

The races might have been 'clean' as in you stayed within track limits, did not bump any walls too hard, or only went off track after getting punted. However the clean race bonus does not mean you didn't have contact with other cars. Any contact, whether your fault or not, whether a big bump or a little rub, costs SR. You can still get the clean race bonus while rubbing with other cars during the race, yet SR is still deducted.

It's not a bug, clean race bonus and contact free racing are not the same thing. Clean race bonus just means you had the potential to get the max SR gain for that track (4 or 5 for a daily A or B, 16 to 30 for a daily C depending on the track). Then all your contacts are deducted from that to get your final SR score for the race.

You still get SR deduction without penalties or SR Downs. SR Down and a penalty are rarely given out anymore, yet every rub still deducts SR in the background. An SR Down alert will negate the clean race bonus however.

I'm pretty positive that's not true. I never got a "Clean Race" Star for just staying in the track limits, otherwise I would have had far more, as I rarely go ff track. I have, however, never got a "Clean Race" whenever there was a lot of contact with other cars (my fault or not) and especially when there were penalties involved. I'm 100% sure you can't get a "CLEAN race star" if you get penalties (or too many car contacts). If that would happen, THAT would certainly be a glitch, as you can't get a "Clean" bonus for an unclean race, by definition.

Returning to the point, no, I've had minimal (at best) side-to-side light contact 1-2 times in these 3 races, obviously no penalties. They were clean, specifically driven clean with a lot of backing off in order to avoid any incident, as I mentioned in the original post, I did them to get the SR back. yet the SR went down.

Thanks for this site! Didn't know it.

From what I can tell, on my previous day I had 67 "Manner" points. So yesterday, after 3 consecutive clean races with stars awarded, I "managed" to get from 67 points to a whopping 55.

I am speechless.
This an accumulative figure for the day.

You have also never been an A-S Driver assuming your writing that DR - SR.

Replays are invaluable in this situation

I'm pretty positive that's not true. I never got a "Clean Race" Star for just staying in the track limits, otherwise I would have had far more, as I rarely go ff track. I have, however, never got a "Clean Race" whenever there was a lot of contact with other cars (my fault or not) and especially when there were penalties involved. I'm 100% sure you can't get a "CLEAN race star" if you get penalties (or too many car contacts). If that would happen, THAT would certainly be a glitch, as you can't get a "Clean" bonus for an unclean race, by definition.

Returning to the point, no, I've had minimal (at best) side-to-side light contact 1-2 times in these 3 races, obviously no penalties. They were clean, specifically driven clean with a lot of backing off in order to avoid any incident, as I mentioned in the original post, I did them to get the SR back. yet the SR went down.

See my last sentence, An SR Down alert will negate the clean race bonus. Since the latest changes to the penalty system SR Downs are far more infrequent so true when you hit someone too hard you'll lose the clean race bonus even though you did not get a penalty. I have gotten the clean race star with a (track) penalty however. It seems the limits are different for (minor) short cuts and clean race star.

Side to side contact costs SR, no matter how light. Any contact costs SR. Even if you get punted halfway across the track you still lose SR for getting hit. Unfortunately that's just how it works. If you want SR back, drive the daily C and avoid all contact.

Kudos Prime.

I actually was an S-S Driver for a while, but according to the Kudos Prime info:

"DR is usually determined by Driver Points, but a low Manner Points value can prevent a player to reach a DR rank. Driver Points to DR rules changed the 6th December of 2017. Since the rare S rank is granted once, it doesn't appear in these historic data."

Also, you can easily check my last few months, where I was mostly a B - S Driver. However, I got to a B - S driver after a long period of being an A - S driver ( and then a short period being an S - S driver, pre-renaming update). So I don't know why that appears skewed up in Kudos Prime.

I actually was an S-S Driver for a while, but according to the Kudos Prime info:

"DR is usually determined by Driver Points, but a low Manner Points value can prevent a player to reach a DR rank. Driver Points to DR rules changed the 6th December of 2017. Since the rare S rank is granted once, it doesn't appear in these historic data."

Also, you can easily check my last few months, where I was mostly a B - S Driver. However, I got to a B - S driver after a long period of being an A - S driver ( and then a short period being an S - S driver, pre-renaming update). So I don't know why that appears skewed up in Kudos Prime.

So your saying your DR is incorrectly reported because you have not accumulated enough DR to be anywhere near being rated an A at any point.

By a good many many many races.

But that would be stupid. I already got dragged down in because of my old races. I've since had 3 consecutive clean star races awarded, and a downgrade from A to a red B. This makes no sense, logically.

Moving average makes perfect sense if you want to smooth out a data serie.

Yeah, welcome to the club. I've been trying to go back to S since the 1.23 update with no luck. Same thing that happened to you. Clean race, didn't hit anybody, no SR change. Then yesterday after being able to finally get back to S, in one race with no crashes and just a small penalty for slightly going wide on turn 4 on Nürburgring, I loose 15 points and get back to A.

