BMW 2-Series & M2

VXR
Along with your V8 family cars, here's another reason why Australian car market is a petrolhead dream.

It's not really any different to saving yourself a few quid on the options list when the M2 hits our shores. If you want the manual, you just don't tick the 7sp M DCT option (which saves £2645 straight away)

If you 'specced out' (i.e. didn't tick any of the options the M2 Pure doesn't have) you'd save yourself about £5000 (which basically the same as the AU$ 10,000 price difference from the M2 'Pure' to the M2 in Australia)

All calling it the 'pure' does, is make it simpler to navigate the options list.

Most of our euro cars come with significantly more equipment standard then what yours tend to from the base model as it's a smaller market and I think bmw couldn't be bothered trying to negotiate the different specs.

The Pure still has quite a bit of standard kit I think could of been left out though Imo.

Can't afford an M2? How about an M240i?
P90219023_highRes_bmw-m240i-coupe.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/17/2017-bmw-230i-m240i-official/

335hp, 369 ft lbs.

Can't afford a M240i? How about a 230i? :sly:

I reckon if you own a 2-Series long enough, you wouldn't lose much value when you have to sell it. Such a shame its successor will be based on a front wheel drive platform. :(

Such a shame its successor will be based on a front wheel drive platform. :(

That's not really confirmed. At this stage everything's rumours, but their have been encouraging reports and interviews recently contradicting the early reports that basically everything sub 3er would be FWD. There is hope...

Can't afford a M240i? How about a 230i? :sly:

I reckon if you own a 2-Series long enough, you wouldn't lose much value when you have to sell it. Such a shame its successor will be based on a front wheel drive platform. :(

I think only the next gen 1-Series hatch will go FWD. The 2 should remain RWD IMO.

That's not really confirmed. At this stage everything's rumours, but their have been encouraging reports and interviews recently contradicting the early reports that basically everything sub 3er would be FWD. There is hope...

I guess not has been confirmed yet, but I'm keeping my expectations low since the next-generation 1 Series saloon has been spied using a front wheel drive platform. However, that could be exclusive to the Chinese market.

I guess not has been confirmed yet, but I'm keeping my expectations low since the next-generation 1 Series saloon has been spied using a front wheel drive platform. However, that could be exclusive to the Chinese market.

The volume products at the entry point need to go FWD because if they don't, they're going to struggle to compete, that includes the F52 sedan (which is China only to begin with at least). The 1er is going to be scaled down a little, and will basically be FWD. Rumour suggests that a sub 3er RWD platform could then be engineered from the UKL platform, and underpin the next gen small coupes, and potential gran coupes and sports hatches. I think it was CEO Krüger that expressed his desire to keep the 2er Coupe true to core values.

I stress this is merely my interpretation of things I've read, but it seems rational... the volume stuff will suffer whilst it stays RWD, so it's reasonable to re-establish it as FWD... but BMW know there's a market for RWD stuff at the lower end too... the question will be, is it big enough to warrant its own, albeit modified, platform.

Like I say, just my 2 cents.

I had a black '80 E21 w/silver BBS RS(I miss that car) and my brother had a Dolphin grey '86 318i E30 M3 running gear w/E36 M3 mesh wheels. It boggles my mind how BMW just can't keep things simple.

The biggest "thing" with a BMW as far as technology, back then, was Bosch fuel injection. Wow! :)

I'm not in the market for any new BMW but, I do hope they keep a smallish rwd BMW in the lineup.

I miss my 318i too.

I'm not in the market for any new BMW either; my wish is for either a well-kept E30 or a BRZ. Except it would have to be a second car because an Impreza Sport is next on my list, which would be much more practical for my line of work, the roads around here, and to tote Tundra around.

-> Any E30's are excellent, but it's getting more and more tedious to find a decent one every year. :indiff:

-> But that M140i tickles my fancy!

So... ...How many guns are gonna end up pointing to my head if i say that i actually like it?
Although the side could be better. Can't say that having a showroom dent around the lower part of the door is the best way to go about designing a car.
And i am having a few more questions about the design now, such as "Why is the grille fake" and "Why aren't there two fog lights on it" and even "Why is there a hole next to the hood and the lights"

Last edited:
The front is actually a rather creative homage. The side is absolutely pitiful, though.

Anything's possible with a privateer effort, but whilst the M235i Racing is popular I don't see a factory M2 GT4 being produced.

These new non-M, but otherwise range topping small cars are getting potent...

Also, I get the desire to do homages and being all nostalgic on the 100th anniversary year, but both this 2002 Hommage and the 3.0 CSL Hommage both look like crap. On the other hand, I think the look ahead to the future with the i3 and i8 have been brilliant.

^ Its about time! Took BMW long enough to realize the cash potential of the F2x chassis, and the 2er GC is a step in the right direction. But BMW could've imported the 1er to fill the gap temporarily... :indiff:

Back