Bloated Car List

• Thread starter Jimmy_Pop
  • 136 comments
Quite a few of these aren't really dupes, but still. GT's car list doesn't really invite me to be honest. Lots and lots of cars that aren't really at all interesting. In GT6 there are about 20 cars I like, and about 6 or 7 I like to drive, and a few more which are so ridiculously priced that I'll probably never get to drive them (even though I want to) like the Ferrari 250 GTO.

GT6 still has almost 1000 different cars, and that's impressive in its own right. And it's always going to be hard to cater to everyone because everyone has different tastes. I mean, I'd love to have an Austin Healey Sprite in GT6, but I don't think many others would (even if they did add it, I'd want to make it a little Sprite race car, which I wouldn't be able to do). PD seems to struggle a bit with communication with the fans so they're never really sure on what to add.

Quite a few of these aren't really dupes, but still. GT's car list doesn't really invite me to be honest. Lots and lots of cars that aren't really at all interesting. In GT6 there are about 20 cars I like, and about 6 or 7 I like to drive, and a few more which are so ridiculously priced that I'll probably never get to drive them (even though I want to) like the Ferrari 250 GTO.

GT6 still has almost 1000 different cars, and that's impressive in its own right. And it's always going to be hard to cater to everyone because everyone has different tastes. I mean, I'd love to have an Austin Healey Sprite in GT6, but I don't think many others would (even if they did add it, I'd want to make it a little Sprite race car, which I wouldn't be able to do). PD seems to struggle a bit with communication with the fans so they're never really sure on what to add.
It seems few westerners appreciate white-knuckle, 45km/h kei car battles but I do, and I don't even "resort" to the more powerful versions. The first car I got to wrench on was my dad's Jensen Healey back in the late 70s so I can appreciate a Sprite even if others wouldn't, but the first car I really loved owning (actual first was an 81 Chevy Impala) was an S12 Nissan 200SX and I would love to see any S12 in the game even if it's less desirable than other cars. I'm not the least bit disappointed with the selection of cars though because I have plenty of choices in any performance range I want and the more cars there are the more options everyone has.

It seems few westerners appreciate white-knuckle, 45km/h kei car battles
I do! I do! Here's to hoping that some of the more extraordinarily ordinary cars don't get removed when the car list is undoubtedly trimmed for the next iteration. It would be sad to have a GT without little curios like the Daihatsu Midget II, or less conspicuous Japanese cars from the 80's and 90's.

Okay I get it now that specifics have been used. NA Miatas were never sold in the US equipped with the 1839
Actually, they were - but only from 1993 onwards.

But Tornado's point is limited to the trim names and is broadly correct. The names used in GT4, GT5 and GT6 are all trims specific to the Japanese market car - and while equivalent versions of all were sold in European and North American markets, they had different names and frequently slightly different specifications.

Our driveway has seen both an MX-5 Merlot (roughly equivalent to the Eunos Roadster VR Limited, only with a black roof instead of beige and grey leather with burgundy piping instead of beige) and an MX-5 Berkeley (roughly equivalent to the Eunos Roadster SR Limited, only with sparkle green mirror caps instead of chrome), but can never store an MX-5 VR Limited or MX-5 SR Limited because they don't exist.

The rough equivalent of GT4/5/6's list of Roadsters in European trims would be:
Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89 = Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89
Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91 = ?
Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited II (NA) '93 = Mazda MX-5 California '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster V-Special Type II (NA) '93 = Mazda MX-5 SE '93
Mazda Eunos Roadster S-Special Type I (NA) '95 = Mazda MX-5 Classic '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster VR-Limited (NA) '95 = Mazda MX-5 Merlot '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster SR-Limited (NA) '97 = Mazda MX-5 Berkeley '97

Though there would be equipment differences (LSD and electric windows usually) that would alter the weight and handling of the "equivalent" models.

Actually, they were - but only from 1993 onwards.

But Tornado's point is limited to the trim names and is broadly correct. The names used in GT4, GT5 and GT6 are all trims specific to the Japanese market car - and while equivalent versions of all were sold in European and North American markets, they had different names and frequently slightly different specifications.

Our driveway has seen both an MX-5 Merlot (roughly equivalent to the Eunos Roadster VR Limited, only with a black roof instead of beige and grey leather with burgundy piping instead of beige) and an MX-5 Berkeley (roughly equivalent to the Eunos Roadster SR Limited, only with sparkle green mirror caps instead of chrome), but can never store an MX-5 VR Limited or MX-5 SR Limited because they don't exist.

