Blade Runner 2049Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 99 comments
....Earlier today, I was watching one of the older video blogs Mark Kermode did, called The Mystery of Blade Runner. I didn't know that he produced a documentary eons ago about Blade Runner and its legendary troubled behind the scenes shenanigans.

That's all good and well, but what surprised me the most was that....

.... Kermode did an interview with the director, Ridley Scott and he confirmed that Deckard was an android.

Now, here's the thing - I always assumed Deckard was a human. I really did. And whenever some "educated" bloke came over all flustered and said that's not the case, I politely pointed towards his climatic struggle with Rutger Hauer's android above the rain-drenched rooftop where Ford gets a thorough spanking. If they both were androids then their specs should have been similar if not the same so the disparity between them should not have been that great. Yet, we all know how that "fight" unfolds.

Imagine my shock that Scott himself confirms it. It's like, flip a bloody table moment.

Okay, rant over.
Thats what I was thinking.
If as was pointed, Deckard was programmed to "feel" everything humans feel, will he gain or has he gained consciousness?
Now, will he have that Logan or Han Solo moment in this film?
The world being what it is, does he want to die? Does he even care if he dies? Will he ever die? Has he been fixed to not feel pain?
I hope it's entertaining.

This movie isn't coming out until 2049?!?

Just kidding, I hate that they put these movies in the too-near future. Most of us will be alive in 2049 and we'll think it's silly how futuristic that movie thought 2049 would be.

The extra footage is great. I'm about to watch the old Bubble Gum Crisis series from the late '80s. The Genom building looks exactly like the complex in Blade Runner, Not to mention Priss and the Repricants.

New trailer looks good. I'm staying optimistic.

Robin Wright looks stunning.

This movie isn't coming out until 2049?!?

Just kidding, I hate that they put these movies in the too-near future. Most of us will be alive in 2049 and we'll think it's silly how futuristic that movie thought 2049 would be.

I still laugh at 1984 and the idea of government overlords with cameras everywhere.

2D screening booked for the 5th. Got higher hopes for this than the last film I paid to watch alone and the preliminary reactions strengthen that.

The last of three shorts set during the 30 year gap also went up yesterday. Adds up to about 30 minutes of extra material:

2036: Nexus Dawn
2048: Nowhere to Run
Black Out 2022

Thanks for this, I saw the first two the other day, but I was looking for the third one and ultimately gave up. So thank you for posting all three up 👍

Here's Adam Savage's take on it since he has seen it as well. No spoilers, he loved it. (his opinion starts at 24 minutes on the dot. The link starts it at the beginning.)

Last edited:
Do I need to watch the first one?

I've heard no, but it wouldn't hurt. Just make sure it's the final cut.

After watching the 2049 trailer and realising i hadn't watched the original in twenty years (the directors cut version) i felt i should watch it again before i see the new one.

I've never liked the original - always thought it to be vastly overrated, so hoped that with time my opinion would shift to a more positive one. I was wrong, it's still an average film at best. It's been a much imitated stylistic sci-fi cornerstone for so long now that even that element no longer has the impact it once did.

The Directors or Final Cuts are much better films though if you can hold of them. (i re-watched the original release version as that was the one on TV last week)

...Something I found rather hilarious, in this vlog by Mark Kermode.

In it, Mark tells of a stage presentation of the OG Blade Runner and a Q & A session with Ridley Scott and Denis Villeneuve where the pair began a slight argument on whether Deckard is a replicant or not.

Just finished watching it. Very worthy sequel (or successor) to the first film, because it's pretty much exactly the sort of cinematography, visuals and atmosphere the first film is known for, and then some! Pretty much every scene in this movie is downright beautiful and mesmerizing, even during the action sequences. It looks slow, but suddenly you get so engrossed you don't even notice it. But I would like to extend on 'then some', because the sequel is not trying to emulate the first film. It is taking the inspiration and design of the first, but the second applies it in its own way. And really, I couldn't expect any better than what I just watched. They complement each other very well, in spite of one being 35 years old. That's the bit that is the kicker. With a film this old with a resurrection 3 decades later, and in the end still hit it out of the park..

Trigger Warning: the following post is my opinion and I talk about my opinion. Yours may differ.

Disappointing. Plain and simple. Earlier in the thread I said this:

That it failed to hype me worries me (only thing that hyped me was the title drop with the music).
I saw Blade Runner a few months ago and it was incredible. But this? I won't get my hopes up.

And this:

It's just that real life isn't so simple, it isn't as basic as A+B=C when people and not numbers are involved. Plus while a great sequel builds up on a movie, a terrible (or bad) sequel tends to taint the image of the first. I'm not saying a bad Blade Runner 2049 will make Blade Runner crap, but whenever I watch it again, I will be thinking "and thus came BR2049 and this and this happened... blergh".

Some people consider movies to be separate, I consider movies to be part of a whole. Saying one film is independent of the other is like me judging a book only by the chapters I liked, and forgetting about the rest.

It's sad to see how right I was, then again, I didn't say anything obvious. I won't discuss spoilers, and I feel some things are basically a spoiler no matter how abstract I put them, so I'll just say that:

- You need to have watched Blade Runner to see this film. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Not only will watching the movie help you understand the universe much better, but also the movie relies on you having watched the original to have a much bigger impact.
- There are three short films (one is animated) set between Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Watch those as well.