I have a suspicion that yes, PD does take into account the amount of time that you've been on the level you are to make it easier/harder to move up or down. In another thread where I was discussing this same stuff there are S drivers that say the most they ever lost in a race was 1 SR point. And then if I do some minor stuff I see 10 points taken away from my SR.

I went about a mont or two without really worrying about my SR/DR, just playing and having fun whatever my level was and I guess now I'm paying for it. It's much harder to get to the S and it's much harder to stay there, at least that's what I've found out. I'm gonna try to stay as much as I can on S and see if this changes.

It's much harder to get to the S and it's much harder to stay there, at least that's what I've found out. I'm gonna try to stay as much as I can on S and see if this changes.

I completely disagree its a measurement of how clean a racer you are, taking into account off track excursions, racing incidents, being hit, hitting others

This is my SR trace, and no I do not focus in it I race like I have learned and I race to beat others. SR looks after itself and as far as Ive experienced it does represent the Racers safety attributes.

2B3F6529-843A-47E0-9A9D-A2CB220D9FD7.png

I completely disagree its a measurement of how clean a racer you are, taking into account off track excursions, racing incidents, being hit, hitting others

This is my SR trace, and no I do not focus in it I race like I have learned and I race to beat others. SR looks after itself and as far as Ive experienced it does represent the Racers safety attributes.

View attachment 757418

I never said the SR is different on what you said. I just think that it takes into account your average to calculate how much SR you're gonna win or loose in a race. In the beginning I found it much easier to stay an S and to go back to an S whenever my SR fell, but with time I've been finding it harder and harder to get back to S and to be able to stay there. From your profile you've been playing for 25 days which might be too little of a sample to see these things in effect (once again, just speculating)

Hmm I haven't really noticed any difference in how difficult it is to get back to SR.S. The big difference is penalties are no longer issued for most contacts. The SR deductions are still the same.

I too found it a lot more difficult to get back from SR.B to SR.S on a daily C no less. However, although I was driving clean, many SR.B drivers took the liberty to make contact while passing and there were of course still the punts and bumps from behind. Before the last update that would issue a penalty and they would drop off to the back. Now they simply keep on rubbing and pushing thinking everything is fine.

Remember those 10 sec penalties for brushing a bumper, penalty is gone, 10 SR is still taken off. Those times you got a penalty or SR Down and you're sure there was no contact, still happens except now the game doesn't tell you anymore. Keep a safe distance at all times and your safety rating will go up.

I would love to see the game use a running average or make it harder to get back to SR.S. Yet I still see the same dirty drivers with yoyo DR and SR come back to SR,S without any trouble. They simply drive dirty in SR,S, drop down, start on pole with easy wins and SR gains, repeat.

I never said the SR is different on what you said. I just think that it takes into account your average to calculate how much SR you're gonna win or loose in a race. In the beginning I found it much easier to stay an S and to go back to an S whenever my SR fell, but with time I've been finding it harder and harder to get back to S and to be able to stay there. From your profile you've been playing for 25 days which might be too little of a sample to see these things in effect (once again, just speculating)
Then if thats the case on average your not an S rated SR driver.

Therefore its working as it should, it becomes more accurate as there are more data enty points.

I've had this today. Got a clean race bonus, no penalty, no SR Down shown. After the race i got a red S and from 99 to 95.
Couple of more races after that also no SR Down notification, but i did lost SR.

A bug or did PD changed something?

I have a suspicion that yes, PD does take into account the amount of time that you've been on the level you are to make it easier/harder to move up or down. In another thread where I was discussing this same stuff there are S drivers that say the most they ever lost in a race was 1 SR point. And then if I do some minor stuff I see 10 points taken away from my SR.

I had a race today which makes me think that your suspicion might not be 100% correct. First lap of a Gr4 Race C, a driver hits me quite hard under braking 4 times in the span of 6 corners, pushing other people off in the process. At the chicane towards the end of the lap, let's say I completely forget to brake while I'm behind him. The rest of the race went on with me driving alone at the back, no penalties or shortcuts. Despite being quite regularly between 95 and 99, my SR dropped from 99 to 77 in one corner. Interestingly I had no penalty for that, just the SR loss.

kudosprime.com.png

I went about a mont or two without really worrying about my SR/DR, just playing and having fun whatever my level was and I guess now I'm paying for it. It's much harder to get to the S and it's much harder to stay there, at least that's what I've found out. I'm gonna try to stay as much as I can on S and see if this changes.

I'll share my experience about a couple of races I had after the one I just described, it maybe helps understand a bit more how the system works right now.
The first one after dropping to SR:A has been boring to say the least, jumped into 2nd before the first corner and stayed there until the end. No penalties, no contacts, no shortcuts. SR went up by 1, from 77 to 78.
The next one has been more eventful and I found myself battling with 3 or 4 other drivers. I've exchanged positions several times, a few little nudges here and there but racing has always been fair and respectful. Again, no penalties and no shortcuts. SR went up by 14, from 78 to 92.
As you can see it's quite a big difference, despite both races being clean on my side. The big difference I guess was the fact that in the second one I've been racing clean while having other players quite close behind or in front of me.