The rough equivalent of GT4/5/6's list of Roadsters in European trims would be:
Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89 = Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89
Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91 = ?
Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited II (NA) '93 = Mazda MX-5 California '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster V-Special Type II (NA) '93 = Mazda MX-5 SE '93
Mazda Eunos Roadster S-Special Type I (NA) '95 = Mazda MX-5 Classic '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster VR-Limited (NA) '95 = Mazda MX-5 Merlot '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster SR-Limited (NA) '97 = Mazda MX-5 Berkeley '97

Though there would be equipment differences (LSD and electric windows usually) that would alter the weight and handling of the "equivalent" models.
Well that seems comprehensive, thank you. And it only took one post to make yourself clear - I'm looking at you Tornado :lol:.

The first thing I purchased when I got GT6 was all 16 of the NSX non-race spec models. I've driven every single one of them for many miles, and there's definitely a difference the Type R, the Types S, and the Type S Zero models. Granted, I can't find much difference among the different model years for each type.

800 million Mazda convertibles, but no Mustang Coupe, no T-birds, no Opel GT, only one of several distinct El Caminos, no 60's Cudas, only one Maserati....

800 million Mazda convertibles, but no Mustang Coupe, no T-birds, no Opel GT, only one of several distinct El Caminos, no 60's Cudas, only one Maserati....
I get the distinct impression that the only reason that we have a Maserati at all is because it happens to be called the GranTurismo. Hurhur. :irked:

Last edited:
If this has been counted by name, for example including Super GT cars with road cars, you're really stupid.

If this has been counted by name, for example including Super GT cars with road cars, you're really stupid.
Wow. Really?

If two of the 800,000 Miatas turn out to be race cars, are you saying his point is invalid because only 798,000 are road cars?

There is definitely a stupid post in this thread, but I don't think it's the OP.
Calling people stupid isn't going to win you any bonus points with the mods. How about we put our grown up hats back on?

Calling people stupid isn't going to win you any bonus points with the mods. How about we put our grown up hats back on?
Why include me in this? HSV called a *person* stupid, I merely implied a *comment* might live up to his accusation.

Well pardon me
BRTky.jpg

Wow. Really?

If two of the 800,000 Miatas turn out to be race cars, are you saying his point is invalid because only 798,000 are road cars?

There is definitely a stupid post in this thread, but I don't think it's the OP.
Really.

How can he count them as duplicates if they have nothing in common apart from a similar name? You may as well say all cars are duplicates because they have wheels.
It's a very silly method of working out that provides hugely inaccurate results.

Really.

How can he count them as duplicates if they have nothing in common apart from a similar name? You may as well say all cars are duplicates because they have wheels.

It's a very silly method of working out that provides hugely inaccurate results.
Hugely inaccurate? No.

Perfectly accurate? No.

More than statistically adequate to illustrate a valid point? Very.

Hugely inaccurate? No.

Perfectly accurate? No.

More than statistically adequate to illustrate a valid point? Very.
How, how, how can he bunch Super GT cars with road cars? How does it make sense?

We don't care. Do not call anyone stupid again.
Fair doose. Stand by my point.

Last edited:
How, how, how can he bunch Super GT cars with road cars? How does it make sense?

He shouldn't. But look at the numbers--the number of Super GT cars are insignificant when compared to the numbers of some models of road cars. Including the Super GT cars introduces some error, but not enough to invalidate the analysis. Are you seriously trying NOT to understand this?

Edit: I just noticed your age. This will make more sense after you've had courses in statistical analysis and logic.

It does invalidate it - he's producing figures of duplicates that are shocking, mainly because they're not duplicates.

It does invalidate it - he's producing figures of duplicates that are shocking, mainly because they're not duplicates.
Prove it. Pic a car like the Skyline or Sylvia or Miata/Eunos/Roadster and add up all the variants. Then subtract the race cars from the total, and show me that the sheer number of street variants is insufficient to prove his point. Guess what--a drop from 30 to 26 is insignificant in this context.

The point is that we don't need dozens of Miatas in a game that lacks the iconic Mustang coupe, the 12 cylinder XKE, and every important Maserati (these are just random examples). We're saturated with mediocre ricers, while much of the automotive world is completely ignored.