On the criticism side of things:

- I liked the score, but it felt like "more of the same".
- I enjoyed the visuals, but I liked Blade Runner's so much more. What Blade Runner 2049 had going for it was some pretty good looking set pieces, but overall I'll stick with Blade Runner's any day of the week.
- Harrison Ford is awful. I don't know how else to say it. Maybe it's being unfair because both characters are very similar, but I would expect there to be more difference between Han Solo and Rick Deckard.
- Some things happen in the film that either weren't necessary (and really add up on the length of the film), or were left completely unanswered/forgotten.
- Some major plot holes where I was wondering why "something" wasn't happening.
- It wasn't anywhere near as engrossing as Blade Runner, to me.

And like I said many months ago:

- The sequel tainted the image of the first to me. Blade Runner 2049 is an extension of Blade Runner's story. And in my opinion, it made it worse. Blade Runner was a movie than didn't need a direct sequel. But the Blade Runner universe is indeed very interesting to be left untouched. I would have preferred a film set in the universe, but with no connections with the original film.

I think the film wouldn't have been so disappointing if I hadn't seen the high scores it got from reviewers. I let them hype get to me a handful of days after the film was released, and I suffered...

EDIT:

Was posting these thoughts on another forum and I remembered reading critics said it matched the original and sometimes surpassed it. Must have confused it with The Road Warrior.

Last edited:
Watched it last night and.... loved it.

The cinematography was beautiful. Plus the whole look and design is spot on and looks like you’d expect 30 years on from the last film. (Some Sequels/prequels always look way too glossy and ruin the perceived timeline of the universe they’re set in)

Acting was very good, and Ryan Gosling managed to carry the film and fill his role well, the supporting cast all did a perfect job too, not a dud in the pack.

Direction and editing paced the movie well. At nearly 3 hours it certainly felt long but not in a bad way. If anything they could have added another 15 minutes extra. Also the character development was paced out nicely and let you feel out the people without learning everything in one scene. Basically you’re treated like an intelligent person rather than a dumb shmuck.

Score (this is a bigge for me) it didn’t wow me. Apparently they may not have used Jóhann Jóhannsson’s score (I haven’t confirmed this 100%). For me the original Vangelis score holds a special place in my heart and this one certainly was nice but didn’t hold up well compared. If you liked the Arrival Score (which I also love and own 2 copies of) then you’ll like the deep undulating soundscapes on offer with dashes of Vangelis like sparkle dotted around. Not what I hoped for but I’ll certainly buy a copy as soon as I can and give it The all important independent listen away from the visuals. — Edit — Aparently Hans Zimmer and another guy did the score. Jóhann pulled out for no given reason.

I have to say if you haven’t seen the first movie then you’ll miss out on some of the side nods to the first film. However if you haven’t then I can’t see it being a whole detriment to viewing experiance, you just may draw a blank at some points.

Overall 9/10 for me.

Disclaimer - I’ve seen all versions of Bladerunner and know the script backwards. I’m a huge fan of the original and the novella it’s based on. This movie does hit you in the feels in some parts if you have a strong connection to he first film, you’ll know which bits when you watch it.

Last edited:
I'll be seeing it in IMAX in a couple hours, but just seeing the $30 million earnings from the weekend, I wonder why it did so badly. Must have been the R rating and/or the length.

I'll be seeing it in IMAX in a couple hours, but just seeing the $30 million earnings from the weekend, I wonder why it did so badly. Must have been the R rating and/or the length.

Probably the length and the overall pacing. I spotted a few people leaving before the credits started rolling.

Acting was very good, and Ryan Gosling managed to carry the film and fill his role well, the supporting cast all did a perfect job too, not a dud in the pack.

I was surprised on how they handled Harrison Ford's role in the film. I thought they would give him too much screen-time

Well, glad I chose to see it in IMAX. When your seat is shaking you know you are in the right spot. :) Overall I loved it and can't wait to see it again, though I am not sure about the ending. Great visuals, fantastic soundtrack, superb acting. I'm not good at reviewing things, so I'll just say it's a 9/10 for me.

I was surprised on how they handled Harrison Ford's role in the film. I thought they would give him too much screen-time

Yeh, I thought he would have been used more.

If anything they could have added another 15 minutes extra.

Something about the last 20 minutes felt more condensed than it could have been.

The lack of Niander after Deckards "death" was unexpected but ultimately helped to keep the focus on the characters that mattered there and then. The beginning of the climax also felt abrupt by 2049's standards.

One thing this movie did so damn well at was keep me engrossed when it slowed to what would have otherwise been a painful crawl. Even when you knew what a scene was leading up to and the near-constant unease created by the droning soundtrack, you can just sit back and revel in the building tension.

Decent performances by Gosling and Ford (when I could understand what he was saying with the frog in his throat). Maybe not quite as good as some of the supporting cast members but they did what was needed of them without any glaring missteps.

I'd really like to see some of the behind-the-scenes work on the home release. Rachael's clone didn't require much in the way of facial movements but damn did she look real for a CGI creation.

Back