I've had this today. Got a clean race bonus, no penalty, no SR Down shown. After the race i got a red S and from 99 to 95.
Couple of more races after that also no SR Down notification, but i did lost SR.

A bug or did PD changed something?

PD changed the SR Down notification a while ago so it only showed when you get a penalty. Now the game is not issuing penalties very much either anymore so even less SR Down notifications. SR is still deducted for every contact. You were too close to other cars during the race. Keep a safe distance to keep your safety rating.

I had a race today which makes me think that your suspicion might not be 100% correct. First lap of a Gr4 Race C, a driver hits me quite hard under braking 4 times in the span of 6 corners, pushing other people off in the process. At the chicane towards the end of the lap, let's say I completely forget to brake while I'm behind him. The rest of the race went on with me driving alone at the back, no penalties or shortcuts. Despite being quite regularly between 95 and 99, my SR dropped from 99 to 77 in one corner. Interestingly I had no penalty for that, just the SR loss.

The 'forget to brake' punt cost you 10 SR despite not getting a penalty. The other 4 contacts also cost you SR. Every contact both cars lose SR. Since the daily C is likely worth 18 points or so, you lost a total of 40 points for contacts during the race.

I'll share my experience about a couple of races I had after the one I just described, it maybe helps understand a bit more how the system works right now.
The first one after dropping to SR:A has been boring to say the least, jumped into 2nd before the first corner and stayed there until the end. No penalties, no contacts, no shortcuts. SR went up by 1, from 77 to 78.
The next one has been more eventful and I found myself battling with 3 or 4 other drivers. I've exchanged positions several times, a few little nudges here and there but racing has always been fair and respectful. Again, no penalties and no shortcuts. SR went up by 14, from 78 to 92.
As you can see it's quite a big difference, despite both races being clean on my side. The big difference I guess was the fact that in the second one I've been racing clean while having other players quite close behind or in front of me.

That's new. On Saint Croix I had the opposite effect. Making up lots of places while getting nudged a few times, net SR loss. Getting spun out early and pretty much drive behind trying to catch up for the rest of the race, big jump in SR. Are you sure you had no contacts in the first race or perhaps had the SR noted wrong?

Interesting... After I posted here I went on a couple of C races and had the opposite experience. First race I started second and someone went flying past me on the first corner and took the pole out (didn't touch me). I went to race the rest of the race in first place by myself, no contact, no nothing. My SR went up something like 10 points. Then I had another race where I started third, and was the whole race battling within the first 4. No contact thou, even got a clean race star at the end. SR went up 1 point.

So at this point I have no clue anymore on how does SR goes.

Interesting... After I posted here I went on a couple of C races and had the opposite experience. First race I started second and someone went flying past me on the first corner and took the pole out (didn't touch me). I went to race the rest of the race in first place by myself, no contact, no nothing. My SR went up something like 10 points. Then I had another race where I started third, and was the whole race battling within the first 4. No contact thou, even got a clean race star at the end. SR went up 1 point.

So at this point I have no clue anymore on how does SR goes.

A video would be easier to determine if there was any close proximity contact. I think it's still as sensitive as it was before, it's just that SR Down is now only shown when the bump is hard enough and the other car goes off track. The penalty thread had a whole bunch of videos where it was near impossible to spot the contact and you had to analyze it frame by frame to see where the speed suddenly drops a little bit faster than possible. PD only fixed the penalties given out for slight contacts, not the SR deductions. Which makes sense, it's not safe to drive so close you can hardly stick a hand between cars.

Clean race means little. I just had another one of those races on Interlagos where I got bumped from behind first then bump passed off the track into a huge shortcut. The other car got the penalty, deserved, and I still got the clean race bonus. A blue S as well, can't see how many points it was as I'm still 'stuck' on 99.

That's new. On Saint Croix I had the opposite effect. Making up lots of places while getting nudged a few times, net SR loss. Getting spun out early and pretty much drive behind trying to catch up for the rest of the race, big jump in SR.

At this point, also considering @daschund latest post, I really don't know why there's so much difference. Maybe it depends on the track and its sectors, maybe the game has higher SR rewards for particular circumstances we're not aware of.

Are you sure you had no contacts in the first race or perhaps had the SR noted wrong?

I'm sure about the SR going up by 1. During that race I simply had no cars around me to make contact with: the leader was way faster than me and didn't stop for fuel, I did the same while being lonely in 2nd so no position changes due to strategy either. Now that I think about it I had a little contact during the last lap though, the guy in 3rd caught up on newer tyres and went for a move. I remember it now because he kindly apologized to me despite not gaining anything from it and being a racing incident. That played a part in the SR score then, but I struggle to remember other situations where I might have lost SR. Maybe there are "hidden" SR drops for shortcuts/track extending without getting a penalty as it is with contacts lately?
Or maybe, as you said about contacts being difficult to spot, it might have been the case during the first half of the first lap, with cars everywhere and the game stuttering a bit because of it. I might have had some contacts during that phase without even realizing it.

Back