The Miata issue is somewhat more exaggerated than the rest, but I can explain it a bit better with the help of a nature analogy:

Imagine if I were to compile a scientific list of what birds I saw when I went outside.
However, when I went out, I decided to count ladybirds as well, because they have a similar name. Of course, you know that ladybirds are insects, and not birds.

When I came back, I said I had a list of 30 similar types of birds, and everybody was shocked - "wow, there are so many birds out there?"

Well in reality, i'd come back having seen 10 identical birds, and the rest were completely unrelated ladybirds.

That would make my outcome very, very different.

The Miata issue is somewhat more exaggerated than the rest, but I can explain it a bit better with the help of a nature analogy:

Imagine if I were to compile a scientific list of what birds I saw when I went outside.
However, when I went out, I decided to count ladybirds as well, because they have a similar name. Of course, you know that ladybirds are insects, and not birds.

When I came back, I said I had a list of 30 similar types of birds, and everybody was shocked - "wow, there are so many birds out there?"

Well in reality, i'd come back having seen 10 identical birds, and the rest were completely unrelated ladybirds.

Of every 30 counted, only 10 are actual birds?

Have you even played GT6??? Are you suggesting that for every street version of the RX7 or Silvia (or whatever) that there are TWO race versions? Even if you reversed that ratio you'd be off by several orders of magnitude.

I'm done. You're being willfully ignorant.

That analogy doesn't fit the Miata situation at all. It would be more like you seeing 10 different birds, then two other people seeing the same birds but giving them a different name.

I was referring to the Supra, for which there were said to be 12 of (counting it as "12 Supras? That's so ridiculous" kind of thing).

As far as i'm aware of, there are 4 road cars, and 8 race cars. That therefore fits the 10/30 rule. All i'm saying is that grouping cars together by name is possibly the worst way of seeing if the are duplicates - the Miata example even proves it from the opposite end, as they have many different names, but are all pretty much dupes of another.

No it wouldn't make the outcome very different. You would have counted 10 identical birds and 20 identical ladybirds, so 28 instead of 29 too many items on your list.

Besides only in parts of NA and UK can a ladybird be mistaken as a bird. Everywhere else in the world the creature has a different name. Tornado can probably explain that one better.

No it wouldn't make the outcome very different. You would have counted 10 identical birds and 20 identical ladybirds, so 28 instead of 29 too many items on your list.

Besides only in parts of NA and UK can a ladybird be mistaken as a bird. Everywhere else in the world the creature has a different name. Tornado can probably explain that one better.
:lol:

This has descended into an argument about what ladybirds are called.

I'm really confused now, and that's the best analogy that most people could relate to, so I give up :lol:

I was referring to the Supra, for which there were said to be 12 of (counting it as "12 Supras? That's so ridiculous" kind of thing).

As far as i'm aware of, there are 4 road cars, and 8 race cars. That therefore fits the 10/30 rule. All i'm saying is that grouping cars together by name is possibly the worst way of seeing if the are duplicates - the Miata example even proves it from the opposite end, as they have many different names, but are all pretty much dupes of another.
If you'd read my posts, you would know I was never talking about the Supra. I asked you to prove your point with numbers, and you haven't.

Using a model I've referred to several times, the Skyline, you'll count 43 versions in the game; only 3 are race cars. Case closed.

But given that you're moving the goal post and focusing purely on the Supra for the first time in this debate, I would submit that 7 Supra race cars (and even the 4 street versions) are silly when very important model lines from other manufacturers are excluded entirely.

Now I'm done. Word of advice: YOU should not be calling people stupid.

Now I'm done. Word of advice: YOU should not be calling people stupid.
Mini-modding isn't something you should be doing.

But given that you're moving the goal post and focusing purely on the Supra for the first time in this debate, I would submit that 7 Supra race cars (and even the 4 street versions) are silly when very important model lines from other manufacturers are excluded entirely.
That's not silly, and i've been trying to say the exact opposite. You need to realise that they are cars that have individual importance.

Using a model I've referred to several times, the Skyline, you'll count 43 versions in the game; only 3 are race cars. Case closed.
I could name at least 5 more racing skylines, so case wide open.

If you'd read my posts, you would know I was never talking about the Supra. I asked you to prove your point with numbers, and you haven't.
Not once have you asked me that specifically, and yet I came back with my point in reference (the Supra), and you can't accept that.

Back